As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'd say my favorite body builder is probably Lou Ferrigno back in his Hercules days.

Not a body builder, but Marv Phillip’s physique has always impressed me ever since I learned of him years ago

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Does anybody lift weights anymore?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nope

I mean yeah sometimes but maintenance isn't exciting to talk about.

I'd like to lift more and get more swole but balance is hard and pushing lifting back to being a priority has been tough lately.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oh hai rotator cuff, do you not like all these over head presses?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Does anybody lift weights anymore?

I still lift weights! I'm on a deload week now. First mesocycle went pretty well, I'm down a kilo without any real diet fatigue or strength loss.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I'm fighting to maintain while I figure out housing and long term scheduling and where strength training fits into that.
    I'm hoping to score a place where I can set up a home gym, so that's something I'll have questions about if it comes to fruition

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Swtiched over to 531 a month ago, just got through my first full cycle. I need to get more volume at the end somehow, time is tight right now unfortunately due to school and work. I like the program though, while its a slower progression than 5×5 the increments feel really smmoth and doable, and I don't get as bored with it, the varying weights and reps keep it interesting. So far so good!

• Options
    This last week has been a complete disaster in training terms. I only got fifty percent of my workouts because I got pumped full of vaccines on Thursday that took me out of the game for the next two days, and today I can't get to the gym because there's a fucking hurricane and the roads are closed.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    First time training in a week - bench day. Didn't really have a plan going in, but after hitting 120kg for 5 on my warmup I decided to go for 6 doubles with 130kg. Hit those pretty decently and then went for something a bit heavier. Almost had a double with 140kg but stalled in my lockout. Then hit some volume and about 5.000kg worth of incline bench press. Decent day.

1r545tcjlcq6.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    That’s all good to hear. I did a metric fuck ton of manual labor yesterday, roughly 10 hours of clearing brush and shit and hit day 13 of squatober this morning. Which means that I was feeling bold and hit my 85% sets with no belt when I probably should have worn the belt.

About to go get some stim on my back after I eat

• Options
    On squats and deads I usually put on my belt at around 70% - I have some abdominal scaring that absolutely will let me know if I don't.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I sort of lift weights still!

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    I've been lifting, but I've also been a shithead when it comes to consistency.

I'm trying to run nSuns 5-day, but I generally am only managing to get 3 days in the gym a week. I think I've only managed the full 5-day once, and I'm on week 5. So I'm a bit embarrassed with myself for lack of discipline.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I took 10 days off bc chrons disease is a motherfucker sometimes. Back on the wagon and lifting my puny man weights though.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    I tried foam rolling for the first time. It’s like magic, I feel better than I have in forever. Here’s hoping it still feels like that tomorrow :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I lost like 6 lbs of bodyweight due to vacation + a cold. :P But I'm still on my workout schedule (5/3/1 + assistance) and pretty pleased with where I'm at

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    w949roo7fynr.jpg

Odd mix of doubles, triples and singles on deadlift today. Followed up with front squats as my tier 2 exercise - managed to hit both a 3 rep and 6 rep pr. Finished off with some boring as fuck seated rows.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Day 14 of squatober is complete.

Felt fantastic

• Options

Felt fantastic

Is it a specific program you're running or is it squatting everyday in all kinds of rep ranges / percentages?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

Felt fantastic

Is it a specific program you're running or is it squatting everyday in all kinds of rep ranges / percentages?

It’s penandpaperstrengthapp on instagram. They got an association with Sorinex and we’re currently dealing with Sorinex to try and outfit our new facilities with their equipment so they want us to participate in it. PPSA has the full plan and is releasing it day by day. I was going to go back and write out everything on here as to how I did it for the shit with percentages and basically have a month long training post up here.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I started the 5x3x1 Monolith program because I was bored with my current PPL program after 9 months.

Day 1 was the closest I've ever came to throwing up at the gym. I don't know if I can keep up with that much volume.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    I started the 5x3x1 Monolith program because I was bored with my current PPL program after 9 months.

Day 1 was the closest I've ever came to throwing up at the gym. I don't know if I can keep up with that much volume.

95% for 5x5 reps after three weeks seems... insane.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    If you nearly threw up from volume on day 1, the program is stupid. Cancel it.

• Options

Well it's not 95% of your true one rep max, it's 95% of your training max. But yeah, still.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    It seems like it's designed for when you plateau and can't progress without gaining weight. I'd go more towards conjugate or Texas method myself, but I know I haven't capped out yet. It's a great excuse to eat a pound and a half of ground beef every day though

• Options
    I just chose it because, as someone who weighs 130lbs, the idea of being the size of a monolith is very appealing. And it was created by the 531 dude.

• Options
    I'm not going to tell you what to do (and I haven't looked up the program), but that sounds like a bad start to me. If your primary goal is hugeness, you're going to want to progress your volume over time. If you're coming out with crazy volume out of the gate, where are you going to go? Plus, if you're 130lbs and relatively untrained you can almost certainly make great progress without working that hard.

• Options
    Agreed. After 9 months though, can definitely see wanting to move to a different program out of boredom.

• Options
    I'm going to give it a week or two just to see how my body takes it. The volume of press, dips and face pulls wasn't the issue, it was just the squats.

I've only ever done 3 sets of squats in a workout, so I just want to make sure that that's not the reason I felt so sick. Going from three working sets to seven was a huge shock physically.

Here's the template if anyone is interested:

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101078918-building-the-monolith-5-3-1-for-size

• Options

Well it's not 95% of your true one rep max, it's 95% of your training max. But yeah, still.

Ah yeah, I forgot Wendlers way of calculating 1rpm's. It's still a lot of volume, but seems more sane. If you still feel like shit after a week of it, try cutting some accessory sets for the next week and see how you feel.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I'm not going to tell Wendler he doesn't know how to program. It looks pretty advanced though.

• Options
    Yeah, it's an incredible amount of accessory volume as well. Looks like at least two hours of training. I'd consider myself pretty advanced and I don't think I could do that kind of extra volume.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I just think someone wants to give Smolov a run for the way too much volume title :P It looks crazy to me, but not impossible if all you did was that and rested every other hour of the day. Reading through his notes on it seems like its his attempt at a bodybuilding routine, just one that focuses on the main lifts as way of getting big.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Jim Wendler's definitely someone who feels like you should do the core big three powerlifting movements and if you want to get bigger then just do a higher volume of traditional accessories.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that but it's pretty simplistic and there are probably more elegant bodybuilding programs out there.

• Options
    I've read reviews of being able to burn through it in just around an hour a session. Run it as big super sets and rest between. I've never run it, so I don't know how realistic that is, but that's what I've read. First day looks terrible with the squats, but as long as you're recovering before the first day of the next week, it will get easier.

Also don't forget to eat a dozen eggs along with that pound and a half of ground beef.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I certainly wouldn't jump into it directly from a beginner routine. A few months of a basic Texas routine would help adapt your body to the volume.

• Options
    What's a Texas routine?

And yeah I tried the eggs thing and I can only manage to get 4 down in the mornings before feeling nauseous.

• Options
    It doesn't sound to me like you're ready for this program, to be honest. That's not a bad thing! It means that you can probably get the same results doing something way, way easier. If eating 4 eggs is a challenge, you're not going to be able to eat enough to support this program.

• Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I personally find squats exhausting so I wouldn’t be surprised if suddenly upping the volume is causing you problems. The volume in that program looks huge so if you’re not replacing the calories for those eggs with something else you’re going to get smaller not bigger. You’ll also start getting too tired to complete the workout.

I couldn’t tell from your earlier post if you’ve been weightlifting for 9 months or just doing your program for 9 months. If it’s 9 months total you may want to look for programs tagged as beginner or intermediate level. That particular one looks like it’s advanced and you don’t do yourself any favours by skipping ahead to advanced programs.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    If you're only 9 months in, I'd seriously consider giving GZCL a run. The programming is fantastic, and supports added volume through traditional accessory work. It would be a good change of pace if you've only ever done a PPL routine in the gym.

PSN: peepshowofforce
This discussion has been closed.