As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Yeah no trap bar at the la fitness gym. Its super convenient so I dont really eant to switch gyms. Fear of re-injury is the main thing.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    If I can do deadlifts, so can you. The single biggest thing that has helped my posture and upper body strength is heavy deadlifts. If you are tall and skinny try doing sumo deadlifts. If you are deadset on doing conventional deadlifts, try doing them of low blocks instead.

Edit: Oh, and fuck Mark Riptoe - in his shitty pseudo powerlifting meets you aren't allowed to pull sumo.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I’ve neglected gym at all because I let my wrist injury be an excuse whee

poo
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I've even started to enjoy overhead military press, the worst lift

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    I've even started to enjoy overhead military press, the worst lift

Get out.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Two PR's on close grip bench press today with 135kg for a single and 120kg for a triple. Did overhead press after which sucked ass.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I had an easier time getting back into deadlifts after a deadlifting injury by lowering the weight and doing more volume. Helped me focus on good form.

• Options
    Walt wrote: »
    I had an easier time getting back into deadlifts after a deadlifting injury by lowering the weight and doing more volume. Helped me focus on good form.

Specifics for sets/reps?

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Walt wrote: »

Specifics for sets/reps?

5x5

• Options
    First time back squatting in a couple of weeks. Did 5 sets of 6 with 120kg. Moved decently, but tweaked something in my lower back on set 4. Had to foam roll for the first time in forever.

Finished off with abs and upper back stuff.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Drank coffee, ate breakfast, drank water, drank protein shake, drank more water, deadlifted. Cut it a little bit short and spent the next hour feeling like I was going up throw up. Still, decently successful day.
    Decided that instead of crossover or hook grip I was just going to use straps when it got heavy. I think it's going to be a good move, feels a lot straighter very and back feels tighter. Hopefully it reduces stress on my hips, thinking that's contributing to my knee problems.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    195lbs refused to get overhead pressed this evening. How am I ever going to get to two plates if you fucks keep fighting back?!?!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    that is a ludicrous amount of weight to put above your head

• Options
    ...are you on the weights’ side, too?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    The more I try to figure out how to get myself up to a 2 plate OHP, the more I see doing push presses to get a bit of extra volume. I'm somewhat convinced that this is a trick, but I've been giving it a chance anyways. The worst case is that your push press gets stronger and you pretend that's the overhead lift you've always been working on... It's basically a win win. But, yeah, ohp is absolutely the slowest increasing lift there is

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The more I try to figure out how to get myself up to a 2 plate OHP, the more I see doing push presses to get a bit of extra volume. I'm somewhat convinced that this is a trick, but I've been giving it a chance anyways. The worst case is that your push press gets stronger and you pretend that's the overhead lift you've always been working on... It's basically a win win. But, yeah, ohp is absolutely the slowest increasing lift there is

My two assistance go tos for increasing overhead are push presses and pin presses from safety bars with a static hold, starting from just overhead. I love them both dearly. Pin presses are great because I get comfortable with higher weights. I’m currently pushing out sets of five with 205 on that.

Gork on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    In my head I keep thinking of 195lb as a completely unnatainable weight, but then I remember the exact conversion to kg and it doesn’t seem super crazy. I’m up to 165lb, which is so god damn close to my bodyweight. I feel like I can get there eventually.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Gork wrote: »

My two assistance go tos for increasing overhead are push presses and pin presses from safety bars with a static hold, starting from just overhead. I love them both dearly. Pin presses are great because I get comfortable with higher weights. I’m currently pushing out sets of five with 205 on that.

Try adding some upper back and rear delt work in. I've always had good results on my presses with that. Especially coming out of the bottom of the lift.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Last bench day in the hypertrophy block. Best movement pattern in a long while.

Added 2,5kg and did 4x6 - didn't have the last rep in me on the last working set though.

b822nkbbe33y.png

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm definitely in the "I dread the gym" stage of my cut.

• Options
    Join the forever bulking cult - we got pizza.

Seriously though, intellectually I know I ought to do some cardio to lose weight, but goddamn if I ever get around to it.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

Seriously though, intellectually I know I ought to do some cardio to lose weight, but goddamn if I ever get around to it.

Does your injury prevent you from doing loaded carries?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

I get my cardio 2 ways.

I walk about 6 to 8 miles a day between my commute to and from work, the walk to and from lunch, and the walk to and from the gym. I try to walk as fast as i can on the to and from work walks. Cleared a 12 minute mile while walking at least once.

I also tac a 15 minute HIIT session (18 minutes with the cool down) on to the end of my 5x5 sets.

• Options

Does your injury prevent you from doing loaded carries?

Like farmer walks? No and I have done them. The issue is more space - the gyms have like 10 meters of sometimes free space to do them in. Honestly, I just need to get my ass to a spinning class once a week. Alternatively, I kinda wantt try doing ruck marches again.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »

I get my cardio 2 ways.

I walk about 6 to 8 miles a day between my commute to and from work, the walk to and from lunch, and the walk to and from the gym. I try to walk as fast as i can on the to and from work walks. Cleared a 12 minute mile while walking at least once.

I also tac a 15 minute HIIT session (18 minutes with the cool down) on to the end of my 5x5 sets.

Hiit is a good idea - I think I saw an assault bike at one of the gyms recently...

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I've been doing LISS cardio. HIIT would be too much fatigue

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I do HIIT twice a week.

I had to buy a heart rate monitor though. The monitors on the machines are a pain in the ass.

HIIT days are great, because I have time to go lounge in a hot tub afterward.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I've been doing LISS cardio. HIIT would be too much fatigue

What's a LISS session look like on paper, like would pacing around for hours fall under that?

• Options
    I sit on a reclining bike for half an hour and keep my heart rate at around 130. Walking you're looking at a brisk walk for an hour.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    If you want to get good at strict pressing the best thing to do is more strict pressing, unless you're already doing it 4+x a week. For most the hardest part is from chest to forehead-height so push-press is of little help with that. Good for learning bracing and building lockout strength though. Doing push-press followed by a strict rep can be useful in developing tension at the bottom and using the stretch to aid the strict press as a semi-overload.

I got 100x3 last year just doing it three times a week, DUP, in 4 wk cycles while my knee healed from surgery.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I do my HIIT training as accessories to the core 5/3/1 program, it works alright. I couldn't handle much more volume ATM than that right now, still getting into armor 2-3 times a week and thats a whole workout in and of itself. But as far as cardio bang for your buck HIIT is rad, 4-10 minutes and I'm done? Yes please. Figure I am going to go through the misery of cardio it should be over asap.

• Options
    I can't fit cardio into my current training passes - it has to be a separate day.

Speaking of, only had time for deadlifts today. Plan was doing 4 sets of 8 with 170kg, which didn't quite happen as my hands were ripping apart. I'm at that point where I consistently can hit 200kg for a single regardless of external factors, so I'm definitely getting stronger

6sfhfsno3mgt.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I update my coach in a vlog every week and kind of freaked out in this one because I dropped 1.5 kilos extremely quickly and saw a big strength drop off. He went through my log and showed how after normalising for various factors ("here's where your weight jumped up after this high carb day, take that out and the average is here" etc) and reminding me that my CNS is likely to be a little sluggish after being so sick last week and reminding me that being strong isn't actually the point right now, I feel a lot better.

I think this is an endorsement of A. having a coach and B. keeping a lot of data

• Options
    Elitefts is running a pre black Friday sale on a bunch of their wraps and sleeves, 35-55% off. This one ends tonight. I ended up finally getting some knee sleeves.
    Great, now I'm excited to see what rogue puts on sale for next weekend

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    I've been really excited to snag some stuff and begin a home gym setup, and so have been anticipating Black Friday for a while.

... And just got notified I'm transferring at work to a new city quite a ways away, so all the fancy gear I had my eyes on would need to be shipped twice.

Womp womp. Guess there's always next year.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Moving heavy equipment blows pretty hard

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I kinda like cardio

that's the one where you put the weights on the sled and push it around right?

• Options
    Its when you curl really fast.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Nah. It's deadlifts for reps. 5 sets of 50.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nah. It's deadlifts for reps. 5 sets of 50.

You evil, evil man...

This discussion has been closed.