As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    baking soda

depending on the acid, that could be a really bad idea
    you want to bring the pH slowly back to neutral, not start a heated chemical reaction

"The solution to pollution is dilution" or, use lots and lots of water.

What about that acid that ignores the skin and goes straight for the bone?

I mean, I'd assume any place using it would have stuff on hand, but this is Korodullin's workplace.

How does that even work?

steam_sig.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    baking soda

depending on the acid, that could be a really bad idea
    you want to bring the pH slowly back to neutral, not start a heated chemical reaction

"The solution to pollution is dilution" or, use lots and lots of water.

What about that acid that ignores the skin and goes straight for the bone?

I mean, I'd assume any place using it would have stuff on hand, but this is Korodullin's workplace.

How does that even work?

Don't think it's a simple acid but actually something that really really really wants to bond with calcium and doesn't give a shit about any of the intervening fleshy bits.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Oh, well, that sounds lovely.

steam_sig.png
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    But... how does it know there's calcium under there?

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    The name of it escapes me, but that chemical is used extensively in electropolishing, and is horrible shit.

Guy at the place that does our work got a small dribble down his glove, didn't feel it right away, and ended up losing two fingers due to the bone damage.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    But... how does it know there's calcium under there?

It doesn't, it just finds all the fleshy bits permeable so as it diffuses it comes into contact with bones and then....

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Man, the office had a file on me that was incorrectly labeled female (because of my name) . Was more awkward for the guy to ask than for me. Maybe been wondering whether i was a trans person or not. Cant imagine what it must be for trans folk going through those kind of things

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Please someone tell me the name of this bone-eating chemical so I can avoid it forever.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I was thinking of hydrofluoric acid, but apparently misremembered as it doesn't ignore the skin, it causes contact burns and then tries to eat your bones.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Don't worry you'll never make contact with HF unless you're a chemist or work in a refinery/chemical plant, and if you do that they require you to wear special gear to even get near the stuff.

But yes it's ultra scary. If I remember correctly a tiny amount making skin contact will kill you.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of hydrofluoric acid, but apparently misremembered as it doesn't ignore the skin, it causes contact burns and then tries to eat your bones.

yes indeed

I once saw a picture of HF burns and I can confirm that it most certainly does not ignore the skin

(I was not trying to find a picture of it, it was shown to me. I promise I'm not a weirdo)

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Don't worry you'll never make contact with HF unless you're a chemist or work in a refinery/chemical plant, and if you do that they require you to wear special gear to even get near the stuff.

But yes it's ultra scary. If I remember correctly a tiny amount making skin contact will kill you.

Unless you work in the same place as korodullin, where they probably tell you just carry it in a leaky bucket and gloves are for wimps.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Turns out management cheaped out on the buckets and the HF dissolved them. Until the new ones come in, please carry it from the dispensary to your workstation in your inverted safety helmet or cupped hands.

steam_sig.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Unless you work in the same place as korodullin, where they probably tell you just carry it in a leaky bucket and gloves are for wimps.

Yes, I have half a mind now to start a GoFundMe to buy koro a bunch of tubes of this stuff. And add any other basic chemical burn first aid because Christ, his job sounds terrifying.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Well, they probably don't have hyrdoflouric acid on site or everyone would already be dead. Since it will eat through various types of rubber and glass it can be a little squirrely to contain. And you may not notice the burns right away if it's dilute enough. And since it reacts with calcium it can react with your bones and trigger cardiac events when a bunch of potassium gets dumped into your blood stream.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Hydrofluoric acid isn't the scariest thing, just make sure your tube of calcium gluconate isn't expired.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Whats the chemical that your body will use instead of calcium to build bones? Like after a couple years after exposure your skeleton will become really brittle due to this chemical making it up instead of calcium. Damn wish I could remember.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    If anyone wants an example of what hydrofluoric acid can do, google Breaking Bad Bathtub Scene. Definitely NSFW.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    If anyone wants an example of what hydrofluoric acid can do, google Breaking Bad Bathtub Scene. Definitely NSFW.

Pretty sure this is why I knew about it in the first place. Looked it up to see if it could actually do what it did in the show, and there were a bunch of posts saying Walt was a big dummy, HF is a terrible method of disposing a body

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Pretty sure this is why I knew about it in the first place. Looked it up to see if it could actually do what it did in the show, and there were a bunch of posts saying Walt was a big dummy, HF is a terrible method of disposing a body

Wasn't that how those Australian murderers tried to hide the bodies? In some kind of barrel filled with acid?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    HF isn't scary because of what it does to your bones. It's scary due to messing up calcium needed for muscles.. Like your heart

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Proposed thread title change: [Jobs] thread, your source for discussions on nightmare chemicals.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yeah, damn

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Man, the office had a file on me that was incorrectly labeled female (because of my name) . Was more awkward for the guy to ask than for me. Maybe been wondering whether i was a trans person or not. Cant imagine what it must be for trans folk going through those kind of things

I had this issue for a while as well before the trans narrative became as well accepted as it has today, just got stumbling men and women until I got them to change it.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm currently rocking a fro due to no money for haircuts.

I got a compliment from a(n attractive) member of the client staff and it made my morning because I just rolled out of bed and barely looked in the mirror. I picked this mess out blindly from instinct and feel really good now.

I am definitely in the camp that thinks fros are incredibly hot.

Now if only I could wake up as dark as my father and brothers, I'd be set.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Whats the chemical that your body will use instead of calcium to build bones? Like after a couple years after exposure your skeleton will become really brittle due to this chemical making it up instead of calcium. Damn wish I could remember.

Radium is similar enough to calcium that your body will deposit it in your bones if supplied a source. Consider the Radium Girls.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    webguy20 wrote: »

Radium is similar enough to calcium that your body will deposit it in your bones if supplied a source. Consider the Radium Girls.

Holy shit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phossy_jaw

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Are we talking about terrifying chemical compounds in here?

Chlorine triflouride! It is substantially more reactive than pure oxygen, meaning it can burn things you wouldn't normally expect to be flammable, like glass, or concrete:
    During the liquid rocket propellant era, a major incident involving ClF3 occurred the first time a one-ton steel container was loaded with liquid ClF3 for bulk shipment. The container had been cooled with dry ice to perform the liquid transfer and help make the product safer to handle, since the ClF3 vapor pressure would only be about 0.007 kg/cm2 (0.1 psia) in the subcooled state. However, the dry ice bath embrittled the steel container wall, which
    split while it was being maneuvered onto a dolly, instantaneously releasing 907 kg (2,000 lb) of cold ClF3 liquid onto the building floor. The ClF3 dissolved
    the 30 cm (12 inch) thick concrete floor and another 90 cm (36 inches) of gravel underneath the spill. The fumes that were generated (chlorine trifluoride, hydrogen fluoride, chlorine, hydrogen chloride, etc.) severely corroded everything that was exposed.3 One eyewitness described the incident by stating, “The concrete was on fire!”

Also dimethylmercury, but that's less scary-awesome and more scary-sad.

sig.png
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

yes indeed

I once saw a picture of HF burns and I can confirm that it most certainly does not ignore the skin

(I was not trying to find a picture of it, it was shown to me. I promise I'm not a weirdo)

Uh-huh.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I swearrrrrrr

no seriously, it was shown to me as part of a safety training

which was weird, because I have never worked a job that required the handling of dangerous chemicals

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's okay BFL, we don't kinkshame here.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I had safety training yesterday and got the obligatory surprise degloving slide.

Fuckers you could at least warn when that slide is coming up

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, just the PHRASE 'degloving' makes me shudder

like, shit

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Are we talking about terrifying chemical compounds in here?

Chlorine triflouride! It is substantially more reactive than pure oxygen, meaning it can burn things you wouldn't normally expect to be flammable, like glass, or concrete:
    During the liquid rocket propellant era, a major incident involving ClF3 occurred the first time a one-ton steel container was loaded with liquid ClF3 for bulk shipment. The container had been cooled with dry ice to perform the liquid transfer and help make the product safer to handle, since the ClF3 vapor pressure would only be about 0.007 kg/cm2 (0.1 psia) in the subcooled state. However, the dry ice bath embrittled the steel container wall, which
    split while it was being maneuvered onto a dolly, instantaneously releasing 907 kg (2,000 lb) of cold ClF3 liquid onto the building floor. The ClF3 dissolved
    the 30 cm (12 inch) thick concrete floor and another 90 cm (36 inches) of gravel underneath the spill. The fumes that were generated (chlorine trifluoride, hydrogen fluoride, chlorine, hydrogen chloride, etc.) severely corroded everything that was exposed.3 One eyewitness described the incident by stating, “The concrete was on fire!”

Also dimethylmercury, but that's less scary-awesome and more scary-sad.

FOOF. The chemical that is it's own onomatopoeia.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Initial phone interview with the HR person at Glowforge next week. Seems like a cool place.

BLM - ACAB
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Those of you who have been following the Jobs threads for a while may recall I had a co-worker who had a nutty.
    They never replaced him, and I've been doing his job as well as the job I was brought in for since then (2.5 months ago). I told my boss that I wanted a sit-down to either plan out who was going to take it over, or to give me a raise commensurate with my work and experience, or to plan how I was going to go into the training that I initially chose to come to this office to take.

TL;DR -- gonna have to dig in my heels and get what is fair to me, which is scary when my only real option is to threaten to withhold services.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    And now this thread's got me re-reading Derek Lowe's "Things I Won't Work With" blogposts..

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    If I got this job, the city would be too far away and the hours too few, but it would sanctify my degree and my skills and give me some background. The limited hours at that much pay would technically be more than I make now, but without benefits.

Still, it would be nice to submit something today.

So I'm submitting it, to say I did.

Do I address the cover letter to whom I would serve under or to whom the city's website says is their human resources staffer?

edit: Fuck it, send it to human resources director, its no big loss, but its a big effort.

RoyceSraphim on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Reading all this discussion about the nightmare chemicals and I am just super interested in researching this sort of thing. So there's my evening worked out.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Hopefully the complaints are recognised as bullshit and it reflects poorly on the serial complainer?

I do not recommend sitting on it and hoping things go away, since odds are the person has done this before and is still working there. Not sure what to do about it though. Tape record noise? Lawyer up? ACLU? :(

So what I think might work or how the situation would be resolved in a perfect world?

Typical fashion for a factory setting: Find Complainer. "What's your problem?" It goes a variety of ways here though odds are on unpleasantness and a headache for whatever management has to clear it up. Will probably go over better with your floor coworkers than involving management though.

A middle road might just be to talk to the supervisor but don't bring asshole up. Be positive, make it about how you're doing on the job and ask if he has any notes for where you could be better. Actually asking for this feedback is a super positive sign for an employee and if your supervisor has half a brain in his head he'll read this as you knowing about asshole. If he's an idiot and mentions asshole's complaints...well you have some cover for the first entry.

Typical way to lose your job, spend a shitload of money on lawyers and maybe someday get something back: Bring up the harassment complaint. Which fucking sucks but not everyone can afford the luxury of principals over food.

Edit: Ah fuck, if your supervisor is actually talking to you about it that sorta short circuits the middle option.

So, talked to my supervisor about how I felt I was being harassed with erroneous and excessive complaints.

He basically said "well ok whatever just quit doing things that people complain about."

And when I asked about maybe talking to someone else, like an HR manager or something, he said that it would only make things worse for me. Which I felt was fuckin weird and shady?

I'm not sure what to do.

• JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    fucking terrible

This discussion has been closed.