Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wireless Routers/Modems, TWC and Me,

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
We have AT&T and they give you a modem router combination that is dogshit. Lately it's been dropping our connection regularly, but it seems to just be the wifi, because our hardwired computers aren't seeing constant interruptions.

I can shut down the wireless in our combo device and use my own router, but I can't replace the modem. So, now I'm looking to switch. They are currently offering their 300mbps (lowest speed is 270) for $64 for 12 months ($74 after that). We pay 60 for internet where the lowest acceptable speed is 21mbps.

The quickness of the connection would be nice, since we do game, however the stability of the signal is by far the most important, as I've been having trouble with dropping out of meetings. I'm still looking to buy my own router/modem and avoid renting. Engadget recommends a bunch of TP-Link models, but none of them are the ones on their compatibility list:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html

Has anyone gone with TWC and bought one of their compatible devices? I'm trying to figure out what is going to be the most cost effective for us, between switching, trying to fix my att, and renting. I feel like getting a router that is going to be at least compatible with comcast as well if we move is the smartest choice?

Chall

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    I recently moved and had to switch from uverse to TWC. Now, I only moved a month ago, and I'm no networking expert, but I went with the ARRIS SB6183 on their compatibility list. It's been really good so far. It was a snap to setup and I haven't had to touch it since the initial hookup.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cable is garbage, stay with AT&T tbh. You'll never see anywhere near 20 megs with TWC, even though it can get up to that.

You can try asking AT&T to switch your modem into bridge mode and then use your own router w/ wifi instead.

There's also stuff like ip-passthrough but that's less good.

Ladies.
    Bridge mode means the modem handles the DSL part, and passes IP to the client connected to it so it can handle routing and firewalling.

IP Passthrough means the modem basically does all it's normal stuff, but creates a private network and makes the modem behind it DMZed to the router. But there's a few different forms of it.

Ladies.
    CelestialBadger
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, I can buy a compatible router and try it with ATT first. Time warner is ramping up their speeds and deals in the area (Austin) because google fiber is spreading like a weed over the town. I would drop the $70 for the fiber, but it's not in my complex. ATT just doesn't seem to be competing right now, and some of the slow downs we've seen have made youtube videos fail to load.

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    bowen wrote: »
    Cable is garbage, stay with AT&T tbh. You'll never see anywhere near 20 megs with TWC, even though it can get up to that.

You can try asking AT&T to switch your modem into bridge mode and then use your own router w/ wifi instead.

There's also stuff like ip-passthrough but that's less good.

I'm very confused by this, as I've been able to get 120+ with both Time Warner and Comcast on cable connections. This is on an advertised speed of 100. If TWC is offering 300 MBPS in your area, I would for sure try it out. In terms of a router, keep in mind that the router will be universally compatible with any connection. You can get a good router and use it on either AT&T or TWC by connecting it to your modem. Like Bowen said, if you have a combo unit, you can put it into bridge mode to bypass the generally terrible router component in the combo unit and send the signal to a decent normal router.

Having had experience with AT&T and TWC before, I would say personally that there's a huge chance TWC will be way more consistent and way faster, but Bowen has apparently had the opposite experience, so I suppose your mileage my vary.

Mai-Kero on
    bowenEnc
    edited April 2016
    Yeah we're advertised as 50 up and like 20 down.

I get 2/2.

But yeah, once in bridge mode, any router will work. TP-link makes pretty decent stuff form home users.

bowen on
    Ladies.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm a big fan of ASUS routers, as well. And Nighthawks are fine.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I've had a lot of experience with those ATT router/modem combos doing what you describe. I wish I could remember the name of the brand offhand, but here's what I know:

Their router/modems come in several brands. They've all got the ATT shell on the outside, but if you look at the stickers you'll see there's actually at least four brands that I've encountered. One of these brands is horrifically prone to the exact wifi issue you mention.

About three years ago I did a weekend's research on it because of how often I encountered those routers on the job and how difficult it was to get ATT to replace them with one of the other brands. The actual consumer version of the router had been pulled off the market because it constantly dropped wifi connections due to a bug in their cheap nonrewritable firmware. ATT, however, kept the ones they made.

So, a very bad router brand made a router so bad they felt bad about it, and ATT was like, "Eh, close enough."

The good news is the wired on it is fine. Disable its wireless and plug in your own router and problem solved. You could try to get ATT to give you a different brand like their Motorolla version, but it's hard to convince them to go along with that and... honestly all of them are bad, it's just this one particular one is actually broken.

Iruka
    @Hevach That's awesome info! That basically solidifies my plan to buy a TWC compatible router and just try that with my ATT service first and see what happens.

Just a small, dumb update. It turns out I have the dumpiest of ATT modems, and it doesn't have a proper bridge mode (see here: https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/How-to-Bridge-PACE-5031-NV-to-3rd-Party-Router/td-p/3612175) Rather than do all this, I'm seeing if they'll give me something else, but I'm probably going to switch services at this point.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Iruka wrote: »
    Just a small, dumb update. It turns out I have the dumpiest of ATT modems, and it doesn't have a proper bridge mode (see here: https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/How-to-Bridge-PACE-5031-NV-to-3rd-Party-Router/td-p/3612175) Rather than do all this, I'm seeing if they'll give me something else, but I'm probably going to switch services at this point.

No matter who you go with, buy your own modem and a decent router. They don't cost very much. If you don't have the money to buy a modem and router, at least buy the router and request they give you a standard modem with a lan port instead of some combo. Cable companies charge from 10-14$ per month to rent a modem that only costs 55$ retail in the first place.

dispatch.o on
    well, according to ATT customer service, they wont let me use my own modem which is bullshit. So I'll probably buy a modem and switch to TWC.

bowen