As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »

I think the boots don't match the rest of the outfit.

Can't comment on the steroid use. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Well, not any more.

DBFZ closed beta pushed back to accommodate increased capacity. Signups were to start tomorrow, now signups start 8/22 for the beta running 9/16-18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVzbAoWMbU

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Capcom having some trouble adjusting to their own character designs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la0SmIuf7Mg

3d fighters came up with special mids and special lows for a reason, dudes

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    You know the more I look at Abigail- He still looks fucking stupid.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    been trying fantasy strike. it seems pretty fun, but i hate playing it on the keyboard, and dont really want to deal with all the witchmagic you need to perform to get a ps3 controller working on windows. I imagine it will be much better to play with a controller, which is also how I feel about brawlhalla.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    been trying fantasy strike. it seems pretty fun, but i hate playing it on the keyboard, and dont really want to deal with all the witchmagic you need to perform to get a ps3 controller working on windows. I imagine it will be much better to play with a controller, which is also how I feel about brawlhalla.

My thumb is fucked so I'm willing to give KBAM a chance but I have no expectations for it to be stellar.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    You know the more I look at Abigail- He still looks fucking stupid.

Super goddamn fun to play, though. Like, insanely fun.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    so ive been playing fantasy strike a bit more, actually against people now. The only character anyone plays is the painter chick. After playing like 7 people and getting wrecked by her over and over i decided to try her and she is op as hell and you can just button mash and win with her.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    so ive been playing fantasy strike a bit more, actually against people now. The only character anyone plays is the painter chick. After playing like 7 people and getting wrecked by her over and over i decided to try her and she is op as hell and you can just button mash and win with her.

She's got some mean stuff. Hope we get some matches together tomorrow. :)

It's funny, for a while I was getting runs of Midoris, then I hit a rich vein of Valeries as I was trying to figure out how DeGrey works.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    I like playing jaina, but it seems like val just hard counters her. She can just cross so much distance so fast and her hitboxes are enormous and quick to come out. The ninja girl is kind of cool but doesnt seem to flow to me. But i think its just i dont have the spacing down for her. I do wish the characters had like double the health bars though. The rounds seem to end way too quick and you end up waiting for the "round x fight" a lot. Overall i do like the game, just some nitpicky things. Could probably use more characters but i know that is a time investment.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I like playing jaina, but it seems like val just hard counters her.

I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that you can punish every one of Val's cross-up options after rekka with Jaina's DP. I know it's a guaranteed hit if she goes for the cross-up option.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Page- wrote: »
    Capcom having some trouble adjusting to their own character designs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la0SmIuf7Mg

3d fighters came up with special mids and special lows for a reason, dudes

Pretty sure that's by design.

Hugo had situations in SF4 where he got hit by stuff other characters didn't because of his size and all it did was make shit unfun for the Hugo player.

Hell, the Sagat match was pretty much unwinnable cause he could shut him down with like two buttons.

Dragkonias on
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Just a thought, but maybe they shouldn't design 10 feet tall characters if they don't want to give them proper hitboxes.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    That particular video has nothing to do with his hurt box though, all those attacks are hard coded to never hit crouching targets.

It's ultimately the same problem of having many attacks just visibly move through the character and look terrible doing it (as if Abigail wasn't ugly enough already).

I was actually interested in getting SF5 when I get a ps4, but after seeing abigail I think I'll just wait till mvc and dbz come out and bide my time with fantasy strike.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I was actually interested in getting SF5 when I get a ps4, but after seeing abigail I think I'll just wait till mvc and dbz come out and bide my time with fantasy strike.

How abot BB/GG/Tekken/KoF?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    BB, GG, and KoF have all been out for a while and are a bit harder to get into than SF5, so I just figure it will be just easier to pick up the new games with everyone else and learn with them. Not to mention it will probably be easier to find people to play against on the newer games. I've just NEVER liked playing tekken games, so T7 just does not interest me, custom characters basically all looking like someone went shopping with mr slave doesn't help. I'd rather play dead or alive or soul caliber than tekken. I'd probably just play smash4 more if 99% of people/nintendo didn't have garbage internet connections.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Just a thought, but maybe they shouldn't design 10 feet tall characters if they don't want to give them proper hitboxes.

I mean some of those moves interact with regular size characters like that too, just more obvious in this case. They are coded to only hit certain states. It isn't an unusual thing to see in fighting games.

I dunno, seems like folks are just scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Dragkonias on
    So fantasy strike is really fun, but the crowdfunding for it has only gone up like 2% during the free weekend. So unless a miracle happens, it's looking pretty grim for the game being funded.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I mean some of those moves interact with regular size characters like that too, just more obvious in this case. They are coded to only hit certain states. It isn't an unusual thing to see in fighting games.

I dunno, seems like folks are just scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

But they do the same thing with low profile characters and it's just as obnoxious.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Yo if you could standing jab Yoda it would look just as dumb

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »

Agreed.

But I also lived through Yoda in SC4, and I would prefer looking dumb to that travesty. He's not even a good character! It's just a chore for everyone involved!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    templewulf wrote: »

Agreed.

But I also lived through Yoda in SC4, and I would prefer looking dumb to that travesty. He's not even a good character! It's just a chore for everyone involved!

Totally. I think Abigail not having an actual 2x hurtbox is good. I think it's visually confusing as hell and I don't get why they didn't make him slightly larger than Birdy.
    Capcom has these weird exponential height scale for design where each additional foot is actually twice as large as the last.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    A bunch of things whiff right over Servbot's head in MvC2, too.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Agreed.

Totally. I think Abigail not having an actual 2x hurtbox is good. I think it's visually confusing as hell and I don't get why they didn't make him slightly larger than Birdy.
    Capcom has these weird exponential height scale for design where each additional foot is actually twice as large as the last.

Even stranger is that some characters are actually way bigger than they should be, because of how they stand. Check out this art analysis from a GDC talk. The height discussion starts at about 15:15. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024558/Art-Direction-of-Street-Fighter

Characters that hunch over are scaled up to keep the same height cues for relative size while still having characteristically terrible posture.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Some UK players got to play with the recent build of MvCI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJgKNGD8wY

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Attacks are just functions, am I right?
    In general I do agree with you. But I think you might be underestimating how bewildering stuff like this is for newer/casual players.

Rex Dart on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty far from being new to fighting games and it looks really fucky. Hits that land based on the hit properties instead of whether they visually look like they should hit is pretty crappy design, either for the combat system or the character design.

The vast majority of fighting games are going to have those moments where hitboxes say things aren't hitting even though it looks like they maybe should (or vice versa), but most of them aren't going to be anywhere near as jarring as some of the stuff you can see with Abigail. And to be honest? These are the kinds of things that should be getting better as time goes on, not worse.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Abigail isn't even the first case of it in SF5. Zangief's SPDs all reach much further than the visuals for the attack except for the closest-ranged version, and they've been that way since the start (and only gotten worse). And there are a bunch of other attacks with loose hitboxes that don't reflect the character animation, either; the only way to know the actual ranges is to have played against them enough to memorized the real distances versus where the character is actually at while attacking.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Capcom, this one's free:
    Give Abigail a krang costume so we know where his real head is

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Jubei gameplay breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK-jAm3eNfM&t=

He has some crazy crossup rushdown mobility.

wVEsyIc.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Every time there is a post about Jubei I get excited thinking everyone's favorite eye-patch wearing, Daisho wielding ronin from Samurai Showdown.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Well, he's pretty close.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    They basied on the same guy from Japanese history.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avsqRayOLC0
    Yoshinoro Ono in disguise asks about fixing Chun-Li's face in Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    They basied on the same guy from Japanese history.

But only one of them has a mage/super scientist daughter with a gigantic robot and a cache of nukes.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    ...with a gigantic robot and a cache of nukes.

we metal gear now b o i z

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
This discussion has been closed.