As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    But to add to that I think older fighters were pretty complex too...folks were just younger and thus had a lot more time on their hands.

Hell, I remember having 100 match sets regularly when I was a kid.

I mean, in a way, sure, but it doesn't seem to follow in a broader sense. A fraction of a fraction actually care about complexity, and saying the audience aged out of it doesn't really make sense when there are x1000 as many people playing and buying games now as there were when these franchises kicked off. There are more younger kids with time on their hands now than there have ever been. It's just that nobody wants complexity across the board, which is why LoL and DotA got popular, not the mention Halo, CoD, and CS. This may actually be a rare case of the kids being the ones who are wrong!

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I still am holding on to the hope that Fighter Z will have Mr. Satan.

But with Yamcha already confirmed adding Mr. Satan will throw all the balance to hell!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    He hires 18 as an assist. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm so done with fighting games. It's sad that I had to hang up my gi, but I'm so burnt out after playing them for almost three decades now. SF5 was a mess at launch and completely boring to play. Truth be told, I was waning hard during SF4 though.

I dropped Tekken after 5 and SC after 2. My peak fighting game years were 94-2004. For me, that was the golden age of fighting games.

These days I just don't find them appealing anymore. Too samey or overly complex. Still enjoy watching high-level play for the mind games and skill involved. The one thing I'd love to see out of MC:I is a return to MvC1 gameplay. 2v2 fighting with limited assists. Really made those assists matter and prevented the game from becoming a bunch of screen filling beams, rockets, and fireball nonsense.

I know you're a big Nintendo fan so this might be a silly question, but did you try Pokken before? Might be worth a look since the new Switch version comes out this week and it's not really mechanically demanding or hugely complex, but has some fairly unique gameplay with it's weird dual-phase system.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've looked at some videos but didn't think it was for me. Honestly, I'm done with all fighting games at this point. Moved on to other games that I can find time to finish (and sometimes even *gasp* finish).

My desire and drive to play fighting games is just gone. It sucks because they were such a big part of my life for a long time, but all things must end eventually. I don't want to put in the time to "get good" anymore. It's all so...boring now. It's not fighting games, it's me. My competitive fire for them is simply non-existent.

There's a lot more things that have driven me away but I don't want to be anymore of a downer than I have to be. People love their favorites and that's cool. I enjoy watching high level play from time to time. Most of the time when I remember the good times I had with fighting games, it was in the arcades or on the couch with my friends. Online play is necessary and a good thing, but it can't capture the fun of a person being right there next to you.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Stylish.

Not gonna lie, I'm down to smash 21.

I can only think of Austin Powers.

"Smashing baby!"

She'll snap it off.

During the sex.

"I'm keeping this, bring me the next one."

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Stylish.

Not gonna lie, I'm down to smash 21.

I can only think of Austin Powers.

"Smashing baby!"

She'll snap it off.

During the sex.

"I'm keeping this, bring me the next one."

...so hot.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Marvel is good, but the fact they look the same as they used to is murdering me due to muscle memory. More command normals and different ways or inputs is just.....argh.

I might not be able to use my boy Nova due to it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Page- wrote: »
    But to add to that I think older fighters were pretty complex too...folks were just younger and thus had a lot more time on their hands.

I mean, in a way, sure, but it doesn't seem to follow in a broader sense. A fraction of a fraction actually care about complexity, and saying the audience aged out of it doesn't really make sense when there are x1000 as many people playing and buying games now as there were when these franchises kicked off. There are more younger kids with time on their hands now than there have ever been. It's just that nobody wants complexity across the board, which is why LoL and DotA got popular, not the mention Halo, CoD, and CS. This may actually be a rare case of the kids being the ones who are wrong!

Thing I will agrue is "complexity" is a loaded term.

There isn't anything wrong with having a learning curve but I do feel that sometimes a game is more bloated and obtuse than complex. And folks will argue complexity for complexity's sake without asking if it actually helps the game's design.

That said fighters are always gonna be a bit more demanding than other genres just because of their structure. But I think even within the genre different levels of technical demand can exist.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Marvel is good, but the fact they look the same as they used to is murdering me due to muscle memory. More command normals and different ways or inputs is just.....argh.

I might not be able to use my boy Nova due to it.

This might explain why I'm using completely different characters than I did in MvC3, not just in who they are but they play totally differently.

From Sakura/Ken/Tron to She-Hulk/Spencer/Phoenix to Gamora/Carol/Time, I loves me some Marvel.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I'm liking Infinite so far, but missing my dedicated launcher button from MvC3. Rolling the stick from down to forward to up at the end of a low ground string results in a fireball instead of a launcher.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Another reason to play on a Hitbox.

My only wish is that they made like a "Hitbox XL" that had normal size action buttons, rather than the small ones. I know the idea is to play more like a keyboard and less like slapping a stick, but I have meaty hands. Oh well, even with the small buttons, you can take my Hitbox from my cold, dead hands. Especially now that I have a Brooks for it and don't need to rely on shaky legacy controller support.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

This might explain why I'm using completely different characters than I did in MvC3, not just in who they are but they play totally differently.

From Sakura/Ken/Tron to She-Hulk/Spencer/Phoenix to Gamora/Carol/Time, I loves me some Marvel.

Same here.

Hulk isn't TOO different....mostly....so I am using him and Nemesis of all people. Big Boy Team.

Figured out a tag combo from Nemesis to Hulk that does a decent amount, but I think I want to wait for lab monsters to figure some more stuff out. The combos are tighter here than in 3 to pull off.

• Options

There isn't anything wrong with having a learning curve but I do feel that sometimes a game is more bloated and obtuse than complex. And folks will argue complexity for complexity's sake without asking if it actually helps the game's design.

That said fighters are always gonna be a bit more demanding than other genres just because of their structure. But I think even within the genre different levels of technical demand can exist.

Sure, and that was probably the wrong word to use. If we're talking pure mechanical learning curves (which is really the biggest barrier in fighting games), then A: modern fighting games are easier to learn and play from top to bottom, and B: the idea that people don't have enough time anymore still doesn't wash with me because there are way more people with way more time still. It's not like kids stopped playing video games after the 90s ended. They just play different games now.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    The timing is tighter, but I think in general the inputs are easier. No fly/unfly (that I've seen yet), no DP motion (they are all down/down now), and the combos tend to all be LP -> LP -> HP -> HK, extender (launch, or whatever), followed by the same string, followed by another extender. I'm sure as people get all optimization station with it that will change, but for now, you can do some pretty sick combos just practicing string -> launcher -> string -> hyper. Again, it's not optimal, but for day 2 of the game, I'll take it. Eventually I'll start working on floor/wall bounce tag combos and such.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Please, someone try Nova mission #9. It's not notated, but it's an 8 way air dash in between each move isn't there?

• Options
    stream
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Designing fighting games that allow for (and come packaged with!) deep single player content and more than just two players playing at a time is the real secret to making a smash-hit fighting game that will bring in people that just don't have "competition!!!" as a motivation to play, or even find competition a discouragement to picking up the game. I know this for a fact.

How do I know this for a fact?

Because one of the most successful fighting game franchises of the past ten years, selling over 10 million units, is Dark Souls.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Few people engage in pvp in those games. Roll insta-backstab by a dude wearing Havel's armor is not fun.

PVP is not the main attraction.

Capcom has Monster Hunter for that group.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm not normally a fighting game player, but I am a huge Mega Man fan, so I got Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and blazed through the story mode today while my cousin watched.

This plot was bonkers, but the way Ultron-Sigma got taken out made me pretty happy!
    Watching a cutscene and seeing a computer display featuring the words "Infinity Buster" got me super hyped for the finale.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Few people engage in pvp in those games. Roll insta-backstab by a dude wearing Havel's armor is not fun.

PVP is not the main attraction.

Capcom has Monster Hunter for that group.

PvP got kinda bastardized, way less fun, and absurdly overpowered for the Host in Bloodborne and especially Dark Souls 3. It sucks. :(

PvP was good in Demon's, Dark, and Dark 2.

Also, I feel like a "Git Gud" is appropriate considering the Souls fanbase.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    "Shit. Shit! Guys, I accidentally deleted all the normalmaps for our skin textures. The game goes gold tomorrow! What are we going to do!?"

"I can make a quick scan of my pleather messenger bag. Maybe nobody will notice."

"Brilliant!"

Hawkeye and Captain Marvel are probably the worst, but most of the human-skinned characters suffer this from one extent to another. That said, I guess I can't knock Capcom for not accounting for people hacking the camera.

• Options
    I kind of feel bad for the developers at Capcom (the people in the trenches, not the execs). They are clearly being asked to produce more and more content, on a smaller and smaller budget, to please their corporate task masters and they just can't catch a break. SF5 releases completely broken and lacking content, clearly needed another six months in the cooker. Now MvCI fixes those issues (it's functional and it has expected content), but the art and presentation clearly needed another six months in the cooker.

In the end, I'd rather we be an an MvCI situation (functional, playable, questionable art), then a SF5 (broken as fuck)...but sheesh.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I kind of feel bad for the developers at Capcom (the people in the trenches, not the execs). They are clearly being asked to produce more and more content, on a smaller and smaller budget, to please their corporate task masters and they just can't catch a break. SF5 releases completely broken and lacking content, clearly needed another six months in the cooker. Now MvCI fixes those issues (it's functional and it has expected content), but the art and presentation clearly needed another six months in the cooker.

In the end, I'd rather we be an an MvCI situation (functional, playable, questionable art), then a SF5 (broken as fuck)...but sheesh.

Agreed. Not sure why they didn't just go with flatter MvC3-style textures, though. The game might be 6 years old, but it looks gorgeous rendered at 4k.

• Options
    Unreal Engine. They probably couldn't figure out how, in a rushed development cycle, to easily get around the physical based rendering system. Lets not forget it took the Guilty Gear devs a SHIT TON of time, and bastardizing huge parts of Unreal's graphics code, to create Xrd. From my understanding they basically had to bring in an Epic graphics engineer, as professional services, just to get over the hump of that change to the engine.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Sure, and that was probably the wrong word to use. If we're talking pure mechanical learning curves (which is really the biggest barrier in fighting games), then A: modern fighting games are easier to learn and play from top to bottom, and B: the idea that people don't have enough time anymore still doesn't wash with me because there are way more people with way more time still. It's not like kids stopped playing video games after the 90s ended. They just play different games now.

My age comment was moreso directed at the older folks who grew up on fighters. Lot of us are probably in our 30s and have a lot more responsibilities.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There's like two arcades left in the solar system.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

The Galaxy... is at peace.

• Options
    Fchamp is a monster. 27 wins so far.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    whew boy, im having fun with marvel

apart from new game jitters the most challenging thing is just keeping pressure up and thats mostly to do with movement.... air dashing crossups, etc..

• Options
    Ok, just finished the story mode. That was a lot longer than I thought it would be! The storyline is disjointed and silly in a lot of places, but Capcom gets credit for effort. At one point, Ryu
    shoryuken's a giant fucking dragon in the head
    so that was kinda neat.

I'm mostly sold on the fighting mechanics; it took a couple dozen matches before I figured out how things were working. There's still some wonkiness in terms of blocking that I haven't quite got a handle on, though. Holding up-back, for example, doesn't result in a perpetual back-jump-while-blocking loop. I often get hit by normal-height attacks when my character touches the ground.

also reality gem is OP capcom nerf plz

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    How do you guys have your fingers positioned above the buttons on a fight stick?

UMvC3 was the first time I went to a stick, and it made sense (index, middle, ring on LMS - thumb got launcher).

Now I'm struggling to figure out how my hand should rest.

I have it set up:

LP HP TAG
    LK HK STONE

and I constantly either ending up shifting my hand over past the LP and LK after I use a stone, or just plain messing up because I can't get to HK fast enough in the BnB.

Any advice?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

I always knew Japan was out of this world.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    mxmarks wrote: »
    How do you guys have your fingers positioned above the buttons on a fight stick?

UMvC3 was the first time I went to a stick, and it made sense (index, middle, ring on LMS - thumb got launcher).

Now I'm struggling to figure out how my hand should rest.

I have it set up:

LP HP TAG
    LK HK STONE

and I constantly either ending up shifting my hand over past the LP and LK after I use a stone, or just plain messing up because I can't get to HK fast enough in the BnB.

Any advice?

For your situation, I just shift my thumb under to hit HK. To crib from piano notation, it's LP (2), LK (1), HP (3), HK (1)

Edit: Since my index finger is always on LP, I use it as an anchor to quickly regain my thumb position whenever I shift.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Played MVC for hours when a friend brought it over, I passed and after playing it...I'm still passing. Holy hell the game is hideous, I thought they might have farmed out the models or something. The gameplay was also pretty dull, all the characters seemed to be fighting in slow motion. The capcom characters all seemed underpowered / underwhelming and the fact that you can just gemspam constantly really killed any sense of actual fun. Guess it's back to Injustice 2 to await DBZ.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    4fjyq63hf5nz.jpg

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes...

• Options
    McHoger wrote: »
    Lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes...

Looks better than most selfies to me. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    That brings us up to at least ten playable villains.

This discussion has been closed.