As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Deans wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    youtube.com/watch?v=PhSwCA22Arc
    I've never actually played a KoF game, but King is one of my favorite fighting game character designs ever. She's just looks ... classy.

Too bad her shirt gets ripped open sometimes when she gets knocked out. Can't believe they're still doing that.

That's disappointing.

I'd love for an SNK vs Street Fighter game where I could have a team of King and Dudley. Team Too Classy for You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO3zhbOfXwI

French duel: Abel and Remy vs King and Elisabeth.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Summer Jam final: Du vs Ricki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O6vJLn6AWE

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    wut?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Maybe we should Karry eXtra Long People who Care?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It's only the smartest move on NRS part to port MK:XL to PC, and in the same stroke, address the myriad of issues the PC game faced. It may be a case of too liittle too late, though. The game was in decline as of last year's EVO, the PC community has been shat upon pretty much the entire time, and releasing the XL content now might make a stride towards "the right thing", for the approximately 20 people still playing it there.

NRS is also going to be pushing Injustice 2 a lot more now, and unless the PC community sees support from day 1, it could end up being the same situation all over again.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Lol fuck MK PC

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    If the upgrade's free I might take a look.

Otherwise? Nooooooope. What an absolute dumpster fire of a port that was.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    That King shirt rip is always going to be a callback to Art of Fighting where everyone thought she was a man. It's the Yuri one that seems egregious. I've always liked King's design, too, and put her a little behind Vanessa for the KOF series.

In the Art of Fighting series, almost all of the characters had special clothing-damaged animations for when they were KO'd by special moves. Ryo's gi would pop open. Robert's vest would disintegrate in a somewhat silly fashion. Faces could also get bruised during the course of the fight. It was kind of neat.

But the female characters losing their clothes is the only thing most people remember from it.

• Options
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    That King shirt rip is always going to be a callback to Art of Fighting where everyone thought she was a man. It's the Yuri one that seems egregious. I've always liked King's design, too, and put her a little behind Vanessa for the KOF series.

In the Art of Fighting series, almost all of the characters had special clothing-damaged animations for when they were KO'd by special moves. Ryo's gi would pop open. Robert's vest would disintegrate in a somewhat silly fashion. Faces could also get bruised during the course of the fight. It was kind of neat.

But the female characters losing their clothes is the only thing most people remember from it.

While it's true that clothes got damaged, in King's case she actually was pretending to be a man during the first Art of Fighting game, so the clothing destruction was a deliberate reveal, as it were.

stream
  • Options
    Yeah, and nowadays the animation is perceived as sexist instead of a nod to the AoF series. So it's disempowering her for no apparent reason.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    kof is here.

Who wants to fight in a lobby?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    stream
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Another notSkullgirls fighting game, another worthless tutorial...

How the hell does super cancel work in KoF 14? Do you just have to have super human hand speed for the 2nd set of inputs?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Another notSkullgirls fighting game, another worthless tutorial...

How the hell does super cancel work in KoF 14? Do you just have to have super human hand speed for the 2nd set of inputs?

Made for kof13 but most likely relevant to 14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfTWzbI_JY

Do the motion as perfectly as you can, press and hold the buttons early.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Yeesh, i think that part of the game is just beyond my filthy casual skill level. Wanted to do the trials and stuff for the characters, but I think I just wont worry about that, and play the story mode and survival ladder and leave it at that...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The trials in this game are weird. For some reason I think it won't accept down/back + Punch or down/forward + Punch when it wants down + Punch.

Keep in mind that trial mode is there to show you what's possible. Its meant to give you ideas to experiment with in training mode.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Man, watching honzo gonzo just destroy dudes with backdash burn knuckle got boring in a hurry.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    The trials in this game are weird. For some reason I think it won't accept down/back + Punch or down/forward + Punch when it wants down + Punch.

Keep in mind that trial mode is there to show you what's possible. Its meant to give you ideas to experiment with in training mode.

Yeah when the trials tell you to do a single hitting normal into a quarter-circle+half-circle special, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to actually play like that.

• Options
    kof is here.

Who wants to fight in a lobby?
    According to Amazon, my copy of the game is still "out for delivery" and "arriving today."

It's 11 pm.

If I someday do possess a copy of the game, please fight me.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    I have to get back to work from medical leave... work til payday... buy a PS4 and KoF14 set it all up; I feel I should get a stick and then I'll be ready!

• Options

I can't even do the super cancel stuff in the tutorial... :P

It's all good though, the basic stuff is easy enough to pull off for me(unless super cancels are basic stuff...) Reviews made it seem like there were more offline SP modes than there are, but there are a lot of characters to play with, so there's a good amount of combinations to run through story mode with.

Never played a KoF game before, feels more forgiving than Street Fighter in terms of combos. Especially since you can just mash LP.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I have to get back to work from medical leave... work til payday... buy a PS4 and KoF14 set it all up; I feel I should get a stick and then I'll be ready!

Hope your aren't planning to play online.

• Options
    Did none of your matches go smoothly last night chamberlain? I at least got one really solid game last night.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Not a one.

Well, the first round of one with frawst was almost in real time.

It's a shame because I think I really like the no faced sand guy and I want to play him outside of the practice room. He just may have teleport shenanigans.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh no, KOF might not have tight links but I feel it's up there in execution.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Was watching a streamer play KoF last night. I'm glad to see that during the fights the characters don't look too bad. But holy hell any time they do a close up or "cut scene" where they talk to each other in story mode it just looks awful.

Gameplay looked fun though. Interesting choice to go with a total game slowdown when dealing with netcode issues.

• Options
    stream
  • Options
    There is an arcade version of DoA?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    So yeah, this game was a day one purchase after the demo. If anyone wants matches, hit me up today!

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

That actually looks pretty cool. But, I am a sucker for ninja. Even ones operating as openly as Mai.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    snk announces netcode patch is on the way for kof 14.

the latest episode of ultrachen comments a bit more on the recent fgc and smash issues, especially around culture and top players. that smash tournaments that started seeding the big names directly into top 8s now have to start forcing fan appreciation time just so they'd actually show up at the venue is next-level bizarre, but highly illustrative of the dissonance going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_z29kkYgcw

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Played KF online for a while yesterday but the netcode is pretty bad, all of my matches regardless of bars were slowed down to a crawl. Bummer. :\

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    official kof facebook page
    [Notice regarding KOF XIV]
    We have confirmed connection slowdowns in online Ranked Match and Free Match modes, which are occurring under specific conditions. We are currently working on a fix to resolve this issue.
    Once the patch's release date has been confirmed, we will inform users as soon as possible. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your kind understanding.

they also announced a sponsored world championship tournament on twitter. belt included? we can dream.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited August 2016

[Notice regarding KOF XIV]
    We have confirmed connection slowdowns in online Ranked Match and Free Match modes, which are occurring under specific conditions. We are currently working on a fix to resolve this issue.
    Once the patch's release date has been confirmed, we will inform users as soon as possible. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your kind understanding.

Those specific conditions being 'trying to play the game online.'

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Apparently many people are calling it some sort of bug specific to ranked and free match--party mode games feel completely different, don't have the slowdown.

stream
  • Options
    Free match has the same problem. Apparently party mode is the one that works.

I want to like the game, I really do, but right now it just doesn't work online. When even Neversoft can get their shit together and get MK playable online there is no excuse for this.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I want to like the game, I really do, but right now it just doesn't work online. When even Neversoft can get their shit together and get MK playable online there is no excuse for this.

Well, I can't speak for KOF XIV (or MK), but historically speaking KOF's excuse has been that the games have never had input lag in the offline game. Blazblue and SFV have a delay built into the game which helps hide delays caused by poor connections. Basically, you can't tell the game is any slower because it's always a bit slower by design. DOA5 does a weird thing where you can actually add input lag to the game in order to, I guess, allow players to practice for online play in the offline content.

Since KOF doesn't do this (at least, I don't think XIV started), and its player base has always been pretty small, I have little hope of ever having a perfect online experience with the series. Prove me wrong, Atlus/SNK!

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Well MKX PC Is official now.

vclmuuswxu1n.png

This discussion has been closed.