As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Both my waifus made it into kofxiv. Praise be.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Vice has always been an interesting character to me. Is she considered a grappler?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Vice has always been an interesting character to me. Is she considered a grappler?

I suppose.

Kof grapplers tend to act differently than grapplers in other games.

I cant speak much to her playstyle before kof13, but she had a command grab that lead to easy safe jump setups for a large number of scenarios.

As far as qualities not normally seen in a traditional grappler.. she had huge damaging combos. Like all grapplers in kof, she had the ability to combo into command grabs. She also had the ability to very easily combo in hd combos in ways that other characters could not. If she anti aired you with any normal move it lead to full hd combo. Air to air j.cd? Full hd combo. St.cd in the corner? Sweep in the corner? Full hd combo.

Really curious to see what they do with her in 14.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    That spinning leg ground slam move looks hilarious.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    That thumbnail of Iori looks eerily like Mads Mikkelsen

• Options
    Tendencies in people who have difficulties in getting better at games by Minami: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/4jjz2a/theory_of_improving_in_fighting_games/

After learning these things, you just have to think, think and think while playing and having fun. The victory condition In fighting games is that you have to beat the opponent in 99 seconds, or have more health than them after 99 seconds. Keep that in mind, and think while you play. Having fun makes playing easier, and getting better easier.

Also, these days it’s very easy to receive advice from top players. While it’s of course not bad to receive advice, if you rely too much on receiving advice, your own thinking won’t grow up. Before asking someone for advice, it’s important to think it through the best you can by yourself.

I wish I was more patient.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Curiously, how many characters are we looking at for the upcoming KoF? Isn't in the 40s?

The upcoming BlazBlue: Central Fiction is at 31 so far and counting (they haven't announced everyone yet), with only one pair of characters being semi clone-ish in the 'Shoto' sense (same drives, one with melee special moves and the other pure ranged).
    Ultra Street Fighter 4 had a stunningly awesome 44 playable characters.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    big rosters kinda suck

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    48 + bosses (1 or 2) + DLC characters (12 rumored, one for each team)

Maybe a few unlockables. Riot Blood Leona and Iori?

Here's some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0fnGuvpdsY

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    big rosters kinda suck

Why? As long as they're updated and balanced over time variety and play styles for everyone is awesome.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    big rosters kinda suck

Why? As long as they're updated and balanced over time variety and play styles for everyone is awesome.

learning 40+ matchups makes for shitty meta game

its why late game USF4 had elena being a top tier meta pick

no one bothered to learn that matchup

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    big rosters kinda suck

learning 40+ matchups makes for shitty meta game

its why late game USF4 had elena being a top tier meta pick

no one bothered to learn that matchup

This is basically Tekken's problem with its inflated rosters. Even competitive players complain about the stupid niche matchup gimmicks required to deal with each character. It's not helped by the pointlessly over-stuffed movelists, either.

Anime games have a tendency toward power creep and clones. It can go wrong.

King of Fighters is helped by the 3 on 3 battles, so more characters get into the matches. And though there will always be balance issues for other games, with bigger rosters there's potential for more viable characters in the end.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The fact that there are 2 buttons kicks and 2 for punches helps reduce the complexity.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Page- wrote: »
    Big rosters can suck for some games. Tekken's inflated rosters have been a problem even for competitive play. Especially anime games have a tendency toward power creep and clones. It can go wrong.

King of Fighters is helped by the 3 on 3 battles, so more characters get into the matches. And though there will always be balance issues for other games, with bigger rosters there's potential for more viable characters in the end.

Yeah, King of Fighters has always been really balanced.

And what I've loved about BB is that there's almost no clones with the largely continuing to grow unique roster.

• Options

I suppose.

Kof grapplers tend to act differently than grapplers in other games.

I cant speak much to her playstyle before kof13, but she had a command grab that lead to easy safe jump setups for a large number of scenarios.

As far as qualities not normally seen in a traditional grappler.. she had huge damaging combos. Like all grapplers in kof, she had the ability to combo into command grabs. She also had the ability to very easily combo in hd combos in ways that other characters could not. If she anti aired you with any normal move it lead to full hd combo. Air to air j.cd? Full hd combo. St.cd in the corner? Sweep in the corner? Full hd combo.

Really curious to see what they do with her in 14.

Well fuck...

Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Umenuki vs Luffy/Bonchan (I think this isn't the final)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRI9-i96xvw

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENVH-Xmj9o

It's like an episode of gootecks and Mike Ross. Even the name of one of them is Ryan.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    So Iron Galaxy is letting some of the KI community demo Gargos before his release.

Maximilian Dood has already found a triple Ultra
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imHm-PTcnQk
    Dat combo.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    189 hits, 7% damage :P

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    More KoF footage on the channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvXHFvRyuJc

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I guess someone is going to talk about the new CPT rules.

Some of the rules are no collusion (rofl), no swearing, no side bets, no money matches, absolutely no Team YP (cigarettes and alcohol are fine, though).

esports etc.

After last week's set of tournaments, it will be interesting to see if anyone has the balls to ever call collusion. The rest are broad enough that they could go either way.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I guess someone is going to talk about the new CPT rules.

Some of the rules are no collusion (rofl), no swearing, no side bets, no money matches, absolutely no Team YP (cigarettes and alcohol are fine, though).

esports etc.

After last week's set of tournaments, it will be interesting to see if anyone has the balls to ever call collusion. The rest are broad enough that they could go either way.

I didn't follow the drama. What happened with collusion?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    There were some not very subtle insinuations that Ricki threw the match against K-Brad to let him go through to grand finals at Canada Cup. Since the top 3 were all EG players, and Justin Wong was deliberately using "low-tier" side characters (which is a whole different can of collusion worms), it was a simple enough way to let Brad get some attention and a win.

Anyway, the biggest and most obvious problem with the CPT rules update is that it's coming out in the middle of May. The league is already 1/3rd over, and you have these very real situations where people are risking retroactive or present bans for stuff that wasn't a problem a month ago. For example, Stunfest is going on right now, and there's at least one Team YP player there in the SF5 tournament. They went to bed last night preparing mentally for a top 8 spot, and woke up possibly banned from the tournament.

Thankfully, Capcom isn't being completely dumb, and has said on Twitter that they're willing to review some of the more obvious problems. And maybe they'll get rid of the word "thuggery" while they're at it, because jeez.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    People have been complaining about the prevalence of wake-up jabs in SF5. Daigo listens.

And Art goes down in pools at his first comeback tournament.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    These interviews get really awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CXSUk3-g4w

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Tokido is having a bad weekend.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I know people like prattling on about "Hype" in pretty much all games that are going for that whole xtreeeme esports thing. I'm really fucking tired of commentators thinking their job is to yell into the microphone.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Damn, Momochi looks really good. I think he's figured out SF5 Ken.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    He has his Capcom Cup spot in his belt. Now it's all the cash prize.

A shame Tokido had troubles.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Dang, Justin has enough points to skip tournaments until EVO. Maybe he can go watch Smash instead playing SF. :P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbz3_562B7s

"To-Ki-Do." "turu-rururu"

Ha!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited May 2016

EDIT: Stole from reddit

LUS1mju.png

"Friend's friend snapped a picture of these two gamers at the airport and not realizing who they are."

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    If you had the wherewithal to care, Capcom has retreated to a more sensible position on the YP ban, and will allow everyone already playing to keep playing. We'll see what next year brings.

stream
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    the more i play laura, elena, ibuki, makoto, and juri the more i realize something:

feet

also, butts and thighs, if we're going to expand things even further in order to also include mika, chun li, cammy, etc.

it's kind of like blizzard's approach to designing stuff in world of warcraft: the more poop quests and jokes about women farting i discover, the more i assume there's some kind of secret fetish going on

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Damnit of course there's something special when I can't stay for finals day

At least it's the late final so I can catch the stream

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    What's really important is that the next playable build finally has Yuri.

stream
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    That Fatal Fury intro made me think I was watching a Guilty Gear trailer for a second.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Characters I hate:

This discussion has been closed.