As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MtG] That was a real nice declaration

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Some quick thoughts:

I'm surprised by the absence of both Dread Return and Reanimate, as I was under the impression those are the reanimations actually played in Legacy/Vintage, though I realize Animate Dead/Worldgorger is "the combo".

The Blue/White Aggro-Control deck seems pretty ridiculous, with tons of cantrips, deck filtering, efficient removal, history's best counterspells (minus Mana Drain), and decent critters.

Temur Value looks like it has the most potential for pure fun, with access to cascade and flashback shenanigans, alongside tons of burn and whatever kooky rares you might pick up.

Black/Green Morbid-Sacrifice looks like they kind of thing I always want to be doing, but I suspect you have to get real lucky to pick up the black cards that are also coveted by all the other black archetypes.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    My conclusions about this set are that I'm going to draft it a couple times on xmage and also that my paper chain lightnings just got rekt. Of course now I can get matching art chain lightnings though.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I went from "hype train won't stop" to "well I can get some edh stuff" real quick.

I feel like I can almost just accidentally build into legacy burn though.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I know a lot of people are going to say this about a lot of cards, but Simian Spirit Guide would have fit nicely here. Same with the green one.

Edit: And no Aven Mindcensor!? Lol, I guess my copy just went up in price. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in Conspiracy, though. It's a good "backstabby" card.

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Lack of port is a huge fuck you

• Options
    No port means not going to bother building death and taxes on mtgo.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    if I had to pick between port and karakas, I'd take rather have karakas because it's twice as expensive

in paper, at least

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    no port is crazy unless they have some digital release or promo of it coming out... that card is like $160 online. It massively warps the online metagame.

I'm mostly personally sad because those two lands were all i needed for paper d&t. oh well, not like I was in desperate need to have a completed legacy deck in my local area, so that I could play with no one

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    no port is crazy unless they have some digital release or promo of it coming out... that card is like $160 online. It massively warps the online metagame.

I'm mostly personally sad because those two lands were all i needed for paper d&t. oh well, not like I was in desperate need to have a completed legacy deck in my local area, so that I could play with no one

conspiracy is a dang weird set

not that i think it'll be in there, but i sure wouldn't be baffled if it were

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options

I was just thinking this

and if it were, it would definitely move more product

I just hope it gets a reprint soon, because boy howdy would it be nice for modo

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I was just thinking this

is there another product like VMA coming out on modo any time soon? because that's how they distributed the conspiracy cards on modo before

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I was just thinking this

is there another product like VMA coming out on modo any time soon? because that's how they distributed the conspiracy cards on modo before

other than conspiracy, nope

they're doing flashback drafts, but they're all modern sets and they're at 10th

• Options
    ScisScis Registered User regular
    Some interesting downshifts w/r/t pauper in this set. Some of the cards that stick out to me

elvish vanguard
    nimble mongoose
    rally the peasants
    warden of evos isle
    night's whisper
    desperate ravings
    kird ape (1st common printing on mtgo)

• Options
    vanguard will probably affect elfball
    goose may or may not go into bogles, and a new delver shell might see rise but other than that I don't see much coming from it
    don't really know what rally will see play in if at all
    evos could be interesting but ehhh
    card draw is always powerful, this will go in mono-b and teachings in the least
    this is way more risky than ravings, but card draw is card draw
    kird ape is maybe the biggest deal here

• Options
    Goose won't go in bogles it has shroud.
    Rally will probably be a 1 of in kuldotha boros or jeskai.
    Warden of Evos Isle is interesting definitely and could be in the new greatest deck of pauper:

Mono blue ghostly flicker!
    You forgot one downshifted card, Peregrine Drake.
    5 mana 2/3 flyer etb untap 5 lands. No more 3 color familiars.

Format is over I'll see yall when they ban ghostly flicker or Peregrine Drake.

• Options
    always forget mongoose is shroud not hexproof

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I HAVE FINALLY DONE IT

top 8'd with goggles, only lost to u/w humans. Felt good about that matchup too, just made some mistakes. AT LAST THE INVESTMENT PAYS OFF

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I sold my collected companies to build a w/r humans deck that I brewed because I'm never Satisfied

• Options
    To be fair it is probably one of the best times to flip coco

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    yeah, it's more the fact that I flipped them to build a probably mediocre deck of my own design instead of buying avacyns for gw tokens

• Options
    don't worry about avacyns, someone just plays goggles and then fiery impulses her twice

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    yes I'm sure that is a common thing that happens all the time

• Options
    i saw it happen against 75% of the avacyns i saw today!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    split top 4 of a win a box, my quarter of the prize had avacyn, nahiri, dec in stone, thalia's lieutenant, and other misc playables

great aurora bringing in the money

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    This is a bit of a bummer: Anteri DQ'd at GP Man

Hopefully this is a case of him caving under the pressure of maintaining success rather than an indication that his prior achievements were the consequence of perpetual cheating.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    someone on reddit pointed out that this is a new Jaya Ballard quote

carbonize.jpg

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    A while back someone posted a long essay on shuffling and cheating. But the short of it is that some very common shuffling patterns don't add much (if any) entropy. Of course, there's a difference between someone using a shuffle like that on purpose and because they don't know better...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

carbonize.jpg

Heh. You know what would be a fun blue creature protection? "If X woud die, bounce it"

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

carbonize.jpg

Heh. You know what would be a fun blue creature protection? "If X woud die, bounce it"

This is a legit rad idea, if a bit tricky to balance. It suffers from the whole Gravecrawler-type cards issue where recurable chump blockers aren't something R&D loves and "can not block" is not in Blue's color pie.

There's clearly a mana cost attached to it (you do have to cast the thjng each time), so it's certainly not free, just something R&D tends to shy away from.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    A while back someone posted a long essay on shuffling and cheating. But the short of it is that some very common shuffling patterns don't add much (if any) entropy. Of course, there's a difference between someone using a shuffle like that on purpose and because they don't know better...

At competitive REL events you are required to shuffle your opponent's deck. Double nickeling or whatever shouldn't matter at all if everyone is doing what they're supposed to do. When your opponent presents, pick that shit up and riffle it a couple times, stack shuffle it a couple times, riffle it a couple more times and give it back. Do this all the time to get in the habit of it. I have people look at me weird at prereleases when I shuffle their deck but it's, like, dude I don't know if you're a close up magician in your spare time, but I ain't got time to have people pull tricks on me.

• Options
    Apparently Anteri's explanation is more or less that he A) has OCD which causes him to do a precise arrangement of his cards after each game and B) he was severely distracted after G1 and didn't even riffle shuffle after this arrangement process and just gave the deck to his opponent to cut. He doesn't exactly sound contrite, but he does seem to understand that he fucked up and accepts any punishment, even if that means suspension. Good guy Matej Zatlkaj is vouching for him, so Anteri may not be the scumlord that the some folks on twitter are claiming he is.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    A) is actually completely understandable. Like yeah, ok I get that and it's ABSOLUTELY a mitigating factor here. If it was just that, Id have no issues and feel no punishment is warranted

B) however, is a touch more iffy and certainly suspicious. Like how do you not riffle or at least do the overhand smash thing (whatever it's called... the shuffle I use because I can not riffle nor do I want to bend my cards if I could)? I can't comprehend forgetting to do that... Maybe rushing to get Game 3 in if time is an issue? But even then.

That said, as to B), I'm also not OCD. It's entirely possible that his condition is what caused him to become so distracted.

It's a tough situation for the Committee that has to make the call here. On one hand, you certainly don't want to punish a guy for a legit mental illness. On the other, the rules are the rules and yhere are risks down the road if you let Anteri off here. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I thought the first Modern Masters was great, but the reprint sets since have really fallen off pretty hard overall

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Really? MM2 seemed way better then MM1.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    And Eternal Masters seems like a much better version of Vintage Masters, albeit lacking some coveted cards and P9.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular

MM2 was nowhere near the value the first go around was

• Options

MM2 was nowhere near the value the first go around was

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah mm2 has a higher ev than mm1

but it was also a higher msrp

• Options
  • Options
    i really want a burn spell with some kind of corny name like 1000 Year Vengeance

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    i really want a burn spell with some kind of corny name like 1000 Year Vengeance

feel the hatred of a thousand years

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.