As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MtG] That was a real nice declaration

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried a grixis goggle deck? Goggling a Kolaghan's Command seems like pretty insane value.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    let's just look at this other match where oh god is that a Narset with 9 loyalty what has happened here

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Glad I got up in time to see LSV combo off once again and likely lock top 8.

EDIT: What a nightmare for Dezan. Also, the odd couple of Randy and Gaby is maybe the least enjoyable booth pairing.

metaghost on
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    So this guy just dropped Avacyn and then played a Hangerback Walker for 0 to immediately transform her

And I cannot believe it never occurred to me that was a thing you could do

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    yeah I noticed that Rubin has Evolutionary Leap, possibly as another way to flip Avacyn on demand

edited April 2016
    This Top 8 is going to be beautiful:

1. Jon Finkel on Seasons Past Control
    2. LSV on Cutthroat Combo
    3. Brad Nelson on Goggles Ramp
    4. Shouta Yasooka on Ojutai Control
    5. Steve Rubin on G/W Tokens
    6. Seth Manfield on Esper Superfriends
    7. Andrea Mengucci on Bant Company?
    8. Luis Salvatto on R/W Eldrazi Midrange

Probably one or two G/W Tokens and a Monowhite Human Aggro.

metaghost on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Boy am I glad I traded for a foil Seasons Past and a regular ass one for two commander decks. Certainly that card will go up in value. Right?

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Boy am I glad I traded for a foil Seasons Past and a regular ass one for two commander decks. Certainly that card will go up in value. Right?

The foil is out of stock on SCG, priced at $20, probably higher when it comes back in. The non-foil is $10 in stock. Feeling pretty good about picking up a couple at $4 last week.

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Fuckin Seasons Past and Dark Petition

Out of nowhere and on the PT

Buddy says, 'yeah those were on my radar, I expected to see a season's past deck at protour'

Hahahahahahahahahahaha you fuckin liar

edited April 2016
    See, they are actively filming collusion on camera while judges watch.

Radius on
    Holy shit what

Also, just wanted to point out that Chye Hsieng probably could have won game 2 vs. LSV by casting Declaration in Stone on the two Cutthroats with Husk on the stack, but I'm guessing he was too focused on Husk and didn't pull the trigger.

Two Bant Company players from the same team played to the end of extra rounds, no one was going to win, so they took the last turn to discuss who should concede.

That is duuuumb

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Also, just wanted to point out that Chye Hsieng probably could have won game 2 vs. LSV by casting Declaration in Stone on the two Cutthroats with Husk on the stack, but I'm guessing he was too focused on Husk and didn't pull the trigger.

declaration is a sorcery

edited April 2016
    LSV posted his "how-to" for their deck: channelfireball.com/articles/bg-sacrifice-deck-tech/

And definitely awkward and disappointing to watch Mengucci more or less coerce his teammate into conceding. Given infinite turns, maybe Mengucci really was in the better position, but it still looked like terrible for the game.

EDIT: Apparently with no more Reflector Mages, Mori had no ability to interact with Dragonlord Dromoka and would have died into in ~4 (assuming at least one chumpblock from Avacyn).

metaghost on
    Kilroy wrote: »

declaration is a sorcery

Oh shit. Ha. I was convinced it was Instant due to its similarity to Path to Exile (and Anguished Unmaking being instant).

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm behind cause I'm still watching Day 1 replays cause I want to watch every round. Will probably break that to watch whatever I can of top 8 tommorrow to root for LSV.

Anyway, watching Finkel vs Manfield now. Finkel's deck seems sweet. And Manfield is running MD Spell Shrivel??? Waaaaat?

It kinda makes sense actually. Mana just isn't there in a three color deck like Esper to guarantee double U so Spell Shrivel does a decent job of emulating a Cancel.

APODionysus on
    I'm behind cause I'm still watching Day 1 replays cause I want to watch every round. Will probably break that to watch whatever I can of top 8 tommorrow to root for LSV.

Anyway, watching Finkel vs Manfield now. Finkel's deck seems sweet. And Manfield is running MD Spell Shrivel??? Waaaaat?

It kinda makes sense actually. Mana just isn't there in a three color deck like Esper to guarantee double U so Spell Shrivel does a decent job of emulating a Cancel.

As far as I know, he's not running the Dragon-package either, so he doesn't have access to Silumgar's Scorn.

edited April 2016

As far as I know, he's not running the Dragon-package either, so he doesn't have access to Silumgar's Scorn.

Yeah looks like his haymakers are NewJace(!), Sorin, and Sphinx of the Final Word.

Edit: while Shrivel looks good against Finkel it does seems just awkward against a Metagame of BG Sacrifhce and MonoW. Their spells are so cheap and/or replaceable (and BG ends up with access to so much mana) that I feel like it's just not gonna get there a lot.

Edit 2: Manfield is also running Narset! Is Narset finally gonna live up to some fraction of her hype? (Answer: probably not).

Edit 3: and there's an Ojutai. So Manfield at LEAST has access to it out of the board. Which is actually kinda neat. Your a Planeswalker deck G1 which means your opponent is probably boarding out Languish and Decleration, etc since they are awful against Walkers and Sphinx.

Then boom Ojutai

APODionysus on
    KalTorak wrote: »

The foil is out of stock on SCG, priced at $20, probably higher when it comes back in. The non-foil is $10 in stock. Feeling pretty good about picking up a couple at $4 last week.

Yeah I traded two of the GR SoI dual and one of the UW one for the foil and nonfoil. I guess I didn't make that much off it, and it doesn't matter what they're worth since I'm using them, but I still feel smart about it!

With Crackling Doom gone is there any real way to deal with Sphinx outside of a Wrath now?

Clip Wings and maybe To The Slaughter?

Finkels deck is raaaaaaaad.

So.

Blue really can't draw cards in the current fornat can it?

Black is better at low curve draw with Read The Bones and Painful Truths.

Green has the best late game draw with Seasons Past.

If your breaking things with Goggles, Red is straight up better with Tormenting Voice and Magmatic Insight.

Interesting. Maybe SOIJace just really is nessecary for Blue Control decks just because they need the plus.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    aw man I passed a seasons past at draft last week

aw man

aw gosh

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    With Crackling Doom gone is there any real way to deal with Sphinx outside of a Wrath now?

Clip Wings and maybe To The Slaughter?

foul tongue invocation

liEt3nH.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    LSV posted his "how-to" for their deck: channelfireball.com/articles/bg-sacrifice-deck-tech/

And definitely awkward and disappointing to watch Mengucci more or less coerce his teammate into conceding. Given infinite turns, maybe Mengucci really was in the better position, but it still looked like terrible for the game.

EDIT: Apparently with no more Reflector Mages, Mori had no ability to interact with Dragonlord Dromoka and would have died into in ~4 (assuming at least one chumpblock from Avacyn).

My deck was literally 8 cards off of this list

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/top-8-decklists-2016-04-23

here's the top 8 decklists

hopefully this crashes declaration down from $20 CAD this week before game day :B

liEt3nH.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'm really impressed by the diversity in those top 8 decklists

It's cool that WotC's efforts to make Red a more viable Midrange/Control color has come to fruition.

It's cool that WotC's efforts to make Red a more viable Midrange/Control color has come to fruition.

It's had its ups and downs over the years. Cruel control was certainly a thing, and we've seen a smattering of RUG and UWR control, too. But, yeah, it's nice to see red offer more than cheap removal to the table! More midrange threats and good planeswalkers and sweepers go a whole long way to #MakeRedGreatAgain.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Fuckin Seasons Past and Dark Petition

Out of nowhere and on the PT

Buddy says, 'yeah those were on my radar, I expected to see a season's past deck at protour'

Hahahahahahahahahahaha you fuckin liar

Funnily enough a friend o mine was working on a seasons pass/sidisi brew but only as a fun deck because that couldn't possibly be good right?

Fuck us I guess.

Quire.jpg

It's had its ups and downs over the years. Cruel control was certainly a thing, and we've seen a smattering of RUG and UWR control, too. But, yeah, it's nice to see red offer more than cheap removal to the table! More midrange threats and good planeswalkers and sweepers go a whole long way to #MakeRedGreatAgain.

Yeah, it's important to acknowledge how in something like Cruel Control, the red is almost entirely a consequence of multicolor cards and functionally a support color, whereas Goggles and R/W Eldrazi put the red front and center, thanks to stuff like Big Chandra and the titular Goggles.

You said tit

Hee hee hee

The moment for the protour so far that encapsulates just how bad the coverage is: A dude in the coverage area having to use upside down other tokens for half a game before someone gets him the right tokens.

Quire.jpg
    Knob wrote: »
    You said tit

Hee hee hee

:so_raven:

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hey Seattle folks, it's been a while since I've played much EDH and I'd like to get back into doing that semi regularly. Know of any good groups?

tumblr_o63mqwRCxJ1rvfi6lo1_1280.png

the Hatewatch watching the pro tour

(source)

liEt3nH.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    This Top 8 is going to be beautiful:

1. Jon Finkel on Seasons Past Control
    2. LSV on Cutthroat Combo
    3. Brad Nelson on Goggles Ramp
    4. Shouta Yasooka on Ojutai Control
    5. Steve Rubin on G/W Tokens
    6. Seth Manfield on Esper Superfriends
    7. Andrea Mengucci on Bant Company?
    8. Luis Salvatto on R/W Eldrazi Midrange

Probably one or two G/W Tokens and a Monowhite Human Aggro.

What this doesn't say is that it has fucking goggles in it.
    I'm all in.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    for a moment i was pretty sure those were homestuck trolls

SO I guess with recorded videos they replay the comments in real time.

So I guess I get to watch people call Seasons past terrible while knowing it will top 8.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.