As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Counting down: Type-Zero days until this [Final Fantasy] thread is obsolete!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, Sherlotta's Solace has a bit of paper you can read stuck in a corner. I had thought it was some kind of hint for endgame things, but... just a transcript from IV? From a more recent version than I've played anyways, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Who left that piece of paper there?! Does nobody know what a wastebasket looks like?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    latest?cb=20140220214431

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So last night I tried the jap demo of FFXV that's on the store.

Other than FFXIV, the last game that I enjoyed was FFXII. So it's with some surprise to even myself having avoided everything about this that after playing the demo you can colour me interested.

I enjoyed the demo very much.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, legit spoilers are starting to drop from the early copies sold. Lots of screenshots and at least one major story beat are floating around. I haven't seen any open spoilers on YT yet, but be careful.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah. VERY HUGE spoilers are all over some 4chan and NeoGAF threads and will probably be hitting Youtube soon.

Re: World of Final Fantasy. Is Sherlotta this awesome in her DS/Wii game? Because holy crap this character is amazing.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Yeah. VERY HUGE spoilers are all over some 4chan and NeoGAF threads and will probably be hitting Youtube soon.

Re: World of Final Fantasy. Is Sherlotta this awesome in her DS/Wii game? Because holy crap this character is amazing.

Oh internet, why are you sustained by the tears of others? Can't you just not be terrible?

Time to intensify my blackout.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Edit: This is WoFF, if it wasn't clear. No spoilers here!

GAHHHH

Boss of the bonus dungeon. Cameo crossover thingy. Completely underleveled for it, but I can hurt it because lol gravity and a hoard of ethers to keep spamming it. And like 50 mega phoenix to laugh off hits.

So I get it low and pop champions. Pull out Terra when it's got to be under 3-4K HP or so (Cloud did 10k, so this should be the kill)...

Game crashes.

ARGGGGHHHHH

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Oh internet, why are you sustained by the tears of others? Can't you just not be terrible?

When The Force Awakens was premiering, I remember reading how assholes playing Star Wars Battlefront would put up custom avatars specifically spoiling the events of that movie.

It kind of makes me want to avoid playing Overwatch or FFXIV over the possibility of similar trolling.

On the slight upside, it sounds like the game has quite a few major spoilers, instead of just one or two FFVII-level "these are the biggest spoilers". That could be a small comfort for anyone who gets exposed.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I personally really like the game for its use of the job system. Giving different jobs (and different summons) to the two groups of heroes makes for some interesting job choices as the game progresses and their options become more and more divorced from each other. And the jobs seem to have fewer "dead levels" than the ones in FFV sometimes do. I also really like the Fusion Ability system, even if it's not quite on par with Dual Techs from Chrono Trigger. The story's got its ups and downs, but I'm kind of a sucker for references to past games, so I enjoyed it quite a bit, even if it does lean a biiiit too heavily on the FFIV method of removing temporary party members as each chapter comes to a close.

Oh, and the music is ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAi6roeEU3I

And then a bunch of shit happened and yours was the only post for a while anyway. Sorry!

I agree with pretty much everything. I actually think there aren't any "dead levels" in the jobs, too. You learn something every time the rank goes up, even if it's "just" the ability to use higher level magic, or "Equip [type]" passives. I also really liked that you couldn't reasonably max out all the jobs for everyone, so you really had to plan out who specialized in what. The plot definitely isn't anything amazing, but it for sure has its high points, and Alba is probably one of my favorite "comedic" characters in Final Fantasy.

And it can actually be surprisingly difficult at times!

Basically, everyone should play Dimensions.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016

When The Force Awakens was premiering, I remember reading how assholes playing Star Wars Battlefront would put up custom avatars specifically spoiling the events of that movie.

It kind of makes me want to avoid playing Overwatch or FFXIV over the possibility of similar trolling.

On the slight upside, it sounds like the game has quite a few major spoilers, instead of just one or two FFVII-level "these are the biggest spoilers". That could be a small comfort for anyone who gets exposed.

The spoilers for that were the worst.

People would donate to streamers on twitch so their message would pop up on the screen with the spoilers.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Batten down the hatches, one of the streams beat the game, so ending footage/spoilers are now out there in the wild.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    God fucking damn it

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I'm thankful I'll be visiting family in texas all this week, so I'll be free from the internet. I never thought I'd say that.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Day 1 (.5?) updates:
    Camera improvements will make it easier to track action going on in narrow areas.

The new “Wait Mode” function (makes it so the game automatically waits when you stop command inputs) will get an ability tree for more in-depth strategic elements.

A “Monster Whistle” that can be used to call out monsters will be added.

New event scenes from Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV and “Omen” trailer will be added.

Recipes and fish varieties, as well as a gallery, will be added for players who enjoy collecting items.

Social network function will be added, allowing players to upload Prompto’s photographs to Facebook and Twitter.

So that all sounds like nifty stuff to be added.

Except for the part about adding footage from Kingsglaive and the Omen trailer. That's....kind of weird. Like, how would that work? Splice in FMV footage in the middle of a cutscene that didn't originally have it?

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Day 1 (.5?) updates:
    Camera improvements will make it easier to track action going on in narrow areas.

The new “Wait Mode” function (makes it so the game automatically waits when you stop command inputs) will get an ability tree for more in-depth strategic elements.

New event scenes from Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV and “Omen” trailer will be added.

Recipes and fish varieties, as well as a gallery, will be added for players who enjoy collecting items.

Social network function will be added, allowing players to upload Prompto’s photographs to Facebook and Twitter.

Except for the part about adding footage from Kingsglaive and the Omen trailer. That's....kind of weird. Like, how would that work? Splice in FMV footage in the middle of a cutscene that didn't originally have it?

I assume they would be their own thing, as flashback or where chronologically appropriate.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Give me an FMV Final Fantasy with rotoscoped characters

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Day 1 (.5?) updates:

I assume they would be their own thing, as flashback or where chronologically appropriate.

It would be fine as a database/extra thing, but it kind of sounds like they're being literally inserted into cutscenes, which is weird.

• Options
    A whole bunch of trailers just got posted on SE's YouTube channel.

I'll let someone else bite the bullet if there's spoilers. Think I'll just ignore them entirely though.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I realized yesterday for the first time that the TV we bought almost a year ago has HDR. I feel silly.

But, FFXV will be the first game I run through with it. Excited for that!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Day 1 (.5?) updates:

It would be fine as a database/extra thing, but it kind of sounds like they're being literally inserted into cutscenes, which is weird.

Sounds like what they did with later versions of Chrono Trigger.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So this tutorial in complete Japanese has me more sold on this game than any of the small tidly bits I've seen. The combat alone I'm fully onboard with. I'm not a fan of the "singular character" focus of JRPG's (and FF in general that it seems to be going down; I think FF12 was the last great "team" FF, and before that it was 9 and 6), but I think they've made up for it in terms of the combat. Consequently, I was getting my ass handed to me by this Ed Hardy looking dude.

Soooooo glad I waited a week before release to play ANYTHING about this game (actually that's not true; I played a bit of that weird toy weapon demo and shut it off because WTF). I'm debating playing anymore of it, though I hear it's literally 2% or so of the entire main-story. I honestly don't know how anyone who has been following this game for years was able to stand it.

Also, it seems like the Open-World to Linear worry was clarified at PAX? I was a bit nervous about the overly vague Kotaku article, but I guess the game isn't going to be hours on end of corridors, and is instead the main story denouement, so there's a bit of an expectation that at some point you are hurtled down the final path - as every FF game has done before. I mean if it's done anything like FF6, I don't think anyone can be upset about being put on the Linear Train.

Any word on whether theres armor in the game (one thing I didn't like about FF12); or even costumes (a la Persona)? Really can't see my group in tight leather the entire game.

TLDR: Cautious optimism has given way to pre-release week hype. I am so glad this is getting a world-wide release and that we'll get to discover all the shit packed in together.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Setup my preorder yesterday (for FFXV and Last Guardian) from Amazon. Hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that actually gets it on release.

Still being dark since it's spoiler city out there.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    So this tutorial in complete Japanese has me more sold on this game than any of the small tidly bits I've seen. The combat alone I'm fully onboard with. I'm not a fan of the "singular character" focus of JRPG's (and FF in general that it seems to be going down; I think FF12 was the last great "team" FF, and before that it was 9 and 6), but I think they've made up for it in terms of the combat. Consequently, I was getting my ass handed to me by this Ed Hardy looking dude.

Soooooo glad I waited a week before release to play ANYTHING about this game (actually that's not true; I played a bit of that weird toy weapon demo and shut it off because WTF). I'm debating playing anymore of it, though I hear it's literally 2% or so of the entire main-story. I honestly don't know how anyone who has been following this game for years was able to stand it.

Also, it seems like the Open-World to Linear worry was clarified at PAX? I was a bit nervous about the overly vague Kotaku article, but I guess the game isn't going to be hours on end of corridors, and is instead the main story denouement, so there's a bit of an expectation that at some point you are hurtled down the final path - as every FF game has done before. I mean if it's done anything like FF6, I don't think anyone can be upset about being put on the Linear Train.

Any word on whether theres armor in the game (one thing I didn't like about FF12); or even costumes (a la Persona)? Really can't see my group in tight leather the entire game.

TLDR: Cautious optimism has given way to pre-release week hype. I am so glad this is getting a world-wide release and that we'll get to discover all the shit packed in together.

There are costumes that give various stat bonuses.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Setup my preorder yesterday (for FFXV and Last Guardian) from Amazon. Hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that actually gets it on release.

Are you so in the dark that you didn't hear about the delay? Currently projecting December 16th Friday release.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself, and also can't believe it's just over a week away holy crap!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

Are you so in the dark that you didn't hear about the delay? Currently projecting December 16th Friday release.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself, and also can't believe it's just over a week away holy crap!

Dirk... how dare you.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    We've waited 10 years, what's another two weeks?

• Options
    Oh my god. They have the old school
    FF6-esque Character can equip this item
    animation.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    A whole bunch of trailers just got posted on SE's YouTube channel.

I'll let someone else bite the bullet if there's spoilers. Think I'll just ignore them entirely though.

I'll check them later when not in the office and give the safe/not safe run-down.

• Options
    If it's this Final Fantasy XV 101 trailer, there's 100% story spoilers.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    WoFF story spoiler:
    I got Tama back. I have popped the trophy for 100% Intervention missions completed in the Girl's Tearoom.

Serafie has a dialog option with an "Are you ready to do this?" type message. Am I at the end of the game? The real end? I need to wrap this up before 15.

• Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    So question for the group: I'm on work travel next week until late Friday. Then I'm back in town Saturday, Sunday, and Monday before leaving again for the rest of the following week. The good news is after that trip, I'm basically done until 2017.

Do I dare crack open FFXV in those three days, or do I try to restrain myself and just wait until I get back?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I mean how much time are you going to get to play the game in those three days? If you're going to drop 15+ hours into it during that time, I'd say go ahead. But if it's only going to be a few hours, I'd probably wait until I got back.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    WoFF story spoiler:
    I got Tama back. I have popped the trophy for 100% Intervention missions completed in the Girl's Tearoom.

Serafie has a dialog option with an "Are you ready to do this?" type message. Am I at the end of the game? The real end? I need to wrap this up before 15.
    That's the final battle trigger, yes. You'll want to do that as soon as you're ready, you have to clear the true ending to open the post-game dungeons.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    WoFF story spoiler:

That's the final battle trigger, yes. You'll want to do that as soon as you're ready, you have to clear the true ending to open the post-game dungeons.
    Any suggestion on what level I need to be? Lann and Reynn are both 61 right now. Their stacks are probably around 55-60.

• Options
    I'm so dang curious what supposedly happens in the second half that has people claiming will cause some divisive discussions. Wish there was a way to get a non-spoiler idea so as to temper expectations.

I can't imagine it'll be something as drastic as entirely removing all the open world elements. More restrictions, sure, but it makes zero sense they would create huge areas with a bunch of sidequests, driving, minigames and all sorts of stuff only to take all of it away halfway through.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Donnicton wrote: »
    WoFF story spoiler:

Any suggestion on what level I need to be? Lann and Reynn are both 61 right now. Their stacks are probably around 55-60.

If you can shrug off confusion you should be able to pull it off? Maybe?

You may be a tad low... I had to do some gravity abuse to pull off the final boss at those levels. I suggest getting a good XL leveled up too.

Theres no dungeon involved, so failure is quick anyways.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    I'm so dang curious what supposedly happens in the second half that has people claiming will cause some divisive discussions. Wish there was a way to get a non-spoiler idea so as to temper expectations.

I can't imagine it'll be something as drastic as entirely removing all the open world elements. More restrictions, sure, but it makes zero sense they would create huge areas with a bunch of sidequests, driving, minigames and all sorts of stuff only to take all of it away halfway through.

I would suggest not even bothering. It's a short run from "This game has some controversial story beats" to "The decision in Act 9 is sure to divide gamers" and ending up at "Let's talk about who you chose to save in Act 9!"

Also, the developer has said open-world isn't locked out halfway into the game; simply that (as in previous games; and really in most games) the games final beats are pretty much head-down-to-the-end. They also said you can still go back to the over world and fart around, but the main story will simply push you down a singular path.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So what's a good leveling spot in WoFF for post game stuff? The
    summon monsters
    are becoming impossible to kill.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So what's a good leveling spot in WoFF for post game stuff? The
    summon monsters
    are becoming impossible to kill.

The post-game dungeons are the highest in the game so there isn't really any better place to grind than there. My best recommendation would be to just stack elemental resistances.

This discussion has been closed.