As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Counting down: Type-Zero days until this [Final Fantasy] thread is obsolete!

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So what's a good leveling spot in WoFF for post game stuff? The
    summon monsters
    are becoming impossible to kill.

Right next to any of the save spots. Fight a battle, run through the save spot to heal and repeat.
    The fourth dungeon save spot is the easiest to grind, because there's some hoards you can take out with one or two All spells, but you need to beat the first three dungeons to unlock it.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I'm so dang curious what supposedly happens in the second half that has people claiming will cause some divisive discussions. Wish there was a way to get a non-spoiler idea so as to temper expectations.

I can't imagine it'll be something as drastic as entirely removing all the open world elements. More restrictions, sure, but it makes zero sense they would create huge areas with a bunch of sidequests, driving, minigames and all sorts of stuff only to take all of it away halfway through.

I would suggest not even bothering. It's a short run from "This game has some controversial story beats" to "The decision in Act 9 is sure to divide gamers" and ending up at "Let's talk about who you chose to save in Act 9!"

Also, the developer has said open-world isn't locked out halfway into the game; simply that (as in previous games; and really in most games) the games final beats are pretty much head-down-to-the-end. They also said you can still go back to the over world and fart around, but the main story will simply push you down a singular path.

Good point, and that's also a relief if that's the case.

The one thing that seems particularly encouraging is that no one's mentioned anything that would bring about potential outrage on social media. I'm specifically thinking of when the last Fire Emblem hit Japan and some reports about its content (some untrue, some out of context).

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I haven't encountered any dungeons? Just quests from the Butterfly girl.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    . . .and there doesn't appear to be enemy level scaling:
    Teleported to my car at night (I thought I was actually fast traveling to the gas station) and there are monsters there. . .after 30 seconds of flailing my eyes focus to their level: 30. Mine. 6ish.

This is going to be so amazing when I actually know what the fuck I'm doing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Teleported to my car at night (I thought I was actually fast traveling to the gas station) and there are monsters there. . .after 30 seconds of flailing my eyes focus to their level: 30. Mine. 6ish.

Even better you should know that demo is set at the EASY difficulty.

Even better you should know that demo is set at the EASY difficulty.

I think I'm ready for them now. In other news, I figured out how the magic in this game works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0gnkmBJW6Q

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I need this game in my life so badly.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Dammit, I wish I was more excited.

It is a rather fantastic feeling!

Enlong wrote: »
    Dammit, I wish I was more excited.

I'll admit none of my peeks at the game had me interested, the cast of characters did nothing to help that. . .Big Bewb Cindy literally had me shaking my head at home brain numb the folks behind FF had become and how far they've fallen. Even the English demo's I was just massively shrugging asking "What the fuck are they thinking?"

Fucking around with this demo has just made me do a 180. And this is all from a PURELY gameplay mechanics point of view as I have no idea what the hell this game is actually about narratively.

I am salty it's not in English but I imagine they've already looked at pre-order numbers and know NA is going to lose it's shit with the game; and so they made a demo for their Japanese fans on the fence.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I haven't seen anything about the gameplay that looks remotely interesting. Every fight is the exact same dull melee attacks.

Environments look great, the creatures look amazing, but the combat looks so dull and boring.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I disagree. I think the combat looks fun and fluid with plenty of customization and freedom to choose how to go about tackling an encounter.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'll admit I'm not necessarily excited to play another Final Fantasy, more than I am to play something resembling Kingdom Hearts since KH2.

I'll admit I'm not necessarily excited to play another Final Fantasy, more than I am to play something resembling Kingdom Hearts since KH2.

Yeah, there's that at least.

Meanwhile, I'm not convinced that KH3 is a real thing that will be released in the PS4's lifetime.

edited November 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhKgDFGhuTc

I'm so excited to see all this in English. I spent all day playing this and didn't find it repetitive at all. A lot of it has to do with not knowing what the fuck is going on, but being able to stumble onto something like
    items in your inventory being used to create spells, and spells having multiple effects on them (I had a lightning spell that added poison)
    , I'm so ready for this.

ED! on
    A King's Tale('s soundtrack) is free to download from Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/final-fantasy-XV?sf43097627=1&utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=deeplink&cid=afl_10000087&affID=77777&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-2cS1OukkMVGiBZHhYaSSwA

Cool I guess. Rather curious how that game turns out. Not expecting much out of it, but who knows.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The game finally coming out is cool and all but now I'm wondering where the series is gonna go with FFXVI.

Like a lot of the systems introduced seem like they'll be unique to FFXV but I'm also pretty sure SE is gonna reuse the game engine.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I can't wait for two days from now when we can all argue over whether the character used in the thread title is really the main character of VI.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Terra --> Celes --> Terra days until...

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The game finally coming out is cool and all but now I'm wondering where the series is gonna go with FFXVI.

Like a lot of the systems introduced seem like they'll be unique to FFXV but I'm also pretty sure SE is gonna reuse the game engine.

Yeah, it's not like I'd expect warping and the weapon-conjuring mechanic to cross into the next game, even assuming they continue with the action RPG format. If so, I'd like to see them to stick to at least 4 characters, and find a way to make swapping around work. I'd like to see maybe something more medieval, but hell, I'll take whatever weird shit they want to do. I definitely want to see a more varied party, maybe some non-humans even.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Terra --> Celes --> Terra days until...

Terra --> Celes--> Locke --> Edgar --> fuck it, Gogo days until...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'm not going to claim to know much about the Japanese market, or what I'm about to relay is true, I just found it interesting. So if you know better, please correct.

I was watching Mr. Happy's stream today and the topic of XV obviously came up. It was said (paraphrasing) that XV's success is crucial to the console market in Japan as well as future console games for SE. Though KH3 and FF7RE are in the works, XV is being watched closely; if it doesn't meet expectations in the japanese market (don't know what that # is) then there is a chance that virtually all future development will shift to mobile/handheld.

Which if true is crazy. I knew consoles were limping in Japan, but I had no idea it is in the state it's in (if true). Crazy the kind of pressure is on this team to deliver.

I should note, this was a casual conversation he was having on stream with others, but it was something I hadn't thought about. Even if it doesn't come down to XV exactly, it is interesting knowing there is a measure of pressure on the company/project to help save console gaming over there.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I'm not going to claim to know much about the Japanese market, or what I'm about to relay is true, I just found it interesting. So if you know better, please correct.

I was watching Mr. Happy's stream today and the topic of XV obviously came up. It was said (paraphrasing) that XV's success is crucial to the console market in Japan as well as future console games for SE. Though KH3 and FF7RE are in the works, XV is being watched closely; if it doesn't meet expectations in the japanese market (don't know what that # is) then there is a chance that virtually all future development will shift to mobile/handheld.

Which if true is crazy. I knew consoles were limping in Japan, but I had no idea it is in the state it's in (if true). Crazy the kind of pressure is on this team to deliver.

I should note, this was a casual conversation he was having on stream with others, but it was something I hadn't thought about. Even if it doesn't come down to XV exactly, it is interesting knowing there is a measure of pressure on the company/project to help save console gaming over there.

Well...it makes sense.

The console market in Japan has been on the decline since the mid 00s.

And even when you consider the few big companies that are left SE and Nintendo are probably the only ones still moving big units on console. And even in Nintendo's case they have a big handheld component.

Heck, even Capcom is struggling there what with their last few console releases underperforming.

Namco has been putting a bigger emphasis on pachinko and who knows what Konami is doing.

And most of Sony's big game development happens overseas.

So that's why so many eyes are probably on FFXV as far as eastern AAA game development goes.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I disagree. I think the combat looks fun and fluid with plenty of customization and freedom to choose how to go about tackling an encounter.

If you know video of fights that are different from one another I'd love to see it.

All I see is same ol same ol melee attacks broken up by teleports.

Game needs some flashy combo finishers and limit breaks to add depth and break up the monotony.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    That makes precisely zero sense.

Square-Enix's best-selling DS game in Japan is Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker with 1.47 million copies sold.

Their best-selling PSP game was Crisis Core at 2.6 million worldwide. Dragon Quest Monsters on GB/GBA sold 2.35 million in Japan.

Meanwhile FF12 sold 2.4 million in Japan alone, over 5.6 million worldwide. FF13 sold 7.5 million worldwide.

Even if the new consoles are struggling, Square-Enix's top 10 best-selling games worldwide have all been console games. And even if Square-Enix was considering going purely handheld, it would be the next Dragon Quest game, not the next FF, that functions as barometer. Dragon Quest VIII sold 3.6 million in Japan, which is better than most Final Fantasies and is at least in the realm of FF7 and FF8.

Source

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    One. Week. Can hardly believe it.

"NieR: Automata will have a collaboration with Final Fantasy XV in the form of an “Engine Blade” one-handed sword for YoRHa No.2 Type B. The weapon is a symbol for Final Fantasy XV protagonist Noctis.
    Final Fantasy XV will have a NieR: Automata collaboration as well, but details will be announced at a later date."

Oh man, I hope it's a Nier radio station.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Oh the countdown is a character from that numbered Final Fantasy game, not a pun or rhyme on that number.

That makes more sense.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    When people talk about mobile gaming replacing traditional consoles, the hypothetical scenario they're basically talking about is the Japanese market

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    All you are worried about spoilers before the game comes out in a week.

I am sitting here not even owning a PS4, possibly not for awhile, wondering if I can make it till the game comes to PC.

I am totally FUCKED on spoilers.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

I am sitting here not even owning a PS4, possibly not for awhile, wondering if I can make it till the game comes to PC.

:bro: God Speed.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

So you're trying to go ten years without spoilers? A bold move, Cotton.

Viskod wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything about the gameplay that looks remotely interesting. Every fight is the exact same dull melee attacks.

Environments look great, the creatures look amazing, but the combat looks so dull and boring.

I find this interesting in an FF thread. I mean older FF games combat was primarily your team lined up with each member repeating the same attack until the combat was over. I get if someone prefers the older combat but I'm confused how this can be dull in a world where other FF games are not.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I find this interesting in an FF thread. I mean older FF games combat was primarily your team lined up with each member repeating the same attack until the combat was over. I get if someone prefers the older combat but I'm confused how this can be dull in a world where other FF games are not.

What very little I've seen doesn't look interesting at all either and the one demo we had (not the Platinum mess) was pretty par for the course as far as combat systems. I'm getting the game for sure because Final Fantasy but what I've seen and played of the combat, it seems very familiar and dull.

edited November 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »

What very little I've seen doesn't look interesting at all either and the one demo we had (not the Platinum mess) was pretty par for the course as far as combat systems. I'm getting the game for sure because Final Fantasy but what I've seen and played of the combat, it seems very familiar and dull.

The general consensus for most people who have played the new demo is that even if they didn't like Duscae combat at all, the combat is super rad now. Lots has been fiddled with since the Duscae demo if that's what you are going on.

just to make it clear before this gets taken out of context from my last post: Of course if you aren't into action oriented combat it's still not going to be as much your bag (but maybe wait mode is I can't speak to that)

DemonStacey on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The general consensus for most people who have played the new demo is that even if they didn't like Duscae combat at all, the combat is super rad now. Lots has been fiddled with since the Duscae demo if that's what you are going on.

just to make it clear before this gets taken out of context from my last post: Of course if you aren't into action oriented combat it's still not going to be as much your bag (but maybe wait mode is I can't speak to that)

Yeah, again, I've seen and played precious little of the actual game; I'm 90% sure all my impressions are pretty much useless. Plus Final Fantasy anyway so I'MA BUY

This reminds me of FFXII and FFXIV, without the pausing in XII and the PC companions in XIV. And note, we've only seen the spell/NPC companion ability combinations that are unlocked in the first area. No one has summoned any espers (or whatever they are called in this game). I've seen a peek at some of the beginning boss/high level mob-hunts that some people were able to glitch to in the Judgement Disc, and as a fan of the series since middle school this looks right up my alley. I want a return to "ye olde" FF for their next setting (as good as FFXV looks and FFXII was, I much prefer that Magictechy knights and knaves setting).

However I will concede, if you do not like the gameplay of something like Star Ocean, they are probably going to lose you in the first couple of chapters. I mean it's hard to iterate on the Action-RPG formula without making it far too busy (a previewer mentioned that the combat eventually reminded me him of something like Bayonetta or DMC which. . .yikes). I personally think there's an insane bit going on in the game as well as the inclusion of enemy weapon weaknesses to force you to change your patterns up.

Now, if I were going off that terrible "Toy Demo" I'd be like "Oh fuck this game. . ." (and was totally in that boat). I'm pretty sure that's purely a tech demo, and even the gameplay is changed (I remember only holding down a button to chain attacks, which is most definitely NOT in this Judgement demo). If going off the Duscae demo, it's slightly similar, but again they've much changed things. There's a Gamespot video detailing how the combat has changed and it's not spoilery at all.

edited November 2016
    Oh yea. ED! is like the perfect candidate of turning around about the game (gameplay wise) based on the new demo when compared to the old ones.

But I was mostly just interested about the use of the word dull. Like most FF games you have 1 attack animation for regular attacks. That is the same 1 you use the entire game for every single time you use attack. So comparatively how can having multiple combos with variances for ground and air and multiple weapons that each have their own sets of combos be dull?

I don't find either particularly dull mind you. I'm just not seeing how it's a word that can be used if you are into other FF games.

DemonStacey on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I said it before, FFXV's combat looks to me like a nice evolution from Xenoblade Chronicles X, which until now was the best open world JRPG combat imo.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

So you're trying to go ten years without spoilers? A bold move, Cotton.

Well i would get a ps4 by then. But right now any extra money is going into a real gaming pc.

I thought a pc version of ff15 was planned and going to happen sometime reasonable?

This discussion has been closed.