As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mental work - losing mind?

octaynoctayn Registered User new member
I used to work in construction. When I did, things were simple. As physically demanding as it was, one thing I miss is that I would go to work and think about my life all day and really plan everything out. I've been a software developer for several years, and things are different now.

I'm too busy thinking about complex algorithms 8 hours a day to worry about my life, and now I feel like it's somehow making me fall behind. I see this in coworkers that also have mentally demanding jobs. They seem a bit disconnected from reality. Like in the movie Office Space. It's been bothering me because now I'm getting forgetful about little things socially. Or I am not able to empathize with some of my friends' emotions. Sometimes when I talk I don't think things through and what I say is misinterpreted. There are times when I feel normal, but after a day or two of work I revert back to the same state.

So I am wondering. Is this actually a real thing? Is it normal to feel that way? Is there anything one can do to overcome this mental distraction, other than finding a new career (I am not going to change my career over this)?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    octayn wrote: »
    I used to work in construction. When I did, things were simple. As physically demanding as it was, one thing I miss is that I would go to work and think about my life all day and really plan everything out. I've been a software developer for several years, and things are different now.

I'm too busy thinking about complex algorithms 8 hours a day to worry about my life, and now I feel like it's somehow making me fall behind. I see this in coworkers that also have mentally demanding jobs. They seem a bit disconnected from reality. Like in the movie Office Space. It's been bothering me because now I'm getting forgetful about little things socially. Or I am not able to empathize with some of my friends' emotions. Sometimes when I talk I don't think things through and what I say is misinterpreted. There are times when I feel normal, but after a day or two of work I revert back to the same state.

So I am wondering. Is this actually a real thing? Is it normal to feel that way? Is there anything one can do to overcome this mental distraction, other than finding a new career (I am not going to change my career over this)?

Welcome to thought work! It's exhausting, just mentally. Over time, you'll develop coping mechanisms, but it can take a toll.
    Some methods to help in the early stages:
    1. Take breaks during the day. No seriously, take a walk. Just like working out for 8 hours straight vs. a few hours/break/a few hours, your mind needs time to disengage occasionally.
    2. Understand it SHOULD get better if you focus on improving your social interactions. Your brain tends to drop stuff it isn't currently using pretty quick, so get some social time on a regular basis.
    3. Work out. Honestly this helps a lot, as it helps your body flush and regulate as well as recharge mentally.