As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew was planning to put Tubman on $20

BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/treasurys-lew-to-announce-hamilton-to-stay-on-10-bill-222204

Hamilton saved by the musical apparently. They're planning a big new series of bills from what it sounds like

BlindPsychic on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2016
    PERFECTION

Jackson is a complex and difficult person to balance the scales on because there are some good things he did... but I feel like the genocide probably disqualifies you from being on our most used note.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm so happy about this.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Ehhh, I kinda hate the idea of erasing the past to please present politics. But whatever, won't hurt anyone and if it makes a bunch of people happy I guess it's worth it.

RIP sweet, genocidal prince.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Ehhh, I kinda hate the idea of erasing the past to please present politics. But whatever, won't hurt anyone and if it makes a bunch of people happy I guess it's worth it.

It's a good thing for a mature country to re-evaluate past heroes. We don't get all misty when Austria clears up the last "AdolphHitlerStrasse."

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It was always kind of hilarious that the President so staunchly against a central bank would end up on the most widely circulated federal reserve bank note.

But this is better, because ya...that dude was racist.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I don't get the point of this but whatever. Now to horde the fuck out of twenty dollar bills so I can sell them in 20 years.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure even if people were actively trying to destroy old 20s there are so many out there the jackson note will take at least 50 years to stop showing up regularly.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

"There was this garbage guy hanging around, so we got rid of him" isn't exactly whitewashing. Kids are still going to find out that Jackson was pretty garbo in history class, we just don't have to explain to them why he's plastered all over one of our most frequently used currencies.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure even if people were actively trying to destroy old 20s there are so many out there the jackson note will take at least 50 years to stop showing up regularly.

The 20, on average, lasts less than 8 years.

I am sure there are outliers, like people with money in a safe that doesn't get used, that lasts much longer... but common in circulation will be over and done with in 10-15 years.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

It's a good thing for a mature country to re-evaluate past heroes. We don't get all misty when Austria clears up the last "AdolphHitlerStrasse."

I disagree. As a species and a society we continually learn, grow and change. It does us no good to judge the past by today's standards, it just allows us to feel extra special about ourselves and how great we are while divorcing the long dead from any real context.

At a certain point we just accept that judging the past with the morality of the present is a fruitless exercise.

Again, though, not a huge thing. Having her on a 20 will probably mean a lot to many, so though I don't like the method I'm not rly broken up about it.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I disagree. As a species and a society we continually learn, grow and change. It does us no good to judge the past by today's standards, it just allows us to feel extra special about ourselves and how great we are while divorcing the long dead from any real context.

At a certain point we just accept that judging the past with the morality of the present is a fruitless exercise.

Again, though, not a huge thing. Having her on a 20 will probably mean a lot to many, so though I don't like the method I'm not rly broken up about it.

What's the good context for genocide?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Plenty of people back then thought what Jackson did was terrible. It does them a disservice to just go "oh, he could not have known better" because it erases the people who knew better.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

What's the good context for slavery? I doubt there is one, but I'm not ready to toss 6000 years of figures/history because of it.

The world has been a brutal place that's rapidly gotten more civilized in the last century.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Maybe it's not super useful to judge the people of the past by our modern standards, but it's still incredibly useful to understand the consequences of past actions to judge how we behave today and going forward into the future. Saying "hey, maybe this guy isn't a great role model for us to honor and idolize nowadays" says more about the nation's growth than about trying to somehow punish or blacklist a historical figure.

And anyway, removing the dude from the 20 doesn't erase him any more than having Harriet Tubman not on our 20 until now has erased her. Plenty of people are remembered even though their faces aren't on money. Plus, on a more subjective note, Tubman was a badass and having her on our money is neat.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I work for a university that changed the name of one of its main buildings because the name was for a white supremacist governor who was behind a campaign of murder and insurrection. The university where I work is about 60 percent minority.

That meant that I worked for a place that charged black students tens of thousands of dollars a year while forcing them to attend classes in a building that memorializes someone who would and did gladly order the deaths and wished for the re-enslavement of people like them. When they complained, should the school have just said some version of the "How can we judge? Now pay your bill."

That's pretty fucked up. That's not a historical issue. That's a modern one.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

What's the good context for slavery? I doubt there is one, but I'm not ready to toss 6000 years of figures/history because of it.

The world has been a brutal place that's rapidly gotten more civilized in the last century.
    The last century had more atrocity/war related deaths than any before it. This is a fallacy and historically inaccurate.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

When and how are we to judge the past and evaluate it to make present decisions?

• Options

When and how are we to judge the past and evaluate it to make present decisions?

Evaluate and use it, sure. But the past was a brutal place. Most movers and shakers of note have blood on their hands.

It's hardly fair to take someone from the 1200s, the 1700s, hell from Roman times even, and evaluate THEM based on how we see the world TODAY.

People, just like art, are generally a product of the time in which they lived.

• Options

The last century had more atrocity/war related deaths than any before it. This is a fallacy and historically inaccurate.

True, but we also rapidly advanced on many fronts. I think it's inaccurate to say people from the 1900s are remotely representative of us as a society now. This century was full of pain but also growth and massive change.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Being a minority I say burn them all now. All the happy on this. It is not a matter of erasing or censuring history with that man. He didn't really do anything of note other than put the "jackass" as the democrats symbol.

• Options

I work for a university that changed the name of one of its main buildings because the name was for a white supremacist governor who was behind a campaign of murder and insurrection. The university where I work is about 60 percent minority.

That meant that I worked for a place that charged black students tens of thousands of dollars a year while forcing them to attend classes in a building that memorializes someone who would and did gladly order the deaths and wished for the re-enslavement of people like them. When they complained, should the school have just said some version of the "How can we judge? Now pay your bill."

I disagree with that too, tbh. Most early presidents and American heroes were unabashed slaveowners. Do we also tear down thier monuments and rename their buildings. What shall we rename Washington DC or Washington state, named for a man who by modern standards would be roundly reviled?

It seems like a deep and pointless rabithole.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I know this is kind of a weird take, but with a lot of these "replace old dead white guy with old dead [race] [gender]" things. I tend to get kind of disappointed in the replacements. Sorta like when February rolled around in elementary school and you end up learning about a guy who really really loved peanuts. Its not like you normally hear about Robert C Baker every year through 6th grade.

In this case Jackson was such a giant tool that kicking him off is no loss-besides losing the sort of eternal grave dance/middle finger that is having the President who hated central banking being on the most circulated bill.

But If I am stack ranking 'people on US currency' on their importance and achievements....

Washington
    Lincoln
    Hamilton
    Jefferson
    Franklin
    Grant
    Tubman

I mean I could see a swap here or there but I feel like she is pretty solidly last.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options

I disagree with that too, tbh. Most early presidents and American heroes were unabashed slaveowners. Do we also tear down thier monuments and rename their buildings. What shall we rename Washington DC or Washington state, named for a man who by modern standards would be roundly reviled?

If you were to make a list of racist presidents Jackson would clear most other founding presidents by a mile. It is not even really debatable.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Our mistake was not changing the people on the bills for so long to begin with.

There are so many people in america's history that deserve recognition. It should change out like, every two years imo.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

To you.

The students here were in tears in gratitude that their concerns were heard. The alumni were able to talk about how that building's name had ALWAYS been a sore point, and that it finally seemed like they had a voice in how the institution they supported was run.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Jackson's actions were abhorent in his day. The whitewash is pretending that what he did was accepted by everyone in his day and only now do we look back and say "Oh no!"

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Just as long as we don't culturally forget that Jackson was a huge dickhole, this seems great.

Not that I think being on currency is really a great way to foster cultural understanding of a person's life and actions.

This seems like a bare minimum step for not being shitbirds to certain groups of people. I'm totally cool with that.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options

Jackson's actions were abhorent in his day. The whitewash is pretending that what he did was accepted by everyone in his day and only now do we look back and say "Oh no!"

That's usually where these arguments land. For all the talk about Jefferson or Washington being at risk, the reality is that these moves are usually aimed at figures who were seen as despicable in their own time. There's a reason that figures like Andrew Jackson or Nathaniel Bedford Forrest are always at the center of these disputes.

That also ignores that, when you dig deeply, a lot of these monuments and names date back to the 50s and 60s. They were never historical monuments as much as "Fuck yous!" by regional bigots to the black and Indian civil rights movements.

• Options

To you.

The students here were in tears in gratitude that their concerns were heard. The alumni were able to talk about how that building's name had ALWAYS been a sore point, and that it finally seemed like they had a voice in how the institution they supported was run.

Of course to me, it's called a difference of opinion.

It seems the issue here was more symbolic than anything else. I still think it's a silly thing, and leads down an unpleasant road, but good for them I guess. There's a large amount of pain and death in my family history due to racism and hate, but I can't imagine letting it dominate me to that extent. i feel that kind of worldview will leave a person massively dissatisfied with life and society on many fronts.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    In context, 47% of Congress voted against the Indian Removal Act. Eleven missionaries got arrested by the Georgia government and missionary societies spoke out against the act.

Couscous on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Was it?

Look I don't really care for Jackson and I'm glad this is happening, but, I'm fairly confident that owning slaves and performing duels was pretty common for wealthy white folk in the 17 & 1800s. Also yes he was kind of a dick when he was president to people who he didn't like, which, I guess if you are on his shit list, you might find him abhorrent.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not putting everything together at a glance, I sincerely thought this was going to be a spam thread when I first clicked on it.

"Who is Lew? Am I going to regret finding out if Tubman is related to... another Tub-person related thing from the earlier days of the internet?"

I'm glad it all worked out for the best.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Was it?

Look I don't really care for Jackson and I'm glad this is happening, but, I'm fairly confident that owning slaves and performing duels was pretty common for wealthy white folk in the 17 & 1800s. Also yes he was kind of a dick when he was president to people who he didn't like, which, I guess if you are on his shit list, you might find him abhorrent.
    "The evil, Sir, is enormous; the inevitable suffering incalculable. Do not stain the fair fame of the country. . . . Nations of dependent Indians, against their will, under color of law, are driven from their homes into the wilderness. You cannot explain it; you cannot reason it away. . . . Our friends will view this measure with sorrow, and our enemies alone with joy. And we ourselves, Sir, when the interests and passions of the day are past, shall look back upon it, I fear, with self-reproach, and a regret as bitter as unavailing."

^

A contemporary quote, not a modern opinion

Yes there were plenty of people who didn't give a fuck about the Indians and were greedy for this. Predictably there were also plenty who saw it for what it was. The idea that basic human decency is a recent invention is completely ridiculous.

• Options
    edited April 2016

Was it?

Why does everyone always forget the Trail of Tears and blatant anti indian rhetoric (and actual killing) prior and during his presidency... Like every time.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Was it?

"The evil, Sir, is enormous; the inevitable suffering incalculable. Do not stain the fair fame of the country. . . . Nations of dependent Indians, against their will, under color of law, are driven from their homes into the wilderness. You cannot explain it; you cannot reason it away. . . . Our friends will view this measure with sorrow, and our enemies alone with joy. And we ourselves, Sir, when the interests and passions of the day are past, shall look back upon it, I fear, with self-reproach, and a regret as bitter as unavailing."

^

Yes there were plenty of people who didn't give a fuck about the Indians and were greedy for this. Predictably there were also plenty who saw it for what it was. The idea that basic human decency is a recent invention is completely ridiculous.

It's not as though his treatment of the Indians was unpopular, though. This kind of bullshit had been, and continued to be, pretty common for pretty much up until the early 1990s. My tribe is probably one of the more famous tribes of the Iroquois because of the shit they did in the early 90s in Canada/NY.

It's not new, or recent, no, but it wasn't exactly causing riots as people were mostly indifferent to the indigenous people of the US. I'd say that this popular, vehement dislike of Jackson is fairly new, as all presidents will have people who dislike them.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I know this is kind of a weird take, but with a lot of these "replace old dead white guy with old dead [race] [gender]" things. I tend to get kind of disappointed in the replacements. Sorta like when February rolled around in elementary school and you end up learning about a guy who really really loved peanuts. Its not like you normally hear about Robert C Baker every year through 6th grade.

That's partly because American public elementary schools are intensely averse to controversy. So we pick cuddly, nonthreatening representatives of black history (like George Washington Carver) or canonized ones who nobody dares criticize (like MLK) to teach to kids, leaving people to learn about Huey Newton or Nat Turner in college (if ever).

It's also partly because history education in US public schools is just kind of terrible in general. George Washington Carver wasn't just a guy who really loved peanuts, but that's the way it's taught to kids. Restoration-era arable land was widely devastated by the South's attempt to monopolize the cotton industry. Carver spread knowledge about crop rotation, and peanuts were an effective and cheap nitrogen fixer that could be rotated along with nitrogen-depleting cotton plants. Meanwhile malnutrition was rampant, especially niacin deficiency (pellagra). Promoting peanuts and peanut products as a staple foodstuff helped promote a market for the peanuts grown for nitrogen rotation, improving the income of poor farmers, and it gave them a reliable source of niacin to combat pellagra.

So here was a man born at a time when black literacy was rare, who spent his life improving the scientific knowledge, literacy, economic status, and health of poor black freemen.

But that absolutely did not come through in my public schooling, either. I also learned him as a guy who really loved peanuts. I did not get the economic or health or political context at all.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Feral wrote: »

That's partly because American public elementary schools are intensely averse to controversy. So we pick cuddly, nonthreatening representatives of black history (like George Washington Carver) or canonized ones who nobody dares criticize (like MLK) to teach to kids, leaving people to learn about Huey Newton or Nat Turner in college (if ever).

It's also partly because history education in US public schools is just kind of terrible in general. George Washington Carver wasn't just a guy who really loved peanuts, but that's the way it's taught to kids. Restoration-era arable land was widely devastated by the South's attempt to monopolize the cotton industry. Carver spread knowledge about crop rotation, and peanuts were an effective and cheap nitrogen fixer that could be rotated along with nitrogen-depleting cotton plants. Meanwhile malnutrition was rampant, especially niacin deficiency (pellagra). Promoting peanuts and peanut products as a staple foodstuff helped promote a market for the peanuts grown for nitrogen rotation, improving the income of poor farmers, and it gave them a reliable source of niacin to combat pellagra.

So here was a man born at a time when black literacy was rare, who spent his life improving the scientific knowledge, literacy, economic status, and health of poor black freemen.

But that absolutely did not come through in my public schooling, either. I also learned him as a guy who really loved peanuts. I did not get the economic or health or political context at all.

The American government made the decision in the 1950s to encourage the teaching of "consensus history" that emphasized the positives of the American system over communism while papering over any conflicts or bad actions by the society and government. It was blatant propaganda, and we are living with the effects. Our politics are what you'd expect out of several generations of propagandized citizens who cannot think outside a very narrow worldview.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Was it?

^

It's not as though his treatment of the Indians was unpopular, though. This kind of bullshit had been, and continued to be, pretty common for pretty much up until the early 1990s. My tribe is probably one of the more famous tribes of the Iroquois because of the shit they did in the early 90s in Canada/NY.

It's not new, or recent, no, but it wasn't exactly causing riots as people were mostly indifferent to the indigenous people of the US. I'd say that this popular, vehement dislike of Jackson is fairly new, as all presidents will have people who dislike them.

My argument is not that the opinion of Jackson [hasn't] grown worse with time. It is that he was controversial in his own time (and he was, even cursory research will support this).

You know who else was controversial in their time, had a variety of terrible personal opinions, but arguably did important things during their presidency? Nixon.

Are you going to rush to stick him on a bank note? If not, then why have Jackson on one?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    He also didn't even invent peanut butter (like schools taught), he just popularized pretty much the idea of using peanuts as a cash crop.

Dude was a fucking amazing person though.

• Options
    The American government made the decision in the 1950s to encourage the teaching of "consensus history" that emphasized the positives of the American system over communism while papering over any conflicts or bad actions by the society and government. It was blatant propaganda, and we are living with the effects. Our politics are what you'd expect out of several generations of propagandized citizens who cannot think outside a very narrow worldview.

This is an interesting revelation to me and I think I'm going to enjoy reading about it further.