As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I want Automata but I haven't even played Nier yet!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Well, to play Nier you'd first have to
    Play Drakengard

And no-one wants to do that. So maybe you should just start with this one, since the gameplay'll be better, Taro Yoko will be drunker when writing it, and it's supposedly designed to work near (Ha!) as well for new players as for returning ones.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I loved Nier so much.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Play Drakengard

And no-one wants to do that. So maybe you should just start with this one, since the gameplay'll be better, Taro Yoko will be drunker when writing it, and it's supposedly designed to work near (Ha!) as well for new players as for returning ones.

Nah, you don't have to do that to play Nier.

I didn't, and I understood it just fine.

IKknkhU.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Play Drakengard

Nah, you don't have to do that to play Nier.

I didn't, and I understood it just fine.

I might have been making a joke. I'm honestly not sure myself.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    If you're suggesting someone play that game then yes I would hope you were joking

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Nier doesn't play great but they were obviously trying to make a playable product

That game actually just hates you and everything you stand for

Nier doesn't play great but they were obviously trying to make a playable product

That game actually just hates you and everything you stand for

It's also art!

Like, Taro Yoko was making commentary on the nature of Musou games there, with interesting, fucked up characters, starting down thematic routes that lead to Drakengard III and Nier (and presumably Automata).

It's just that he did it in a clunky fucker of a game.

Drakengard II, meanwhile, is slightly less clunky, but also less interesting. It's just a Bad Game.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    If you're suggesting someone play that game then yes I would hope you were joking

drakengard 1 is really old and rough, 2 is bad, 3 is actually really good and one of the most progressively-minded games with some really backwards tropes in it

also nier is a beautiful tragedy of a game

I don't think I played Nier long enough to get to any of the "good" parts

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I recommend at least going through a good LP to see the plot

It's a real humdinger

Okay, so weapon ranks in Bravely Default

Am I going to have to be doing math and playing a guessing game regarding weapon stats and their grades?

Like okay, example, if I have a lance that shows an attack of 30 for Ringabel, but it's S rank, and I have a broadsword with an attack of 32, but it's A rank, is the S rank lance still actually better?

When I hit optimize, it gives me the A rank weapon with the higher attack stat, I'm just hoping there's not some underlying system that optimize equipment isn't taking into account

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    drakengard 1 is very much a game that did not age well

the dynasty warriors parts always felt tedious to me, I just slogged through them because I liked the dragon flying ace combat parts

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The Attack you have when you equip something factors in weapon rank, so just equip both and compare stats

I think it scales your damage based on rank, so E is x1 and S is x2

VRXwDW7.png
    Weapon rank also determines how many hits you do doesn't it? So an S-Rank weapon will do something like five hits where an A-Rank will do three or four?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I loved everything about Nier except the gardening which just felt pointless.

Loved Drakengard too.

so there

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I remember looking into how a Ninja with Frentic Fighting might work, and number of hits is based on your agility(Every 10 agility is an attack up to a cap) plus a bonus from your class. So Ninjas and Hunters get like 7 extra attacks, where pirates would get maybe 2 extra

VRXwDW7.png
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I remember looking into how a Ninja with Frentic Fighting might work, and number of hits is based on your agility(Every 10 agility is an attack up to a cap) plus a bonus from your class. So Ninjas and Hunters get like 7 extra attacks, where pirates would get maybe 2 extra

Oh so this is why Ringabel was doing ludicrous damage with those Norende daggers that gave +20 AGI each.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Definitely play Nier. Just ignore every single sidequest or activity and concentrate on advancing the plot and unlocking the endings. The actual gameplay is nothing special, but it's also not bad or broken. There's also lots of fun things they do with the fairly basic abilities, sometimes even just changing the camera angle makes everything different.

I'd recommend checking out the incredible Let's Plays of the Drakengards instead of playing them, though. The one for Nier is also great, but the game isn't nearly as frustrating or time consuming as the Drakengards.

uyvfOQy.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Some parts of Nier are just podcasts, anyway.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I Am Setsuna is coming out July 19th on PS4 and Steam! Because there are not enough Jrpgs coming out this summer

teaser trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Aeigc_bjFA

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I went back and am now playing FF5, which I never finished

and it's kind of surprising and stark just how much care it placed in character development and stuff for such an old game. Also how it doesn't fuck around with pacing and whiplashes you around everywhere and puts you on railroads when shit needs to happen. I'm near the end of world 1 now.

I'm having this weird epiphany where now the best parts of old FFs are the ones where you're not in control and are forced to just go forward through events, all the primitive setpieces.

it puts 13 into perspective, like I see what they were trying to do there. Obviously execution is everything, and 10 did the same thing but with much better results, but I sort of get the intention now.

sig.gif
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I Am Setsuna is coming out July 19th on PS4 and Steam! Because there are not enough Jrpgs coming out this summer

teaser trailer

is it just me or does that tell me literally nothing about the game

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

teaser trailer

Aren't all those images rendered in game, though? I think that's what I remember from their original announcement back at last year's E3?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'll probably end up buying that game just cause it looks beautiful.

Magic Pink wrote: »

teaser trailer

Aren't all those images rendered in game, though? I think that's what I remember from their original announcement back at last year's E3?

yeah but there's still absolutely nothing about the game. Isn't that just a bunch of backgrounds?

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The trailer could have definitely been a bit more... uhh, descriptive? Indicative of gameplay? There are a number of articles already released by the gaming press who have played the Japanese version and give their impressions. I really want some gameplay video showing off combat and world movement.

It's entirely likely we'll get another trailer with more details from E3.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I went back and am now playing FF5, which I never finished

and it's kind of surprising and stark just how much care it placed in character development and stuff for such an old game. Also how it doesn't fuck around with pacing and whiplashes you around everywhere and puts you on railroads when shit needs to happen. I'm near the end of world 1 now.

I'm having this weird epiphany where now the best parts of old FFs are the ones where you're not in control and are forced to just go forward through events, all the primitive setpieces.

it puts 13 into perspective, like I see what they were trying to do there. Obviously execution is everything, and 10 did the same thing but with much better results, but I sort of get the intention now.
    Glad you're giving it a go! FF5's a classic, easily the best prior to 13. Hope you enjoy it enough to try the Four Job Fiesta next time it rolls around. It's incredible how much replay value that game has.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Well I would disagree that it's the best pre-13 FF

because 6 and 9 are right there

still, I find myself enjoying it way more and on a much more essential level than the nostalgic hole-plugging I expected.

There's just something really, really tight about the pacing that I'm sure if I went back to any from 4 to 10 I'd also appreciate. That's a game that knows when to throw story, a dungeon or a boss at you to keep you engaged. It shifts gears as soon as you're getting bored with one thing.

sig.gif
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I really wish Wyborn would play FF5 one day

I really wish I had bought the GBA version when it wasn't a billionty bucks

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    It really does suck that the only legally downloadable versions of FF5 are the really terrible ones.

sig.gif
    edited April 2016
    FFV Advance isn't that expensive, is it?

I remember thinking FFVI Advance was this rare gem that cost a bunch but shops around me sell it in the mid-$20 range, I thought I'd seen it going for around that rate as well

EDIT: Yeah, there's a boxed copy (not sealed) on eBay right now for $25, not bad at all

UnbreakableVow on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I Am Setsuna apparently plays a lot like Chrono Trigger

http://kotaku.com/square-enixs-new-rpg-harkens-back-to-their-big-90s-clas-1766346390

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98dNQ3KWSEk

This video seems a bit choppy at times, but I watched another one where it was fine, so I think it's just the recorder's hardware.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Ign put up 12 minutes of I am Setsuna gameplay. English version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMoGt2Airso

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I definitely see the Chrono Trigger influence, but the music (while beautiful) just isn't doing anything for me.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    FFV Advance isn't that expensive, is it?

I remember thinking FFVI Advance was this rare gem that cost a bunch but shops around me sell it in the mid-$20 range, I thought I'd seen it going for around that rate as well

EDIT: Yeah, there's a boxed copy (not sealed) on eBay right now for $25, not bad at all

Weird, the last few times I've checked, it's always been $70+

I found one used on Amazon for $25 as well, so, guess Wyborn will play FF5 some point in the upcoming future

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Ign put up 12 minutes of I am Setsuna gameplay. English version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMoGt2Airso

This looks really slick actually

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I was thinking about it the other day, but I'm sort of over waiting for ATB bars to charge. Just let people and enemies go in order based on their speed; I don't actually need to do all that waiting. I still want time to stop when the menus pop up, mind you.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The gameplay reminds me of Trigger and the music reminds me of Cross

I'm happy so far

This discussion has been closed.