As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Koji talking on a podcast like we are gonna see dalmasca in ff14

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Koji talking on a podcast like we are gonna see dalmasca in ff14

Don't believe Ondore's lies

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Also we will learn more about the heart of Sabin before the next xpac. Kinda figured that we'd never hear about that again

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Just started an Arcanist, on Sargatanas.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Awesome! In case you still haven't found it, the thread is in the MMO Extravaganza subforum.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll cancel my TOR sub and move that money back over to FFXIV sometime

The Palace of the Dead stuff sounds super rad

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Yeah, the GHOST Free Company is big and wealthy and very helpful to new people.

Unfortunately, Sargatanas can be difficult to create a new character on (you pretty much have to do it early morning or late evening).

I've actually been planning on getting back on after finishing Dark Souls to level up my paladin.

Saaaaaammmeee

I bet jehuty jones is kicked though

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Yeah, the GHOST Free Company is big and wealthy and very helpful to new people.

Unfortunately, Sargatanas can be difficult to create a new character on (you pretty much have to do it early morning or late evening).

I've actually been planning on getting back on after finishing Dark Souls to level up my paladin.

Saaaaaammmeee

I bet jehuty jones is kicked though

You can just ask to come back

They do purges of inactive members every 3 months to keep the list manageable

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    GHOST seemed kind of whatever anyway

Actually running anything was basically not going to happen because everyone had their own linkshells and statics and maybe like four people actually talked in FC chat

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Finally got the boat in FF9. This is a REALLY late stage to get your first transportation vehicle. Ah, that terrifying yet lovely feeling of needing to go explore too many places....!

I really thought they'd just lob the airship at me.
    Boy, Alexandria sure blew up good.

Alexander's appearance was okay but it sure got shanked reeeeeeeal fast. That's 0 for 2 crazy strong summons being useful

And the whole "She's lost her voice" story dynamic is pretty contrived, but Garnet sure has had a lot of shitty things --in fact every shitty thing-- lobbed her way. Can't really blame her for going into shock. Pretty much every single plan failed spectacularly for her, eh

Also: Wug, souls and lifestream plot again eh

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    GHOST seemed kind of whatever anyway

Actually running anything was basically not going to happen because everyone had their own linkshells and statics and maybe like four people actually talked in FC chat

Huh that's weird when I was there people were always talking and starting groups in FC chat for things.

I'm east coast NA so maybe it's a time zone thing?

They always seemed p darn active.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Finally got the boat in FF9. This is a REALLY late stage to get your first transportation vehicle. Ah, that terrifying yet lovely feeling of needing to go explore too many places....!

I really thought they'd just lob the airship at me.
    Boy, Alexandria sure blew up good.

Alexander's appearance was okay but it sure got shanked reeeeeeeal fast. That's 0 for 2 crazy strong summons being useful

And the whole "She's lost her voice" story dynamic is pretty contrived, but Garnet sure has had a lot of shitty things --in fact every shitty thing-- lobbed her way. Can't really blame her for going into shock. Pretty much every single plan failed spectacularly for her, eh

Also: Wug, souls and lifestream plot again eh
    Getting the boat is basically the point at which you can really break the game, since you can get some REALLY overpowered items from chocograph hunting.

• Options
    Man, the onboarding stuff in FFXIV really ought to have a "yes I've played WoW" option. As with any MMO the first impression is heavy with WHOA WAY TOO MANY ICONS WHERE DO I GO

turns out everything is just a thing I know with another name.

Also that's a lot of "go talk to this person" quests to open with. I did manage to start killing stuff at the end there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, my priority is going to be:

1. Frog catching at every marsh so the frogs can repopulate as I do everything else
    2. Grab the Blue Magic skills Quina missed so far
    3. Revisit every town
    4. Chocobo Hot and Cold for a few billionty hours
    5. Advance the plot???

signature.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Heh, you're way ahead of me. My computer broke down last Friday so I haven't been able to play all week. At first I thought it was the PSU, but now I'm suspecting it's the motherboard.

Instead I've been watching Book 3 of Korra on my Kindle.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Man, the onboarding stuff in FFXIV really ought to have a "yes I've played WoW" option. As with any MMO the first impression is heavy with WHOA WAY TOO MANY ICONS WHERE DO I GO

turns out everything is just a thing I know with another name.

Also that's a lot of "go talk to this person" quests to open with. I did manage to start killing stuff at the end there.

If you don't like talking to people you're in for a bad time.

FFXIV is definitely a Final Fantasy game first. There is plot for miles and running across the world just to talk to people is not a thing they have an issue doing.

It is a fantastic MMO as well, but they had specific plans going into that game and they went hard on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm definitely getting the impression that it's a WoW clone first and FF second so far. But I can see how that's a thing they did to make the game relevant after they went all-in on FF and no-in on making it a playable MMO in the original version of the game.

I'm not against having a game structured and paced like a big-budget Jurp in the trappings of WoW, that said. In fact that's pretty much the entirety of the draw.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    they definitely front (and back)load the MMO aspects of FFXIV

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Having played wow I can't really understand the 'wow clone' except in the vaguest idea that maybe you've never played anything but wow?

It plays like ffxi with a few more map markers and a quest journal that doesn't require combing a submenu (praise be.)

Which is no surprise considering.

Also original was very playable. Actually it was pretty rad in a lot of ways. The story is something I kind of regret losing out on. It was nifty.

They just built this absolutely crappy world to work with and it just wasn't anything they could functionally work on long term.

A good example is how a v1 barrel had more polys than an entire v2 character.

V1 looked really pretty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The mechanics are straight up copy-pasted from WoW. It's far from being the only game that did that, but it's hard to get away from how this is totally a cooldown action bar game.

Understandable considering it's one of basically two successful MMO paradigms so far (and hell, even Destiny went more WoW-like when Taken King came out).

Obvs this is early-ass impressions, and the multiple classes on one dude with their own quest branches are a really cool hook I haven't seen elsewhere (which I understand is an import from XI).

sig.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    fffuuuu don't start playing FF14 you guys

you'll start talking about it and then I'll have to start playing and make yet another lalafell with a silly name to level to cap and then stop playing

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Arcanists are rad, good choice.

The level 60 summoner skill is basically the best thing in the game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Most of the jobs/classes are really cool at 60. Your mileage will vary. One to 50 is seriously MMO101 so you'll find that many of the classes don't get exciting until 38 and up.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I had the opposite problem with ghost

I had to shut off their chat because it moves way to fast

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

1. Frog catching at every marsh so the frogs can repopulate as I do everything else
    3. Revisit every town
    5. Advance the plot???

If you keep a male and female frog in a marsh they repopulate way faster. Even faster still if you keep the golden frog in there.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

3. Revisit every town
    5. Advance the plot???
    If you turn on the speedup boost, Chocobo Hot and Cold is really easy. It's harder to control your position, but you can dig like 3 times a second and the timer moves at normal speed. I managed to get all my chocographs in the first forest in about 10 minutes, and had almost 2k points because about 70% of the time I was able to get the max items found bonus.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I think I finally tipped the balance to system mastery in FF5. It happens around when you start getting the Legendary Weapons, and it just so happened I unlocked !Rapid Fire on Faris around then too. Finally feel I'm putting enough damage on enemies that I don't really have to worry about survival and can just mow through the game.

Got two Lithographs left to get, and the Fork Tower, then it's Job grinding time before I head towards the end. Exciting.

sig.gif
  • Options
    forget ghost, transfer to excalibur and join me in PLEASE BE CAREFUL

added benefits: less creepy pubs talking about "lolis" in fc chat

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

A little after hitting 50, when you hit the period between the base game and the expansion, you get to do about 30 straight hours of nothing but teleporting between towns and talking to people. Every five or ten hours or so you get to do a dungeon. There's multiple 20-30 minute cutscenes in there. The full game end credits play twice, maybe three times. There's post-credits stingers after all of them so you can't skip it.

Enjoy!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

That hasn't happened in months.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

Did we finally shame them into exile?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Pulled Bravely Default out of storage to finally finish it. I got to chapter five like a week after it came out, and only just mustered the will to finish the damn Groundhog's Day sequence this week, when I noticed the sequel was out.

So... Before I actually buy the sequel, does it have any similarly repetitive segments?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Also, a page or so late, but I would kill for another jrpg with the FFX initiative system. I even endured that goofy as hell LOTR game where you beat up the eye of motherfucking Sauron with your sword, and all the cutscenes were basically a clip show from the films, just because it had a similar combat style.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options

The incidents I was thinking about were over a year ago so that's an awful long stretch of time

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I found the Qu's Marsh island with all the adamantoise enemies outside, and now I have alllllllllll the EXP and Gil

I was 300k in Gil before I threw some away at the Treno Auction

Too much Gil!

signature.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

A little after hitting 50, when you hit the period between the base game and the expansion, you get to do about 30 straight hours of nothing but teleporting between towns and talking to people. Every five or ten hours or so you get to do a dungeon. There's multiple 20-30 minute cutscenes in there. The full game end credits play twice, maybe three times. There's post-credits stingers after all of them so you can't skip it.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I hope they trim that stuff down soon. I just kind of did whatever I could while waiting on a group finder queue. Took me a couple weeks.

Good news is since you can be every class on one character you only have to do it once!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

The incidents I was thinking about were over a year ago so that's an awful long stretch of time

Yeah. It hasn't happened since.

• Options
    I got back to the Black Mage Village, and
    For one horrifying moment I thought everyone had keeled over and Mr. 288 had buried them.

Then he was all "Yeah they went off to serve Kuja" and I breathed a sigh of relief

You go and do whatever you want, buddies. Just be alive

signature.png
  • Options
    @Tofystedeth the speed boost while Chocobo Hot and Colding was really, really effective, thank you. It saved a lot of time, but was also terrifying how quickly you could mash for results.

@Wyborn destroyed his fingers in service of the last two chocograph pieces and chocographs. Thank you Wyborn!

Now I apparently have final weapons for most of my crew. And I'm still nowhere near strong enough to fight Ozma. I'm in a weird position where my team has learned nearly all the abilities they need, so other than a level grind I don't have to search down many additional pieces of equipment or do much setup for the end. Hunh... what an odd feeling.

I still think they waited way too long to give you the ship and the airship.

signature.png
  • Options
    JP20160502_06.png

we ozma now

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
This discussion has been closed.