As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well I guess the question is "Do you think real modern style clothing options are boring?"

Because if the answer is yes, I think you are in for disappointment

You can do modern style clothing and not be boring.

But if your outfit design is literally "Nike logo t-shirt" in your epic fantasy game then yeah, I think your design work is pretty fuckin' dull.

Well some people prefer the basic simple look.

So as long as that's not all there is it's a good thing to offer that option.

And we've already seen enough outfits to know that that's not all there is.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I remember seeing some ridiculous looking track suit for Noctis with a dragon on the back?? Don't remember where though.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I mean ultimately the default design is the standard that will be judged most.

That's how the characters are "supposed" to look, how they will be marketed and generally portrayed.

Saying that you can change their clothes doesn't dismiss criticism of the canon design.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I mean ultimately the default design is the standard that will be judged most.

That's how the characters are "supposed" to look, how they will be marketed and generally portrayed.

Saying that you can change their clothes doesn't dismiss criticism of the canon design.

I don't think anyone was saying it did just that if you didn't like the base designs there were other options.

And as I posted on the last page I don't think the default design is bad at all and actually think it's quite good and accomplishes exactly what it sets out to.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    oh, it's not hard to tell the difference when looking at them

but they sorta blend into this big nothing, for me, because they went about trying to make a team look in a very blah way

good character design can reflect both individuality and uniformity simultaneously and i don't think the FFXV team does either very well

like if you have everyone wearing the exact same outfit, that makes differences stand out a lot more and speak louder

does this dude tie his tie properly, or is it always loose? does she just kinda let the jacket hang over her shoulders? What kind of condition has everything been kept in, is it old or new, etc. etc. Maybe there's specific personal touches, a wristband or they've painted their helmet a specific way.

It can be really effective at showing everyone is part of a team/unit while reminding you of who they are, and this can especially used well to contrast say, a group that's completely 100% uniform (like, say, the bad guys in most games)

alternatively, there's more individualized designs that can still share a theme in recurring patterns/designs/colors, which is closer to what FFXV hits, but all black always is like. the least subtle and interesting way of doing this.

(as a side note, while i have been informed you can change their outfits, they went for a specific style in the official trailers/demo/whatever so i'm digging into that. that's what these characters were designed to look like)

Hmm...I'm not exactly sure its missing that though.

Like you bring up the way folks tie their tie etc.

But like I easily noticed how Prompto has his pants cuffed. Glaudio is the most obvious with the open shirt look. Then Ignis of course has the more formal look of the 4. Noctis look is the most standard but he's the protagonist so that didn't surprise me. And even then I like the use of red on their underfoot to give color while not disrupting the solid black design they've got going on.

Also. I like the use of black as a color because it is such a heavily neutral one. It doesn't really pop and ask for your attention so you have to pay more attention to other things.

Someone mentioned Persona 4 and that's a good example. However, the use of the solid neutral color allows you to pay more attention elsewhere.

Like with P4 its

MC - Silver
    Yusuke - Yellow
    Chie - Green
    Yukiko - Red
    Kanji - Black
    Rise - Auburn
    Naoto - Violet

With Teddy having the most outlandish look(in his costume) to show his more foreign origin.

But I would also argue that the cast of persona isn't meant to be seen as a singular unit. They are classmates working together individual flair makes more sense.

FFXV is going for a more prince and his guard look. Basically, the use of a strong solid color without variation is used to show that these guys more or less function as a unit. And the outfits themselves are actually pretty different but don't draw attention to themselves in a strong manner because of this.

So, basically what I'm saying is I'm cool with it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah I think a lot of the things you mention there to differentiate people while they're ostensibly wearing something the same or similar is kind of exactly what they've done with the FFXV boys.

If anyone the only one that doesn't immediately communicate his character archetype with his default appearance is Noctis and that's because main characters are bland.

• Options
    I should also say that it's not just the clothing designs I find boring.

The overall visual aesthetic is dull as dishwater IMO.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I want to be able to dress my video game characters like I can in Tales games. Completely with stupidly-oversized hats and sunglasses.

bAYTE9Bl.jpg

• Options
    I should also say that it's not just the clothing designs I find boring.

The overall visual aesthetic is dull as dishwater IMO.

And it's the biggest thing that has drawn me to the game.

• Options
    Honestly I wish the series would have chosen to go down a slightly more cartoony path, for lack of a better word.

The whole "make the people look as ultra realistic as possible but still give them anime hair" look of the series from pretty much 8 and on(save for 9) has never really looked that good.

It's one of the reason I don't like how 14 looks at all. Everyone ends up kinda looking like a creepy doll.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Honestly I wish the series would have chosen to go down a slightly more cartoony path, for lack of a better word.

The whole "make the people look as ultra realistic as possible but still give them anime hair" look of the series from pretty much 8 and on(save for 9) has never really looked that good.

It's one of the reason I don't like how 14 looks at all. Everyone ends up kinda looking like a creepy doll.

Nooooo thank goodness they didn't do that.

There's already plenty jrpgs that do that. No sense in just having them go down the exact same path.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    As much as 10 had the weird uncanny valley thing going on, too, at least it was vibrant and colorful.

The muted, washed-out look of 15 makes me think of Man of Steel.

• Options
    Just looked over a series of screenshots of the game, since I admittedly haven't been paying the closest attention to every bit of media that has come out about it

But I feel like we're looking at two different games or something

Like they have gone with a general aesthetic that has at least one foot in modern reality, but there is plenty of fantastical things and color as well

• Options
    I should say I was mainly talking about how the people look.

There's some very nice-looking environments.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    As much as 10 had the weird uncanny valley thing going on, too, at least it was vibrant and colorful.

I have absolutely no idea how you're coming away from FF15 thinking it looks washed-out.

In terms of color palette, it's just like an Elder Scrolls game: meant to look realistic.

I neither need nor want Final Fantasy games to start looking like Neptunia.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

I have absolutely no idea how you're coming away from FF15 thinking it looks washed-out.

In terms of color palette, it's just like an Elder Scrolls game: meant to look realistic.

And I want Final Fantasy games to be more colorful and not look like Elder Scrolls.

Opinions!

• Options
    This conversation feels weird for me because usually when FFXV comes up I'm the one talking about how I'm not convinced it won't be an out of control dumpster fire

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    This conversation feels weird for me because usually when FFXV comes up I'm the one talking about how I'm not convinced it won't be an out of control dumpster fire

I mean, whether or not it will be fun to play is an entirely different story.

But hey, it DOES look really good!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    In other words: I think the Rikku in Stilts' avatar looks a lot more visually appealing than the one in Stilts' sig.

The rest of the design clashes with the "realistic" art style in a way that ends up just looking wrong to me.

One of the biggest reasons the series has slowly lost my interest over the years(aside from the drastic changes to gameplay style) is the push towards "realistic" character models. It's led to what I feel is a much blander-looking style that often looks ugly when combined with more fantastical hair/clothes/settings/etc.

So in that respect, the unspectacular clothes in 15 do fit the style better, so it's not as offputting.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    In other words: I think the Rikku in Stilts' avatar looks a lot more visually appealing than the one in Stilts' sig.

The rest of the design clashes with the "realistic" art style in a way that ends up just looking wrong to me.

One of the biggest reasons the series has slowly lost my interest over the years(aside from the drastic changes to gameplay style) is the push towards "realistic" character models. It's led to what I feel is a much blander-looking style that often looks ugly when combined with more fantastical hair/clothes/settings/etc.

So in that respect, the unspectacular clothes in 15 do fit the style better, so it's not as offputting.

You realize that sig cycles images, right?

But yes, realistic gets dull (see: Brown and grey shooters)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    To be fair most of those cycled images have Rikku in them because it's Stilts!

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

And I want Final Fantasy games to be more colorful and not look like Elder Scrolls.

Opinions!

Well yea opinions on the style and it not being your cup of tea are all well and good.

But saying the game looks washed out and muted doesn't really mesh with what's been shown of the game.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I guess the difference to me is that "realistic" does not immediately mean "dull."

It can be, sure, if your environmental design is shitty.

But the real world has a ton of color and variety; and from what I've seen, FF15 is attempting to emulate that variety.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm sympathetic to people who want a more Guilty Gear Xrd style, 'cuz that does look pretty damn good. But also it's nice to have at least one JRPG series that doesn't go full anime with its art style.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I think the characters themselves look very muted, especially when compared to other Jurps that are more vibrant and colorful.

• Options
    To be fair most of those cycled images have Rikku in them because it's Stilts!

ALL of them do

Because I'm Stilts

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    FFXV looks rad and the characters look rad and their clothes look rad and so does the whole aesthetic of their world

It looks

Rad

Also I'm really glad to hear about Shiva, I'll start the 2.X quests tonight

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

If by creepy doll you mean "swole stripper magician" then sure.

ffxiv_02242016_134851_zpsmzg5fgvc.png

What, everybody else didn't get that set?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    FFXV looks rad and the characters look rad and their clothes look rad and so does the whole aesthetic of their world

It looks

Rad

Also I'm really glad to hear about Shiva, I'll start the 2.X quests tonight

Just a heads up: overall I'd say that the story gets a lot better and more interesting as the 2.X progresses, but the first bit of it some people find a little meandering. This is because when your only getting so much story every 3 months, people don't mind spending more time on minor points of the story, but if your mainlining it it seems a bit much. I'd recommend mixing it up by doing the post-50 content that unlocks alongside the patches as you go! especially the crystal tower

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I just do whatever quests I find as I go along

I did that Hildibrand quest last night and good lord

FFXIV takes itself seriously quite a bit of the time so when that kind of humor pops up it is both jarring and wholly appreciated

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Also if you haven't bought the xpac yet you might want to go ahead and do that. No sense wasting all that XP.

I was almost 52 when I started Heavensward stuff.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I got Heavensward for $10 from Best Buy a few months back, that's what prompted all of this! I'm currently 51

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I just do whatever quests I find as I go along

I did that Hildibrand quest last night and good lord

FFXIV takes itself seriously quite a bit of the time so when that kind of humor pops up it is both jarring and wholly appreciated

hildibrand is the light. there are actually multiple really fun trial battles and glamour/titles/emotes behind those quests so I highly recommend keeping up with them!

if you want something similar, check out the postmoogle quests. It's basically a long series of quests that gives minor recurring npcs their own storylines. Like, did you ever want to know more about the aesthetician? postmoogle is your chance!

other worthwhile things off the top of my head: Binding Coil storyline, apartments, hard mode primals (i think you have to do some of them at some point anyways though), the extreme primals if you are so inclined, relic weapons, gardening, Grand Company Squadrons, and the hard mode dungeons

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    The intro cutscene to the Shiva fight is still one of the coolest things I've seen in FFXIV

counterpoint: her limit break is cooler

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    The intro cutscene to the Shiva fight is still one of the coolest things I've seen in FFXIV

counterpoint: her limit break is cooler

And her song is the best.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I like that DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN to the opening of leviathan. and the fight does terrain so much better than titan(usually), they clearled learned from that disaster

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    I like that DUN dun dun DUN dun dun DUN to the opening of leviathan. and the fight does terrain so much better than titan(usually), they clearled learned from that disaster

leviathan is rad. its also a lot like bowling in that when you fight him on extreme you don't get any bumpers

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Little sad that I can't dye my cool awesome level 50 paladin armor

• Options
    Little sad that I can't dye my cool awesome level 50 paladin armor

you can, but you gotta get this special version of it made by crafters? its probably not too expensive nowadays but you gotta jump through a hoop or two to dye artifact gear
    http://i.imgur.com/h9tZIhp.jpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I don't get why you can't just dye everything

• Options
    yeah. presumably it takes some doing? idk. i feel like i haven't run into non-dyeable stuff in a long time though.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
This discussion has been closed.