RIP Prince, 1958-2016

1234568»

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Prince knew how to play guitar

Fuck, now I'm reliving George Harrison's death.

That one hit me particularly hard, too. He was my favorite Beatle, it's fitting Prince would be helping memorialize him.

Xaquin
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in further rock and roll legend death news, guitarist Lonnie Mack has passed.

2016: The Year The Music Died.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    This isn't super on topic, but Michelle McNamara just passed away

She was only 45

She was an incredible true crime author, not only insightful and knowledgable but deeply empathetic. She never went for shock value, she always tried to memorialize the victims. She was so good at what she did that there was even one case where she ended up giving a crucial lead to the police

She was married to Patton Oswalt, and they seemed like a very happy couple

This is awful.

ShortyJohnny ChopsockyEmperorSethSweeney TomMalReynoldsadmanbDarth WaiterjoshofalltradesYaYaGoose!OlivawBlankZoeMetzger MeisterZonugalOne Thousand Cableschrishallett83Zilla360masterofmetroidEmporiumJacques L'HommeA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Maybe we just need a FUCK. THIS. YEAR. celebrity death thread.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Maybe we just need a FUCK. THIS. YEAR. celebrity death thread.

No thanks

DJ EebstynicMalReynoldsSweeney TomUsagiDarth WaiterNeoTomajoshofalltradesVegemyteBlankZoeMetzger MeisterZonugalWeedLordVegetaGustavgtrmpchrishallett83PsykomaRaijin QuickfootZilla360masterofmetroidAshcroftEvilCakeAndy JoeShortySkeithMatev
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    That's just asking 2016 to take more victims

OlivawZilla360
    Raijin texted me "What if Cher is next?" and I said "DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE"

I'll seriously call out of or leave work if that happens

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Raijin texted me "What if Cher is next?"

dick move

Garlic BreadSweeney TomjoshofalltradesOlivawZonugalRaijin QuickfootDisruptedCapitalistRobonun
    He's a huge dick with a not huge dick

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Someone is keeping an eye on gord downie I hope.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    I'm sad, this year is making me very sad and the music I grew up with is dying. This blows.

davidsdurions
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    When Doves Cry on repeat, that will be my week.

Tommy2Hands
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the best part of that Still My Guitar Gently Weeps video is, they're all jamming along and prince is off to stage left being inconspicuous, and right before Prince comes in (3:20) Dani Harrison looks over with this shit eating grin on his face like 'oh man it's about to get real'

NREqxl5.jpg
    pookaPoorochondriactynicdavidsdurionsSweeney TomOlivawMetzger MeisterVegemyteKwoaruRorshach Kringlechrishallett83jgeisbalerbowerTransporterZilla360XaquinTynnanDisruptedCapitalistjoshofalltradesFawstGoose!RobonunShortySkeith
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Yeah, he wasn't my thing, but he was talented and quite the hard worker. In other news, top story for local paper's site, "Bieber enrages Prince fans with comments."
    Apparently a musician posted on Instagram saying Prince was the last of the truly great living performers

Bieber commented saying "well not the last great living performer..."

Very tasteful

CYpGAPn.png
    tynicpooka
  • MuddypawsMuddypaws Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Begone from this thread Bieber, you are not worthy.

Purple Rain was the second album I ever bought with my 50p a week pocket money. He kind of started me on the path of 'fuck gender constructs. I bet I'm not alone in that.

Muddypaws on
    Zilla360
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Man, I 'm watching his special as I read this post. I suddenly can't hear his act and just want to hug him

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Maya Rudolph in this video is maybe the most hyped I've ever seen anyone be

6F32U1X.png
    Tommy2HandspookaBillyIdleGoose!
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't dick shame me in the Prince Memorial Thread!

HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Aw man

Patton is sort of a dingus on twitter but thats awful, poor guy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I imagine we may not get another comedy albulm/tour from him for 8-10 years...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    BillyIdleDisruptedCapitalistsilence1186VegemyteOlivawchrishallett83tynicDrCongoYaYaFencingsaxSkeith
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Near as I can tell, there is not a lot of stuff for Prince on Youtube, and it gets taken down pretty quickly, but here's a video of Prince absolutely killing it at the Superbowl:

E: So I'm at work listening to this (quietly), and someone sitting in the waiting area near my desk takes out his phone and ALSO puts on Purple Rain. Apparently Bruce Springsteen opened his concert tonight playing Purple Rain.

silence1186 on
    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

Tommy2Hands
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Paul and Storm did a nice Bowie/Prince tribute to close our their PAX East set.

KwoaruGoose!
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Paul and Storm did a nice Bowie/Prince tribute to close our their PAX East set.

Yeah it was really good, I didn't expected it at all and it felt nice to sing along to

2x39jD4.jpg
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DisruptedCapitalistGarlic BreadironsizideBillyIdle
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, Susan Sarandon has a ping-pong club?

tynicDisruptedCapitalist
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    Kevin Smith has a Prince story from when he was supposed to make a Prince documentary, which is neat:

PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Smith as a filmmaker (or a writer of comics) but goddamn if he doesn't know how to tell a good story

PsykomaZonugalJoeUser
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I got to see Bruce Springsteen perform Purple Rain last night. It was as awesome as you might expect.

V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

• chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, Susan Sarandon has a ping-pong club?

Welp, yeah it's a real thing. From the webpage it seems to be more of a nightclub/restaurant mashup with a few ping-pong tables in rooms. Oh, and you can be a franchisee if you want!