As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAXAMANIA II live on the main stage of PAX East at 10:30 AM EST!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The PAX Rumble should probably stay as it is, though I'm pretty sure they're never going to top Dr. Traksuit taking off a white tracksuit to reveal a black tracksuit

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Though sticking with the random element IS how you get Dan Ryckert talking shit for a full month in leadup, and then getting eliminated by a guy from Mega64 in 20 seconds

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Leave the random elements for VGCW

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I know next to nothing about wrestling

But even I can see the difference between a well planned show like Lucha Underground and the last minute scrambles that are every WWE main event

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    So I got in line for pax wrestling.

Sit there for about half an hour completely oblivious.

Look to my left.

Oh my god wait a second is that @rfilyaw???

So me and Ronnie watched pax wrestling and he's really nice and awesome and it was fantastic.

• Options

But even I can see the difference between a well planned show like Lucha Underground and the last minute scrambles that are every WWE main event

Lucha underground is entirely taped, usually over the course of a couple days

That allows for more coherent writing and less chance of injury derailing an arc and minimizer the chance for last minute changes

They are VERY different things

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    How's Amarisse doing/how'd she do/how is she expected to do? (Not watching this, so have no idea what verb tense to use)

She's been a friend since the wayback, so I feel like I should technically be cheering for her in this thing

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Yes

And you can see the difference in quality between those things

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    So I got in line for pax wrestling.

Sit there for about half an hour completely oblivious.

Look to my left.

Oh my god wait a second is that rfilyaw???

So me and Ronnie watched pax wrestling and he's really nice and awesome and it was fantastic.

Wait, you aren't Ronnie?

Your names share so many of the same letters!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I think Amarisse was the big winner of the day.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

The difference between Lucha Underground and WWE PPVs aren't that one is more well-planned than the other, really. Lucha Underground is heavily scripted and pre-taped in large chunks, WWE PPVs are built up by live events over weeks or months. I won't sit here and say that the WWE nails their storytelling, but by the time they get to a PPV or a main event, everything's generally pretty locked down and planned out, like...if you're looking for a real world example of sloppy, dumb shit in pro wrestling, you want to look at the last years of WCW

• Options
    How's Amarisse doing/how'd she do/how is she expected to do? (Not watching this, so have no idea what verb tense to use)

She's been a friend since the wayback, so I feel like I should technically be cheering for her in this thing

She may have technically won because she wasn't there.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

She was set for the title match

and could not make it to Pax East so they had to get a replacement

and then the champion also had to get a replacement

so the title match was between two proxies

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    She was hilarious and great at south though.

• Options
    There's no way to make a direct comparison though

The WWE is dramatically shaped by fan reaction week to week and it allows for incredible organic moments like wrestlemania 30, widely regarded by most wrestling fans as one of the greatest shows ever, if not the greatest

Lucha Underground is different, for better and worse,because it operates outside of that environment

If you wanted to make a better direct comparison you'd be better served by invoking New Japan Pro Wrestling,which still has booking issues similar to wwe's but has more consistent and believable characterization

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular

I see we're getting a Kaiju vs Chikara storyline for the back half of the season. Team Kaiju vs The Osirian Snake Pit for KoT finals!

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Pretty excited for Acquisitions Inc, if I'm honest.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    darleysam wrote: »
    Pretty excited for Acquisitions Inc, if I'm honest.

It's my favorite thing at PAX. It'd be nice to be able to see what's happening though.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Rothfuss' tshirt is maybe the best thing ever.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I am 100% in for murder mystery at Jim Darkmagic's estate.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular

Seriously can this just be magical Clue, with like bullshit magical portal shortcuts all over the house?

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Seriously can this just be magical Clue, with like bullshit magical portal shortcuts all over the house?

I'm thinking it's either this, or some kind of D&D escape room.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Meanwhile in actual wrestling.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    What happened at South I totally did not catch that one.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    What happened at South I totally did not catch that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwivzzW43Hw

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The short answer is "not much"

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Yes

You're right. One is set in a dingly small building that requires prior clearance and background checks before you can attempt a taping, and then once you get there you are required to cheer exactly the way they want you to, and the other is WWE.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Paxamania was beautiful and perfect and magical and my sign was flawless and with no mistakes on it whatsoever, much like the show itself

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    drake's suit is something Drake should wear

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    were those two actually from chicago pro wrestling?

cause holy shit are they so much better at this hahahaha

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oghulk wrote: »

Not Chicago

Chikara

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    resistance pro wrestling is the chicago wrestling federation of choice

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Paxamania was beautiful and perfect and magical and my sign was flawless and with no mistakes on it whatsoever, much like the show itself

I wish I could have been there, I need to get better with my financials so I can do something like back to back south and east.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Yes

You're right. One is set in a dingly small building that requires prior clearance and background checks before you can attempt a taping, and then once you get there you are required to cheer exactly the way they want you to, and the other is WWE.

Wow

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Ophidian in particular has been one of the most underrated active wrestlers for the better part of a decade now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBZQkC6iwlM

Like, the hypnosis spot is entertaining and all but this guy is remarkably agile and super charismatic. It's impressive how fast he nailed down the serpent mannerisms and voice. I really hope WWE gives him a spot in the cruiserweight tournament as he's definitely a guy who deserves the money and exposure.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

Ophidian in particular has been one of the most underrated active wrestlers for the better part of a decade now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBZQkC6iwlM

Like, the hypnosis spot is entertaining and all but this guy is remarkably agile and super charismatic. It's impressive how fast he nailed down the serpent mannerisms and voice. I really hope WWE gives him a spot in the cruiserweight tournament as he's definitely a guy who deserves the money and exposure.

As much as I agree that Ophidian is a guy who deserves all the money and recognition (he's maybe my favorite wrestler in the world), if I'm being honest, I'd be the slightest bit disappointed if he did end up in the GCS, or anything WWE really--he's long been one of the loudest voices on the scene in terms of supporting independent wrestling as an artform, with a heavy emphasis on the "independent."

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Charmy wrote: »
    This is the first Paxmania event I've watched.

...are they all like that?

I would say they're usually just about as dumb and usually about as much of a shitshow but all the actual wrestlers being involved is definitely a new thing.

Plus usually the matches actually involve video games.

If you wanna see some old events there are some well shot and produced versions on Aaron Trites's YouTube channel. I linked it in the OP.

Well I definitely just spent a huge portion of my day watching the old Paxmania videos. To the point where I'm now seriously considering buying a "Turn on the Fog Machine" shirt.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So yeah, I dragged my friend in to this, a guy who knows nothing about "real" wrestling or PAX "wrestling" and I think it was the best possible introduction. How did Patrick survive that assault??????
    Also, I got to high-five and say thanks to Argus on the way out <3

I figured there would be a big wrestlethread presence there, I wish I knew who more of you all were so I could have said hi!

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    The PAX Rumble should probably stay as it is, though I'm pretty sure they're never going to top Dr. Traksuit taking off a white tracksuit to reveal a black tracksuit

You best believe that Tracksuit being re-activated is gonna be some shit

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
This discussion has been closed.