As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation [Chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Also no one should ever reference schrödingers cat

That cat gaslit me.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I'm not actually entirely sure what gaslighting actually means, although I think that may be related to Feral's complaint about it. I've seen it used enough times that the meaning has become muddled, and I am pretty sure the word gets used incorrectly quite often.
    It's a form of abuse where you intentionally try and make people distrust their own memories. It's called this because it's based on a play, Gaslight, where there's an abusive dude who fucks around with stuff in his house (like dimming the gas lights) to get his wife to doubt her memory and perception.

The purpose behind it is to make you doubt your own perceptions. But the person who is doing it is so clear and firm on their understanding that you start to depend on them to filter your world for you. Clearly you're perceiving things as wrong, and the abuser is seeing them as right. Which means your judgement is wrong and theirs is right. It's one of the things that makes most attempts to get people away from their abusers fail. When you can't really trust your own perception of reality, and someone is telling you that no one will understand your relationship, then someone tells you they don't understand your relationship it feeds into that cycle. The abuser said your best friend wouldn't understand and they were right. They must also be right about how much your best friend wants to sleep with you. Or whatever lie they choose to put in there about why your best friend is really trying to intervene.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    The article dude annoys me a bit because he should not be talking about quantum mechanics

Very few people should be talking about quantum mechanics, and if someone is doing so who has not actually taken quantum mechanics, I am immediately skeptical and generally don't want to read what they have to say.

To be fair I am p bad at quantum mechanics and basically failed and had to redo the qm-themed question for my undergrad physics comps and got like a B or something in the class but um I did get a little better at it later and it's still better than no qm education at all...

I have no education in quantum physics

I just know just enough to recognize when somebody who knows nothing is working off of an even poorer understanding of not-quite-successful-analogies than my own poor understanding of the not-quite-successful-analogies

like this article dude who seems to be confusing quantum mechanics with some kind of bullshit ontology shit when he's like it tells us there isn't really a brain! oh fuck off brains are measurable

Yeah, I think it's definitely possible to get a really good layman's understanding like you seem to have; I think because of this you wouldn't use QM as an analogy in an article, probably?

And of course brains are measurable...thin-section them with a cryo-tome and map a full connectome! https://www.janelia.org/project-team/flyem

oh I meant analogy in the sense that everything in physics is an analogy that does not actually tell you what is there

like the planetary model of the atom or the... anything, really. Anything explaining reality without going into some really heavy math is an analogy on some level.

I would not phrase it that way, calling physics an analogy; instead I'd say that physics often produces either simplified models (which require perfect or unrealistic conditions ie vacuum, smooth surfaces, etc), or low-resolution models (which describe things at a large scale but not at a very small scale).

But I guess my concept of physics also includes both heavy math and ugly, non-simple, experimentally-derived electron density maps of very small things.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Can we reference the cat and buttered toast experiment?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I'm all for scientists exploring metaphysics and physics and crafting theories etc.
    That's great. They are trained to test their hypothesis etc.

But none of that shit puts food on the table for me, so I could give two fucks whether the keyboard I'm typing on is black or if my dim view of "reality" makes it black.

this is like a really needlessly hostile stance you're taking it seems

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    One of the most interesting revelations of physics was when basically E=mc2 actually clicked

going deeper into elementary particles, because like, atoms aren't a thing-thing, they're just particular arrangements of other smaller stuff. Who are arrangements of etc etc etc

and you never find anything that is.... a physical mass, the way we intuitively think of stuff. And I had, like most people I'd guess, thought of E=mc2 like the exchange rate between mass and energy, but mass is energy and oooooh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    A novel I really enjoyed was basically ruined by this quantum mechanics misinterpretation and I will always have a chip on my shoulder about it

What novel?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSKzgpt4HBU

this one is really good for that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    A novel I really enjoyed was basically ruined by this quantum mechanics misinterpretation and I will always have a chip on my shoulder about it

What novel?

The bible am I right fellow faqihs

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    it is cold af here

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Can we reference the cat and buttered toast experiment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yW5cyXXRc

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I would say most gaslighting in an abusive relationship is a deliberate rather then accidental act. It's one of the things that creates both dependence on and protection for the abuser. They may not be aware of the term, but they are generally very aware of the effects.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what if i reference schrodinger's actual cat

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    These new dota patch notes gaslit me.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    i was accused of gaslighting once but i seriously had completely different memories of events from my ex

wait was i being gaslight

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Star Wars
    Star Wars
    Party time
    Excellent

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    what if i reference schrodinger's actual cat

No one likes to talk abut Mittens.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    i was accused of gaslighting once but i seriously had completely different memories of events from my ex

Meta-gaslighting.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    that page all about estranged parents is terrifying and fascinating to me. i can't help but reread it over and over from time to time. the ability to self justify and instantly warp any narrative/ignore what happened just blows my mind. if only i could harness this power and my horrible decisions weren't my fault and everyone else was at fault...

it is both my definition of evil and incredibly seductive as a possible means to escape this daily wish to not exist. though i know they're not actually happy, more like the furthest thing from it, whereas i have lots of happy moments.

*taps chin, lays down under desk*

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I would say most gaslighting in an abusive relationship is a deliberate rather then accidental act. It's one of the things that creates both dependence on and protection for the abuser. They may not be aware of the term, but they are generally very aware of the effects.

I don't think that gaslighting in a narrow sense is likely to be as common as you are making it out to be, especially with the extreme broadening of the definition as of late.

Emotional manipulation, sure, abusive relationships are full of that. Explicitly trying to cause a person to seriously doubt their perception of reality? That seems significantly less likely.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Ahahaha, I got Mint on this week's Sentinels one-shot with three minutes left to go before the weekly timer expired

that...was very satisfying.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The article dude annoys me a bit because he should not be talking about quantum mechanics
    The idea that what we’re doing is measuring publicly accessible objects, the idea that objectivity results from the fact that you and I can measure the same object in the exact same situation and get the same results — it’s very clear from quantum mechanics that that idea has to go. Physics tells us that there are no public physical objects.

it's that super common complete misunderstanding of what "observe" means. The reason you and I can't measure the same electron twice is that it's not in the same situation once I've observed it because I had to do stuff to it.

This is infuriating to me. Particles are changed by observation because to observe them you need to physically interact with them. This is not some magic property of the human mind shaping reality.

It's not as if this isn't how we observe everything

Just a billion photons reflecting off the door doesn't change it nearly as much as bouncing elementary particles off each other

Same as bouncing a billiard ball off a brick wall doesn't change it as much as bouncing it off dave's head

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    it's fun when you come upon an advice question and it so obviously follows the pattern of gaslighting/abuse

here, enjoy this one

http://ask.metafilter.com/281786/Did-my-boyfriend-just-get-married

• Options
    i warn you, it's they fucked on the boat level

spoiler: OF COURSE HE JUST GOT MARRIED

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    that page all about estranged parents is terrifying and fascinating to me. i can't help but reread it over and over from time to time. the ability to self justify and instantly warp any narrative/ignore what happened just blows my mind. if only i could harness this power and my horrible decisions weren't my fault and everyone else was at fault...

it is both my definition of evil and incredibly seductive as a possible means to escape this daily wish to not exist. though i know they're not actually happy, more like the furthest thing from it, whereas i have lots of happy moments.

There is a happiness about self awareness that most people do not really try to grasp, I think.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'ma stream some.

If the stream suddenly stutters and then I die horribly, that's the actual game stuttering.

https://beam.pro/EchoPlays

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    it's fun when you come upon an advice question and it so obviously follows the pattern of gaslighting/abuse

here, enjoy this one

Dang, a tenured professor at 29.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The illustrative part of the Schrödinger's cat analogy is the part that people usually miss, too.

The point is not that the cat is both alive and dead, that's not the weird part. The point is that macroscopic systems can be made to obey quantum rules.

• Options
    milski wrote: »

I don't think that gaslighting in a narrow sense is likely to be as common as you are making it out to be, especially with the extreme broadening of the definition as of late.

Emotional manipulation, sure, abusive relationships are full of that. Explicitly trying to cause a person to seriously doubt their perception of reality? That seems significantly less likely.

Perception of events is very, very malleable.

Not "YOU ARE MAD! YOU ARE MAD AND YOUR SHOES ARE SHRINKING!" but "it wasn't that bad"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A mental health student group put like 200 backpacks along the sidewalk with
    sheets of paper about a US college student who committed suicide. Jesus Christ I'm trying stay positive for exams here.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

here, enjoy this one

Dang, a tenured professor at 29.
    and with a wife and a little extra on the side

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

I think it's normal for memories not to align, so questions of gaslighting kind of depend on how the rest of the relationship was.

• Options
    schrodinger's cat analogy needs to continue past "it's both alive and dead" because quantum mechanics gets so much weirder

the double slit experiment is, essentially "The cat is both alive and dead at the same time, right? Well, the live cat now eats the dead cat, which is the same cat"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    alright I slept from 2:30 to 1:45 so now my sleep cells are charged I can go another week without sleeping

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    EM you should write a pop science book about the belief of Tayy al-Arz, the Islamic version of astral projection, and tie it to quantum physics by conflating fuzzy terms from wildly different fields

Title it Quran Physics, sell millions

I have no problem manipulating this nonsense to make money because I want a lot of objects that cost money

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    a

a

a

a

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

The thing is, we all do this, to some degree. It seems extreme when you read it, but everyone has their own narrative, their own "story", and we go to great lengths to continue to justify this story, including denying evidence and arguing when people do not agree with the details. I would argue that this isn't necessarily evil, but it's simply being human. It's a coping mechanism for our poor human brains.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

What novel?

Stone, by Adam Roberts

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    A mental health student group put like 200 backpacks along the sidewalk with
    sheets of paper about a US college student who committed suicide. Jesus Christ I'm trying stay positive for exams here.

That's a hell of a psych experiment

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »

I think it's normal for memories not to align, so questions of gaslighting kind of depend on how the rest of the relationship was.

well we constantly had disagreements about past events and then that term got thrown out and i was like

whoa hey waitaminute

This discussion has been closed.