As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Dark Souls 2 is a good game that is fun and great.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the four we see have linked the first flame previously, either by choice or not.

But there's one we don't...
    Lothric, who I believe has never linked the flame, but his souls is powerful, so it probably qualifies him maybe? Not super sure...This cycle and linking of the flame is all wrong.

Oh, and also, finally I can share why I believe a certain thing.
    Basically, the Kiln of the First Flame is my evidence that Ludleth did something FUCK UP in order to restore the flame after it had gone out.

The Kiln has always been somewhere that's between space and time, again, in DS1 you had to walk through that stairway of white in order to reach it, in a geographically impossible location, after, you know, getting eaten by a Primordial serpent.

But this Kiln resides somewhere that, really shouldn't exist. It's just Firelink Shrine, a nightmare amalgamation of buildings, and the kiln.

Which, I'm PRETTY SURE, isn't right

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Actually, regarding the Lifehunt Scythe miracle you can get from said person's soul:
    The description of it says "Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding."

I take this to mean that he didn't actually eat Priscilla, he just was obsessed with her and so made this spell in the image of what he had seen. It's not her actual scythe, it's a spell that does a similar effect.

Of course it could also mean that by eating Gwyndolin that he gained the knowledge of where Priscilla was and so then busted into the Painted World and ate her too. I like being more optimistic though.

I'm going to choose to believe this because
    I just met Priscilla in DS1 and it makes me happy.

Doesn't vibe with the dead painting guardian you find though, but I guess you could say they died in the line of duty?
    They were stationed outside of the painting, so that doesn't necessarily mean he got in.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Hooray, I beat it!
    That final fight was super well done. A little easier than I was expecting, but then I did a bunch of summons and he seems to really punish you if you haven't learned how to dodge properly. Also, the mercury spell is pretty great if you can get him to hang out in it for a while.

Gonna start again, but as a DEX build. Was almost entirely INT this time around and while it was fun, sorcery was kind of underwhelming for me.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Aldritch was very hard!

I beat him!

Yay!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Actually, regarding the Lifehunt Scythe miracle you can get from said person's soul:
    The description of it says "Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding."

I take this to mean that he didn't actually eat Priscilla, he just was obsessed with her and so made this spell in the image of what he had seen. It's not her actual scythe, it's a spell that does a similar effect.

Of course it could also mean that by eating Gwyndolin that he gained the knowledge of where Priscilla was and so then busted into the Painted World and ate her too. I like being more optimistic though.

Regarding this
    Well

You know and I know that he learned Priscilla's location while eating Gwyndolin and then went off and found her and that was the end of that story

DS3 is darker than the other entries

But for what it's worth that isn't the Priscilla of the Chosen Undead's reality
    I'm pretty sure the four we see have linked the first flame previously, either by choice or not.

But there's one we don't...
    Lothric, who I believe has never linked the flame, but his souls is powerful, so it probably qualifies him maybe? Not super sure...This cycle and linking of the flame is all wrong.

Oh, and also, finally I can share why I believe a certain thing.
    Basically, the Kiln of the First Flame is my evidence that Ludleth did something FUCK UP in order to restore the flame after it had gone out.

The Kiln has always been somewhere that's between space and time, again, in DS1 you had to walk through that stairway of white in order to reach it, in a geographically impossible location, after, you know, getting eaten by a Primordial serpent.

But this Kiln resides somewhere that, really shouldn't exist. It's just Firelink Shrine, a nightmare amalgamation of buildings, and the kiln.

Which, I'm PRETTY SURE, isn't right

Regarding that first
    Lothric linking the flame with his brother's help is what fused their souls together and gave Lorian his brother's infirmities

They definitely seem to have linked the fire, and they give their ashes just like any other Lord of Cinder

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Current theory on that Wyborn;
    Is that you got there right after he ate Gywndolin. There wasn't really time for him to run off and get Priscilla and come back.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I just want to say that when playing the game I have no fucking idea what is going on other than OH FUCK WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

but I really enjoy reading all your (everyone's) posts on the lore

Al_wat on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    All right Smouldering Lake done

Now to see what's across that bridg-

OH GOD NOOOO

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Man, I'm real confused about Aldrich, the only time I see him as a blob is the intro.

Also, I thought the firstborm was named Gwydion. Am I making that up?

to the second one: you are, his name is never mentioned. to the first one
    I'm pretty sure Aldrich didn't' eat Nito, but that that is his blob body full of corpses he ate with some of Gwyndolin mixed in.

That's possible, but
    Isn't that lifedrain magical scythe one of Nito's attacks? I don't remember Gwyndolin doing anything like that

Lifehunt Scythe?

No dear, that's from Priscilla

oh

my

CHRIST

Seriously, fuck Aldritch.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's not like anyone was going to meet a happy ending in soulstown

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Aldritch was very hard!

I beat him!

Yay!

Good.

Now put your summon sign in front of the door and grind that price of garbage into the dirt over and over.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DS3 is the rare game that will make me go back and beat the Hell out of certain bosses in earlier games even harder

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Really wanna know what the fuck is up with Ludleth. There's a lot of lore to be uncovered in this damn game

Also re: titanite slabs, there are at least 6 available in one playthrough of NG

• Options
    I have a +10 great club!

I can't use it on these shield knights because they have apparently infinite stamina and also recover from a hit almost instantly!

So fuck you knights, +8 Butcher Knife!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Don't rely on your weapon to break an enemy's guard.

Just kick them.

It's WAY more efficient and leave you less vulnerable.

Also you should farm the darkwraiths and get yourself a dark sword. that thing is fantastic for a strength build. Especially if you infuse it with a heavy gem.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Every time I try to kick them they just shield bash me. These ones seem way more aggressive and quick to react than the cathedral ones.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I've only been able to kick the shields of the weaker enemies with the smaller shields. Anything that has a big shield will bash me in the face with it the second I get close or try to kick. And that's even ignoring that I can only get the kick to work 50% of the time.

• Options
    Then parrying might be a better strategy.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I went out to those chumps right outside the Firelink Shrine and worked on my parry timing
    I'm really bad at it!

• Options
    Being really bad at something is the first step to being sort of good at someting!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Look, I didn't put 40 points into strength and vigor to use some dinky sword and parry things like a skinny baby man.

Giant sheild and butcher knifing butts is working fine, I just love my club.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Every time I try to kick them they just shield bash me. These ones seem way more aggressive and quick to react than the cathedral ones.

The key is to do it after they've used up a bunch of their stamina

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    KetBra wrote: »

That has never made a difference in my game. The ability to guardbreak an enemy with attacks has always been based on how pumping out enough damage to break their threshold.

Which is dumb, so you either kick and get hit in the face or just circle them until you can backstab or they attack.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm real confused about Aldrich, the only time I see him as a blob is the intro.

I'm pretty sure Aldrich didn't' eat Nito, but that that is his blob body full of corpses he ate with some of Gwyndolin mixed in.

That's possible, but
    Isn't that lifedrain magical scythe one of Nito's attacks? I don't remember Gwyndolin doing anything like that

Lifehunt Scythe?

oh

my

CHRIST

So i got to talking about this with a friend of mine and he has an... interesting thought.
    Is Aldritch the PC from DS1?

• Options
    honestly i actually find starter guys harder to parry than later guys, because their attacks aren't smooth motions

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    vsove wrote: »
    Hooray, I beat it!
    That final fight was super well done. A little easier than I was expecting, but then I did a bunch of summons and he seems to really punish you if you haven't learned how to dodge properly. Also, the mercury spell is pretty great if you can get him to hang out in it for a while.

Gonna start again, but as a DEX build. Was almost entirely INT this time around and while it was fun, sorcery was kind of underwhelming for me.

That fight is way more intense when you're alone. GIve it a try on your DEX character
    Barcardi wrote: »

That's possible, but

Lifehunt Scythe?

oh

my

CHRIST

So i got to talking about this with a friend of mine and he has an... interesting thought.

Let me tell you my thoughts

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »

That's possible, but

Lifehunt Scythe?

oh

my

CHRIST

this is absolutely a possibility and would make the most sense

but then again, timey wimey shit is going on so who is to say

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

That has never made a difference in my game. The ability to guardbreak an enemy with attacks has always been based on how pumping out enough damage to break their threshold.

Which is dumb, so you either kick and get hit in the face or just circle them until you can backstab or they attack.

No, time the kick around when they've used up the stamina so they won't shield bash interrupt you

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Do enemies even have stamina though? It feels like any time i've rolled through the last attack of a combo to get close they've just immediately bashed me in the face anyway.

• Options
    Enemies have some form of stamina but it doesn't work the same way player stamina does so you can't think of it like that.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Do enemies even have stamina though? It feels like any time i've rolled through the last attack of a combo to get close they've just immediately bashed me in the face anyway.

they do sorta kinda

it works differently than a players though

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Is a pure sorcerer build tenable, or is some amount of melee always going to be required?

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    Is a pure sorcerer build tenable, or is some amount of melee always going to be required?

tenable? yes
    anywhere close to as easy as adding in a weapon? no not even close

• Options
    It is doable but having some melee weapons for chumps is preferable

The more pure Sorc you go, the more ashen flasks you have to have, so the less wiggle room you have to fuck up and take a hit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, I am getting more and more lore now, and it is pretty interesting.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I still have yet to see any evidence that characters who had to die in DS1 to progress would be alive in 3!
    Smough and Nito are dead. The Chosen Undead destroyed and consumed them. The only character who has died and maybe returned is Ornstein, but I don't think that was him. Just an imitator.

Archdragon Peak boss spoilers
    I was sure it would be Gwyn, somehow, defying my theory! But it looks like it was his firstborn, a traitor who allied with dragons. Haven't beat him yet though.

Kind of disappointing it seems like Solaire wasn't Gwyn's fallen son after all. Originally it was supposed to be Andre, apparently, and you can see the resemblance between Nameless King and Andre, actually.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I love my big wife

hi yes what

• Options
    I still have yet to see any evidence that characters who had to die in DS1 to progress would be alive in 3!
    Smough and Nito are dead. The Chosen Undead destroyed and consumed them. The only character who has died and maybe returned is Ornstein, but I don't think that was him. Just an imitator.

I was sure it would be Gwyn, somehow, defying my theory! But it looks like it was his firstborn, a traitor who allied with dragons. Haven't beat him yet though.

Kind of disappointing it seems like Solaire wasn't Gwyn's fallen son after all. Originally it was supposed to be Andre, apparently, and you can see the resemblance between Nameless King and Andre, actually.
    Why don't you see it as tenable that this is taking place in a parallel world? DS3 already takes place in anywhere from 2-4 parallel worlds to start with. Why does the one you run around in most necessarily have to be the same one you played through in the first Dark Souls?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Why don't you see it as tenable that this is taking place in a parallel world? DS3 already takes place in anywhere from 2-4 parallel worlds to start with. Why does the one you run around in most necessarily have to be the same one you played through in the first Dark Souls?

i mean for starters your 2-4 number is unfounded speculation :P

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.