As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Constructive Feedback - East 2016

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    @sary This is a fair and valid complaint. If you EVER need help due to this, please grab any enforcer. Any. They WILL get you where you need to go.

I don't think grabbing herself is going to be of much help :lol:

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    To comment on the complaints about the bar, I believe it's more a result of people trying to bring drinks into other areas such as tabletop than anything else. I've seen many people attempt this though the years and while the decision was unfortunate, if that's the cause then it's not unreasonable.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Good:
    - I liked the distribution of space on level 0. Everything seemed to have plenty of space, and in generally with the changes to the queue area and the removal of the massive empty space with like 2 food stands, it seemed to be used much more efficiently this year.

- The issues with slow security lines Friday obviously weren't great, but the way the powers that be responded to them was stellar. Keep up the good work.

- The extra streaming content. It's super nice now that I'm home to be able to catch up panels, the Overwatch for the Watch, etc. that I missed while at PAX. It seems like there is a lot more video content out there than with previous years and I'm loving it.

- The main problems I had from last year all seemed to have been addressed very well. Coat checks seemed to be handled much better this year compared to the craziness that was last year. I'm not sure if this is more the fact that there were more coat checks out of the gate or if there was just less demand due to the weather, but there was a big improvement. Additionally, the weird bathroom thing from last year was no longer an issue.

The Bad:
    - Security theater, although I don't think PA can do much about this. I get the need for security and such and understand why the inconvenience is sometimes necessary. That said, if people are going to wait for an hour to get inside for the bag check, then ACTUALLY check people's bags. As it stands, the check is half-hearted at best. The entire weekend, I never had anyone check anything besides the main pocket of my bag, and I could have stuck just about anything I wanted anywhere else. We should either have actual checks, or just do away with it and save the time. As it stands, we currently have the worst of both worlds.

- I suppose this is personal preference, but every year I find myself kinda underwhelmed with the Dance Central stage, and I miss the Rock Band stage it replaced. Especially with a new rock band out now and another on the way, I'd love to see the Rock Band stage back again in some form outside of the Harmonix booth.

- I think this has been mentioned earlier as well, but I'd LOVE to see some sort of official backing for Johann Sebastian Joust. It's one of my favorite parts of PAX, and every year I have to go hunt it down. It'd be nice to just have a small room or area set aside for it and have it put on the map.

Tangent:
    - If anyone in here providing feedback had experience with the loud enforcer with the dragon on his shoulder around Condor (and briefly Dragonfly/Bobcat) theater, that was me, and I'd love to hear your (both positive and negative) thoughts (In a private message of course as not to derail the thread), so I can try make PAX just as little bit better for you all in the future.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Malgaras wrote: »
    - I think this has been mentioned earlier as well, but I'd LOVE to see some sort of official backing for Johann Sebastian Joust. It's one of my favorite parts of PAX, and every year I have to go hunt it down. It'd be nice to just have a small room or area set aside for it and have it put on the map.

Forgot to mention this in my post and I completely agree, an official Johann Sebastian Joust area would be fantastic. Seems like the spot it sprouted up in by Cuttlefish worked well, and while it doesn't necessarily need to be endorsed by PAX proper, having it be an officially enforced game marked on the map and open for all normal convention hours like the freeplay stages seems like it should be a consideration for future Easts. (Also, shout-out to the group that organized it on Thursday night at the Westin, that was a blast!)

Xenigma on
    Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • Dire JayDire Jay Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    @sary This is a fair and valid complaint. If you EVER need help due to this, please grab any enforcer. Any. They WILL get you where you need to go.

It's never failed me.

FWIW, to everyone unhappy with blow-up whales sporting biologically incorrect genitalia, I can only gently suggest that if you were standing there and you didn't like it, please take the next opportunity in which you feel the same way to say or do something. Waiting on building security or an Enforcer to come along with the free time and capability to notice and/or do anything about it is not a solution. Not every Enforcer (and in fact very few of them) is a trained negotiator, capable of talking Samuel L. Jackson into releasing his hostages or facilitating the removal of a sky whale with an "embarrassment of riches" attached to its waist. Society is not policed by everyone *but* you, please take some responsibility in the moment if you are going to consider a later critique of the incident.

steam_sig.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    smorggie wrote: »
    Overall I have no complaints, just a couple of suggestions.
    Check Badges I don't think anyone checked my badge all weekend. In fact one of my friends tested this theory by hiding his badge under his sweatshirt for the entire day on Saturday and no one said anything. Kind of makes me wonder why I went through the ridiculous amount of stress and effort to get a 3 day pass and paid $100 for it. I never saw anyone checking badges on the way into the expo hall. I know sometimes they have enforcers checking badges and sometimes the convention center security does it, but it seemed like no one was this year.

I can confirm that I checked at least ten badges at random, and tabletop checks them absolutely -constantly- as it was required to do a tourney or check a game. If a department was not checking badges, be specific. Just saying "someone didn't check badges" will not really help locate the issue.

Seconding this as console freeplay checks badges to check out games as well

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    Dire Jay wrote: »

It's never failed me.

FWIW, to everyone unhappy with blow-up whales sporting biologically incorrect genitalia, I can only gently suggest that if you were standing there and you didn't like it, please take the next opportunity in which you feel the same way to say or do something. Waiting on building security or an Enforcer to come along with the free time and capability to notice and/or do anything about it is not a solution. Not every Enforcer (and in fact very few of them) is a trained negotiator, capable of talking Samuel L. Jackson into releasing his hostages or facilitating the removal of a sky whale with an "embarrassment of riches" attached to its waist. Society is not policed by everyone *but* you, please take some responsibility in the moment if you are going to consider a later critique of the incident.
    Attendees should not be trying to police the convention. The right thing to do is to get an enforcer and point it out. I know that these were at one point corralled by enforcers and taken care of. If there is any specific thing causing problems, that should be brought to their attention, even if it looks as though they should already know about it. If they don't take you seriously, get their enforcer handle and report them at the info desk with the details of the situation.

zerzhul on
  • sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm sorry to hear about this. The bad thing is, it's not something I'd expect to change. This was my fourth East and since I first started going the elevators in the BCEC have always had a bit of a reputation for being unreliable.

Totally agree, but one thing that can change is the consistency in admittance policies through that entrance, and it's best for PA to get it sorted now and not when PAX falls in the middle of Snowpocalypse 2.0. Snow and ice can pose more of a hazard to me than to most others (catching myself if I slip on ice can cause more issues than if I'd fallen, for example) and as it stands, not only would I have to walk farther than someone able bodied, I'd also have to do it on the regular sidewalk instead of the mostly covered route through the bus tunnel.

At the very least, more communication on the elevator situation would be helpful. If someone makes it to the elevator and finds it out of service, I think backtracking ends up adding like... half a mile? Defaulting to going around the Westin adds minimal distance over the bus tunnels, but, like I said, will be far from ideal in winter weather conditions. And yeah, half a mile isn't much for most, but for some it can be the difference between, say, calling it a day at midnight and calling it a day at 3 in the afternoon.

Enforcers are awesome. It's mostly a matter of actually locating one that ever seems to be a problem, especially in situations like these that occur on the convention center property, but not inside the convention center itself. I'm also loud about these things, but I know for others asking for help and/or complaining is really difficult.

Damn, I was going to make a joke along those lines. Sniped. :P

TL; DR I'm in that lovely venn diagram intersection of "affected by things and thus notices them when others don't" and "able to be vocal about them". Most of the accessibility issues I've found just exist because it didn't occur to someone that things like, for example, a single step, can be a barrier to someone with impaired mobility and all it takes to get them fixed is for someone to actually point them out.

The new hotels are really nice, and I'd love for them to be able to take some pressure off of the Westin... but as it stands, with current policies they're just as far (if not farther) than the Seaport for PAX goers with mobility issues.

sary on
    Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
    I really wish those elevators would get some permanent solution. They break down every single PAX, and exude the most LOVELY smell of burning oil and rubber.

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Also I am so glad they made the two sets of escalators by the main entrance up/down for both sets. Previous years it has been one side up only and the other side down only. Please keep it this way, it's much more convenient and far less annoying. Though I don't know if this is PAX's control or BCEC, most likely BCEC.

Another observation, not a comment, is that the entrance escalators to Expo hall changed. In previous years the one on the left if you're facing south used to be the entrance but this year it was the exit. The one on the right used to be the exit but is now the entrance. Not sure how much this contributed to the expo hall flow improvements that everyone is happy about, but maybe it's a small factor.

• InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    I only have 1 real suggestion and it's regarding the raffles.

Maybe when it's time for them to do the draws, have the organizers tell people to move to the queue hall? It's largely empty the entire con and it wouldn't interrupt the flow of traffic nearly as much (if at all). Or maybe even main area just for raffles that are cycled between the different organizers.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Zombiewski wrote: »
    There were a lot of positives this year, particularly the layout of the bottom floor, but there was one glaring negative that didn't ruin the weekend for me, but cast a very dark pall on the proceedings.

Like a previous poster noted I did not care for the inflatable penis tied to the inflatable orca in the queue line. It was crass, and exactly the sort of thing PAX, and the gaming community as a whole, really needs to knock the fuck off.

And then someone drew a swastika on it.

I was beyond disappointed. One racist asshole does not speak for the whole community, but...just...fuck, man. This comes on the heels of this article occupying a large part of my mind.

And again, exclusionist shit popping up in the Smash Bros. freeplay, with some great nicknakes like, HIV+, 4Skin, and FAG.

I don't lay this at the feet of the PAX organizers--you can't police every jerk's behavior--maybe Enforcers can be more on the lookout for this stuff.
    Every year, shit like this occurs with increased frequency; last year, I heard reports of people stealing headsets from the PC Freeplay area or stealing items from the merch booths. That's kind of the problem when an event becomes even more popular. I'm not saying that everyone who has ever attended PAX is 100% honest, genuine, and respectful, but that was the feeling I got when I first showed up 5 or 6 years ago and one of the things that keeps me coming back (aside from the obvious). But then again, you could still buy badges day-of; it was just a smaller event. With tickets going lightning quick these days, with how accepted the gaming culture has become, and with how much farther reaching gaming in general seems to be (console game ads during Sunday Night Football?!), the event has grown exponentially which yields the opportunity for douchebags of extreme magnitude to start encroaching to grow bigger and bigger.

The only real thing that can be done is for people to voice their displeasure with items like this by reporting it. I don't think there really is a way around this except to hope that asshats get caught in the act and are reprimanded. I'd still say that over 95% of the people who attend are decent folks that just want to enjoy themselves at the expense of no one but their own sleep deprivation.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular

Maybe when it's time for them to do the draws, have the organizers tell people to move to the queue hall? It's largely empty the entire con and it wouldn't interrupt the flow of traffic nearly as much (if at all). Or maybe even main area just for raffles that are cycled between the different organizers.

Enforcers try to plan to keep things clear, but we can't directly tell somebody to move a raffle somewhere else. We ask if there's a clear area nearby that they'd be ok with using, but often times the crowd is what they want.

SK3ozR5.png
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    rtm416 wrote: »

Enforcers try to plan to keep things clear, but we can't directly tell somebody to move a raffle somewhere else. We ask if there's a clear area nearby that they'd be ok with using, but often times the crowd is what they want.

Oh no, I totally get it. I shook the hand of the enforcer that was at the OCZ booth on Friday with how well he managed to at least keep a single lane of traffic going but as always it can be improved on. Maybe find out which booths are planning on having raffles and place them at intersections or locations with a good amount of room.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Scalpers in MA are legally allowed to double the price. Raising the price -increases- even the scalped price. This is not a solution.

Not sure where you read this but that is not true.

You are allowed to re-sell a ticket for no more than $2 over face value and any applicable "fees" that you accrued getting the tickets.

While no one is going to get in trouble selling their ticket for face value reselling for profit (especially large profit) is still technically illegal. If you plan on making a business of it you will also need a license to resell tickets.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/law-lib/laws-by-subj/about/scalping.html

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I know khoo posted everythingn that goes into the decision of timing years ago and I totally get it. That being said please try to avoid holding PAX east during Passover.

• WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Oh, I forgot to add one pro. The fact that it was at the end of April this year instead of March! It was beautiful all weekend. Plus, considering there was a half hour wait to get IN the building on Friday, people would have been miserable if it was in March.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • nismodriftnismodrift Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The security theater was way too over the top, drug/bomb sniffing dogs, metal detectors etc...I've lived in this city for a while now and it really isn't BCEC or Pax East fault entirely as our city has pussified since the marathon bombing and allowed this total infringement on our rights in the name of security and safety to happen. Ya and the tough part is anybody that mentions stuff like I just said about the marathon bombing, they get ridiculed, as if we don't encourage freedom of speech anymore. We call ourselves Boston Strong, but I always feel like we are so weak we rely way too much on security. Just search TSA test failures, they have there own group of undercover agents test TSA to see what contraband goes through and wolla, guns, knives, bombs etc all went through. So this security theatre is nothing but a waste of time, money, and inconvenience to the 99.9% of us that are completely innocent in these instances...Anyways I will not be attending another year ever again just like I won't be attending TD garden sports games, Anime Boston Etc. This city of Boston has just caused me to further immerse myself in the few nature spots we have rather than sticking myself in buildings that just encourage endless amounts of spending $ and infringements of rights.

nismodrift on
    It is not JUST Boston that has heightened security. It is an part of life nowadays in a post 9/11 world. Events that generate large crowds have security. It always has. There is just more of it now. There is nothing wrong with trying to be safe or even making people feel safe.

While I feel they extra security creates a false sense of security I do not see any reason NOT to have it. While it may not stop any serious threats it may just stop someone from doing something stupid. Bag checks have been around for a long time so thats not new. The Bomb dogs did not cause any slowdown on entry to the venue even when they where used to sniff a bag here and there it was a quick look over. And the metal detectors did not slow much down either. I was in FULL cosplay and had MANY things on me setting off the detectors. The employees where courteous and understanding and did not cause any issues for me and I set them off every time I entered.

And I'm really not sure what rights of yours (or ours even) that they are infringing on by adding security. Maybe you can enlighten me because NO ONE is forcing you to attend any event or enter any venue that uses extra security.

But you do have the right to boycott these events and venues and no one is infringing on that :)

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    This was the third East show for my wife and I. We both felt that it was the best yet. This was the year we finally stopped trying to do every panel that looked interesting and instead we actually tried to do more stuff. We spent Friday in Expo and Tabletop and actually got to play games. We didn't get to see some of the panels we'd been hoping to, but it was a trade-off to experience more of the show floor.

The layout on the Expo floor and everything else in that space was great this year. It felt like everything moved much better and the lack of a "no man's land" between Expo and Tabletop made it more inviting to go back and check out the booths and play areas. Tabletop felt more like an actual part of the show this year, and we actually sat down and played the D&D module the Adventurer's League was running.

The food trucks were nice. It would have been better if we could have gone out to the food trucks and come back in without having to do bag checks every time. The BCEC food was... present? It was there. It was food. It staved off hunger. It was expensive for what we got, but I will say on Saturday when I had a headache that turned me into an absolute zombie it sure was convenient to not have to go anywhere or think too hard about what to eat. I don't drink, so I'm not seeing the problem with the lack of alcohol this year.

My swag bag is still at the bottom of my suitcase waiting to be unpacked. I flipped through it briefly Friday night, but nothing made me want to get out my laptop or tablet right away to register some codes or whatever. It's a lot to flip through just to register a few free downloads. I like the idea some other folks have floated about making the swag bags digital. Providing them as digital codes emailed to the ticket buyers seems like a better use of resources. At least then there wouldn't be a bunch of Enforcers tied up with setting up the swag bag area, managing the line, and policing the crowd to make sure everybody only takes one bag. I'm good with digital swag - just go all the way with it so I don't have to throw out a bunch of papers and a plastic bag afterward.

We didn't see as many panels that interested us this year, but PAX attendees are such a mixed bag that I assume everyone sees a small handful of panels that they feel are just right for them and a bunch that they aren't interested in. More panels that appeal specifically to my wife and I would probably mean fewer panels that appeal to PAXers with different tastes. I saw a variety in the different kinds of panels that I wasn't crazy about, so I actually felt like there was something for everyone with the panel selection.

I've gotten tired of the inflatables in the queue lines thing. Our first year it was kind of goofy and fun. Last year it was "oh hey, people are doing that again, okay" but this year the shine has worn off and it's just kind of annoying. I wasn't feeling it when the beach balls came out, and the whales and other inflatables were just too much. I was pretty relieved when the Enforcers put a stop to it Sunday morning. There are enough other things to do in the queue line, like when a game of Werewolf broke out next to us.

The lines for panels are the confounding part for me. If there's a panel we want to see we end up having to camp out for two hours before it starts. It feels like we could all be experiencing so much more PAX if we weren't carving out two-hour blocks to sit in taped-off boxes on the carpet before every one-hour panel. I don't know what the answer is, though. Maybe not allowing people to line up until only one hour before a panel starts? It feels like every year I'm walking by so many things that I want to see and do, but I have to keep moving so I can go twiddle my thumbs for two hours to wait for the next panel I want to see.

mkf6ad9.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Jeez, your security argument holds no validity. You're basically saying that since security people can't be 100% effective 100% of the time, then let's just end all security checks for everything. Yeh, i'm sure if you had a friend/family member affected by the Marathon bombing, or 9/11, or any of the other various gun incident that has happened over the years, they'd agree with you, yeh. OK, then, don't come to PAX. That will be one more ticket that some else may have a chance to get.

As for the inflatables in the que line, are we really living in a time where we HAVE to tell someone that tossing a swastika emblazoned penis is wrong and to stop it? This all goes back to the supposed family values that PAX wants to promote and should be instilled in all Enforcers. Also, tossing regular beach balls is one thing, getting hit by freaking huge whales and sharks is something else entirely. And who just happens to bring packing tape and duct tape (used to repeatedly patch holes in these things, presumably to destroy them) to the convention floor? Near the end, I was expecting a giant Katamari ball to be rolling across sucking up everything in its path.

edited April 2016
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    And who just happens to bring packing tape and duct tape (used to repeatedly patch holes in these things, presumably to destroy them) to the convention floor?

If you do cosplay sometimes duck tape can be a life saver :)

There was actually a guy walking around doing cosplay repair. He was like AAA for cosplayers. Just Tweet/Facebook/Instagram him and he would come to you. Duct Tape and Glue Gun in hand.

http://i.imgur.com/z3h4TtD.jpg (Not Pax East 2016 but same guy :) )

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • nismodriftnismodrift Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    My security argument holds high validity, like I said look at TSA failures, they failed 95% of the tests of contraband passing through. so with a 95% failure right in testing situations, it may even be higher in real life situations. So actually they aren't even effective 5% of the time, so why waste all this time and money into a false sense of security. The other guy is right, NO ONE is forcing me into these events, but this all a part of the scheme of conditioning. Metal detectors have already started to show up in some public schools, hospitals, and stores. The marathon race had some PUBLIC roads that were off to the side not even directly involved with the race some had security check points. NO ONE is forcing me to go through any of these areas, but still the more you allow this fake security theater to happen in more and more areas, the more prevalent it will show up in public areas, before you know it your argument will be like NO ONE is forcing you to leave the house. I just don't think I should have to give up the freedom to travel without being searched JUST to be able to attend any extracurricular activities. I always feel less safe with this security theater anyways, just because you have more police force showing up, and with police brutality nowadays, I am more likely to get killed by a police officer rather than a terrorist anyways.

nismodrift on
    Sepioth wrote: »
    And who just happens to bring packing tape and duct tape (used to repeatedly patch holes in these things, presumably to destroy them) to the convention floor?

If you do cosplay sometimes duck tape can be a life saver :)

There was actually a guy walking around doing cosplay repair. He was like AAA for cosplayers. Just Tweet/Facebook/Instagram him and he would come to you. Duct Tape and Glue Gun in hand.

http://i.imgur.com/z3h4TtD.jpg (Not Pax East 2016 but same guy :) )
    I don't cosplay, but I always enjoy seeing what people come up with. This gentleman deserves one hell of a salute. That's just plain awesome.

• hayabusahayabusa Registered User regular
    When I saw the metal detectors outside the BCEC, I knew exactly who to blame. It was the two Pokemon Championship guys who made threats online and brought guns with them to the Pokemon Championships at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston last August.

You can read more about it here.

Maybe this won't make up for it, but at least these two guys were sitting in a jail cell blocks away awaiting trial while we were having a good time.

Also, it's pretty much known that a bomb threat was called into PAX East 2014, and one of the guys who did it, Matthew Tollis, was sent to prison for a year over the threat made by him and three other guys overseas.

Other people making threats directly against PAX, and the incident involving the Pokemon event at Hynes, this gives the BCEC concern to protect and look out for PAX attendees. Who knows what kind of threats they received leading up to or during this PAX? This is pretty much our reality.

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    AHHH!! ENTITLED FREESTATERS ARE TRYING TO DERAIL THIS THREAD!!! HARD TURN RIGHT BACK ON TOPIC BEFORE THE GOVERNMENT SHUTS PAX EAST DOWN!!! GO GO GO GO!!!!

*phew* Oh my god.... We made it. Good job, everyone!

I've attended PAX East every year since its beginnings, and I've got to say this was my favorite year. There were definitely Pros and Cons, most mirroring what other people had mentioned.

PROS-

Expo Hall:
    I agree, this was by far the best utilization of floor space I've seen. Moving the food kiosks to the outer aisles and the trucks outside was a huge win in expanding the floor into a clear separation of eSports, Tabletop, and Gaming Exhibition. It didn't feel 'segregated', but there was more opportunity to enjoy certain venues without a Twitch presenter screaming "OMG!!! DID YOU SEE THAT SICK COMBO?!?!" through a loud speaker. It definitely worked, and created wider aisles for more flow. Well, as much as you can without contribution from the 'leaf peepers' (those who stop dead in the middle of the aisle to stare at a booth).

Line Organization: Enforcers more and more each year are getting brutally honest with wait times and line caps, and this year hit a nice balance. Moving various queue lines into empty rooms for panels was a HUGE boost to conserving hallway space, and honestly made the experience of meeting other people feel more personal and interactive this way. On the floor, signs advising proper flow and lineups were more prominent than in past years. All in all, I was impressed.

Indie Love: It goes without saying, but PAX has always been a leader in showing love to independent developers both on the show floor and in panels. But it seems each year that love grows and grows, and this year felt different because it wasn't just "Here are all the big titles and here are all the indies", it was "Here are all the games". There will always be an Indie Megabooth, but this year it actually felt integrated into the show more than before. Not so much an outlying feature, more just part of the routine. It also helped seeing companies like Microsoft and Sony show love to their indie game lineups as well. The finest example of this is Square-Enix showcasing I Am Setsuna front and center alongside staples like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. You can't ask for more love than that.

Food Options: Typically, I'm the cheapskate who brings his own snacks/drinks to the show. I'm not going to argue about "the injustice of a $3 soda", because we all buy $7 cups of coffee and never bat an eye. Rather, it's more so I can drink/eat what I want when I want. Not only were the food vendors seemingly everywhere around the convention, but the different types at that. And I'll be honest, heading towards a long panel wait and seeing a frozen lemonade cart set up nearby was nice when I can say "Hmm, that sounds like a good idea". And of course, as mentioned the food truck support. This should be an annual thing, no question. Although I'm fairly sure it almost has been already so far.

CONS-

Swag Bags:
    I honestly have no recollection of early PAX swag bags, other than the standard fare like MTG packs (one year gave away a physical PC game for free). But they did feel like they had some heft to them- and not because you put the programs in the bags themselves for extra padding (ADMIT IT!). But ever since the Oatmeal pack fiasco several years ago (swag bags were just left unattended on a table, and people took them by the dozens to loot them for CAH cards hidden in packs of oatmeal), you've increased Enforcer presence and staggered out their release to be a bit after the show begins. However, as many have mentioned, the content just isn't that grand and hasn't really justified its existence. Swag at booths has increased drastically in the last two years after a steep drop off in 2013/2014, so the free loot is there. But at this point, I feel the official PAX swag bag is more a punchline than a necessity. Unless you were to incorporate raffles with winning cards in select bags or increase the loot itself, I don't really see the point of continuing the trend. Sure, people will still ask where the swag bags are. In that case, direct them to booths like Geico Gaming or Logitech who were basically dumping free swag on people just because.

Loud Enforcers: This is a double-edged sword. PAX can always benefit from more vocal Enforcers, because nowadays the only way to wrangle in us unruly nerds is a firm voice of authority (or a human sacrifice, but that's on you guys). Instead, my issue comes from Enforcers who were loud for no reason whatsoever. It's one thing if you're yelling for people to keep aisles clear or not hold up traffic, but it's another to burst into a calm queue room like the Kool-Aid Man and scream "HEY!! WHO WANTS TO DANCE LIKE A MONKEY WITH ME??!!!!". And listen, I get it. You're keeping people entertained who have been sitting for a long period of time to see IGN or Markiplier. But the cool thing about the rooms I mentioned above being used as panel queue rooms is it created a more cozy atmosphere, and I watched many people talk to complete strangers or invite them to try out that new crazy card game they bought because "Hey, we're going to be sitting next to each other for 90 minutes. Might as well have fun, right?". To have that broken by that awkward break in the flow from a boombox blaring 'Pump Up the Jam' so we can break dance for pins just seems... tacky?

Demo Lengths: There really didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to length of time spent on demos. The Gears of War 4 demo had a line a mile long, while the Quantum Break demo line was maybe 4 people long. Yet, somehow, the Quantum line was slower. Because the demo was unregulated, and I was able to play for as long as I wanted on a Saturday with people behind me. I ended up stopping on my own accord just to not seem like an ass, and the attendant actually seemed surprised. I told him I did enjoy the game a lot, I just felt that 17 minutes was plenty of time to demo a game. I understand the logic of wanting a longer demo for a bigger AAA title. "You've been standing in line for 2 hours, you should get to play this for 30 minutes uninterrupted". Except it creates that 'chicken and the egg' discussion of if the line would still be 2 hours if the demo was only 15 minutes long. And of course, this all depends on the day too. I had no idea Cuphead was going to be at PAX East, and as one of my most anticipated games this year I lost my mind when I saw it. But on Friday, there was no line. It was just "Stand behind someone and play when it's free" (the Nintendo logic of demoing, which works beautifully). I gave it a good 15-20 minutes, but saw others wanted to try and happily gave up my spot (also the creators were there, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to meet them). But had I not, they were more than happy to let me stay forever if I wanted. So some regulation should be present, even if it is mostly on the developers themselves and less on PAX. Sony nailed this dead on with their PSVR demos. No lines, just make an appointment.

NOTES-

-I don't know anything about the Friday fiasco everyone was referring to, as I found it very easy to get into the building through security around 9am. Even the queue in the Expo Hall was pretty minimal. But while the security lineup was more refined on Saturday (timed 4 minutes total in queue start to finish), the Expo Hall queue line seemed out of control and sprawled all over the building. I know a lot of this was due to reduced space in the actual queue room due to expanding use of the Expo Hall, but where in the world did everyone come from?? Thankfully, I had a panel at 11 so I just wandered off. But man that looked crazy.
    -The line for the Bethesda merch booth was longer than the line for DOOM. Just feel that.
    -I don't know if it was just me, but everyone this year seemed... happier? Not saying people who attend PAX East are bitter jerks, but people seemed in better spirits than usual this year.
    -Splitting the Handheld Lounge into two areas out of the hallway appeared smaller, but it seemed more inviting and easier to actually find places to sit. So I was fine with this.
    -I love Smash Bros., but hearing a logical explanation from an Enforcer about why the Console Dedicated Freeplay has become the Super Smash Bros. Room was refreshing: so every WiiU in the Console Freeplay room wasn't tied up with Smash Bros.

Overall, I had a great time. Met amazing people, got tons of things signed, and enjoyed trying out some new titles and hardware (PSVR) coming our way. I hear next year's PAX is going back to the colder weather of March. I'll still be there.

erdub14zr3u2.png

edited May 2016
    As for the inflatables in the que line, are we really living in a time where we HAVE to tell someone that tossing a swastika emblazoned penis is wrong and to stop it?
    The point is that you shouldn't expect everyone to see the same things you do. It costs you very little to notify the appropriate people that this is occurring. I agree that it shouldn't be there. I'm letting you know that one thing you can do is to point it out to an enforcer.

zerzhul on
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I wasn't exactly a fan of the whale for tow reasons

1) The beach balls that have been tossed in the past are small and fairly light. If you got beaned in the head cause you didn't see them coming, no real warm was done. The wale was big and heavy. I got nailed in the back of the head with it, and while it wasn't exactly a super-hard hit, it still rather unpleasant and potentially unsafe.

2) Yeah, the dong duck-taped to it (which was apparently swastika-emblazoned)? In very poor taste. The folks in line and I had a good chuckle over the dong at the time, but in retrospect, that really isn't the image we wanna portray of the con, is it?

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    The beach ball thing has been so overdone. Since the beach ball thing has happened the first time, PAX has changed to almost totally different show.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    Yes .. beachballs during the pre-show queue has COMPLETELY changed the whole atmosphere of PAX .. It will never be the same show again. 8-)
    /sarcasm

I can honestly care less .. beachballs or beach toys or whatever (though the penis was a bit silly I did get a bit of a chuckle from the videos i've seen) .. I'm never there that early to be bothered by them. I usually get there early to roam the halls for a bit ... play some games in the arcade and check out some cosplay .. then walk in to the expo hall once the other entrances open.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Sepioth wrote: »
    Yes .. beachballs during the pre-show queue has COMPLETELY changed the whole atmosphere of PAX .. It will never be the same show again. 8-)
    /sarcasm

I can honestly care less .. beachballs or beach toys or whatever (though the penis was a bit silly I did get a bit of a chuckle from the videos i've seen) .. I'm never there that early to be bothered by them. I usually get there early to roam the halls for a bit ... play some games in the arcade and check out some cosplay .. then walk in to the expo hall once the other entrances open.
    Edit :Nevermind

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    Please keep this to direct feedback of the show. Random musings that are unrelated to show feedback are not within this thread's remit.

• Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    The dance stage should switch to using Just Dance series games, rather than Dance Central. The dances in Just Dance are easier to play and more fun to watch, the music is more current and had more variety, and most of them will go up to six players (for the xbox one version). Dance Central requires more practice and skill, but in this case casual is not a bad thing.

Also I agree that the layout for the main expo hall floor and for food was really good this year.

I also want to add that this is the first year that I used bag check and the process was insanely easy. Tack on that it was only $3 per item and I don't know why I spent previous years schlepping around my big ass coat because I didn't want to deal with coat check. Has it always been this easy or has the process greatly improved over the years? Whichever way, I am totally taking advantage of this next year.

I also really appreciated the staff at the bag/coat check suggesting I take a picture of my ticket so I can show it to them in case I lose my ticket. Seemed kind of obvious in hindsight, but truth be told I didn't even think of that. It was just the icing on the cake.

• BinaryPieBinaryPie Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I also want to add that this is the first year that I used bag check and the process was insanely easy. Tack on that it was only $3 per item and I don't know why I spent previous years schlepping around my big ass coat because I didn't want to deal with coat check. Has it always been this easy or has the process greatly improved over the years? Whichever way, I am totally taking advantage of this next year.

I also really appreciated the staff at the bag/coat check suggesting I take a picture of my ticket so I can show it to them in case I lose my ticket. Seemed kind of obvious in hindsight, but truth be told I didn't even think of that. It was just the icing on the cake.

It might've been better this year partially because the weather was so nice (fewer coats). I definitely used it previous years, but not this year.

• Cobalt BlueCobalt Blue Registered User regular
    Had an amazing time at PAX this year - I think the best one I've been to yet.

--- PROS ---

Expo room flow - I was not getting 'trapped' in crowds like last year. I'm sure it's quite a feat to organize, this year was a success!

Expo room games - I thought the AAAs had their best showing in a while, and the indies crushed it as always. Games I wanted to play everywhere I looked.

PAX Arena - Love this concept. It really brought a big-time feeling to the floor. There was almost always something good to watch and it's a good way to get off your feet for a little while. The Street Fighter V stage was particularly cool with a bunch of freeplay setups right behind the spectator seating.

Classic arcade - Great place to hang after expo hours, and they were even running tournaments. Please give these guys some love.

VR Freeplay - a very nice surprise that helped a lot more people experience this stuff who could've potentially been shut out from crowded booths

--- CONS ---

Expo demo lengths - Some games were still nigh untouchable due to the looooong lengths of the demos. I don't know if it's at all feasible to put a cap on this but I wouldn't mind it!

Panels - Down year for panels, not that this is PAX's fault. I hope the decline in dev panels is just an anomaly. What I really hope can be arranged is more of a selection of panels after expo hours!

PC Freeplay - should have had more games installed. :(

PPrdvOH.png
  • abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    This was my first time at PAX and to Boston. I read up on past experiences and it seems that a bunch of issues have been ironed out over the years. Overall, I had a really fun time and got to experience a lot of different things.

Pros
    - The show floor had a great mix of companies and vendors
    - The number of indie developers showing off their games was one of the highlights for me. Some of those games really peeked my interest.
    - Trying out the VR stuff for the first time was super awesome.
    - In general, the people that I interacted with were really nice and made the whole trip positive.
    - The weather was PERFECT! When I started researching PAX East I noticed many stories about how cold and snowy it was during the event. I think having the event in April really helped with this situation and most likely helped with the coat check issue in the past.

Cons
    - The inflated prices of some of the items being sold were a bit ridiculous. I would think vendors would sell much more if their products were reasonably priced. Maybe its a matter of supply and demand I didn't see.
    - I thought the inflatable stuff getting hit around was fun but I have to agree that the whale and its dong was a bit much. I didn't notice the stuff written on it and I'm thankful I didn't. I'm a father of two toddlers so I see everything through a filter. I was really considering bringing my kids to this show in the next few years but after seeing that I really don't want to.
    - The swag bag wasn't worth the time for me to wait in line. Maybe it held much more value to someone else. I felt like if you weren't big into PC gaming that bag really didn't offer all that much.
    - Some of the demo times were way too long. I didn't even bother with waiting around for Doom. I had to wait an hour to play Nintendo's Metroid Fed. Force 3DS game b/c the demo was 15 minutes long!

• SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    "abdooooo wrote: »
    - I thought the inflatable stuff getting hit around was fun but I have to agree that the whale and its dong was a bit much. I didn't notice the stuff written on it and I'm thankful I didn't. I'm a father of two toddlers so I see everything through a filter. I was really considering bringing my kids to this show in the next few years but after seeing that I really don't want to.
    Don't let this hold you back from taking the kids. Just don't wait in the expo hall line. I take my daughter every year and usually don't wait in the line. We'll wander around the convention center until the floor opens.
    If you get a 3 day pass take one day for yourself if you can and use that day for waiting for the expo floor.

Skrepo on
  • abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    Skrepo wrote: »
    "abdooooo wrote: »
    Don't let this hold you back from taking the kids. Just don't wait in the expo hall line. I take my daughter every year and usually don't wait in the line. We'll wander around the convention center until the floor opens.
    If you get a 3 day pass take one day for yourself if you can and use that day for waiting for the expo floor.

Thanks! That's a good point, I don't have to wait in that queue. In fact, there are more constructive things we could be doing.

• wreckeurwreckeur Registered User regular
    This was our fourth PAX and we (the sprog and I) had an excellent time. What follows are simply my observations and opinions. YMMV.

It's weird because I see a lot of people complaining about the lines and I will state that I did not experience any issues with the lines INSIDE the BCEC. In fact, I felt the queue lines this year were waaaay better managed than in past years. The Enforcers were on top of things and kept everything nice and orderly and communicated what they needed everyone to do in an effective and efficient manner.

As for the lines OUTSIDE, again we didn't have any issues personally, but I did observe SOME (not all) metal detector screeners screaming at people when those people were doing what they were being asked to do. And this was not screaming to be heard over the din of the crowd, this was angry screaming in people's faces for no real good reason. I don't know if this would even be possible since the metal detectors are outside the BCEC and run by a third party, but perhaps some Enforcers could be out front assisting/communicating the instructions to the attendees. It's just an idea.

We got in super early on Friday and avoided the debacle that occurred, but after hearing from friends what happened it seemed as though Saturday and Sunday went much smoother (angry screaming, not withstanding).

The food options were way better this year.

Sprog participated in the PAX Pokemon League this year so she spent a lot of time in the Diversity Lounge. The only issue there was that it planted right in the middle of the LoL areas which caused quite a bit of congestion. I get that LoL is popular but putting it where it was located created the only real area of massive congestion that I saw inside (that was not the exhibit floor).

The new location of the Handheld Lounge seemed to make a lot more sense this year.

I have nothing but praise for the Enforcers this year. They did an outstanding job and, from my point of view, went above and beyond. Big thumbs up and keep up the good work.

This discussion has been closed.