As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whitewashing, Sexism, and "PC Culture" vs Hollywood: A Zack Snyder Flim

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, breaking off from the MCU thread and elsewhere, this is a place to talk about whitewashing. And, in general minority actors, directors and more being looked over or put in a box when it comes to being portrayed and employed in Hollywood TV and films.

Some believe this is affirmative action nonsense of the highest order, while others see a disturbing trend going back over a century. Where do you stand? And try to keep it civil.

My personal opinion is thusly: it's been a long time coming to have a serious discussion on why whitewashing is so common even today. We live in a modern age where shows and movies starring minority actors do well as any others, and yet Hollywood is constantly giving roles to white actors using money as a justification. These arguments don't hold true anymore, and come across as insulting and degrading to people of color, women, and LGBT actors. We had a post in the MCU thread saying
"All roles to bi-racial multiply-disabled pansexuals

Every non bi-racial multiply-disabled pansexual cast is a crime against humanity."

Even as a mocking comment, that is fucked up and dated as an attitude. Giving these actors a voice isn't some succinct Tumblr post, about shouting down other opinions. It's about addressing a real world issue we give no thought to. People are actively annoyed when faced with discussion of this topic, and tell others to "Give it a rest". Well, we gave it a rest, for over a century. We need to be aware of the problems the film industry is facing in the immediate, and not scoff, scapegoat, and otherwise distract from the facts.

Some food for thought:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zB0lrSebyng
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss

Local H Jay on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The people who see this as "affirmative action nonsense of the highest order" are incredibly silly geese. Whitewashing is a massive problem, and crops up in ways that people might not realize (for example, the casting of Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone in Nina, which was wildly decried as trying to reshape Simone into a more "traditionally" attractive woman (read: not having as prominent black features as the actual Simone.))

Ultimately, the issue comes down to the topic gooseshit of cultural bias and bigotry.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Updated OP to reflect my views. And I agree, people seem to balk at even the mention of whitewashing and what it means. People give other users shit for saying true statements like "Women need more lead roles". People cry over and over about black storm troopers and heroes, but make excuses for Scarjo and Tilda Swinton being cast as Asian characters.

Oddly enough, we actually had a genuine flap in the other direction not too long ago - the Hamilton directors put out a casting call for black actors specifically, and got slapped down by the unions, because it was a violation of the policy to have casting calls open to all candidates. But even there, the driving force was if they let this go by, then whites only casting calls would be allowable as well.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The people who see this as "affirmative action nonsense of the highest order" are incredibly silly geese. Whitewashing is a massive problem, and crops up in ways that people might not realize (for example, the casting of Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone in Nina, which was wildly decried as trying to reshape Simone into a more "traditionally" attractive woman (read: not having as prominent black features as the actual Simone.))

Ultimately, the issue comes down to the topic gooseshit of cultural bias and bigotry.

I don't understand the outcry against casting Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone. I read a few articles that said Zoe was the wrong kind of black, which I cannot wrap my head around.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It's a problem, but given the themes of Ghost in the Shell, being critical of the appearance of the protagonist in an environment where identity and appearance can be fluid makes it a weaker example of it in my mind especially since we currently lack the full context of the performance. For now, stick to The Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt, The Lone Ranger, or older movies like The Ten Commandments and Lawrence of Arabia for solid examples.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Nova_C wrote: »

I don't understand the outcry against casting Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone. I read a few articles that said Zoe was the wrong kind of black, which I cannot wrap my head around.

It makes a lot more sense looking at a picture of the actual Nina Simone:

lead_960.jpg?1458071925

Saldana may be many things, but having those particular looks is not one of them. She's much more "traditionally" attractive, and that's problematic in this case:
    Never has “however” been used to greater effect.There was no “however” for a girl deemed “black and ugly.” There were no female analogues to Biggie. “However” was a bright line dividing the limited social rights of women from the relatively expansive social rights of men.

I played a lot of Nina Simone in college. I play a lot of Nina Simone now. But I have always known that Nina Simone means something more to the black women around me than she does to me. Furthermore, I have always known that Nina Simone means something much more to a specific kind of black woman than she ever can for me. Simone was in possession of nearly every feature that we denigrated as children. And yet somehow she willed herself into a goddess.

Simone was able to conjure glamour in spite of everything the world said about black women who looked like her. And for that she enjoyed a special place in the pantheon of resistance. That fact doesn’t just have to do with her lyrics or her musicianship, but also how she looked. Simone is something more than a female Bob Marley. It is not simply the voice: It is the world that made that voice, all the hurt and pain of denigration, forged into something otherworldly. That voice, inevitably, calls us to look at Nina Simone’s face, and for a brief moment, understand that the hate we felt, that the mockery we dispensed, was unnatural, was the fruit of conjurations and the shadow of plunder. We look at Nina Simone’s face and the lie is exposed and we are shamed. We look at Nina Simone’s face and a terrible truth comes into view—there was nothing wrong with her. But there is something deeply wrong with us.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Mainstream beauty standards emphasize features that are more common in white women than in women of color, and this is reinforced through exposure and through social status. In other words, mainstream Hollywood beauty standards are subtle examples of systemic racism. So a lot of people (rightly) feel that, in addition to all of the blatant problems with the representation of people of color in Hollywood, when Hollywood does pick black actors to be headliners, they specifically pick ones who don't look too black.

The problem here is it's hard to dive into this without deconstructing Hollywood beauty standards in general which can derail an argument from racism into sexism.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It makes a lot more sense looking at a picture of the actual Nina Simone:
    lead_960.jpg?1458071925

Saldana may be many things, but having those particular looks is not one of them. She's much more "traditionally" attractive, and that's problematic in this case:
    Never has “however” been used to greater effect.There was no “however” for a girl deemed “black and ugly.” There were no female analogues to Biggie. “However” was a bright line dividing the limited social rights of women from the relatively expansive social rights of men.

I played a lot of Nina Simone in college. I play a lot of Nina Simone now. But I have always known that Nina Simone means something more to the black women around me than she does to me. Furthermore, I have always known that Nina Simone means something much more to a specific kind of black woman than she ever can for me. Simone was in possession of nearly every feature that we denigrated as children. And yet somehow she willed herself into a goddess.

Simone was able to conjure glamour in spite of everything the world said about black women who looked like her. And for that she enjoyed a special place in the pantheon of resistance. That fact doesn’t just have to do with her lyrics or her musicianship, but also how she looked. Simone is something more than a female Bob Marley. It is not simply the voice: It is the world that made that voice, all the hurt and pain of denigration, forged into something otherworldly. That voice, inevitably, calls us to look at Nina Simone’s face, and for a brief moment, understand that the hate we felt, that the mockery we dispensed, was unnatural, was the fruit of conjurations and the shadow of plunder. We look at Nina Simone’s face and the lie is exposed and we are shamed. We look at Nina Simone’s face and a terrible truth comes into view—there was nothing wrong with her. But there is something deeply wrong with us.

So just to be clear, people are against Saldana playing Simone, purely because of her appearance?

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I think the Saldana casting hit so much of a nerve at least in part because if you listen to Simone's music it's almost all on some level at least about the pain and rejection she endured for being a black woman with ambition. I know a lot of Philly area activists who were very, very angry about the casting decision for that reason.

A lot of comparisons have been made to the way MLK has been Flanderized in the decades after his death. The Saldana Simone thing looks to a lot of folks like trying to pretty up an icon of race and gender struggle to make her less threatening to the status quo.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Morkath wrote: »
    So just to be clear, people are against Saldana playing Simone, purely because of her appearance?

I don't think so. It's tempting to distill these arguments into "so you're against artistic work X because it commits sin Y" but it's usually more accurate to say "artistic work X would be better if it didn't commit sin Y."

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, out there is against Saldana playing Simone and won't see the movie because of it, but you can find somebody, somewhere, who believes any arbitrarily extreme belief you can imagine.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

GONG-00 wrote: »
    It's a problem, but given the themes of Ghost in the Shell, being critical of the appearance of the protagonist in an environment where identity and appearance can be fluid makes it a weaker example of it in my mind especially since we currently lack the full context of the performance. For now, stick to The Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt, The Lone Ranger, or older movies like The Ten Commandments and Lawrence of Arabia for solid examples.

It's just particularly striking with Ghost in the Shell because they dyed her hair black to do it and initially did some test runs to see if they could use CGI to make her look more Asian. They failed spectacularly.

When you're casting a white actor to play a non-white part and you're looking for ways to make that actor look like some other ethnicity, that's a really big red flag that you need to stop what you're doing.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    SyFy was able to find a six foot tall Samoan actress to fill a character's role. There's no good excuse that a major studio can't find talented non white actors.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Except, and it may be a flimsy reason, the character's name is Mokoto Kusangi. That's a pretty Japanese name. Similar to Justin Chatwin being cast as a dude named Goku, it just doesn't add up.

Feral wrote: »

Mainstream beauty standards emphasize features that are more common in white women than in women of color, and this is reinforced through exposure and through social status. In other words, mainstream Hollywood beauty standards are subtle examples of systemic racism. So a lot of people (rightly) feel that, in addition to all of the blatant problems with the representation of people of color in Hollywood, when Hollywood does pick black actors to be headliners, they specifically pick ones who don't look too black.

The problem here is it's hard to dive into this without deconstructing Hollywood beauty standards in general which can derail an argument from racism into sexism.

I think this is incredibly myopic, then, and is very much akin with No True Scotsman. That Saldana doesn't exhibit the right black features means, to me, that there was literally no way to win and so the very making of this movie is a mistake to the critics of this casting. I don't think telling the money in Hollywood (Which is, unfortunately, concentrated in white hands) that making a film about a black person will get you pilloried no matter what is a good idea.

It's just particularly striking with Ghost in the Shell because they dyed her hair black to do it and initially did some test runs to see if they could use CGI to make her look more Asian. They failed spectacularly.

When you're casting a white actor to play a non-white part and you're looking for ways to make that actor look like some other ethnicity, that's a really big red flag that you need to stop what you're doing.

With that context, yeah, that's terrible, Cloud Atlas type terrible.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Yeah, I'm with you guys on the GitS casting.

Anime does a lot with drawing Japanese characters as looking, well, white, but the box art for GitS:
    18c9zwcw3sde4jpg.jpg

Motoko looks totally Japanese.

I think this is incredibly myopic, then, and is very much akin with No True Scotsman. That Saldana doesn't exhibit the right black features means, to me, that there was literally no way to win and so the very making of this movie is a mistake to the critics of this casting. I don't think telling the money in Hollywood (Which is, unfortunately, concentrated in white hands) that making a film about a black person will get you pilloried no matter what is a good idea.

If it was a generic character, sure.

But it wasn't a generic character. It was a famous black artist, whose very work delved into the issues of how her appearance read to society at large. Here's an actual quote from Simone's diary:
    ...and I’m the kind of colored girl who looks like everything white people despise or have been taught to despise—if I were a boy, it wouldn’t matter so much, but I’m a girl and in front of the public all the time wide open for them to jeer and approve of or disapprove of.

So yeah, in this case, appearance does in fact matter, because it's incredibly fundamental to the story being told.

Except, and it may be a flimsy reason, the character's name is Mokoto Kusangi. That's a pretty Japanese name. Similar to Justin Chatwin being cast as a dude named Goku, it just doesn't add up.

In the comics/anime, Mokoto Kusanagi is a full cyborg, a human brain encased in a fully artificial prosthetic body. Her appearance is fluid and subject to her whims and the needs of her profession. That was the point I attempted to make prior to the mention of the film makers using effects to alter that.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png

It's not just a Japanese name, but a culturally resonant one (the English equivalent would be "Jane Excalibur".)

The funny thing is that there would have been an easy way to cast Johansson as her in a sort of fashion - cast her as Chroma (an alternate body that has been depicted as more Caucasian in appearance.)

/shrug

I see it both ways.

There's a long, sad history of American establishment only granting representation to black people who fit very narrow standards of acceptable blackness and then saying "What? We're representing you!" There's a long, sad history of American establishment only granting rights and privileges in tiny increments at a time and then saying, "Be patient! Progress can only move so fast!" So I'm particularly sensitive to arguments that sound like "you should be appeased with what we give you."

On the other hand, there's an overall problem with beauty standards in Hollywood that affects all races. It overlaps with race, in that non-white women are disproportionately affected by it. (Yay, intersectionality!) We can't really fix this without attacking the beauty standard independent of race, which effectively reframes the conversation from race to sex, thereby committing one of the cardinal sins of non-intersectional feminism.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goku is actually more white than Motoko. In that he inhabits a world with many many racial stereotypes including Asians and seems to be white and the same race as other pretty explicitly white people.

Motoko Kusinagi, the Japanese national working for the Japanese government who has a cyborg body provided by the Japanese military which is the most popular model in Japan for Japanese women is about as far from "maybe white" as you can get

wbBv3fj.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    1. I completely agree that ScarJo is terrible casting for GitS, and the stories of the CGI-Asianification (is that a word?) are pretty disgraceful.

2. On the other hand, the GitS movie is going to suck, because Hollywood is incapable of understanding why the original was so good, so I'd much rather they stuff it full of White People. That way, when it bombs hard, they can't blame it on hiring Asians.

...I may be a tad cynical on this one.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Two words: Katniss Everdeen.

The novel repeats over and over again that Katniss is African American. It is very explicit, and in no way subtle or innocuous; Collins clearly intended her work to feature a black protagonist.

Racist dickhead in Los Angeles does the casting for the screen adaptation, will only even consider a white lead.

I feel it's worth pointing-out that the distribution of white washing in the arts isn't even across all mediums; written works, even by big publishers, feature enormous diversity & so does even the biggest of big record labels. Small independent films usually do pretty good in that arena as well.

It's fucking Hollywood & the little wannabe outlets that desperately try to imitate Hollywood, warts and all, that are the core the problem (thus major video game publishers featuring mostly white dudebro casts & incubating a whole cultural undercurrent of xenophobia). I get the impression that the discussion of whitewashing starts circling the drain rather quickly because people aren't willing to just say that Hollywood is full of racist has-beens that still run the place, and this is 90% of the problem; most of the rest of the arts are either already better or striving for improvement, and people from those places get justifiably defensive when they're lumped-in with the big H.

With Love and Courage
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Goku is actually more white than Motoko. In that he inhabits a world with many many racial stereotypes including Asians and seems to be white and the same race as other pretty explicitly white people.

Motoko Kusinagi, the Japanese national working for the Japanese government who has a cyborg body provided by the Japanese military which is the most popular model in Japan for Japanese women is about as far from "maybe white" as you can get

Technically, it's just designed to look like the most common model, to conceal that it's actually a highly specialized and tuned military special operations model.

Which makes the casting that much more infuriating.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    given the fallout to rue being black because she is, you know, black I can't imagine what would have happened if katniss was black. not that I'm supporting the suits, but hoo-boy would that have been a depressing day to be alive.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As I've previously stated elsewhere, the problem isn't justifying the character's appearance in-universe. Because yes, okay, Motoko Kusanagi can change cyborg bodies and can have her appearance vary accordingly.

From a real-world perspective, casting a white woman to portray an explicitly Japanese character working for the Japanese government is ludicrously blatant whitewashing. It's not like the producers had to keep the film in Japan and have the characters in the film retain their Japanese names! Ghost in the Shell is a property that could have easily given an adaptation that made it distinct and Western from the original source, while still respecting its origins.

Case in point: Edge of Tomorrow, which is based on a Japanese light novel. Tom Cruise's character, Cage, was originally a Japanese soldier named Keiji. While the film ends up being rather different from the original novel in how it resolves, the broad ideas presented in the original source are respected and it comes out being a film that can stand on its own.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I wasn't really seeing much of a problem in this particular case because 1) cyborg and 2) anime's tendency to draw its characters as white anyway, but the bolded does make it a little indefensible.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Two words: Katniss Everdeen.

The novel repeats over and over again that Katniss is African American. It is very explicit, and in no way subtle or innocuous; Collins clearly intended her work to feature a black protagonist.

Racist dickhead in Los Angeles does the casting for the screen adaptation, will only even consider a white lead.

I feel it's worth pointing-out that the distribution of white washing in the arts isn't even across all mediums; written works, even by big publishers, feature enormous diversity & so does even the biggest of big record labels. Small independent films usually do pretty good in that arena as well.

It's fucking Hollywood & the little wannabe outlets that desperately try to imitate Hollywood, warts and all, that are the core the problem (thus major video game publishers featuring mostly white dudebro casts & incubating a whole cultural undercurrent of xenophobia). I get the impression that the discussion of whitewashing starts circling the drain rather quickly because people aren't willing to just say that Hollywood is full of racist has-beens that still run the place, and this is 90% of the problem; most of the rest of the arts are either already better or striving for improvement, and people from those places get justifiably defensive when they're lumped-in with the big H.

Um, Susan Collins describes Katniss as having black hair, olive skin and gray eyes which is not explicitly saying Katniss is African American.

That said, the whitewashed casting call was bullshit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    So, about the stuff with the Ancient One in Doctor Strange

Yao, the Ancient One in the comics, is a racist stereotype. He is. He is an Orientalist nightmare of a character, the "wise old Tibetan master". He was created in the 60's by white men, the character played completely straight is just laughably, badly racist in today's world.

But on top of that, being Tibetan, he's politically a landmine for Marvel. You can't have a Marvel movie in 2016 with an ancient Tibetan mystic and expect China to just be okay with that. Even if it wasn't a racist as shit character (which it is), if you chose to do it, China would tell your movie to get fucked. China is not okay with movies that acknowledge Tibetans as y'know, people, but especially not ones that acknowledge Tibetan mysticism. It's not just a racial issue, it's a political issue. Marvel can't afford to have Yao be Tibetan, it would make the film banned in China. Plain and simple.

So, they decided to completely redo the Ancient One as a character who is sort of otherworldly looking, and uncouple the character from their racist origin. There are few actors who pull off "otherworldly" like Tilda Swinton, so she's an amazing choice for the role. Plus, they recast what was previously a male role into one for a woman, creating a role for a woman as a mentor for a superhero, something that doesn't come up a lot in the genre.

This is where the accusation of whitewashing comes in. Tilda is white (so very, very white), and since Yao is Asian (Tibetan, specifically), why couldn't they have given the role to an Asian actor?

But this has its own problems. As mentioned, you can't make the Ancient One a Tibetan, because China. A lot of people name-drop Asian actors and actresses, with Michelle Yeoh being a popular choice. Michelle Yeoh is Chinese. If you don't think there's a problem with replacing a Tibetan character's ethnicity with a Chinese actor because making them Chinese is politically easier, then that's fucking racist. It's basically saying "Chinese, Japanese, whatever", with an added dose of being extremely blithe to the cultural genocide going on right now against the Tibetan people by the Chinese government.

Now Hollywood does have a long history of treating "ethnic" actors as basically interchangeable (Erick Avari has made an entire career out of it!) but for fucks sake mate we shouldn't be encouraging that shit.

A writer for Doctor Strange called this situation "Marvel's Kobayashi Maru". The only choice they had was how to lose. There was no good way to write this character that wasn't racist and insensitive to somebody.

• DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I kind of hate to point this out, but I don't see how you can read Katniss as being black based on her appearance as described in the books, much less "explicitly" so.

It doesn't talk a lot about her appearance but what little it does say is "straight black hair, olive skin, and grey eyes" which is apparently common of people in her area. That doesn't sound like any "race" that exists that I'm familiar with; I figured that since the HG series is set pretty far in the future that genetic drift had occurred to the point that there were new groups of people that don't exist in our present.

Rue was a different story, and the internet reaction to her was ridiculous.

This is not to say that whitewashing is not a problem (it is), but I'm not really sure Katniss is a good example of it. I always assumed they cast Jennifer Lawrence at least partially because her character in HG was supposed to be from what is now Appalachia, and she was then most famous for playing a teenage girl from the Ozarks in Winter's Bone.

Duffel on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I wasn't really seeing much of a problem in this particular case because 1) cyborg and 2) anime's tendency to draw its characters as white anyway, but the bolded does make it a little indefensible.

I've seen this argument multiple times for different properties, and IMHO it's just terrible. Manga / anime is so stylized that it doesn't represent any ethnicity at all; it clearly is intended to evoke some ideal form of beauty (and arguably succeeds... I'm half tempted to ask @simonwolf to comment, since he's studied it professionally). Even just in terms of skin tone, properties are all over the place (and rare is the source manga that isn't greyscale or monochrome).

Regardless, manga /anime is a readily identifiable style with clear origins in Southeast Asia, often featuring protagonists / antagonists that are very explicitly Asian, even if they are visually depicted as the Platonic form of fuckability or whatever.

With Love and Courage
    Pony wrote: »
    So, about the stuff with the Ancient One in Doctor Strange

Yao, the Ancient One in the comics, is a racist stereotype. He is. He is an Orientalist nightmare of a character, the "wise old Tibetan master". He was created in the 60's by white men, the character played completely straight is just laughably, badly racist in today's world.

But on top of that, being Tibetan, he's politically a landmine for Marvel. You can't have a Marvel movie in 2016 with an ancient Tibetan mystic and expect China to just be okay with that. Even if it wasn't a racist as shit character (which it is), if you chose to do it, China would tell your movie to get fucked. China is not okay with movies that acknowledge Tibetans as y'know, people, but especially not ones that acknowledge Tibetan mysticism. It's not just a racial issue, it's a political issue. Marvel can't afford to have Yao be Tibetan, it would make the film banned in China. Plain and simple.

So, they decided to completely redo the Ancient One as a character who is sort of otherworldly looking, and uncouple the character from their racist origin. There are few actors who pull off "otherworldly" like Tilda Swinton, so she's an amazing choice for the role. Plus, they recast what was previously a male role into one for a woman, creating a role for a woman as a mentor for a superhero, something that doesn't come up a lot in the genre.

This is where the accusation of whitewashing comes in. Tilda is white (so very, very white), and since Yao is Asian (Tibetan, specifically), why couldn't they have given the role to an Asian actor?

But this has its own problems. As mentioned, you can't make the Ancient One a Tibetan, because China. A lot of people name-drop Asian actors and actresses, with Michelle Yeoh being a popular choice. Michelle Yeoh is Chinese. If you don't think there's a problem with replacing a Tibetan character's ethnicity with a Chinese actor because making them Chinese is politically easier, then that's fucking racist. It's basically saying "Chinese, Japanese, whatever", with an added dose of being extremely blithe to the cultural genocide going on right now against the Tibetan people by the Chinese government.

Now Hollywood does have a long history of treating "ethnic" actors as basically interchangeable (Erick Avari has made an entire career out of it!) but for fucks sake mate we shouldn't be encouraging that shit.

A writer for Doctor Strange called this situation "Marvel's Kobayashi Maru". The only choice they had was how to lose. There was no good way to write this character that wasn't racist and insensitive to somebody.

A better example would be the petition to make the MCU version of Danny "Iron Fist" Rand Asian-American, or their falling face first on race in Daredevil Season 2.

Arthur Chu has a pretty good writeup on it.

I've seen this argument multiple times for different properties, and IMHO it's just terrible. Manga / anime is so stylized that it doesn't represent any ethnicity at all; it clearly is intended to evoke some ideal form of beauty (and arguably succeeds... I'm half tempted to ask @simonwolf to comment, since he's studied it professionally). Even just in terms of skin tone, properties are all over the place (and rare is the source manga that isn't greyscale or monochrome).

Regardless, manga /anime is a readily identifiable style with clear origins in Southeast Asia, often featuring protagonists / antagonists that are very explicitly Asian, even if they are visually depicted as the Platonic form of fuckability or whatever.

Again, look at the box art I linked. Kusanagi does not look like a white person in that artwork. She looks like she's Japanese.

So even the argument that anime characters often look white doesn't apply.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

I like to link this post whenever this topic comes up
    If I draw a stick figure, most Americans will assume that it is a white man. Because to them that is the Default Human Being. For them to think it is a woman I have to add a dress or long hair; for Asian, I have to add slanted eyes; for black, I add kinky hair or brown skin. Etc.

The Other has to be marked. If there are no stereotyped markings of otherness, then white is assumed.

Americans apply this thinking to Japanese drawings. But to the Japanese the Default Human Being is Japanese! So they feel no need to make their characters “look Asian”. They just have to make them look like people and everyone in Japan will assume they are Japanese – no matter how improbable their physical appearance.

You see the same thing in America: After all, why do people think Marge Simpson is white? Look at her skin: it is yellow. Look at her hair: it is a blue Afro. But the Default Human Being thing is so strong that lacking other clear, stereotyped signs of being either black or Asian she defaults to white.

uc3ufTB.png

Again, look at the box art I linked. Kusanagi does not look like a white person in that artwork. She looks like she's Japanese.

So even the argument that anime characters often look white doesn't apply.

The box art you posted shows nothing to distinguish between white or Asian. Pale skin, short black hair, and sun glasses.

This is fair. Most likely the effect @miscellaneousinsanity quoted in action in my case.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I know it's sometimes hard to understand, but Motoko and Goku are supposed to be Japanese. That's just how that art style depicts asian people.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gonna quote myself since we already had the "well she doesn't look Asian in the cartoon" talk in another thread:
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Let me try to say this a little less hot-headedly:

One of the wonderful things about animation is how it frees us from the constraints of reality. As an animator, one is not limited to representing what actually exists in front of a camera. An animator can make a character's appearance far more distinctive in animation than could ever be achieved in real life, for in animation one has literal control over every single detail. In his animated world, Mickey Mouse is a mouse, and you cannot deny this, regardless of how little he conforms to reality's depiction of what a mouse is.

In other words, the contextual presentation of the character in their medium is what's important.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Ghost in the Shell is set in Japan, about Japanese cops, with a pretty heavy dose of Japanese as fuck cyberpunk politics

Like, I don't especially care how you interpret the eyeshape or skin tone of anime/manga characters, look at the setting.

Hellsing is explicitly set in Europe for the most part, with characters who are specifically identified as English, Scottish, Italian, etc.

If you did a live action version of Hellsing with a white cast, it wouldn't be that weird?

But the Japanese setting is inherently part of GitS, so deciding to go "naw the characters aren't Japanese" is weird.

Not all anime/manga is set in Japan. Lots are fantasy or sci fi set elsewhere. But GitS is pretty clear about it.

So, yeah.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016
    Changing a characters race for the sole purpose of checking a box is bad. In either direction. Ideally roles are given to whomever can best portray that part.

Manga and Anime adaptations are kind of a weird line, that is going to be subjective based on the work in question. Every character is going to look Asian, simply due to the market they are designed for. So when converting them for consumption of a different audience it's pretty important to determine if that characters nationality is actually important to this, or any story being told with them.

A:TLAB was a good example of doing this wrong, as the story plays heavily into the history and thematic's of different Asian cultures. It is a large part of the story being told. White washing is a horrible thing to do in this movie and very much ruins the experience.

Dragonball was not really a big deal, because as mentioned, Asian culture has little to actually do with this story (outside of it being based on journey to the west). Goku isn't even Asian, he is literally an alien from another planet. Casting a non-Asian actor in this case is not a big deal and actually kind of works as a concept, to show him as different from those around him.

GITS, if they wanted white actors in it, they should have stuck with Batou, I think they could have gotten away with it without too much of an issue. From the story it looks like they are going with, I remember nationality being a pretty large part of it. So whitewashing a lot of the characters in this case is pretty bad.

For properties that are actually more inclusive (than most Manga/Anime in this example), I am personally kind of against ever changing a character for any reason. Speaking as an outsider to the problem, but to me it feels disingenuous and basically saying, "We don't think a character of typeX could ever stand on their own, unless their popularity was first propped up by being known as this white/male character."

I think we should absolutely have more diversity at all levels, however I would rather see new or existing properties that stand on their own merits be proposed.

e:
    As for the ancient one / tilda scandal. I still say the best answer was to just go with a, "She has become unfocused from reality", and have her constantly changing gender/race in every scene. She has become everone and everything, due to her constant exposure to the supernatural.

Morkath on
This discussion has been closed.