As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Superhero] Thread Will Be With You Until The End Of The Line

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Should there be a Civil War thread for people that have seen it

I mean, we DID have to split Daredevil off into its own thing

How large is the percentage of non american forumers that will be able to see this before the rest? Big enough to keep a different thread going?

That plus people who don't care about spoilers will wanna chat about it

Tube's rule is if it can support multiple pages of discussion on its own, give it a thread

I'm gonna go ahead and say Civil War passes that test

Look at how many pages of discussions we're generating just from discussing trailers and/or early-impression spoilers. Plus that lets this thread continue to function as a place to discuss comics releases, DMAC art, and, I dunno, probably some sort of fight about food preferences?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm seeing it on the 7th.

Which I just realized is way closer than I thought it was.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm seeing it on the 7th.

Which I just realized is way closer than I thought it was.

Yeah, it was "forever away" for a really long time and I'm just now realizing it's out next week

6F32U1X.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So nothing that I can read on Marvel Unlimited? I couldn't find the Planet Hulk stuff a friend told me about, I guess it's too new?

@Pinfeldorf

Here ya go:

* Planet Hulk
    * Old Man Logan
    * Old Man Logan (Secret Wars)

God, Zack Snyder hating Captain America makes too much sense

And he's the guy in charge of DC's Captain America

6F32U1X.png
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    So an old interview with Zack Snyder is going around from Watchmen press, basically confirming that he should not be in charge of a superhero franchise. http://www.ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder
    I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.”
    Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie.
    The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too!

He really is just the skeeviest dude possible. I can see why he and Goyer seem to get along so well. Birds of a feather and all that.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Groot looks like he is wearing hilarious old professor glasses

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    So an old interview with Zack Snyder is going around from Watchmen press, basically confirming that he should not be in charge of a superhero franchise. http://www.ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder
    I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.”
    Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie.
    The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too!

He really is just the skeeviest dude possible. I can see why he and Goyer seem to get along so well. Birds of a feather and all that.

He really has never grown out of the mentality of a teen from the 90's he only thinks its cool if it is overly violent and overtly sexual. I guarantee every one of his dreams is leather and spikes and Stiletto heels. The legacy of Frank Miller and Rob Liefeld in neat and tidy package.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Should there be a Civil War thread for people that have seen it

I mean, we DID have to split Daredevil off into its own thing

How large is the percentage of non american forumers that will be able to see this before the rest? Big enough to keep a different thread going?

Tube's rule is if it can support multiple pages of discussion on its own, give it a thread

Off to make the thread about what color of green Gamora is!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Why are all these foreigners getting to see Captain AMERICA before me

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Why are all these foreigners getting to see Captain AMERICA before me

Thanks Obama
    ( That 's fun to do as a Canadian)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Who really won the war

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Who really won the war

How would I know I cant see the movie for another week!

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    More from WHIH News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4iFusVgqBM

Also got my tickets for Friday wooo!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It might be nice to split Civil War discussion specifically off into it's own thread simply so people who watch it later can then go back and click all the spoilers. Far too often I end up going "OK, now I can go back to... sixty pages ago spread across two threads... never mind".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Oh man I love the "All-Gluten diet fad"

I'd like it if the world of the MCU was presented as kind of off-kilter and goofy like that more often

David_T wrote: »
    It might be nice to split Civil War discussion specifically off into it's own thread simply so people who watch it later can then go back and click all the spoilers. Far too often I end up going "OK, now I can go back to... sixty pages ago spread across two threads... never mind".

As somebody who is waiting for a couple weeks to see it with family I endorse this sentiment.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was a really nice thing to be able to do with Daredevil

So who's seeing the movie first? The burden falls upon you to create the spoiler thread

I've actually kinda wondered why most superhero movies don't get their own individual threads

I mean, all I really do in these threads is sift through the comic book posts to get to the comic book movie posts, and I'm sure big superhero films could each support their own thread

I think it's great for the initial burst of everyone talking about it when it comes out, and then after about a month it folds back into the catch-all thread

6F32U1X.png
    Ehhh, it's kind of a weird thing

For a long time we were discouraged from having an ongoing comics thread

But whenever a superhero movie was coming out soon, a thread would get made for that, in which people would invariably talk about comics a bunch

And back then we'd occasionally have dueling superhero threads, as a result of that setup (I distinctly remember making the DKR thread because I was sick of people talking about it in the ASM thread)

But I think as superhero media became more of a constant thing, with the TV shows and the half dozen movies a year and so on, it just evolved into this setup

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    We've definitely tried consistent split threads before and they fragmented the conversation really weirdly. I like having the general movie talk mixed in with comics talk, but whenever a new Marvel movie comes out the discussion is dominated for a week or more, so a split is more warranted then.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ehhh, it's kind of a weird thing

For a long time we were discouraged from having an ongoing comics thread

But whenever a superhero movie was coming out soon, a thread would get made for that, in which people would invariably talk about comics a bunch

And back then we'd occasionally have dueling superhero threads, as a result of that setup (I distinctly remember making the DKR thread because I was sick of people talking about it in the ASM thread)

But I think as superhero media became more of a constant thing, with the TV shows and the half dozen movies a year and so on, it just evolved into this setup

If I remember the last couple of Ask Tube threads correctly, he's sort of said that the "right answer" there sort of fluctuates because there are issues with both a bunch of individual threads and megathreads, so when one starts to get out of control, they start encouraging the other. Or something like that, but the takeaway was there isn't one "right way" to do it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think the helmet is fine because it's preferable to looking at the Maker's whole head situation under there

His head was back to normal last I saw him take it off.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    did tony stark not pay for Damage Control

PNk1Ml4.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    I think the helmet is fine because it's preferable to looking at the Maker's whole head situation under there

He looks like a distant relative to the cone heads in New Avengers.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Civil War has had its US opening weekend projections raised from 175 million to 190 million.

Honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see it crack 200 million.

CYpGAPn.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

IIRC that's because he uses his stretching powers to increase his brain size, that isn't his 'normal' look.

MOSAIC_2.jpg?1461698651
    Apparently these teasers are by Stuart Immonen who gets to flex his Superman: Secret Identity muscles for the first time in a while

CYpGAPn.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016

He's still wearing the helmet, but his head was back to normal near the end of secret wars. Unlimited only has the first two issues of new avengers released so far (and he has been wearing the helmet the whole time), so maybe it happens later.

e:
    I do like how they have actually differentiated Maker's power, rather than him literally just being an evil reed.

Morkath on
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    MOSAIC_2.jpg?1461698651
    Apparently these teasers are by Stuart Immonen who gets to flex his Superman: Secret Identity muscles for the first time in a while

An image created from assembling many smaller pieces of colored material such as stones, gems, or glass?

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    New Avengers #7 shows the Maker without his helmet. He's still got a conehead.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it goes back and forth based on how much brain mass he needs.

Quire.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a really nice thing to be able to do with Daredevil

So who's seeing the movie first? The burden falls upon you to create the spoiler thread

1 hour 43 minutes, but I'm kinda busy

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    MOSAIC_2.jpg?1461698651

I'm guessing its a new imprint.

He's still wearing the helmet, but his head was back to normal near the end of secret wars. Unlimited only has the first two issues of new avengers released so far (and he has been wearing the helmet the whole time), so maybe it happens later.

e:
    I do like how they have actually differentiated Maker's power, rather than him literally just being an evil reed.

Reed has stretching powers so he can squish his head back to human sized if need be,

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    All-new Captain America was good stuff!

edited April 2016
    Sadly the follow up, the Hail Hydra miniseries from Secret Wars, is pretty bad and also the most laughably DARK AND DEPRESSING Remender thing to the point that it feels like a parody.
    Ian survived the destruction of the Infinite Elevator which allowed him to survive the collapse of reality and make it out onto Battleworld, where he found himself in a region where Hydra has controlled the USA for centuries and Steve and Sharon run a ragtag, tiny, resistance against Strucker and Zola. They all get killed because Ian led Hydra to their base, with Steve and Sharon's daughter being the only survivor.

It ends with Steve and Sharon's daughter, who is quickly bleeding out and dying, and Ian trying to escape the pursuing Hydra forces by fleeing to the Infinite Elevator but Strucker is, seemingly, able to destroy it before the doors shut, killing them both.

The final scene is Hydra sifting through the rubble trying to find the bodies and it ends on a black panel that just says FUTILITY in big white letters.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    is Rick Remender okay

6F32U1X.png
    is Rick Remender okay
    Are any of us

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.