As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Superhero] Thread Will Be With You Until The End Of The Line

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honestly I found most of the secret wars offstories pretty bad. Most of them started off interesting, then kind of meandered, then had a deus ex machina occur in the last couple pages that solved all the problems.
    The maestro has found the location of the destroyer armor that will let him destroy Doom and take over battleworld! Oh wait, it was actually a trap and he is now stuck in an illusion forever. The end!

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    is Rick Remender okay
    Are any of us

I mean, I'm not working for Marvel but I'm also not consistently making things about how we're all shitty and doomed

6F32U1X.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Well, we’re all lonely.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Honestly I found most of the secret wars offstories pretty bad. Most of them started off interesting, then kind of meandered, then had a deus ex machina occur in the last couple pages that solved all the problems.
    The maestro has found the location of the destroyer armor that will let him destroy Doom and take over battleworld! Oh wait, it was actually a trap and he is now stuck in an illusion forever. The end!

I think Thors did a decent job of reliably building up the mystery from issue to issue. 1872 didn't entirely stick the landing, but I wouldn't say it meandered.

I didn't read any of the others, so maybe those two are just exceptions.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    MOSAIC_2.jpg?1461698651
    Apparently these teasers are by Stuart Immonen who gets to flex his Superman: Secret Identity muscles for the first time in a while

Oh I got this one

It's a hop, makes beers taste pretty dank and pot-like.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    WACKY RACELAND – Take The Ant Hill Mob, Penelope Pitstop and Dick Dastardly, mix in a healthy dose of “Mad Max” and you get this dark and gritty take on Hanna-Barbera’s “Wacky Races,” courtesy of writer Ken Pontac (REBOOT, HAPPY TREE FRIENDS) and artist Leonardo Manco (HELLBLAZER), with vehicle designs by Mark Sexton (MAD MAX: FURY ROAD). A time of hope and innocence with Utopia at the finish line has given way to planetary Armageddon and a desert wasteland full of radioactive lakes, nanotech dust storms, and cannibalistic mutants. Against this backdrop, the Wacky Racers and their sentient vehicles continue their contest, but now the competition is for survival, and there can only be one winner when the checkered flag falls. Issue #1 will be available in stores on June 8, 2016.

Dear God that description

CYpGAPn.png
    Alternately it's the precursor to Netscape Navigator.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I think Thors did a decent job of reliably building up the mystery from issue to issue. 1872 didn't entirely stick the landing, but I wouldn't say it meandered.

Thors and Witch Hunter: Angela were both great, reading Secret Wars: Civil War and Weirdworld on Unlimited was also fun. Where Monsters Dwell was the worst.

I don't think their experiment worked as well as it could have, but it was a fun breather.

Rainfall on
    Everyone forgets Master of Kung-Fu!

It was one of the best and told a perfectly satisfying, self contained thing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    G is for Groot - pen and marker

gs7fcdyu5p6k.jpg

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Whats going on with the book that spun out of 1872 anyways

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Whats going on with the book that spun out of 1872 anyways
    It exists and I have heard literally nothing about it from anyone or any site after the first issue, which was month's ago, so I imagine it is not particularly great

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders, Infinity Gauntlet, and Siege were all really good too

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Sadly the follow up, the Hail Hydra miniseries from Secret Wars, is pretty bad and also the most laughably DARK AND DEPRESSING Remender thing to the point that it feels like a parody.
    Ian survived the destruction of the Infinite Elevator which allowed him to survive the collapse of reality and make it out onto Battleworld, where he found himself in a region where Hydra has controlled the USA for centuries and Steve and Sharon run a ragtag, tiny, resistance against Strucker and Zola. They all get killed because Ian led Hydra to their base, with Steve and Sharon's daughter being the only survivor.

It ends with Steve and Sharon's daughter, who is quickly bleeding out and dying, and Ian trying to escape the pursuing Hydra forces by fleeing to the Infinite Elevator but Strucker is, seemingly, able to destroy it before the doors shut, killing them both.

The final scene is Hydra sifting through the rubble trying to find the bodies and it ends on a black panel that just says FUTILITY in big white letters.

....eat at Arby's?

I was disappointed in Infinity Gauntlet, personally.

It had great art but I found the story really meandering and it never really clicked.

CYpGAPn.png
    Rainfall wrote: »

Thors and Witch Hunter: Angela were both great, reading Secret Wars: Civil War and Weirdworld on Unlimited was also fun. Where Monsters Dwell was the worst.

I don't think their experiment worked as well as it could have, but it was a fun breather.

Where Mosnters Dwell was complete shit.
    Pun intended.

I think the main problem was they cast their net too wide. There were what, like ~50 different stories running? I am actually having a hard time remembering which ones were good, past the 1872/1602 ones.

So most of them were, "Look familiar characters! But they are actually different in this wacky way! Conflict! Sudden Resolution!" "Oops, out of issues".

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    What I saw of that book is that it brings the dude to modern times

And he was hanging out with cops

Which removes almost everything interesting about 1872 in the first place

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Sadly the follow up, the Hail Hydra miniseries from Secret Wars, is pretty bad and also the most laughably DARK AND DEPRESSING Remender thing to the point that it feels like a parody.
    Ian survived the destruction of the Infinite Elevator which allowed him to survive the collapse of reality and make it out onto Battleworld, where he found himself in a region where Hydra has controlled the USA for centuries and Steve and Sharon run a ragtag, tiny, resistance against Strucker and Zola. They all get killed because Ian led Hydra to their base, with Steve and Sharon's daughter being the only survivor.

It ends with Steve and Sharon's daughter, who is quickly bleeding out and dying, and Ian trying to escape the pursuing Hydra forces by fleeing to the Infinite Elevator but Strucker is, seemingly, able to destroy it before the doors shut, killing them both.

The final scene is Hydra sifting through the rubble trying to find the bodies and it ends on a black panel that just says FUTILITY in big white letters.

Jesus fucking Christ

Yeah, the fun of 1872 was 1) the Old West aesthetic and 2) adapting a bunch of familiar characters into said aesthetic and 3) Kingpin who is apparently the exact same no matter what era he lives in.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

It had great art but I found the story really meandering and it never really clicked.

Oh, yeah. I really enjoyed the characters and stuff but the resolution was baaad.
    Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders, Infinity Gauntlet, and Siege were all really good too

Siege was really close to the main arc. Or it felt like it, at least. Captain Britain was really good.

What the Battleworlds stuff did for me was really ground God-Doom as a scary all powerful fucker, which had value during the resolution but loses a lot of weight now the event is over.

Yeah I read 1872, it was neat. I should have bought it, I guess. What were the 1602 ones? Are there trades if Angela?

What's the first trade of Jason Aaron's Thor?

edited April 2016

Oh, yeah. I really enjoyed the characters and stuff but the resolution was baaad.

Siege was really close to the main arc. Or it felt like it, at least. Captain Britain was really good.

What the Battleworlds stuff did for me was really ground God-Doom as a scary all powerful fucker, which had value during the resolution but loses a lot of weight now the event is over.

I got kind of the opposite. For him supposedly being an all powerful doomgod, he was running the place for shit.

I mean say what you will about Latveria, the place ran like fucking clockwork, and outside of his tyrannies, the people lived pretty well. They didn't have to worry about zombies fucking climbing over a wall to eat their brains.

Morkath on
    Yeah I read 1872, it was neat. I should have bought it, I guess. What were the 1602 ones? Are there trades if Angela?

Thor: God of Thunder, The God Butcher.

The 1602 SW series was just Angela: Witch Hunter

I would Also highly recommend 1602 itself if you haven't read it

CYpGAPn.png

Aaron's Thor starts with God Butcher, but grab Godbomb at the same time, it's very closely tied together.

Angela: Asgards Assassin is a must-read before 1602: Witch Hunter Angela. Both are superb.

I got kind of the opposite. For him supposedly being an all powerful doomgod, he was running the place for shit.

I mean say what you will about Latveria, the place ran like fucking clockwork, and outside of his tyrannies, the people lived pretty well. They didn't have to worry about zombies fucking climbing over a wall to eat their brains.

See, I like that it showed that, for all of Doom's power, his vision and efficacy has limits. Battleworld was doomed (heh) from the start because not even Doom Himself could keep that shit under control.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    More from WHIH News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4iFusVgqBM

Also got my tickets for Friday wooo!

Fun with text scrolls
    -PRODUCTION BEGINS ON NEW TV MOVIE "MAN OR MANDARIN: THE TREVOR SLATTERY STORY"
    -RARE ALBINO PANDA, LING-LING, BORN AT NATIONAL ZOO
    -EXPECTED START DATE FOR PYM TECHNOLOGIES TO RESUME STOCK TRADING PUSHED BACK IN WAKE OF LAYOFF RUMORS.
    -FDA CAUTIONS AGAINST NEW "ALL-GLUTEN" DIET FAD.

@DouglasDanger if you don't mind digital you can snag all of this on Unlimited right now as well.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The final lesson of Secret Wars was
    That Doom, with his collassal Ego and selfishness, could never have properly "fixed" the universe like Reed wound up doing. All he could do was create an awful, choatic world that was too miserable to rebel most of the time, and that he could reset when a particular area got out of control. Doom created a pile of trash and went "Well, I'm god emperor at least, that's good enough."

See, I like that it showed that, for all of Doom's power, his vision and efficacy has limits. Battleworld was doomed (heh) from the start because not even Doom Himself could keep that shit under control.

I could see that, if it seemed like he was trying to run it like he did Latveria, but it wasn't working. Instead he just seemingly put random people in charge of each province, and let them do whatever they wanted. Which is so very not Doom.

Doom does not let the people who worship him, be tyrannized (by others). I probably would have been ok with it, had the Thors actually been telling Baron's to get their shit together.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    @DMAC I love waiting to see what the backgrounds will be. They've all been great.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    For some reason I had assumed Doom left the Zombies/Badlands so that there was always a credible threat around to keep people in check, and a place to send powered troublemakers to die when they defied his law.

I dunno why I thought that though, hmm.

edited April 2016
    For some reason I had assumed Doom left the Zombies/Badlands so that there was always a credible threat around to keep people in check, and a place to send powered troublemakers to die when they defied his law.

I dunno why I thought that though, hmm.

I can see that perspective, but why? He is already an all powerful god, he can just instantly destroy any threats.

It would be like creating a wall holding back a pool of insecticide to discourage ants from showing up. Rather than just destroying the ant hill.

Morkath on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yes, I will buy that Groot art

I've been dying for some good art of the current Guardians, I've had my eye out for two whole C2E2s now and found nothing

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    Oh, oh, oh MODOK Assassin was a grand adventure.

Inferno was really good as well, no one seems to mention that one.

CYpGAPn.png

DouglasDanger if you don't mind digital you can snag all of this on Unlimited right now as well.

How does unlimited work?

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Was the SW Journal/Battleworld collection good overall? It's a bit steep at 35 retail.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Inferno was really good as well, no one seems to mention that one.

I didn't bother reading anything that starred an X-Men until they hit Unlimited, I didn't care for Inferno much.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Ghost Racers, on the other hand

was terrible

edited April 2016

DouglasDanger if you don't mind digital you can snag all of this on Unlimited right now as well.

How does unlimited work?

It's basically Marvel Netflix, you get all single issue releases six months behind, and they're constantly backfilling their classics catalogue. 10 bucks a month or so, it is a wonderful thing for me. They're just wrapping up the Secret Wars stuff now.

They're also putting their new Star Wars stuff up.

Rainfall on
This discussion has been closed.