As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] It's not the end of TNA, but you can see it from here...

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Hooray I didn't do completely terribly with my first ever predictions. I feel less certain about my picks for tomorrow but we'll see.

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXHL5xx8um4

Zubaz might be the face of VGCW, but Dracula is the face that will fuck you up!

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Holy shit that's the highest I've ever placed

Suck it, ...*scans to bottom of list* nirya? Is this right? Can we check this?

I'm having my brother who doesn't watch wrestling pick the answers this season. Seems he's off to a great start.

Although this week might be puppy picks.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Apparently Cody Rhodes is asking to be released.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

If true (never trust a dirtsheet) it'd be unsurprising, they've done nothing with him for months.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    Pony wrote: »

If true (never trust a dirtsheet) it'd be unsurprising, they've done nothing with him for months.

He's saying it on his personal Twitter account, and it doesn't seem like a hack.

A shame if he does leave, I'd have liked to see them try him in a WWE WHT contender slot.

He had a pretty good career all things considered.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Well damn you had a hell of a run Cody.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Makes sense after he posted this yesterday

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I wonder if Barrett had any influence on this

they are close friends I think

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm always curious how they manage relationships in this scenario, since assumedly his wife will stay with WWE. I don't quite understand how their downtime per week works out with the recordings and live events.

I don't blame Stardust, they never gave anything he did a chance, give him a stable with the Ascension, use them as jobbers, put him in IC matches, don't let him win. He will probably gain more fame on the international circuit, but its a shame that Dusty's son has to leave WWE to get attention.

I'm glad WWE let him be a comic book villain at the end, fuck the WON readers who voted it worst gimmick last year. I'm not saying it was great or anything and it did get too cute for its own good at times but it didn't deserve that.

I'm always curious how they manage relationships in this scenario, since assumedly his wife will stay with WWE. I don't quite understand how their downtime per week works out with the recordings and live events.

I don't blame Stardust, they never gave anything he did a chance, give him a stable with the Ascension, use them as jobbers, put him in IC matches, don't let him win. He will probably gain more fame on the international circuit, but its a shame that Dusty's son has to leave WWE to get attention.

They gave Cody plenty of good opportunities. The issue was they didn't last.

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I'm really sad we won't get a proper blow off to the dust brothers feud.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular

I think your definition of "plenty" is different to pretty much every other human being.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    edited May 2016
    Extreme Rules prediction

Ganderson beat the Usos
    Corbin beats Ziggler
    Ambrose beats Jericho
    Rusev crush Kalisto
    Cesaro is your IC champ
    New Day retain the tag title
    Natalya is your Women's champ
    AJ Styles befomes WHC thanks to interference but suddenly The Shield theme hits and Rollins and Ambrose walk out BECAUSE THE SHIELD IS BACK, MAGGLE

Xehalus on
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »

I think your definition of "plenty" is different to pretty much every other human being.

"Plenty" is overstating it but he got more opportunities than a lot of other talents.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Cody's just a guy who needs a few years away to build himself back up on the indies/in Japan. I'm pretty sure he'll be back eventually.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Cody's just a guy who needs a few years away to build himself back up on the indies/in Japan. I'm pretty sure he'll be back eventually.

He should go to New Japan and team with Cody Hall. Just because it'd be awesome to have two second generation wrestlers named Cody on the same team.

xderwsaxganu.png

"Plenty" is overstating it but he got more opportunities than a lot of other talents.

Were any of them good opportunities though? Like there's no denying Cody has made the best of everything they've given him since Legacy ended, but I would hardly call anything they've done with him on the main roster a good opportunity for him to move up the card.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Prediction question:

Who the heck are The Vaudevillians?

Of course a team that doesn't exist, let alone have a match at Extreme Rules, isn't going to win!

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Were any of them good opportunities though?

Yeah. He had a WrestleMania program with Rey Mysterio that included beating him at WrestleMania, he has the ninth longest IC title reign in WWE history (and the title still holds the white design he championed), he had the most eliminations at the 2012 Royal Rumble, was in the following Elimination Chamber match for the championship and generally seemed right on the cusp of the World title picture. Though that was his high point in the company so far, then he got stuck in the IC shuffle before going to the Rhodes Scholars and then Stardust. So not a lot lately and it's not surprising that he'd want to do something else, but for a while he was right there.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle/eddie-van-glam/208032947

The local news did a video on the local wrestling group I've been a part of for years. It's at the same location that Geek trains at now, but not the same company. They're a ridiculous group of guys that put on a great show every two weeks(or so). I'm fairly certain we'll be having a show during PAX weekend, so if any of you are in town you should come check it out. Hell, the next show is next Fri, 830pm at Evolv Fitness in Seattle. Just make sure to show up early(like, 8pm at least), as space is pretty limited.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Was he injured at a recent show or just slowly over the past several years?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    He's just worn down, but I think he was definitely known to be working injured for the past little while

Tana has been working hurt for a pretty long time now, this rest has been coming.
    It's worth noting that he did a stretcher job for Omega, which is pretty big wrt Omega's heavyweight push.

In other news Joey Ryan is the 1,073rd DDT Iron Man Heavy Metal champion. Clearly his reign will be long and illustrious as befits the heritage of such a prestigious title. That or he's already dropped the belt to a leaf that fell on him while he was lying in a park and a ref happened to be passing to count the pin.

edited May 2016
    I like how normally that would sound like sarcasm and hyperbole but in DDT there literally has been 1,073 Iron Man Heavy Metal champions and Joey Ryan literally could be beaten by a leaf. One time that title was won by a table, which was pinned by a bowl which then lost the title to the rice in the bowl which lost to curry being poured onto and pinning the rice and finally it was topped with a pork cutlet. Yuusuke Inokuma then ate the previous three champions.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    Talked to Moose tonight at an indy show, he didn't confirm where he was going after his ROH deal is done next month but he did say, spoilers just in case

his last ROH match will be at the BitW PPV late June and he heavily hinted at signing with WWE.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    So a buddy of mine doesn't watch wrestling at all and never has but me and the rest of his social circle are into it so he's trying.

And he's asking me stuff and one of the things that came up was the concept of a finisher.

I didn't do a fantastic job of explaining it because the truth is... I think finishers are stupid?

Like, as a concept.

I think it's cool that wrestlers have signature moves and big spots they pull of that are kinda unique to them. And when these moves are presented as particularly devastating, it follows that they win matches with them.

But like, from a match pacing perspective I've always felt it actually hurts the show. It means that no matter how awesome a move is, if it's not their designated finisher (or one of their finishers, some wrestlers have a couple) that pin is always going to be a 2 count, that submission hold is always going to be broken out of.

John Cena doesn't win with the STF. Sami Zayn doesn't win with the Blue Thunder Bomb. Randy Orton never wins with that "vintage Orton" rope DDT thing. Even though the crowd pops for these moves, they don't win matches.

No, matches only end in one of these ways:
    1. The winner hits (one of) their finishers
    2. A roll-up/schoolboy/small package, either clean and presented as shocking or as a part of...
    3. Some shenanigans, like interference, low blows, chairshots, etc.
    4. DQ
    5. Countout, which almost never happens in modern wrestling.

It's not just that Sami Zayn doesn't win with the Blue Thunder Bomb, it's that the only "out of nowhere" pinfall victory that wrestling puts out is the roll-up. Sami Zayn will never win just like, a wicked DDT that he does, even though it makes perfect sense he should sometimes.

I'm not saying guys should just win in 45 seconds with a random brainbuster or powerslam. Of course that's going to be a 2 count, match pacing is a real thing.

But when the match builds towards its natural climax, if it is going to be a clean finish then it has to be someone hitting their finisher. After a 25 minute burner Finn Balor isn't going to win with a Pele Kick, even though he goes for the pin on it every time. Nope, it's going to be a Coup de Grace or not at all.

It makes other near-falls pointless, and it also means the only way to get the crowd to really get into a near-falls and really give a shit is have someone kick out/break free/rope break a finisher, which for some actually kinda diminishes the move and how seriously they take it.

Which brings me to the other problem of the fact that a lot of finishers are fucking stupid and awful. Some of them are poorly designed in that they should, by Wrestling Logic, hurt the person doing the move as much if not more than the person receiving it (Baron Corbin's End of Days, where he basically Rock Bottoms himself). Some are good moves, but the guy doing them makes the move look kinda tame and not really as devastating as it is made out to be just because it's their finisher (Dean Ambrose's Dirty Deeds, which like all of Dean's offence looks gentle and hesitant). Some are just regular-ass moves for everyone else, but because this guy is doing it, now it is S scaling and fucks dudes up (basically anyone who uses an unmodified DDT or superkick as their finisher, especially if they give it a name). The worst are finishers that are so elementary in nature that there's no good reason it should be treated like a finisher at all (Wade Barrett's Bullhammer, which is just him punching a dude in the head).

The whole thing is this dumb wrestling thing that some fans expect and as a result promoters cater to and reinforce.

I wish it'd change but I know it won't.

edited May 2016

I still think Athena's stunner is the coolest fucking thing.

Edit - For better angle.

nicopernicus on
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I could go for some cajun pasta

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    In other news Joey Ryan is the 1,073rd DDT Iron Man Heavy Metal champion. Clearly his reign will be long and illustrious as befits the heritage of such a prestigious title. That or he's already dropped the belt to a leaf that fell on him while he was lying in a park and a ref happened to be passing to count the pin.

I'm picturing some sort of gimmick where he holds the belt for an unusually long amount of time without any random title changes. Because he's always on top.

Either that or they break for a weekend or something and when they come back they're on reign 1,273. And he has to explain why the ref was there the entire time.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • existexist Registered User regular
    I am THIRD God DAMN!!

UmPiq.png
    Hmm... I think my favorite part of NJPW is still the ring announcer. Also Kushida/O'Reilly was fantastic.

• existexist Registered User regular
    If the news about Cody is true, it's pretty sad. He's a Rhodes, dammit.

UmPiq.png
    Hmm... I think my favorite part of NJPW is still the ring announcer. Also Kushida/O'Reilly was fantastic.

J-rock ring announcer is the best ring announcer.

Mwx884o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.