As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] The season has begun. 2 more weeks before your team's season is over.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I look at that map and see highways all over the place

Look I'm not saying it's a great plan, but I think the idea would be you build the thing to draw the people in and then you build stuff around it because the people are coming in so you want to siphon off as much of their cash as you can.

And if you're in a massive sprawl like Dallas you kind of have to build where you can find vacant or blighted land for a semi-reasonable price.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Holy fuck, the NFL just had the mother of all HIPAA breaches:
    Last month the league alerted the players’ union to the theft. Deadspin has obtained an email sent on May 27th by NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith to each team’s player representatives:
    Men,

It has come to our attention that the backpack belonging to a Washington Redskins’ athletic trainer, was stolen from a car following a break-in. We have been advised that the backpack contained a password protected, but unencrypted, laptop that had copies of the medical exam results for NFL Combine attendees from 2004 until the present, as well as certain Redskins’ player records. We have also been advised that the backpack contained a zip drive and certain hard copy records of NFL Combine medical examinations as well as portions of current Redskins’ player medical records. It is our understanding that our Electronic Monitoring System prevented the downloading of any player medical records held by the team from the new EMR system.

The NFLPA has consulted with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services regarding this matter. The NFLPA also continues to be briefed by the NFL on how they intend to deal with both the breach by a club employee, the violation of NFL and NFLPA rules regarding the storage of personal data, and what the NFL intends to do with respect to notifying those who may be affected. We will keep you apprised of what we hear from the team and League.

All inquiries regarding this matter should be directed to the NFL Management Council lawyers (212-450-2000) and/or the Washington Redskins (703-726-7000).

Thank you,

De

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    A Zip drive???

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    A Zip drive???

They're like disk drives, but have a much larger relative capacity.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Might as well had the records on 5-1/4" floppies.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    A Zip drive???

Turns out Dan Snyder cheaps out on IT stuff too. Just when you think he can't get more punchable, he find another way.

• Options
    I bet zip discs are expensive collectibles on eBay these days.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Redskins...why am I not surprised.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why even keep twelve year old medical data?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Why even keep twelve year old medical data?

Comparisons, predictive analysis from historical data, lawsuit evidence

• Options
    When I first read that I thought it was more dirt on Goodell... turns out it was on the Slurs. Even better.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So this is a thing:
    The best way to get a Super Bowl is a build a new stadium, and preferably to get someone else to pay for a lot of it.

But the stadium arms race isn’t limited to the simple awarding of title games, and commissioner Roger Goodell used his trip to Western New York today to remind the locals to keep up with the times.

Via Tyler Dunne of the Buffalo News, Goodell suggested that Bill owners Terry and Kim Pegula might want to think about a new stadium.

“Well, I think that’s one of the things Terry’s going through,” Goodell said, “trying to see what it takes to make sure the Bills remain here on a successful basis. That’s their objective and I know that’s their commitment. We fully support that.

“Stadiums are important, just to making sure the team here can continue to compete not only throughout the NFL but also to compete in this environment because we’ve got great facilities here now. The Bills have to stay up with that.”

As threats go, that one’s pretty thinly veiled. The Bills just invested $130 million in 2014 to update Ralph Wilson Stadium, and the team has defended the viability of the building. But while Goodell has said the team needs to think “long term,” he stopped short Monday of suggesting the Bills’ future might not be there if they don’t come up with a new stadium.

“I think the reality is the support of the fans is really the key,” Goodell said. “The business community is important also. But ultimately the stadium has to make sure it can attract both of those elements and then generate the revenue that’s necessary to be competitive in the league. So I think every team in the league continues to look at whether it’s a new stadium or renovations.”

Fan support has never been an issue there, but the market is economically limited compared to some others, and it’s hard to know how many bells and whistles Buffalo can bear.

I guess the NFL itself now wants in on the stadium grift.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    It's even better since even if they do build a new fancy billion dollar stadium they probably won't get a super bowl anyways.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Nah. The kicker will be that after Buffalo builds the stadium, the team will move to Toronto anyway because the league really wants to be 'international'.

• Options
    So apparently, someone hacked the NFL Twitter account, and put out a "Goodell is dead" tweet. And got CNBC to bite.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Stupid double post.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Washington has hired the NFL's first female team physician.

Jose Mourinho has already blamed her for team losses.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Racist but not sexist?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Washington has hired the NFL's first female team physician.

Jose Mourinho has already blamed her for team losses.

Has Pey-Pey been reached for comment on if he wants to pull a Farve and unretire to try and teabag her?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Yeah, but where is the guy who gets this tattoo as a prediction?

• Options
    In further stadium scam deals, the new Texas Ranger $1B ballpark is being sold to the public as a 50/50 deal. However, there is apparently a lot of language in the deal that could mean the city of Arlington would actually be on the hook for up to 80%.

Look on my works, Buffalo, and despair!

• Options
    Surprise!
    The Bills are taking the threat seriously, and with good reason. Ralph Wilson Stadium doesn't just have the worst nickname in all of sports ("The Ralph"? Really?), it's a four-decade-old concrete block built more for function than aesthetics. The facility has undergone considerable renovation, most recently a $130 million upgrade several years ago, but NFL owners have reportedly criticized the team for continuing to pour money into an old stadium rather than building a new one.

Bills owners Kim and Terry Pegula aren't quite ready to commit to a new facility, however. “We’re in the fact-finding mode,” Kim Pegula said. “We want to make sure we have all the information that is relative to our community, to our fan base. We’re not Atlanta, so it’s hard for us to say we’re going to build a stadium like Atlanta. We can’t. It’s not just a yes or no, it’s a lot more involved than that. We don’t talk about it now because we don’t have all the answers and we don’t want to get misconstrued because things change.”

Worth noting: Buffalo is the second-smallest market in the NFL, ahead of only Green Bay, and Bills fans have the lowest gameday experience prices (tickets, concessions, etc.) in the game. Those are two factors that don't bode well for a team to build a gargantuan new football palace; something has to give. Whether it's local governments ponying up more cash, fans paying more in tickets and Personal Seat Licenses for their beloved Bills, the Pegulas dipping into their own resources, or the Bills looking elsewhere, the current state of affairs can't exist forever in Buffalo. Change is coming.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Pegula dropped $100 million to create a hockey program at Penn State, so he has the money.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The owner having the money never seems to matter.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm a little annoyed that Yahoo accidentally posted a story on their frontpage saying "Broncos trade Von Miller for Kaepernick" and apparently it's not true. Didn't think to grab a screenshot until it was gone.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Heh yeah it was a daily snark

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    And now a life lesson courtesy of Marshawn Lynch, NSFW Language

Carpy on
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Thank you, Johnny Football, for giving us all the laugh we desperately needed today.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Thank you, Johnny Football, for giving us all the laugh we desperately needed today.

It is as glorious as you can imagine

“Heaven help us if one of the conditions is to pee in a bottle,” the attorney wrote.

Hinton also wrote that he had been emailed a “heads up” receipt “which purports to reflect” that Manziel made a purchase of $1,018.77 at a Gas Pipe store at 12:03 p.m. on Tuesday, less than a day after his crash. A manager at a Gas Pipe location not far from where Manziel’s crash was reported declined to discuss whether he bought anything there. A sign in the store says ID is required for purchases above $200.

“I don’t know if the receipt is legitimate or not,” Hinton responded when asked about it by the AP. “I just know that it doesn’t say Johnny’s name on it anywhere that I can see. It’s just that somebody in that store, I guess, circulated that to the other store managers and employees saying, ‘Guess who was here today and spent this amount of money.’ That’s all I know.”

The errant text was sent Wednesday after the AP sought comment via text about Monday night’s crash. When asked about the text, Hinton said he had meant to send it another attorney on the case and was unaware the AP had received it instead. He insisted the contents were protected by attorney-client privilege and threatened to sue if certain details were published.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ...exactly how is the AP bound by attorney-client privilege?

• Options

They are not, sending information to a third party unasked directly waives it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I do hope the AP's lawyers explained that to him.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I do hope the AP's lawyers explained that to him.

Nah I'd much rather wait for the lawsuit to roll in. Someone that stupid should have it delivered in court.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So my local morning news has added this news crawl to the bottom of the screen. And one of the things it says this morning is that LT has the stats and production to make it to the HoF. And I start thinking, 'Isn't Lawrence Taylor already in?

That's when I see the words 'first time ballot'. They're talking about LaDainian Tomlinson. Because Texas.

That is another thing football destroys. The ability to think of better nicknames.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Honestly, its not really funny anymore. His father talked to ESPN about it. Some quotes:
    "Don't know what to say other than my son is a druggie and he needs help. He just hasn't [sought] it yet. Hopefully he doesn't die before he comes to his senses."

"He has more money than me, so he can outrun me. Like I said, there are two things that are going to happen: He's either going to die, or he's going to figure out that he needs help."

"I mean, I hate to say it, but I hope he goes to jail. I mean, that would be the best place for him."

"I'm doing my job, and I'm going to move on. If I have to bury him, I'll bury him. That's the fact. So if not, if he calls me and needs help, I'll go get him. Until then, he's on his own. I've done everything I can do. There is nothing [else] I can do as a father. Nothing. ... It is what it is. He's a druggie, and everybody needs to accept it."

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Offseason boring stuff:

Luck got 6 years 140 mil 87 guaranteed.

Doug Baldwin 4 years 46 mil 12 guaranteed with incentive based extras.

Al Jazeera probe is ongoing but will most likely die with a whimper.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    free peyton

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    lol Indy

Keep on overpaying for mediocrity

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.