Options

[nfl] The season has begun. 2 more weeks before your team's season is over.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    God that feels so fake and made for social media retweets

Don't forget that by the time you get to those late rounds you're talking about players who are at best 50/50 to get drafted at all, so the excitement makes sense.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Though that dude was a projected top ten pick before he got hurt a bunch of times this year.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Still killing yourself over being on the browns is a bit much. Perspective son!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So Browns

Like seriously?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Why would they not want a training camp battle?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I dunno they made a big deal about getting Rg3 and now they are going to say they can't commit to him being qb over a just drafted Rookie? That's not a confidence builder.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If Griffin can't beat out Kessler for the starter's job, then he doesn't belong in the league anymore.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It's a day ending in y, let's see how Roger's being a goose today:
    As the NFL continues to bask in the glow of a narrow, 2-1 appeals court victory in the #Deflategate imbroglio, Commissioner Roger Goodell is now defending his handling of quarterback Tom Brady’s suspension by attacking the NFL Players Association.

“I understand when there is a defense of any violation . . . that is part of the game, we all understand that nobody wants to discipline,” Goodell told ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike, via Dan Werly of TheWhiteBronco.com. “I understand the union’s position. The union’s position is to eliminate discipline. That is what they do, we are going to protect the player, right or wrong. And I get that, that is understandable, go at it. My job is to protect the game. We are not going to relent on that, we are not going to compromise at all.”

That’s an incredibly cynical view of the union’s role, and an apparent attempt to counter NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith’s recent explanation on PFT Live about the union’s commitment to fighting for its players. But the union isn’t trying to ensure that players suffer no consequence for wrongdoing. The union wants any consequences to be fair and consistent and within the confines of the labor deal. The union also wants the process that determines those consequences to be fair.

Oh, go fuck yourself, Rog.

Now and forever, Goodell delenda est.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I almost stopped reading after the "narrow win" laughable statement. That is not a narrow in in 2nd circuit appeals court. Heh he is right on many points though. The union does want to protect its players and minimize the discipline of its clients. I thought that was apparent in our domestic violence discussions and the player approved 2 game maximum during Ray Rice incident.

Now would they reduce it down to zero? Probably not but the nflpa is just as biased in its protections of the players as goodell is for the owners. They fought Hardy's suspension and others like it (AP) remember.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That's what they're supposed to do. Fight for their members. They might be the weakest sports union on earth, but they have to pay lip service to the idea of being an actual union.

• Options
    Yeah and Goodell is supposed to listen to the owners.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Which is why he shouldn't be acting as an arbitrator

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    PantsB wrote: »

Eh that is neither here nor there. It was agreed upon by both parties decade+ ago. To me that statement is just more in the back and forth, transfering of blame, fight for power we have been in since before the incident that shall not be named.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

Which can be re-litigated at the next CBA.

I'm pro-union, but the Union screwed the pooch here.

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

I agree.

They still have to fight for their members.

• Options
    edited May 2016

I always find unfair when incidents are bought up as "lol Goodell", like the Rice incident, when he was following the letter of the law set forth by the CBA with NFLPA signatures. If anything that was him doing a great job, in fact if he did go overboard it was to protect the player, at that point if some stories are to be believed.

I agree.

They still have to fight for their members.

Of course. I just find them as dirty as Goodell on some fronts.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    After Goodell levied the punishment, one practically everybody agrees was rediculously light, he then added to it after the second video is released. Something that violates just about every labour agreement ever.

Defending Goodell over shit like that makes you look more silly than usual. And taking the union to task for doing the one thing expected of them, to defend their members, just because what the membersay have done is horrible, makes you look even sillier.

If the union failed to do even its most basic job, then it might as well not exist at all. Defending their members by trying to reduce or eliminate punishments is a thing. Acting surpised and indignant about it is a joke. Perhaps you should educate yourself on what a union is and what it does before you jump into management's bed.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The NFLPA didnt think it was light. When they signed the CBA. What happened afterwards is outside of the range of what I was talking to as it is pretty obvious I was talking about the initial punishment.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Has anybody made the argument that the CBA was not agreed on by the union?

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Has anybody made the argument that the CBA was not agreed on by the union?

They voted on it, passed it, and signed it, so that's not really a valid argument. They may regret signing it now, but they did agree to it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    The NFLPA didnt think it was light. When they signed the CBA. What happened afterwards is outside of the range of what I was talking to as it is pretty obvious I was talking about the initial punishment.

It's pretty obvious that you hate the union stepping up to their duties and defending their members.

Your language has been pretty obvious about that. Especially when the league goes after teams and players you root against.

• Options
    edited May 2016

It's pretty obvious that you hate the union stepping up to their duties and defending their members.

Your language has been pretty obvious about that. Especially when the league goes after teams and players you root against.

No. Not all. I actually will side with unions on most fronts. Not in instances that fall under the prevue of contractual agreements. Thats really about it. But then you aren't arguing in good faith, I was 'obviously' talking about pre-leak with Goodell following the CBA in Rice incident and that he was given pretty much full blame for the 2 game levy, so whatever. Have a good one.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Honest question: say you're picking #4, and 21 year old clone of Barry Sanders who just won the Heisman and ran for like 2500 yards or whatever is available. I'm pretty sure you don't pick him, especially if a good QB, LT, DE, or CB are on the board.

What I'm saying is that the Cowboys are morons for taking a guy who I feel like is best case fringe all-pro at RB at #4.

Can't say I agree with this. College produces a lot of good RBs and the only difference between most of them is how good their o-line plays. Every once in a while you get an elite back like Adrian Peterson where his overall contribution to the team is far more than just being good behind a great o-line. While it's true that the passing game has grown more important than the running game over the past few decades, a great running game is still worth something - look at Carolina and Seattle last year.

Just look at the current list of top QBs. Around #8 or so you begin to wonder if that team would be better off with Adrian Peterson or someone like Matthew Stafford.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Honest question: say you're picking #4, and 21 year old clone of Barry Sanders who just won the Heisman and ran for like 2500 yards or whatever is available. I'm pretty sure you don't pick him, especially if a good QB, LT, DE, or CB are on the board.

What I'm saying is that the Cowboys are morons for taking a guy who I feel like is best case fringe all-pro at RB at #4.

Can't say I agree with this. College produces a lot of good RBs and the only difference between most of them is how good their o-line plays. Every once in a while you get an elite back like Adrian Peterson where his overall contribution to the team is far more than just being good behind a great o-line. While it's true that the passing game has grown more important than the running game over the past few decades, a great running game is still worth something - look at Carolina and Seattle last year.

Just look at the current list of top QBs. Around #8 or so you begin to wonder if that team would be better off with Adrian Peterson or someone like Matthew Stafford.

i dunno. seattle was no. 2 in passing DVOA and carolina was no. 9 (with a healthy dose of their run DVOA from Cam scrambling)

i wouldn't say they were running teams, per se

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well it also might be that the Hawks were down to season pickups and practice squad guys at RB at the last 3rd. :)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    RBs tend to be plug and play. Zeke is gonna come in and throw down 1500 yards behind that line without much work being done on him. Their goal is to squeeze a Super Bowl out of Romo's final years and he made sense for that.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I'd take those odds. OSU's line the last two years was obscene.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    RBs tend to be plug and play. Zeke is gonna come in and throw down 1500 yards behind that line without much work being done on him. Their goal is to squeeze a Super Bowl out of Romo's final years and he made sense for that.

I feel like we've seen plenty of RBs who couldn't switch between zone and power running schemes, or single-back and two-back running schemes.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i hope they invite the same courtroom artist for the appeal

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    y2jake215 wrote: »

The dream of milking the eventual arbitration law ruling to happen post retirement for the suspension is alive right? It is Tom Brady so the white aristocrat aspect might just mean it makes it to the supreme court to give him another year or two. ;) Which actually would be perfectly fine I think for most of us at this point.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Sean McDonough in for MNF. Moss in for ESPN analysis.

Ray Lewis and Cris Carter out.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    randy moss?

• Options
    Sean McDonough in for MNF. Moss in for ESPN analysis.

Ray Lewis and Cris Carter out.

If this breaks up the McDonough-Spielman CFB broadcast team I am heartbroken. He's excellent though.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    That's kind of a useless stat.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    That's kind of a useless stat.

All stats are useless.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I mean it's just a USA Today factoid. A piece of trivia to win a bar bet.

By limiting it to 'top four', you only get thirteen cities/municipalities to pick from and then mustassume an equal chance at victory. How many cities have won only oonce in the last sixteen or so years?

And why limit it to 'top four'? Minnesota has three WNBA titles in the last five years and DC United has one MLS title (in 2004).

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    It's mostly because the caps were the top ranked team in the NHL this year and just got eliminated last night (and it's not the first time that's happened recently) so it's less a useless stat and more a "stat-informed" headline to discuss the loss.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Well, the Caps suck in the playoffs. No need to sully Minnesota to point that out.

This discussion has been closed.