Options

[nfl] The season has begun. 2 more weeks before your team's season is over.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    PantsB wrote: »
    Sean McDonough in for MNF. Moss in for ESPN analysis.

Ray Lewis and Cris Carter out.

If this breaks up the McDonough-Spielman CFB broadcast team I am heartbroken. He's excellent though.

My dad and especially my uncle knew his dad (Will McDonough) very well since they came from the same project and played sports together. He and my uncle were two of the relatively small number of Southie project kids to go to the exam schools (McDonough went to Boston English, my uncle went to Boston Latin). He was a beat writer for the Globe so for a while my family had a pretty good link to inside info on the teams.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Sean McDonough in for MNF. Moss in for ESPN analysis.

Ray Lewis and Cris Carter out.

If this breaks up the McDonough-Spielman CFB broadcast team I am heartbroken. He's excellent though.

My dad and especially my uncle knew his dad (Will McDonough) very well since they came from the same project and played sports together. He and my uncle were two of the relatively small number of Southie project kids to go to the exam schools (McDonough went to Boston English, my uncle went to Boston Latin). He was a beat writer for the Globe so for a while my family had a pretty good link to inside info on the teams.

always really liked mcdonough on UPN friday night sox games. he went to english though? we always whooped em

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    huh i never thought about sean and will mcdonaugh being related.

always loved sean when he did the sox game, he has such a calm and assuring voice

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Well, the Caps suck in the playoffs. No need to sully Minnesota to point that out.

Minnesota sullies itself just fine

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Well, the Caps suck in the playoffs. No need to sully Minnesota to point that out.

Minnesota sullies itself just fine by itself

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Minnesota sullies itself just fine by itself

Twice!

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15472532/how-reche-caldwell-googled-way-patriots-prison

Podly
    what the hell, how did i never hear about any of this

@y2jake215 whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat this is craaaaaazy!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Welp, Gronk's fucked - guess who's the new Madden poster boy?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Gronk to do gronkiest thing ever, and break Madden curse?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    it would make sense in reverse superstitious ways, since he's already had a few injuries

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Gronk to do gronkiest thing ever, and break Madden curse?

If he breaks the EA curse (Ronda and McGregor got claimed) he may be the greatest athlete and entertainer in sports history.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Megatron already broke the Madden curse.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

He never got away from the Lions.

• Options
    I hate you that mad me sad

• Options

Not even a little bit. Dude retired early after being stuck with a terrible team.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Real talk, Calvin did beat the Madden Curse. It's not a "career" curse. It's a "your next year will suck/you will get injured" curse.

The year he was "cursed" he broke the all time receiving record.

He beat the curse. Sorry to take away from a potential Gronk first accomplishment :rotate:

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Real talk, Calvin did beat the Madden Curse. It's not a "career" curse. It's a "your next year will suck/you will get injured" curse.

His next year he broke the all time receiving record.

He beat the curse. Sorry to take away from a potential Gronk first accomplishment. :|

To be fair Gronk being the first guy called their first guy to break the curse would cement the Lions as the Lions and Gronk as Gronk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

His next year he broke the all time receiving record.

He beat the curse. Sorry to take away from a potential Gronk first accomplishment. :|

To be fair Gronk being the first guy called their first guy to break the curse would cement the Lions as the Lions and Gronk as Gronk.

And Pats fans as insufferable.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Besides, Sherman already broke the curse.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Also curses aren't real and confirmation bias is a thing.

Maybe being in high-risk impacts sports explains kind of everything about this curse? Nah. Probably John Madden didn't tip an old gypsy (in keeping with old stereotypes) dry cleaner or something.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So apparently the NFL is giving back the money it received to promote the military.

It was a thing I saw on my phone and didn't bother to investigate since I also presume there's a catch somewhere.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So apparently the NFL is giving back the money it received to promote the military.

It was a thing I saw on my phone and didn't bother to investigate since I also presume there's a catch somewhere.

700k of the 7 million they got, its a fucking insult.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So...more of a catch than anything Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant has ever made?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    The NFL military partnership has always made me feel queasy.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Jingo is a part of a Good American Breakfast!

• Options
    Elki wrote: »

you BETTER idolize pat tillman you unpatriotic son of a

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

It's kind of an awkward nationlism thing anyway, to learn the government was paying for "tribute to the troops" was like a huge fuck you to the whole thing.

I mean the Mariners honor vets as well, but they didn't get paid to do it, Seattle is just in a state with a lot of military members and crazily enough thought "hey maybe we should recognize their service." Then again the mariners honor dairy farmers so they just like to honor things.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Preacher wrote: »

700k of the 7 million they got, its a fucking insult.

General misconception going on here. The NFL is an organization made up of a variety of individual businesses (the various NFL teams). The $700,000 the NFL gave back is what the NFL itself received. The rest of the money was received by individual teams, who's finances and sponsorship contracts the NFL does not control. Its up to each individual team to return the rest of the money. So, you should be complaining about:

ATLANTA FALCONS FOOTBALL CLUB, LLC
    BALTIMORE RAVENS LP
    BUFFALO BILLS, INC.
    CINCINNATI BENGALS, INC.
    CLEVELAND BROWNS FOOTBALL COMPANY, LLC
    DALLAS COWBOYS FOOTBALL CLUB LTD
    FORTY NINERS FOOTBALL COMPANY LLC
    GREEN BAY PACKERS, INC.
    INDIANAPOLIS COLTS, INC.
    KANSAS CITY CHIEFS FOOTBALL CLUB, INC.
    MIAMI DOLPHINS, LTD.
    MINNESOTA VIKINGS FOOTBALL, LLC
    NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA SAINTS, L.L.C.
    NEW YORK JETS LLC
    PITTSBURGH STEELERS SPORTS INC
    ST. LOUIS RAMS, LLC THE

Which are the teams that received the rest of the money.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    guys i can't wait for gronk to gronk spike the madden curse becoming the first player ever to avoid the madden curse this will be an all time accomplishment

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    gronk

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    No he is not and there is no such thing.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    DHS wrote: »
    No he is not and there is no such thing.
    While it appears that the victims to the curse have had off seasons after performing exceptionally well, many regard this as simple regression toward the mean. That is, these performances were outstanding for the athletes in question, and they should not be expected to repeat them.

Another issue in some cases may be the matter of workload. Both Eddie George in 2000 and Shaun Alexander in 2005 recorded career highs in carries. This high workload contributed to their impressive totals in yards and touchdowns, but the additional wear and tear this workload entailed may have contributed to their injuries in the following seasons.

Another factor may be that defenses focus on stopping a player who had an exceptional season the prior year. Also, if a player is featured so heavily, everyone will know he's extremely good, and will tackle harder and succeed.

It's all bullshit.

• Options
    so gronk broke the curse before the season even started? amazing

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, and in the vein of the stadium scam conversations from before, the City of Arlington has approved a half cent tax increase to fund a retractable roof stadium for the Texas Rangers. Their lease is up in seven years but they're going forward with the plan to build anyway. Perhaps they'll design this one to not be so shitty.

And there is apparently a plan to develop the area around the Jerry's World into that nonsense community shit they always sell the proles. So presumably the new stadium will go into the area.

For those not familiar with the area, do a satellite map search of the area and then zoom out a little bit to see what it looks like. It's not in the middle of nowhere, but it might as well be. There is zero mass transit options beside locals bus lines and only one route to local highways for the 90% of the attendees who don't fucking live in Arlington.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That's what makes it attractive for development. If you build it they will come.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Who will come? No matter what they build there is still no easy access to any of it. Ask anybody near Santa Clara if the Jeanhole is in a good location.

This discussion has been closed.