Options

[nfl] The season has begun. 2 more weeks before your team's season is over.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    CHAOSSSSSS

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I have no idea how Sherman didn't get an unsportsmanlike on that.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Way to handle this refs

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    LOL

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    This is just the worst officiating

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    JUST END THE GAME ALREADY IN A DRAW.

• Options
    EVERYBODY LOSES!

• Options
    SERIOUSLY, EVERYBODY LOSES. ALL THIRTY TWO TEAMS.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Glorious. That's what you get for faking Carpenter.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Roughing the passer cannot apply if you get the ball (iirc). Sherman hit the football while it was still in the place and so roughing cannot apply. The kicker isn't even a kicker at that point and iirc there is a hard exception for when you hit the ball. (Eg blocked punt they just showed that the Ravens blocked)

Edit: That is why Sherman didn't get the roughing call

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Roughing the passer cannot apply if you get the ball (iirc). Sherman hit the football while it was still in the place and so roughing cannot apply. The kicker isn't even a kicker at that point and iirc there is a hard exception for when you hit the ball. (Eg blocked punt they just showed that the Ravens blocked)

Jerry Hughes was saying that the roughing would be because Sherman kept playing after the whistle and took Carpenter out.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

It would be unnecessary roughness, not roughing since the play was blown dead way before contact.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    What an incredible come-from-behind win for senj

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Jerry Hughes was saying that the roughing would be because Sherman kept playing after the whistle and took Carpenter out.

I can understand that but nobody on the field heard a whistle, thats why the kicker kept playing too

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Offsides does not typically end the play. If the kicker stops then that makes sense. But he kicker keeps going and goes for the kick there is no expectation for him to stop.

Edit: would only be unnecessary if he intentionally hit the kicker... But he got the ball and so isn't being unnecessary even after the whistle.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Offsides does not typically end the play. If the kicker stops then that makes sense. But he kicker keeps going and goes for the kick there is no expectation for him to stop.

Edit: would only be unnecessary if he intentionally hit the kicker... But he got the ball and so isn't being unnecessary even after the whistle.

Sherman wasn't just offside; he was unabated to the kicker. That's why the play was whistled dead rather than just a flag thrown.

Whether Sherman could have expected that isn't clear, but the play is dead when it's unabated to the QB too. Of course, players do hit QBs when that happens too, which is why a lot of QBs throw the ball into the turf when that happens. I personally think it's reasonable to call penalties whenever a defensive player hits the QB or a kicker after being called unabated though, especially if the league's going to be all about player safety and shit.

hippofant on
  • Options
    You know its a bad int when sherman keeps running the correct route and your wr goes the wrong way

• Options

Sherman wasn't just offside; he was unabated to the kicker. That's why the play was whistled dead rather than just a flag thrown.

Whether Sherman could have expected that isn't clear, but the play is dead when it's unabated to the QB too. Of course, players do hit QBs when that happens too, which is why a lot of QBs throw the ball into the turf when that happens. I personally think it's reasonable to call penalties whenever a defensive player hits the QB or a kicker after being called unabated though, especially if the league's going to be all about player safety and shit.

Would be unnecessary if the kicker doesn't go to the ball to kick it. At that point he is going into Sherman as much as Sherman is going into him. It would be like if a QB turns and runs into a defender who is unabated to the QB. The defender cannot be responsible for the offense moving into them.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Would be unnecessary if the kicker doesn't go to the ball to kick it. At that point he is going into Sherman as much as Sherman is going into him. It would be like if a QB turns and runs into a defender who is unabated to the QB. The defender cannot be responsible for the offense moving into them.

Dude Sherman left his fucking feet diving. I don't know what the fuck you're even defending any more... he walked into my fist? Stepped into my bullet? Ugh.

• Options

Dude Sherman left his fucking feet diving. I don't know what the fuck you're even defending any more... he walked into my fist? Stepped into my bullet? Ugh.

He goes for the ball... If the play is dead you don't kick it. Yes that means you would indeed don't walk into Sherman's "fist". Like if it's unabated to the QB and the defender ends up running in front of the QB would be if he doesn't move it's not UR if the QB moves forward to throw into the defender.

Same thing applies here.

That was a terrible taunting call.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The lack of Bennett and to a lesser extent Chancellor is really being felt here. Luckily the offense is stepping up, finally.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    We Can't tackle for Shit tonight

• Options
    Honestly most of that is just Shady being Shady.

• Options
    I have no idea wtf the broadcast is on about with this ejection nonsense

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Haha yeah I'm sure the Bills would love for Sherman to be ejected.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ. Horrid officiating aside, can we cover Jimmy Graham? Please?

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Also not grabbing even WR would be great.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Whatevs

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I have no idea wtf the broadcast is on about with this ejection nonsense

If it was UR and intentional/flagrant it can be an offense you're ejected for. They think it was UR* and intentionally damaging and so he should have been ejected.

Granted I don't think it was either so..

*technically they were yelling about it being roughing, which it was not.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Whatevs

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

He goes for the ball... If the play is dead you don't kick it. Yes that means you would indeed don't walk into Sherman's "fist". Like if it's unabated to the QB and the defender ends up running in front of the QB would be if he doesn't move it's not UR if the QB moves forward to throw into the defender.

Same thing applies here.

I can guarantee you there is no rule saying it's the offenses responsiblity to stop moving or else it's not roughing
    I assume you mean roughness. Roughing is negated by rule because Sherman got the ball. You cannot rough the kicker if you make contact with the ball.

Wrt UR: Dead ball UR does indeed require that the victim not initiate contact yes. Mutually initiated contact cannot be UR or it would be UR on both participants. As such the kicker does have an obligation

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/29969/nfl-rulebook-unnecessary-roughness

In order for it to be UR the kicker has to be standing still or facing backwards after having kicked, else place kickers are not defenseless.

So no it's not UR or roughing the kicker.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    For the record, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be roughing either way because the play was blown dead

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Can we just agree this game is another in a line of shitty called games and there have been many missed or iffy calls on both sides of the ball?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Might have been called shitty but our defense is worse than whatever the refs are doing. Cannot believe we are winning. Ed: only thing worse than our defensive line is our offensive line.

Edit: we (Hawks) have probably been the beneficiary of calls all together. Sherman got a bad one I saw. But that taunting penalty was super weak and took a score attempt away (iirc) and everything else seems to be landing on the Bills.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Same thing applies here.

I can guarantee you there is no rule saying it's the offenses responsiblity to stop moving or else it's not roughing
    I assume you mean roughness. Roughing is negated by rule because Sherman got the ball. You cannot rough the kicker if you make contact with the ball.

Wrt UR: Dead ball UR does indeed require that the victim not initiate contact yes. Mutually initiated contact cannot be UR or it would be UR on both participants. As such the kicker does have an obligation

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/29969/nfl-rulebook-unnecessary-roughness

In order for it to be UR the kicker has to be standing still or facing backwards after having kicked, else place kickers are not defenseless.

Those rules say "including but not limited to" though. It's the referee's discretion on unnecessary roughness. Plus there are separate roughness rules about hitting players who should not reasonably anticipate such contact before or after the ball is dead which are suitably vague

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, the refs have been awful. And even worse, have looked like they literally don't know the rules a few times

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Might have been called shitty but our defense is worse than whatever the refs are doing. Cannot believe we are winning. Ed: only thing worse than our defensive line is our offensive line.

Edit: we (Hawks) have probably been the beneficiary of calls all together. Sherman got a bad one I saw. But that taunting penalty was super weak and took a score attempt away (iirc) and everything else seems to be landing on the Bills.

Meh. Buf has been a top 10 O on DVOA for weeks now. And that was with a hurt Shady.

• Options

Same thing applies here.

Those rules say "including but not limited to" though. It's the referee's discretion on unnecessary roughness. Plus there are separate roughness rules about hitting players who should not reasonably anticipate such contact before or after the ball is dead which are suitably vague

There is sufficient specificity with regards to the kicker's situation to assume it does not apply in the non-listed situations.

I am sure there are sufficiently vague things for after the whistle. But I didn't want to look for them and Google didn't bring it up fast and the vagueness of course can go either way so I was ehhh.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Defense is missing Bennett and Chancellor. Not surprising they're having trouble.

This discussion has been closed.