As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with a third party antivirus at this point. windows defender is more than good enough unless you're explicitly spending all your time on the internet on shady sites that you already know are riddled with malware.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    If you are getting antivirus, you should pay for it.

The free providers are all doing too many "you are the product" shenanigans at this point that it isn't worth it.

The current AV's I would recommend (without a business incentive) are Webroot (for pretty good protection in an amazingly lightweight package) and Bitdefender (for great all aroundedness). Bear in mind that the AV landscape is always changing and you should re-evaluate at least once a year.

• Options
    November 13th, the Windows 10 1809 October Update is finally (re)released.

I'll have to check when I get home tonight to see what this looks like from my XPS13 which got the original version of the update.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Not showing yet on clicking check for updates on either of my machines. Will have another look on the weekend.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Same here, but I'm not in any sort of insider ring.

• Options
    My XPS13 that got the original version of the update had a new cumulative update yesterday.

It looks like Microsoft is going to slow roll this thing over a few weeks to those that never originally got it.

• Options
    Best to wait from the looks of it. Apparently checks for potentially incompatible software and will only show up if it's sure it'll work. Looks like a lot of people who've tried to force had it fail at ~15% and roll back.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I am betting we do not want to visit that site ever for anything.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Me: “What even is in this update I’m sure I don’t give a shit about it anyway”

*googles*

“MOTHERFUCKING DARK FILE EXPLORER INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS ASAP”

august on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Me: “What even is in this update I’m sure I don’t give a shit about it anyway”

*googles”

“MOTHERFUCKING DARK FILE EXPLORER INJECT IT INTO MY VIENS ASAP”

Yes dark mode is the shit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    where's the option for dark mode explorer?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It’s covered by the dark app option now in the color menu. If you already had dark apps on and get the October update your file explorer will be dark as well.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Is this a place I can ask a question about Outlook?

My boyfriend got a surface and wants to use outlook for his email but in setting it up he somehow got his old Apple email account “associated” with his outlook account and now it’s listed on there and driving his ocd nuts.

Is there anyway to remove an “associated” email address in Outlook?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Is this a place I can ask a question about Outlook?

My boyfriend got a surface and wants to use outlook for his email but in setting it up he somehow got his old Apple email account “associated” with his outlook account and now it’s listed on there and driving his ocd nuts.

Is there anyway to remove an “associated” email address in Outlook?

Is this helpful?
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/remove-or-delete-an-email-account-from-outlook-1fa900ae-6dc8-468c-b754-10292f7ee47a

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It's possible that he's using the 'app' version of outlook, in which case those steps won't help, but it is fairly easy to remove an account. There should be a menu or gear icon next to the account name in the app's menu, and towards the bottom 'remove account' should be an option.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The latest update seems to have borked IPVanish for us. Any ideas where I might go in Win 10 to unfuck something that might have changed recently? :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The latest update seems to have borked IPVanish for us. Any ideas where I might go in Win 10 to unfuck something that might have changed recently? :I

Most updates can be rolled back.

Some cannot, and requires a reinstall.

I do not know which kind this one is.

• Options
    I still can't get it on either desktop or laptop despite not having any of the the things listed as upgrade blocks. Checking if the update is available is literally the only thing I've done in Windows in over month though so wevs.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The last big feature update ended up blocked on my laptop because of a specific issue it introduced on this model, so I had to wait for a compatible version to be released (I think it was a few weeks later). I'm not fond of being an early adopter of the big Windows updates anyway, so just as well, really.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    I still can't get it on either desktop or laptop despite not having any of the the things listed as upgrade blocks. Checking if the update is available is literally the only thing I've done in Windows in over month though so wevs.

well considering it was pulled and not available for 6 weeks, yea you wouldn't have been able to get it.

and honestly, with how many problems there still seem to be, I wouldn't be rushing to get it.

• Options
    Yeah I'm well aware of the update getting pulled for a while, I'm talking since it came back on the 13th. I'd rather get it out of the way. I don't want to need to do something in Windows down the line and be stuck waiting on a feature update.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Yeah I'm well aware of the update getting pulled for a while, I'm talking since it came back on the 13th. I'd rather get it out of the way. I don't want to need to do something in Windows down the line and be stuck waiting on a feature update.

There are still enough problems with it that I wouldn't be in a rush to get it.

I was reading yesterday that apparently a couple things that are broken that were just discovered are that the seek bar in Windows Media Player doesn't work, and some Win32 apps can't be set as the default app to open certain file types.

This update is an absolute fucking mess.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    wunderbar wrote: »

I was reading yesterday that apparently a couple things that are broken that were just discovered are that the seek bar in Windows Media Player doesn't work, and some Win32 apps can't be set as the default app to open certain file types.

I'm already unable to set Acrobat full as the default PDF reader at work (Win 10: "fuck you, you'll use Acrobat Reader and you'll like it!"). Maybe we got it ahead of time!

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

I'm already unable to set Acrobat full as the default PDF reader at work (Win 10: "fuck you, you'll use Acrobat Reader and you'll like it!"). Maybe we got it ahead of time!

I'd say it's doing you a favor, except reader is no better than acrobat.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Heh, I've run into the "can't change file associations" issue too. What fun! :rotate:

• Options
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What is that?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    What is that?

Windows 10 calculator, one of the buttons is off by a pixel

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah, it took me a few to see what the big deal is.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

But now you'll never be able to not see it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I checked mine and it's not there (different UI even) so I can rest easy.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I literally can't tell without a magnifying glass, even knowing it's there.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Speak for yourself.

I still want the damn update for my Mixed Reality "flashlight".

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    wait my file manager is still white
    i want to paint it black

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I still haven't got 1809. :eh:

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just checked Windows update and it downloaded 1809 and now I got the black file manager.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It took me nearly eleven hours to download the fucking thing.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've gotten mine yet.

• Options
    I had to force it by manually checking.

Four minutes after booting and the update saying there was no new updates.

Then I wasted a day.