As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Last I heard (months ago) was that it had been suspended altogether for my model of laptop due to a compatibility error - the display wouldn't come back on after resuming from sleep mode or something like that (which, weirdly, my previous laptop - same manufacturer - also did under Win7 so I couldn't use sleep mode on it). I don't know if it's been reissued for it yet at all.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Huh. I guess I better check when I get home myself.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Ladies and Gentlemen, our great national nightmare is over.

When Windows 10 version 1903, or whatever it ends up being called, drops..... Cortana will no longer play during a windows install. It'll be there, but muted by default.

Citizens of the world, rejoice!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I liked that. A little totally unnecessary brevity during that boring, Apple-imitation color screen staring at you demanding you choose or else.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

When Windows 10 version 1903, or whatever it ends up being called, drops..... Cortana will no longer play during a windows install. It'll be there, but muted by default.

Oh jesus. I just noticed that this only applies to Win 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education. Win 10 Home will still get Cortana yelling at your in the OOBE.

Goddamnit Microsoft.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Oh jesus. I just noticed that this only applies to Win 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education. Win 10 Home will still get Cortana yelling at your in the OOBE.

Goddamnit Microsoft.

To be fair, anybody who gets the Home edition of a MS OS is probably a simple newb who misses Clippy.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I got Home for free so I don't have a choice if I don't want to pay

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what are you guys even talking about?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    I'd like to run my TV's sound through my computer's line-in port so I can listen to both at the same time, but the line-in port doesn't show up at all in the Sound control panel's recording tab. "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" are both selected, and running the sound troubleshooter doesn't show anything for line-in either.

Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot further?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Start >Settings>System>Sound

What is the chosen input device listed under 'Input'?

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Start >Settings>System>Sound

What is the chosen input device listed under 'Input'?
    "Microphone (SB Recon3Di)". The only other option is "Digital Input (SB Recon3Di)".

• Options
    The only thing that comes to mind is ensure that your drivers and/or audio device is properly installed. And that the audio device allows for line in.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    what are you guys even talking about?

Yeah, speakers don't get plugged in until after all the other stuff is working on a new build.

• Options
    I don't remember Cortana ever talking during install

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Cortana spoke to me during initial setup on my laptop, but that wasn't a fresh install, it was a factory one. Just reading out what was on-screen. Pretty sure you could silence it too.

I may be misremembering, it was 18 months or so ago.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop a couple of days ago and Cortana started talking and then automatically turned on my microphone so that I could speak a response. It feels like the sort of thing that would be really helpful for normies or whatever but I found it very irritating and immediately turned it off.

I then had to spend about half an hour uninstalling or disabling huge swaths of the OS, replacing the Start Menu, and customizing everything. I can't believe that it's the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen and Microsoft is still providing an OS that defaults to hiding file extensions by default and doesn't even ship with a calculator.

Mind you it comes with three different versions of Candy Crush out of the box, but no calculator.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    your install didn't have a calculator program? mine did

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Press the Windows key (or open Start) and type 'calculator'.

And the reason why file extensions are hidden by default is MS is still in the mindset, right or wrong, that most people are smart enough to be a danger to themselves and will fuck something up by changing the extension of a file. Frankly, in spite of my always turning it on, it's a good idea to leave them hidden.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I hide file extensions purely out of OCD-like desire for neatness (I'm still pissed off that Microsoft Edge's icon is missing for that reason, even though I use Vivaldi). On the rare occasions that I need to change an extension (mostly dumb, esoteric stuff like fixing savegames in Stellaris), the option to show them is on the Explorer taskbar now, and not just the options menu.

And Windows 10 absolutely comes with a calculator. Candy Crush is stupid (though people do like it, so I guess it's our generation's Solitaire or Mineseweeper), but a calculator is definitely there.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    if your edge icon isn't working and you can't find calculator, there's something very wrong with your windows install.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Press the Windows key (or open Start) and type 'calculator'.

And the reason why file extensions are hidden by default is MS is still in the mindset, right or wrong, that most people are smart enough to be a danger to themselves and will fuck something up by changing the extension of a file. Frankly, in spite of my always turning it on, it's a good idea to leave them hidden.

No it's not. There is a warning prompt when you change an extension. Meanwhile I'm sure the amount of people who get tricked into joining a botnet by Avengers3.avi.exe or newphoto.jpg.bat or whatever is a much bigger issue.

• Options
    Do not confuse your extensive knowledge of OS functionality for the norm. Microsoft expects their customer base to be limited in what they know to do or not do. Turning extension on or off is hardly a back breaking task.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    if your edge icon isn't working and you can't find calculator, there's something very wrong with your windows install.

It's not a particularly uncommon issue, and it works in some situations, though in others is blank--strange, no other program or app does this.

Assuming this is directed to me, my calculator works fine. A repair installation didn't remedy the problem, so I decided it's probably not particularly serious. I might try manually reinstalling the Edge app package (I've done this in the past for certain apps), though it's a particularly tightly-baked package, or see if the situation changes with the reissue of Edge as a Chronium browser. App graphics breaking is actually not an uncommon issue, though usually they're corrected by simply "cycling" the icon itself in the properties menu or elsewhere.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Since no one else commented, I'm going to assume it's not "something very wrong."

Another minor question: has anyone else gotten any non-generic icons in their "Printers and Devices" panel in the Control Panel? I only have one for my HP printer, of all things. On my Surface Pro it's my Arc Mouse that shows up "properly".

It's another (minor) step backwards, from when Windows actually let itself load "realistic" device icons. That got cut from Windows 10 early on, I think. Completely cosmetic, but eh, I liked them more than the generic uninformative icons.

(Or, if you're like me and wasted two hours in the morning tooling around with it, has anyone had any luck using the Metadata Authoring tool?)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If you type in "control printers" from a run dialog, you're saying all you're seeing is generic printer icons?

Man what the fuck is going on with your Windows install?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    If you type in "control printers" from a run dialog, you're saying all you're seeing is generic printer icons?

What? No. I was asking if in the control panel, the icon art for connected devices show generic or unique icons (they used to be called "enhanced icons" in Windows 7 parlance).

All of mine are generic (as in, a generic monitor, a generic keyboard, a generic HID mouse), excluding one non-generic printer which is an icon of my HP printer.

What does "Control Printers" have anything to do with? Or the run dialogue box? What's "Control Printers"?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

What? No. I was asking if in the control panel, the icon art for connected devices show generic or unique icons (they used to be called "enhanced icons" in Windows 7 parlance).

All of mine are generic (as in, a generic monitor, a generic keyboard, a generic HID mouse), excluding one non-generic printer which is an icon of my HP printer.

What does "Control Printers" have anything to do with? Or the run dialogue box? What's "Control Printers"?

If you press Win+R, then type "control printers" you get the old Control Panel style window that shows your printers and other devices connected to the computer. Most of the connected devices will just show up as generic boxes. Some show up duplicated because Windows is weird. Printers will usually show up as an icon that looks vaguely like the connected device unless you use the generic Windows drivers. Which is what I use because, while Brother printers are built like tanks, their software is shit.

Going to throw my dialog up here for example. You can see a bunch of generic icons for stuff on the list like my Sonos speakers, TV, and duplicate entries for my mouse and keyboard because, again, Windows is weird.
    enor8541137b.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    In other words, yours looks very similar to mine. I have one unique icon, for my HP Printer, but that's it. Scratch that, one other one for a dumb feature installed by Quicken--Spreadsheet-to-PDF printing--and probably because Quicken actually used the Metadata Authoring software.

You can manually change it (I played around with the tool, which is part of the Windows Development Kit), but it's tedious even by my standards, and there's always the risk of braking something.

Too bad. Aside from the aesthetic difference, having every single wireless controller, gamepad, and my HOTAS show up as a generic gamepad icon kind of fails for useful icon implementation.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hey, question for technical people: when I click the shortcut in the windows explorer file tree to the downloads folder the first time after a reboot (I think that's the condition anyway), it takes a good 30s to a minute to load the contents even though it's all on an SSD and it loads pretty much instantly when I open the same downloads folder in explorer by clicking the folder icon next to a completed download inside firefox's downloads menu. Why is that?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Probably indexing/thumbnail related. Every new update I just expect that they reset something back to default.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    So apparently Skype replaced the "Launch at startup" button with "Show on system tray at launchup" and launches by default after the latest update
    So I uninstalled Skype since I couldn't find a "Don't launch this" at all....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Can you still kill it in the Startup tab of Task Manager?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I don't know, but you shouldn't have to. I am sure you can kill it somewhere somehow, but uninstalling is the right move.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I just use the staup applications menu to choose what I want to start? In use it to disable Steam, iTunes, etc.

• Options
    I thought that disabling it in the system tray (under General) meant that it quit when it closed (starting the app again does bring back the splash screen), nor would it come back up on startup.

The task manager seems to indicate as much, unless it's really hidden.

• Options
    marvel at my devices screen!
    3nb0hl1kr8k4.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    See, someone understood my question. I bet you don't think my calculator app is broken either.

That aside, it looks like nongeneric icons for your printer, your old Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver (hi-5 for that, BTW), your Logitech camera, and your monitor (which is the most surprising). It's not much of an "improvement"--eh, I couldn't get the Metadata Authoring Software to actually work (nevermind the fact that you'd actually need to supply the icons, with a half-dozen visual assets encoded properly per ICO file), it's a pain in the ass even if it did work.

• Options
    Wouldn't that be vendor responsibility? put the icons in?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Probably. Windows 7 had specific toggle-able options to enable or disable "enhanced" icons (as they put it). Consider Microsoft has been trying to retire the actual Control Panel in favor of a new settings panel, this might be all deliberate. In any case, aside from aesthetic preference, it's really not useful to have four controller devices--which previously would've each had a unique icon--all show up as the same generic "game controller" from their icons. Or every printer a generic. Every monitor, etc.

Fortunately, their names still show up (if no other information, typically). It's hard to say if the information is missing, or Windows instead favors its own generic information instead. The system still largely works in Windows 7 and 8.1, from what I understand.

So, in other words, "Metadata."

• Options
    For those of you still using Windows 7 and/or 8.1, and also using Windows Media Player, Microsoft is discontinuing the service that provides metadata in that app.

They say it's because usage has dropped so low it's not worth paying the license fee, but it's still a shitty move to do, especially on win7, which has less than one year of support left. Why not just keep the metadata service until support expires?