As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    For those of you still using Windows 7 and/or 8.1, and also using Windows Media Player, Microsoft is discontinuing the service that provides metadata in that app.

They say it's because usage has dropped so low it's not worth paying the license fee, but it's still a shitty move to do, especially on win7, which has less than one year of support left. Why not just keep the metadata service until support expires?

Buy Windows 10!

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    For those of you still using Windows 7 and/or 8.1, and also using Windows Media Player, Microsoft is discontinuing the service that provides metadata in that app.

They say it's because usage has dropped so low it's not worth paying the license fee, but it's still a shitty move to do, especially on win7, which has less than one year of support left. Why not just keep the metadata service until support expires?

Buy Windows 10!

Seriously. Windows 7 is coming up on its 10-year anniversary. New retail copies haven't been available for nearly 5 years.

I'm pretty sure you can still do the free upgrade.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I don't disagree, but like, why not just keep a service available on a supported OS until the OS is no longer supported?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If you're using Windows Media Player you know what you did

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Media Player gets into some weird memory issues with large libraries anyway. It's ancient, let it die.

Media Monkey is a great replacement.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The last time I used WMP was because of some networking/file sharing thing about a decade ago where I wanted to stream videos from my PC onto my 360 in a different room. Then it turns out I didn't need WMP to do it. I only ever run it if I accidentally click on the icon (before deleting it). I still use Media Player Classic even though it's no longer supported.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The last time I used WMP was because of some networking/file sharing thing about a decade ago where I wanted to stream videos from my PC onto my 360 in a different room. Then it turns out I didn't need WMP to do it. I only ever run it if I accidentally click on the icon (before deleting it). I still use Media Player Classic even though it's no longer supported.

I think I remember that. Didn't your media have to be in your WMP library and it had to be XP Media Center Edition or something like that? And it still didn't work most of the time?

• Options
    Yeah. It was something like that. Turned out that I only needed to enable file sharing and then tag the correct folder(s).

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I use Windows Media Player for music because I want a music player that will play MP3s and do literally nothing else.

• Options
    Not sure if serious.

• Options
    I actually used WMP religiously until a couple years ago. when all I needed was "double click a video" and it plays in a player, WMP was 100% fine. I never used it to manage giant libraries of media, it was just a "play this file" player.

Honestly the only reason I stopped using it is because my desktop is on insider and there was a while that every build would reset the default apps and at some point I gave up changing the default every week.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I basically switched to MPC because WMP had just became so bloated as a program. If it wasn't so convenient and easy I'd probably still be using WinAMP for music.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    that's weird because WMP could never play any of my video files.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The last time I used Windows Media Player proper was when I first got an Android phone, and I needed a way to sync my music, and just dropping my music onto the phone isn't fucking syncing. But it wasn't great for that option either.

My primary media player, and since my PC is permanently hooked into my living room TV in the next room, is Media Player Classic x64, which is one of the most flexible, play-anything-even-Apple-shit-from-15-years-ago players out there. The interface could use some work, but that's true about VLC as well. I use MusicBee for organizing my music and syncing.

• Options
    that's weird because WMP could never play any of my video files.

they added support for .mkv files in I think Windows 8,

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My buddy has a Windows Edge problem I don't know how to solve.

Every time he tried to go to Google Drive, Edge takes him to his old school's coursework website. His computer does not have the space for Google Chrome. I don't know really know edge. Why would edge redirect him and how do I remove it? I told him to round up his passwords in preparation for a cookies wipe.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Every time he tried to go to Google Drive, Edge takes him to his old school's coursework website. His computer does not have the space for Google Chrome. I don't know really know edge. Why would edge redirect him and how do I remove it? I told him to round up his passwords in preparation for a cookies wipe.

Clear the cookies, history, everything.

Do a drive clean, remove all system files.

I'm still trying to figure out how he doesn't have enough room for Chrome.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Clear the cookies, history, everything.

Do a drive clean, remove all system files.

I'm still trying to figure out how he doesn't have enough room for Chrome.

His computer and car are ancient. I'd rather not pry.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I basically switched to MPC because WMP had just became so bloated as a program. If it wasn't so convenient and easy I'd probably still be using WinAMP for music.

Does MPC work with the Media Keys? That's been my biggest annoyance when using various web based players. None of them use those keys so if want to pause or switch tracks I have to jump out of whatever program I'm in.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Windows 7 holdout here. Had streaming video/music problems, tried to reinstall Windows 7, got big driver issues. Brought into the shop, they can't get the drivers to work either--on Windows 7.

I've avoided Windows 10 because of various things I've heard about issues with games, built in-spyware, my being change adverse, etc, but between this, and the lack of support next year, it seems like I'm stuck. Is there any future for Windows 7? Should I try 8, as annoying as it is? Thanks.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    I don't know what Media Keys is. But I've never had a serious issue with media playback in MPC. I also install the latest CCCP, but that's probably not even necessary.

Hell, there are probably other freeware media players around. I just never had any issue with MPC.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Windows 7 holdout here. Had streaming video/music problems, tried to reinstall Windows 7, got big driver issues. Brought into the shop, they can't get the drivers to work either--on Windows 7.

I've avoided Windows 10 because of various things I've heard about issues with games, built in-spyware, my being change adverse, etc, but between this, and the lack of support next year, it seems like I'm stuck. Is there any future for Windows 7? Should I try 8, as annoying as it is? Thanks.

If you're gonna make the plunge into modern Windows then all the bad shit between 8 and 10 is fairly similar, but 10 is a lot more like 7 than 8 is.

There's ways to disable telemetry, I haven't had many issues with games.

I don't recommend 8 to any W7 holdouts whatsoever. 10 is a far better OS.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Media Keys are actual buttons on your keyboard to play, pause etc your media.

You can write/find a autohotkey script to make them work if they do not natively. I don't know about MPC.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Oh. When I bother to remember I have them, they work just fine.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    FYI, a lot of the time when media keys aren't working, the root cause is that there is another application that is capturing the media key events and gobbling them up.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

If you're gonna make the plunge into modern Windows then all the bad shit between 8 and 10 is fairly similar, but 10 is a lot more like 7 than 8 is.

There's ways to disable telemetry, I haven't had many issues with games.

I don't recommend 8 to any W7 holdouts whatsoever. 10 is a far better OS.

Thanks!

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    this guy:
    No it’s pretty innocuous. Maybe because I haven’t futzed around with the settings too much, but by default Windows loads in generic pretty image.

Few weekes ago now they are running intersparsed little links before you enter ypur password, first it was trivia about the location, now it’s a blurb about netflix and games.

has he gotten some malware or is that an actual windows feature or future patch thing I just haven't seen?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    this guy:
    No it’s pretty innocuous. Maybe because I haven’t futzed around with the settings too much, but by default Windows loads in generic pretty image.

Few weekes ago now they are running intersparsed little links before you enter ypur password, first it was trivia about the location, now it’s a blurb about netflix and games.

has he gotten some malware or is that an actual windows feature or future patch thing I just haven't seen?

It's hard to say without more information. The windows 10 lockscreen/logon screen has a big splash screen with imagery updated by microsoft. It can also include little blurbs with information about the image or the subject matter contained therein.

It is possible that it is that, it is also possible that he has malware.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    apparently it is just the normal lock screen windows spotlight stuff that I guess I must have turned off right after installing win10 and never realized existed

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    apparently it is just the normal lock screen windows spotlight stuff that I guess I must have turned off right after installing win10 and never realized existed

It's not enabled by default in certain types of windows licenses. I'm not sure if it's turned on by default in pro or not.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

It's not enabled by default in certain types of windows licenses. I'm not sure if it's turned on by default in pro or not.

I've never seen it on Pro. But then I might turn it off somehow when I set up for the first time after a re-install.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the only bad thing about W10 that's actually real is the amount of data it gathers. But you can turn almost all of it off.
    I never had problems with gaming. I've started using 10 way back when it launched and I play a LOT of games on this computer... and I never had a better experience with Windows, from 3.1 up to now. Never been so long without reinstalling the whole thing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    There are other sins Windows 10 is guilty of. That being said, the DirectX API--and sort-of related software from third parties, not to mention driver and device support--have always been tied to progressive versions of Windows, which is now Windows 10. As the most recent version, it actively does certain things better which have an impact for gaming--like DirectX 12 support--much better than older versions.

It's also limited, though not as much as it probably should be given Microsoft's addiction to almost absurd levels of legacy software support, in terms of running older software. But so was Windows 7--in fact, I think it's really hard to find legacy gaming software that will run in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10 (and that's likely dependent on some very specific feature that only existed in Windows 7).

Some of the gaming flaws in Windows 10 are actually just inherited from 7 and 8.1. There are games that will run in Vista, and XP, but not 7. Which is a better argument for the desirability of a legacy gaming setup, rather than what should dictate MS's policy for Windows 10 as a ongoing product.

• Options
    the only bad thing about W10 that's actually real is the amount of data it gathers. But you can turn almost all of it off.
    I never had problems with gaming. I've started using 10 way back when it launched and I play a LOT of games on this computer... and I never had a better experience with Windows, from 3.1 up to now. Never been so long without reinstalling the whole thing.

the best part of this: They've been doing data collection of this type since Vista. Data collection of some fashion dates back to Windows 2000.

10 collects almost the same amount of data as 8.x did, except for version specific stuff (i.e. there's no cortana data collection in 8.x because that didn't exist then).

Yes, it's true that it was easier to turn off in 8.x and earlier... if you knew where to do that. I'd argue that Microsoft is actually more transparent with the data that it collects in Windows 10, and makes it easier to turn it off than they did in the past. the first version of Windows 10, 1507, wasn't like that, but the current version, 1809, is.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is there a way to make pinned icons on the taskbar require double clicking to launch? I am constantly accidentally starting very slow programs that take forever to spin up and then close again.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I don't see one. Maybe look for a mod or hide the taskbar.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Is there a way to make pinned icons on the taskbar require double clicking to launch? I am constantly accidentally starting very slow programs that take forever to spin up and then close again.

No.

• Options
    Remember how I was complaining a few weeks ago about how Microsoft Edge was missing its icon in the Start Menu/taskbar? And how some people advised me to immediately burn my computer on a holy alter and salt the ashes?

At some point the icon came back. I have no idea why. It wasn't anything I did, so presumably, it was something changed in an update.

That's Windows 10 for you.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

No.

Foiled again

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

No.

Foiled again

Maybe take them off the taskbar altogether and make a tile in the Start menu for them? So still easily amd quickly accessible with just a couple of clicks but much harder to hit by accident.