As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

1246754

Posts

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I have no idea why someone who is avoiding Win10 would want to use 8.1.

    The desktop is almost exactly the same as in 7, and it lasts three years longer than 7 before security patches stop. It's also more likely to have better compatibility with newer hardware.

    Synthesis
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I have no idea why someone who is avoiding Win10 would want to use 8.1.

    The desktop is almost exactly the same as in 7, and it lasts three years longer than 7 before security patches stop. It's also more likely to have better compatibility with newer hardware.

    These things are also all true of Windows 10?

    Anyone who would bother to install Classic Shell or Start8 would be able to disable all the telemetry if wanted.

    Stormwatcher
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I have no idea why someone who is avoiding Win10 would want to use 8.1.

    The desktop is almost exactly the same as in 7, and it lasts three years longer than 7 before security patches stop. It's also more likely to have better compatibility with newer hardware.

    These things are also all true of Windows 10?

    Anyone who would bother to install Classic Shell or Start8 would be able to disable all the telemetry if wanted.

    Windows 10 mucks with the desktop experience more, though. The new version of the start menu is just as easy to replace as the start screen, true, but there isn't any way to revert the notification center as far as I'm aware.

    Windows 10 also has way shorter support cycles than 7 or 8.1. Both of them will last for 10 years, while Windows 10 will only last for a half a year at most before you're forced to switch to whatever the latest version that Microsoft is currently pushing is. I know exactly what Windows 8.1 is going to look like in 2022, but I have no clue what Windows 10 is going to look like. That is pretty much the opposite of reassuring, especially since the forced upgrade model makes any sort of Windows 8-style backlash impossible.

  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I have no idea why someone who is avoiding Win10 would want to use 8.1.

    The desktop is almost exactly the same as in 7, and it lasts three years longer than 7 before security patches stop. It's also more likely to have better compatibility with newer hardware.

    These things are also all true of Windows 10?

    Anyone who would bother to install Classic Shell or Start8 would be able to disable all the telemetry if wanted.

    Windows 10 mucks with the desktop experience more, though. The new version of the start menu is just as easy to replace as the start screen, true, but there isn't any way to revert the notification center as far as I'm aware.

    Windows 10 also has way shorter support cycles than 7 or 8.1. Both of them will last for 10 years, while Windows 10 will only last for a half a year at most before you're forced to switch to whatever the latest version that Microsoft is currently pushing is. I know exactly what Windows 8.1 is going to look like in 2022, but I have no clue what Windows 10 is going to look like. That is pretty much the opposite of reassuring, especially since the forced upgrade model makes any sort of Windows 8-style backlash impossible.

    I consider this a good thing. If I wanted to use the same desktop for a decade, I'd be on Debian Stable :P

    None of the Win10 patch changes so far have been especially radical, and I definitely prefer the rolling upgrade model to the "maybe you'll get a service pack in 2 years that cleans up the worst issues" model they had going before.

    ElkiStormwatcher
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Windows 10 is going to be easily rejected! Adding a great new feature, "decline free offer" button. And the X will decline too!

    I have no idea why everyone's complaining. They got this feature added a whole month before the free upgrade ends!

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Windows 10 is going to be easily rejected! Adding a great new feature, "decline free offer" button. And the X will decline too!

    I have no idea why everyone's complaining. They got this feature added a whole month before the free upgrade ends!

    And it only took someone successfully suing Microsoft to get it added.

    ShadowfireDizzenIncenjucar
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Been reading a lot of spaz about that whole "click X to decline" thing all day. Like... did nobody bother to read what that one window said? "We scheduled your update this at this point. Take this action to cancel or reschedule." Granted, "conditioning" people to assume that closing the window was "opting out" was kind of disingenuous, still. Read prompts, don't assume!

    I kind of wonder how the post-free pricing will work as far as educational discounts for students and the like. Would someone think that year period of urgent appeals to get it for free mean that they won't offer the discount any more?

    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Been reading a lot of spaz about that whole "click X to decline" thing all day. Like... did nobody bother to read what that one window said? "We scheduled your update this at this point. Take this action to cancel or reschedule." Granted, "conditioning" people to assume that closing the window was "opting out" was kind of disingenuous, still. Read prompts, don't assume!

    Prior to last month, the upgrade window only had two buttons, Upgrade Now or Upgrade Later. Clicking the [X] on this window did neither of those actions and canceled the installation.

    Microsoft then changed the behavior so the upgrade was automatically scheduled without your input, so there was only one OK button that accepted the scheduled update. They also added 2 links to the window, Upgrade Now and one to reschedule the update. However, if you clicked the [X] it no longer stopped anything, so the upgrade would be installed as scheduled, just like clicking the OK button.

    They've now changed the behavior again to give you an Upgrade Now, Choose Time, and Decline Upgrade options where the [X] is now equivalent to Decline.

    SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Stormwatcher
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It didnt cancel the installation because the installation was never initiated. It closed the window prompting you to choose between upgrading now or upgrading later.

    For a period of time, the upgrader assigned a scheduled date and time to do the upgrade, and only by interacting with the prompts within the window itself and choosing to cancel/reschedule the upgrade did it cancel that scheduled upgrade. That was the "trap" they set; the upgrade was opt-out for a period of time, and closing the window and not interacting with its content was a tacit acceptance of the upgrade.

    However, I am not going to argue the semantic dfferences here too. If you feel that the action of clicking "X" to close a window was cancelling, then that's absolutely okay. Users blindly taking actions based off assumptions and being surprised at the outcome is still the thing that occured.

    Edit: this doesnt make what they did any less exploitative of user ignorance, natch.

    tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The big issue people had is that until May, users clicking the red X had it cancel the upgrade, in that it was never performed. Than, without any notice, microsof tchange the behaviour of the red X to mean that by doing so you are allowing the upgrade to happen.

    If it had behaved that way the whole time, I still would have hated it and thought it was borderline user-hostile, but at least it would have been consistent. But the fact that they silently changed it is where they *really* stepped over the line.

    I have been saying this across 2 threads now. Microsoft had a simple thing to do. Offer a window with either 2 or 3 choices. yes and no, or yes, no, and schedule for later. No should have been an equal size to yes.

    Would they have had as many people on Windows 10? probably not. But, generally, people are more upset about the forced upgrade than they are the actual operating system, and that is the problem.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Right, a "yes," "no," and and explicit cancel/defer would have been the better option for clear and succinct user interactions.

    I imagine this will be a teaching case in how not to UI for a while, especially given its ethically murky connotations.

    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    However, I am not going to argue the semantic dfferences here too. If you feel that the action of clicking "X" to close a window was cancelling, then that's absolutely okay. Users blindly taking actions based off assumptions and being surprised at the outcome is still the thing that occured.

    Edit: this doesnt make what they did any less exploitative of user ignorance, natch.

    Clicking "X" on any window closes it. That's what... 24 years of Windows use? People have been trained to know that. Making the "X" do something else is what malware creators do.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    tastydonutsRiokennDizzenkimeMolybdenumStormwatcherIncenjucar
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Cant pull the links as Im posting from my phone, but I read that MS is offering a free vanilla gen 1 Xbox One ($299 model) with the purchase of a Surface Pro 4 ($899 USD model or better?).

    Also they are discontinuing the SP3 line.

    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Howdy. I've been dodging the Windows 10 upgrade for 10-11 months now. The deadline for the free upgrade is approaching, no? Is it sometime in July?

    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Howdy. I've been dodging the Windows 10 upgrade for 10-11 months now. The deadline for the free upgrade is approaching, no? Is it sometime in July?

    the 29th of July, but I wouldn't leave it to the last couple days just incase things go hairy.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    IoloSynthesis
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    If you've been dodging it for a reason, bear in mind that the entitlement is hardware-based, and permanent. If you upgrade, verify that it's activated, and then downgrade, you can upgrade for real whenever you want at no cost.

    tastydonuts
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Also if you run into problems and want to do a clean format (AFTER THE UPGRADE) and install of Windows 10, Microsoft will remember your motherboard and you can do a clean install without having to worry about a cd key.

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Just got a new Windows 10 system. It feels like one of those videogames that starts you off fighting a boss from halfway through the game.

    Might as well check out stuff for an hour or so before I wipe it and install 8.1. I'm curious as to whether this thing will work: https://github.com/charlesmilette/SearchWithMyBrowser

    edit: Hah, it does! I think I'll go ahead and set up Firefox, to see if I can get Cortana fully redirected to Google.

    edit: Yep, searches are getting directed to Google fine. Now to see what else I can mess around with...

    edit: Classic Shell! Because just because a Windows installation won't last for another hour, that doesn't mean that the built-in start menu should be allowed to exist.

    edit: And I think I'm done. Time to wipe everything.

    edit: Oh right, think I'll go through an update and see if the telemetry service remains disabled.

    edit: Looks like the Windows Feedback app requires DiagTrack to be running to show the lists of submitted feedback. Went ahead and submitted feedback suggesting that it be fully incorporated into the app itself, so that people who have manually disabled DiagTrack can still use the app. Someone else will have to tell me whether it gets any upvotes, since I'm turning DiagTrack off again now.

    edit: Huh, it works fine now. I'd delete the feedback, but Windows Feedback is too much of a piece of shit to let me be able to do that.

    edit: Put in feedback about needing to be able to delete our own feedback.

    edit: The installer for 8.1 has a little checkbox asking me if I want to help make the installation of Windows better. The checkbox starts out unchecked. I'm starting to feel even better about my decision.

    edit: Something Happened!

    jothki on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    edit: Currently booting from the CD, hopefully that will work.

    edit: Whoops, that wasn't an edit.

    edit: Done. Sort of. I've gotten Classic Shell, Firefox, and Steam set up, updated my drivers, and made some registry tweaks. Now all I need to do is download and install a bajillion updates.

    jothki on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So I am finally getting around to upgrading my wife's Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10. I click the little Windows icon in the taskbar and click "Upgrade Now". Currently, the "Get Windows 10" window just says "Restarting PC" with the circling dots animation playing. This seems to be taking a while.

    My question is, should this be taking so long? Is it downloading the Windows 10 install in the background or something? I figure when it says restarting, it would restart about as quickly as other programs do when they force a restart.

    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'd let it go for awhile.

    And then if that fails download it onto a USB stick and do it that way, instead.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'd let it go for awhile.

    And then if that fails download it onto a USB stick and do it that way, instead.

    No. Do not do that. Your PC won't be licensed for Windows 10 unless you do the in place upgrade from 7.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'd let it go for awhile.

    And then if that fails download it onto a USB stick and do it that way, instead.

    No. Do not do that. Your PC won't be licensed for Windows 10 unless you do the in place upgrade from 7.

    Really? I've just done 2 fresh Windows 10 installations with an 8 key and a 7 key. Will they not be permanent upgrades?

  • übergeekübergeek Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'd let it go for awhile.

    And then if that fails download it onto a USB stick and do it that way, instead.

    No. Do not do that. Your PC won't be licensed for Windows 10 unless you do the in place upgrade from 7.

    Really? I've just done 2 fresh Windows 10 installations with an 8 key and a 7 key. Will they not be permanent upgrades?

    I could have sworn that I read that they changed it so you can just put the keys in and it will apply, provided you can connect online, or that you have a Microsoft account, which I think was already one of the factors you needed for the licensing part of it.

    camo_sig.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    no, you're both correct. I forgot about that change. My bad.

    Though I will be interested to see how that works after the free upgrade period ends. Presumably that won't continue to work. Existing authenticated licenses should be fine (inculding if you want to re-install windows), but shoudln't be able to happen for new installs.

    wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Update on my situation:

    Left the screen running for a bit, came back eventually to check on it. Still there, but Windows had the little shutdown update notification. I checked Windows Update and it finally had the "Prepare to Upgrade To Windows 10" option. I clicked on that and it started downloading (or redownloading, I'm not sure) Windows 10.

    Late at night, it was stuck on the same percentage of preparing to install, so I just left it and went to bed. When I woke up this morning, I checked and the upgrade had gone through successfully. Thanks for the advice of just letting it run.

    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So, I'm finally doing the big upgrade. For realsies this time.

    Is there anything I should do immediately after upgrading form Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I'm familiar with the obvious stuff (configure Cortana if you're going to use it or not), rebuild all my tiles, reinstall all my WIndows 8.1 apps that are available, etc.--anyone have any "must dos" in terms of system settings, privacy settings, etc?

    Semi-related: In as much as I don't intend to revert, can I go ahead and use AOEMI to remove the new 450 mb partition? As I understand it, Windows creates a partition every time you upgrade your system, so you might as well remove it?

    Synthesis on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, I'm finally doing the big upgrade. For realsies this time.

    Is there anything I should do immediately after upgrading form Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I'm familiar with the obvious stuff (configure Cortana if you're going to use it or not), rebuild all my tiles, reinstall all my WIndows 8.1 apps that are available, etc.--anyone have any "must dos" in terms of system settings, privacy settings, etc?

    I will never not recommend Classic Shell.

    Telemetry-wise, the lowest you can get from the initial setup is the moderately high setting. If you want the one that is the least highly intrusive, you'll have to set it afterwards.

    If you're using OneDrive, I believe that it's set by default to let the web client browse through the entire file structure of any connected Windows 10 systems. If you're not going to want to do this yourself, it feels like it would be a massive security hole to keep enabled.

    Are you going to want to use the lock screen? There's a registry edit that can get rid of it if you just want to always go straight to the password entry, it's pretty easy to find if you look for it online.

    jothki on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, I'm finally doing the big upgrade. For realsies this time.

    Is there anything I should do immediately after upgrading form Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I'm familiar with the obvious stuff (configure Cortana if you're going to use it or not), rebuild all my tiles, reinstall all my WIndows 8.1 apps that are available, etc.--anyone have any "must dos" in terms of system settings, privacy settings, etc?

    I will never not recommend Classic Shell.

    Telemetry-wise, the lowest you can get from the initial setup is the moderately high setting. If you want the one that is the least highly intrusive, you'll have to set it afterwards.

    If you're using OneDrive, I believe that it's set by default to let the web client browse through the entire file structure of any connected Windows 10 systems. If you're not going to want to do this yourself, it feels like it would be a massive security hole to keep enabled.

    Are you going to want to use the lock screen? There's a registry edit that can get rid of it if you just want to always go straight to the password entry, it's pretty easy to find if you look for it online.

    This is what I was looking for, thank you.

    I don't need Classic Shell (though it sounds like a very good recommendation)--I have Start10, and I've also become increasingly disenchanted with the WIndows 7 layout start menu so I'll give the 10 start menu layout for a while (Start10 also does the same thing, except it's not free, but I already bought it a while back).

    I've disabled a few of the telemetry functions, but I have most of them enabled since I use Cortana.

    That's good to know about OneDrive--I make a lot of use of it since way back in Windows 7 (especially since I have +1TB free as an early adopter). I'll need to configure that.

    Lock screen wise, that sounds attractive, but I've got my PC set so that it never logs out unless I'm restarting the PC, so I enter my password once a day (or however many times I need to restart). Still could be a useful mod, I'll check it out.

    The fact that you're still limited to four medium tiles in each group horizontally sucks, as does the insistence on round icons (ended up changing mine to photo of downtown Taipei, because it's not 1912 and photo portraits in circles suck), but I'll learn to live with that. Almost all my game shortcuts work through Cortana, except weirdly enough some of my GOG games like Crusader: No Remorese.

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, I'm finally doing the big upgrade. For realsies this time.

    Is there anything I should do immediately after upgrading form Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I'm familiar with the obvious stuff (configure Cortana if you're going to use it or not), rebuild all my tiles, reinstall all my WIndows 8.1 apps that are available, etc.--anyone have any "must dos" in terms of system settings, privacy settings, etc?

    I will never not recommend Classic Shell.

    Telemetry-wise, the lowest you can get from the initial setup is the moderately high setting. If you want the one that is the least highly intrusive, you'll have to set it afterwards.

    If you're using OneDrive, I believe that it's set by default to let the web client browse through the entire file structure of any connected Windows 10 systems. If you're not going to want to do this yourself, it feels like it would be a massive security hole to keep enabled.

    Are you going to want to use the lock screen? There's a registry edit that can get rid of it if you just want to always go straight to the password entry, it's pretty easy to find if you look for it online.

    This is what I was looking for, thank you.

    I don't need Classic Shell (though it sounds like a very good recommendation)--I have Start10, and I've also become increasingly disenchanted with the WIndows 7 layout start menu so I'll give the 10 start menu layout for a while (Start10 also does the same thing, except it's not free, but I already bought it a while back).

    I've disabled a few of the telemetry functions, but I have most of them enabled since I use Cortana.

    That's good to know about OneDrive--I make a lot of use of it since way back in Windows 7 (especially since I have +1TB free as an early adopter). I'll need to configure that.

    Lock screen wise, that sounds attractive, but I've got my PC set so that it never logs out unless I'm restarting the PC, so I enter my password once a day (or however many times I need to restart). Still could be a useful mod, I'll check it out.

    The fact that you're still limited to four medium tiles in each group horizontally sucks, as does the insistence on round icons (ended up changing mine to photo of downtown Taipei, because it's not 1912 and photo portraits in circles suck), but I'll learn to live with that. Almost all my game shortcuts work through Cortana, except weirdly enough some of my GOG games like Crusader: No Remorese.

    I might have considered using the Windows 10 start screen if the tiles could be arranged in a 1 or 2-wide column. If I'm just going to be having three or four tiles there having them all be in a single row just looks completely absurd.

    The menu is actually really close to being something that's even better than the Windows 7 one. All they need is to loosen up on the group sizes, and then add a "link" tile size that's just a link. The left side of the menu would then just initially be a column of "link" tiles. From there, users could do whatever they want. They could make two columns of "links", for something that looks like the Windows 7 menu but can be freely rearranged. They could keep the same setup as the default menu. They could keep all of the system shortcuts as links, but then add tiny square tiles on top of them for pinned things. They could even convert absolutely everything into tiles, including the system shortcuts and commands.

    Sadly, Microsoft seems to be too obsessed with having everything work their way to be willing to do that. They're even dragging it in the opposite direction, locking the left side into always being the completely unmanipulable All Apps list.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, I'm finally doing the big upgrade. For realsies this time.

    Is there anything I should do immediately after upgrading form Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I'm familiar with the obvious stuff (configure Cortana if you're going to use it or not), rebuild all my tiles, reinstall all my WIndows 8.1 apps that are available, etc.--anyone have any "must dos" in terms of system settings, privacy settings, etc?

    I will never not recommend Classic Shell.

    Telemetry-wise, the lowest you can get from the initial setup is the moderately high setting. If you want the one that is the least highly intrusive, you'll have to set it afterwards.

    If you're using OneDrive, I believe that it's set by default to let the web client browse through the entire file structure of any connected Windows 10 systems. If you're not going to want to do this yourself, it feels like it would be a massive security hole to keep enabled.

    Are you going to want to use the lock screen? There's a registry edit that can get rid of it if you just want to always go straight to the password entry, it's pretty easy to find if you look for it online.

    This is what I was looking for, thank you.

    I don't need Classic Shell (though it sounds like a very good recommendation)--I have Start10, and I've also become increasingly disenchanted with the WIndows 7 layout start menu so I'll give the 10 start menu layout for a while (Start10 also does the same thing, except it's not free, but I already bought it a while back).

    I've disabled a few of the telemetry functions, but I have most of them enabled since I use Cortana.

    That's good to know about OneDrive--I make a lot of use of it since way back in Windows 7 (especially since I have +1TB free as an early adopter). I'll need to configure that.

    Lock screen wise, that sounds attractive, but I've got my PC set so that it never logs out unless I'm restarting the PC, so I enter my password once a day (or however many times I need to restart). Still could be a useful mod, I'll check it out.

    The fact that you're still limited to four medium tiles in each group horizontally sucks, as does the insistence on round icons (ended up changing mine to photo of downtown Taipei, because it's not 1912 and photo portraits in circles suck), but I'll learn to live with that. Almost all my game shortcuts work through Cortana, except weirdly enough some of my GOG games like Crusader: No Remorese.

    I might have considered using the Windows 10 start screen if the tiles could be arranged in a 1 or 2-wide column. If I'm just going to be having three or four tiles there having them all be in a single row just looks completely absurd.

    The menu is actually really close to being something that's even better than the Windows 7 one. All they need is to loosen up on the group sizes, and then add a "link" tile size that's just a link. The left side of the menu would then just initially be a column of "link" tiles. From there, users could do whatever they want. They could make two columns of "links", for something that looks like the Windows 7 menu but can be freely rearranged. They could keep the same setup as the default menu. They could keep all of the system shortcuts as links, but then add tiny square tiles on top of them for pinned things. They could even convert absolutely everything into tiles, including the system shortcuts and commands.

    Sadly, Microsoft seems to be too obsessed with having everything work their way to be willing to do that. They're even dragging it in the opposite direction, locking the left side into always being the completely unmanipulable All Apps list.

    It's not really a secret that for the last 10 years, they've moved more and more away from customization options to become more Apple like (in other words, "Do it our way, or fuck you, you tasteless hack.") especially in aesthetic options. In Windows 8.1, I had an awesome arrangement for my games library that let me get constant updates through Pin More just with a glance--but it looks rather dumb when arranged vertically, as well as being less convenient (unless my next monitor ratio is 3:6 or something). But that's just how things work.

    Incenjucar
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Just remembered another useful tweak. If you've turned on web searches through the search box, and want to redirect search requests to another browser (and from there, to whatever search provider you want using that browser's tools), use this: https://github.com/charlesmilette/SearchWithMyBrowser. It's a tiny utility that associates itself with the "microsoft-edge" protocol, and simply redirects any requests it receives to the default browser instead.

    SmokeStacks
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Just remembered another useful tweak. If you've turned on web searches through the search box, and want to redirect search requests to another browser (and from there, to whatever search provider you want using that browser's tools), use this: https://github.com/charlesmilette/SearchWithMyBrowser. It's a tiny utility that associates itself with the "microsoft-edge" protocol, and simply redirects any requests it receives to the default browser instead.

    That is pretty handy. As it stands, I use the search just for local stuff on my PC, but as much as I hate it, Chrome is definitely my preferred browser to Edge.

  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    We don't get cortana in Brazil yet,
    so search is for apps only, I turned off the web option
    So I've been using Vivaldi as browser, it looks gorgeous, is compatible with the Google addon store and is lighter than Chrome.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I've complained extensively about Chrome in the past (especially when it decides to break on this little website called www.google.com ), and how much I hate it.

    As such, I actually have Vivaldi installed (and my apps working on it). But like an idiot, I go back to Chrome

  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Vivaldi runs on Blink, the same rendering engine that Chrome uses. I'm extremely skeptical that it'll break less on google.com. Given that, I don't know why it'd be lighter on system resources either. At best it should be on par with Chrome.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Frem wrote: »
    Vivaldi runs on Blink, the same rendering engine that Chrome uses. I'm extremely skeptical that it'll break less on google.com. Given that, I don't know why it'd be lighter on system resources either. At best it should be on par with Chrome.

    My Chrome installation once again broke on Google.com--requiring I delete it's AppData folder (since that is literally the only way to fix it, since Chrome support has no fucking idea what's causing it either).

    It's entirely possible Vivaldi would have the same issue. Though, to my knowledge, Vivalid does not the stupidest goddamn error message--"Ah, snap!"--in modern computing that appears every time Chrome breaks on that little-known website.

    Synthesis on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    To be fair "Ah, Snap" is about as helpful as most error messages. They're universally useless usually.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    To be fair "Ah, Snap" is about as helpful as most error messages. They're universally useless usually.

    But it's particularly fucking annoying.

    Nor does it include any sort of error code.

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Vivaldi runs on Blink, the same rendering engine that Chrome uses. I'm extremely skeptical that it'll break less on google.com. Given that, I don't know why it'd be lighter on system resources either. At best it should be on par with Chrome.

    My Chrome installation once again broke on Google.com--requiring I delete it's AppData folder (since that is literally the only way to fix it, since Chrome support has no fucking idea what's causing it either).

    It's entirely possible Vivaldi would have the same issue. Though, to my knowledge, Vivalid does not the stupidest goddamn error message--"Ah, snap!"--in modern computing that appears every time Chrome breaks on that little-known website.

    Have you tried the 64-bit version of chrome, by chance? I've found it to be far more stable.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
Sign In or Register to comment.