[Windows OS] Version 1604 - RIP Windows 7

1394041424345»

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Go to Settings -> Network & Internet. At the bottom is a Network Reset link. Hit that and hope for the best.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yup, restarted after each fix attempt
    and did the reset, nothing changed, either.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    update:
    i reverted windows to a restore point BEFORE installing Open Shell (classic start menu) and now everything is back to normal. I even like the win10 start menu better, anyway.

I'm pretty sure it broke something in the windows store and UWP apps.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Xeddicus
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I have a Windows 10 transfer question, hoping you folks can give me guidance on the best way to solve it.
    • I have a Dell PC with an M.2 nVME drive that has OEM Windows 10. This PC also came with a secondary platter HDD.
    • I have an iBUYPOWER PC with an empty M.2 nVME slot. This PC came with Windows 10 installed on a SATA SSD.

I'd like to do the following:
    1. Keep the existing Windows 10 license on the Dell by transferring it to the platter HDD.
    2. Take the M.2 nVME drive out of the Dell and install it in the iBUYPOWER.
    3. Transfer the existing Windows 10 license on the iBUYPOWER onto the new M.2 nVME drive.

What's the best way to go about doing this? And is there a way to do this without having to purchase extra software?

Thanks!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have a Windows 10 transfer question, hoping you folks can give me guidance on the best way to solve it.
    • I have a Dell PC with an M.2 nVME drive that has OEM Windows 10. This PC also came with a secondary platter HDD.
    • I have an iBUYPOWER PC with an empty M.2 nVME slot. This PC came with Windows 10 installed on a SATA SSD.

1. Keep the existing Windows 10 license on the Dell by transferring it to the platter HDD.
    3. Transfer the existing Windows 10 license on the iBUYPOWER onto the new M.2 nVME drive.

What's the best way to go about doing this? And is there a way to do this without having to purchase extra software?

Thanks!

The easiest way would be to just do fresh windows installs on both drives (make sure any relevant data is backed up).

Make sure that both copies are assigned to your microsoft account:
    Go to microsoft.com and log in. Click on the portrait in the top right and choose my account, then choose devices from the top. Make sure both computers show up there.

Download the microsoft media creation tool:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Follow the instructions to create a USB installer. Install the installer on a USB stick (4 gb or greater).

Move the drives, boot to the usb stick (will likely require a change to the boot order in the bios).

Follow the instructions to install windows. Windows should activate automatically.

StormwatcherInquisitor77ShadowfireFrem
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah just do fresh installs and it shouldn't be a problem. A windows 10 license isn't tied to a hard drive.

At the absolute absolute worst, you'll have to go through an automated phone activation with Microsoft. But the odds of it "just working" are about 99.990%

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Inquisitor77LD50Shadowfire
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Thanks!

The easiest way would be to just do fresh windows installs on both drives (make sure any relevant data is backed up).

Make sure that both copies are assigned to your microsoft account:
    Go to microsoft.com and log in. Click on the portrait in the top right and choose my account, then choose devices from the top. Make sure both computers show up there.

Download the microsoft media creation tool:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Follow the instructions to create a USB installer. Install the installer on a USB stick (4 gb or greater).

Move the drives, boot to the usb stick (will likely require a change to the boot order in the bios).

Follow the instructions to install windows. Windows should activate automatically.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yeah just do fresh installs and it shouldn't be a problem. A windows 10 license isn't tied to a hard drive.

At the absolute absolute worst, you'll have to go through an automated phone activation with Microsoft. But the odds of it "just working" are about 99.990%

Thank you!

I plan on giving away the Dell PC after I remove the M.2 nVME drive. Is there anything I should consider, such as removing the license from my account, prior to giving the machine away? Does that somehow invalidate the OEM license or does the person getting the PC get to re-attach the license to their Microsoft account?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

And there's always a 1% chance it won't work and they won't be able to help you. There are ways to fix that as long as your license is good.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter