As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - RIP Windows 7

14142434446

Posts

  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Hey, so I have kind of a weird issue going on. I just did a fresh install of Windows and in the course of doing that, I added my work email to the work/school account section in the settings. In doing so, I think it brought in some organizational stuff onto my computer that I can't seem to get rid of. I removed the account, but I think some stuff is still lingering. I've tried restarting multiple times after trying different things, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Most notably, they've mandated a minimum pin length requirement (6 vs the default 4). I've tried going into the local group settings and changing the minimum pin length there, but it doesn't seem to have been changed there and making changes myself to it doesn't remove the 6 long requirement. I'm almost tempted to just say fuck it and do another clean install of Windows, since all I've really done is just install a bunch of stuff and get some preferences setup how I like them, but it'd also mean a bunch more hours of doing all of that. Frankly, it's pretty annoying and has kind of ruined my afternoon. Anyone got any ideas?

    Edit: Also, contacted Windows support about it and their advice other than restarting the computer again was just "idk, make a local account and use that instead" which is basically a non-solution, in my opinion.

    Cleanest option is reinstall. You've turned your pc into a corporate device and various settings will now either be locked or will revert to match their corporate policy automatically. Many windows settings do not get reverted to default even if you remove it from corporate control, so good luck finding them all.

    When you reinstall, either skip the sign in step so you can create an actual local account, or if you do want to tie your stuff to MS, create a personal Microsoft account to use. Don't use company accounts on personal devices.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    FremShadowfire
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hey, so I have kind of a weird issue going on. I just did a fresh install of Windows and in the course of doing that, I added my work email to the work/school account section in the settings. In doing so, I think it brought in some organizational stuff onto my computer that I can't seem to get rid of. I removed the account, but I think some stuff is still lingering. I've tried restarting multiple times after trying different things, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Most notably, they've mandated a minimum pin length requirement (6 vs the default 4). I've tried going into the local group settings and changing the minimum pin length there, but it doesn't seem to have been changed there and making changes myself to it doesn't remove the 6 long requirement. I'm almost tempted to just say fuck it and do another clean install of Windows, since all I've really done is just install a bunch of stuff and get some preferences setup how I like them, but it'd also mean a bunch more hours of doing all of that. Frankly, it's pretty annoying and has kind of ruined my afternoon. Anyone got any ideas?

    Edit: Also, contacted Windows support about it and their advice other than restarting the computer again was just "idk, make a local account and use that instead" which is basically a non-solution, in my opinion.

    Cleanest option is reinstall. You've turned your pc into a corporate device and various settings will now either be locked or will revert to match their corporate policy automatically. Many windows settings do not get reverted to default even if you remove it from corporate control, so good luck finding them all.

    When you reinstall, either skip the sign in step so you can create an actual local account, or if you do want to tie your stuff to MS, create a personal Microsoft account to use. Don't use company accounts on personal devices.

    Well dang, guess I'm doing a reinstall.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    If you want to make sure you make a local account, make sure your pc isn't connected to the internet when you install Windows.

    Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    Shadowfire
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Just installed some new components and did a clean install of Windows. Now I'm getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT errors after a few minutes. It seems to be linked to Windows Update since it doesn't crash unless I am connected to the internet and trying to download updates. Link to the dump files is below. I don't know what to do with them, just read that they could be helpful.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HFsEehS3Udb1HkmJ90AvHVdx-CgYRF9o/view?usp=drivesdk

    Specs:
    ASRock B550 Phantom 4 motherboard (new)
    Ryzen 5 3600 (new)
    GTX1050ti
    Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3733Mhz 2x8GB (new)
    Crucial 250GB SSD
    EVGA 500w power supply

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    I haven't tried this before but see if you can download a consolidated update (or version update) via USB key and see if that fixes the problem.

    A quick Google suggests the following:

    Boot into Safe Mode w Networking and update drivers (Mobo, GPU at least)

    Update BIOS - at the least, confirm you have the latest version

  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I haven't tried this before but see if you can download a consolidated update (or version update) via USB key and see if that fixes the problem.

    A quick Google suggests the following:

    Boot into Safe Mode w Networking and update drivers (Mobo, GPU at least)

    Update BIOS - at the least, confirm you have the latest version

    That was gonna be my next step when I get home. The windows boot drive I'm using is pretty old. BIOS is updated. CPU drivers are up to date as well. I can get through the installation of GPU drivers but then it says it's not compatible with that version of Windows. I assume (and hope) that will resolve with the consolidated Windows Update. Just hoping it's not bad hardware.

    For what it's worth, it was also giving me the 100% disk usage problem as well but a second clean install resolved that. The blue screen was present both times.

    Edit: Came home and started making a new boot drive on my wife's computer. Started up mine just to have a look. Went into Windows Update and it said some things were ready to install. Interesting. Did the installation, restarted and then it started downloading more with no hiccups. I think it just decided to start working. I did change one thing in the BIOS but it was literally just turning off the logo splash screen. I can't imagine that affected anything. Computers are weird.

    SirToasty on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble with Windows not letting me pair a Xbox One controller via bluetooth. This started last week when the controller's batteries started dying. After replacing the batteries, the device wouldn't pair. Despite removing the remote from the bluetooth device list, I have a zombie device that shows up in the Control Panel -> Devices and Printers (see below). Occasionally, in device manager an "xbox controller" hidden device shows up under the bluetooth category.

    I believe the zombie device is part of my problem. I have tried a variety of solutions I have found online, from safe mode to powershell scripts, to registry edits. None of them have solved my problem.

    Does anyone have suggestions?

    (This was cross-posted to its own H/A thread)

    7vh81xque06f.png

  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with Windows not letting me pair a Xbox One controller via bluetooth. This started last week when the controller's batteries started dying. After replacing the batteries, the device wouldn't pair. Despite removing the remote from the bluetooth device list, I have a zombie device that shows up in the Control Panel -> Devices and Printers (see below). Occasionally, in device manager an "xbox controller" hidden device shows up under the bluetooth category.

    I believe the zombie device is part of my problem. I have tried a variety of solutions I have found online, from safe mode to powershell scripts, to registry edits. None of them have solved my problem.

    Does anyone have suggestions?

    (This was cross-posted to its own H/A thread)

    7vh81xque06f.png

    I feel like I had issues with this that were solved by changing my bluetooth receiver.

  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with Windows not letting me pair a Xbox One controller via bluetooth. This started last week when the controller's batteries started dying. After replacing the batteries, the device wouldn't pair. Despite removing the remote from the bluetooth device list, I have a zombie device that shows up in the Control Panel -> Devices and Printers (see below). Occasionally, in device manager an "xbox controller" hidden device shows up under the bluetooth category.

    I believe the zombie device is part of my problem. I have tried a variety of solutions I have found online, from safe mode to powershell scripts, to registry edits. None of them have solved my problem.

    Does anyone have suggestions?

    (This was cross-posted to its own H/A thread)

    7vh81xque06f.png

    I feel like I had issues with this that were solved by changing my bluetooth receiver.

    Oh, good idea. I had another Bluetooth receiver that I just tried. Same result. Interestingly, when I put the controller into pairing is when the Xbox controller device shows up in device manager.

    I suspect it has something to do with BT enumerator service. I see a registry key that matches the controller but i cannot delete it. Will have to try in safe mode.

  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I eventually gave up on using bluetooth in favor of just buying the xbox pc wireless adapter due to issues like that. Good luck.

  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Tried deleting in safe mode, no go. Controller can successfully pair to my phone. Phone can successfully pair to the computer. Controller still cannot pair to computer.

    Tried going through the registry looking for all references to the controllers mac address and deleting everything I found. Still no go. There is still the one stubborn key that gives me an error when I try to delete it.

    This is super frustrating. I don't want to reinstall windows just to use BT with this controller..

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There's a command line tool for bluetooth that's very third party but seems to work well. Instructions for your situation are here but I've never tried this myself.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    I eventually gave up on using bluetooth in favor of just buying the xbox pc wireless adapter due to issues like that. Good luck.

    The adapter also has noticeably lower latency on my machine; the difference was night and day in tight Hollow Knight fights. There's a reason so many wireless peripherals designed for desktop PCs come with non-bluetooth dongles.

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I eventually gave up on using bluetooth in favor of just buying the xbox pc wireless adapter due to issues like that. Good luck.

    The adapter also has noticeably lower latency on my machine; the difference was night and day in tight Hollow Knight fights. There's a reason so many wireless peripherals designed for desktop PCs come with non-bluetooth dongles.

    Those adapters are great, but the Amazon listing has quite a few people complaining about either used or counterfeit devices. So maybe see if you can get it elsewhere first.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Frem
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I bought my xbox wireless dongle directly from microsoft's online store. Shipping was free and it arrived within a week. Honestly I've been avoiding amazon unless I can't find it anywhere else.

    BahamutZEROSynthesis
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    There's a command line tool for bluetooth that's very third party but seems to work well. Instructions for your situation are here but I've never tried this myself.

    Tried this but it did solve the problem. Blah.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I still use my Xbox Wireless receiver (pickled up 5 years ago or so, the original larger device before Amazon was flooded with clones), even after installing a Wifi/Bluetooth expansion card. My primary complaint is that I do need to unplug it and plug it back in for Windows to detect it (I don't use it on a daily basis), but that might have been resolved with the smaller revision.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    It's a stretch of a meme but it checks out
    bxz21jybqjol.jpg

    Zilla360Phoenix-DJazzIncenjucarEar3nd1l
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 23
    Okay, I might need a little help.

    So a family member got a new laptop. It came without an OS, but that's not really a problem usually, I just use the microsoft bootable media tool to make an USB windows bootable drive, plug it in, boot from USB, install, then buy a key and put it in to activate. Done it a dozen times.

    ...except today. Because for some reason the Windows 10 installer can't detect shit here, apparently. It pops an error that says "windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer", and kicks me out. Been trying in Legacy mode, in UEFI mode, no dice. And what I find in the internet is largely about errors while upgrading to Windows 7 in a machine that already has an OS, which is not terribly applicable! Has anyone run into this thing before, and if so, any tips?

    Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Okay, I might need a little help.

    So a family member got a new laptop. It came without an OS, but that's not really a problem usually, I just use the microsoft bootable media tool to make an USB windows bootable drive, plug it in, boot from USB, install, then buy a key and put it in to activate. Done it a dozen times.

    ...except today. Because for some reason the Windows 10 installer can't detect shit here, apparently. It pops an error that says "windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer", and kicks me out. Been trying in Legacy mode, in UEFI mode, no dice. And what I find in the internet is largely about errors while upgrading to Windows 7 in a machine that already has an OS, which is not terribly applicable! Has anyone run into this thing before, and if so, any tips?

    The laptop does have hard drives, right?

  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    According to diskpart, which I accessed from the repair tools part of the bootable drive, yes. I made a new partition and everything.

    I've been trying to make new partitions in the free space and hit repair and so on. Now I'm worried that trying to use repair tools I may have borked it entirely. This is rather frustrating.

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Can you pull the drive out and run some tools on another computer? Sounds like you may need to wipe/reformat. Is the boot partition (it's late and I'm brainfarting what I want to say) possibly corrupted?

    Shadowfire
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Can you pull the drive out and run some tools on another computer? Sounds like you may need to wipe/reformat. Is the boot partition (it's late and I'm brainfarting what I want to say) possibly corrupted?

    If it's an older computer, yeah, the MBR being corrupted could cause bullshit like this. Pull the drive and wipe it in another computer.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Can you pull the drive out and run some tools on another computer? Sounds like you may need to wipe/reformat. Is the boot partition (it's late and I'm brainfarting what I want to say) possibly corrupted?

    I mean, wipe and reformat can be done right there. That's what diskpart is for, and why I think I may have borked it entirely.

    But even doing so seems to only have the installer complain that it's missing a driver it needs. I think this may not have the proper firmware. But fucked if I know what firmware that would be. The computer, for the record, is this one https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c06722712 and so I kinda am wondering if this is a problem the windows installer has with M2 drives.

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I found on the internet the following:
    The only way I was able to install Windows 10 was by changing the BIOS to legacy mode and using a Windows USB installation created in MBR mode with Rufus.

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Yeah I was going to suggest it could be a BIOS update issue. But of course HP buries their BIOS support so I can't tell if they even have updates.

    "We added this feature so we can advertise that we have it, but don't try to use it"

    Fuckin' Dell and HP every time

  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 24
    In the end I ended up putting up the Ubuntu installer without fully installing it to see if its firmware updater would help get the hard drive visible, then try the windows installer again with legacy mode deactivated again, in an old non-usb-3.0 pendrive (since I had also been trying to see if legacy mode made it work). And now it worked.

    I have NO idea whatsoever what the fuck happened, and I've spent like six hours in this goddamned thing, but it's working now, and that's what matters.

    Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    LD50ShadowfireMugsleyXeddicusH3KnucklesJazz
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to suggest it could be a BIOS update issue. But of course HP buries their BIOS support so I can't tell if they even have updates.

    "We added this feature so we can advertise that we have it, but don't try to use it"

    Fuckin' Dell and HP every time

    They want you to use their support assistant type software which will immediately surface and install those BIOS updates for you. Which, at least they work, and for regular users it's nice to have that. But for the rest of us it's a super pain in the ass.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I have NO idea whatsoever what the fuck happened, and I've spent like six hours in this goddamned thing, but it's working now, and that's what matters.

    If I had a nickel every time some version of this sentence was uttered by me or a friend/coworker while building, upgrading, or networking PCs, well... I'd have a shitload of nickels.

    gRAhjXV.gif
    H3KnucklesJazzStormwatcher
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Here's a weird one. My PC has a tendency to lock up, usually after midnight. I usually reboot, but it unfroze after a couple minutes this time. I thought to check the Event Viewer this time and found 130-ish entries, almost all of which are these Security-Auditing events:
    Credential Manager credentials were read.

    Subject:
    Security ID: JAMES-PC\James
    Account Name: James
    Account Domain: JAMES-PC
    Logon ID: 0x161330
    Read Operation: Enumerate Credentials

    This event occurs when a user performs a read operation on stored credentials in Credential Manager.

    I... what? Is my PC locking up because something is going crazy trying to read my system certificates? I also notice half a dozen logon events by SYSTEM mixed in. There are only 46 credentials stored, so whatever it is must be trying multiple times. And like a quarter of the entries in there are just Xbox Live tokens.

  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Here's a weird one. My PC has a tendency to lock up, usually after midnight. I usually reboot, but it unfroze after a couple minutes this time. I thought to check the Event Viewer this time and found 130-ish entries, almost all of which are these Security-Auditing events:
    Credential Manager credentials were read.

    Subject:
    Security ID: JAMES-PC\James
    Account Name: James
    Account Domain: JAMES-PC
    Logon ID: 0x161330
    Read Operation: Enumerate Credentials

    This event occurs when a user performs a read operation on stored credentials in Credential Manager.

    I... what? Is my PC locking up because something is going crazy trying to read my system certificates? I also notice half a dozen logon events by SYSTEM mixed in. There are only 46 credentials stored, so whatever it is must be trying multiple times. And like a quarter of the entries in there are just Xbox Live tokens.

    Try deleting them all.

  • useruser Registered User regular
    So I'm getting a new machine to act as a home lab, and game server. I'm on the fence about what OS to run on it bare metal, I'm definitely most familiar with Windows, but one thing that really bothers me is that I can't really control the update architecture..

    I know on my own machine, I have a setting enabled in a very entrenched, and cryptic to maneuver policy manager, that lets me defer Windows Updates by a significant amount of time (I've seriously had to reformat my PC before, because once a first-wave update bricked my PC).

    I guess, I'm curious if I do go with Windows 10 if there is anything else I can do for this home lab to set it up so that it only updates, infrequently, if not on my own time?

  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Lol oh dear god. Really incredible work there Microsoft. Latest update causes BSOD when you try to print.

    https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/03/10/windows-10-kb5000802-march-update-is-crashing-pcs-with-bsod/

    V1m
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Lol oh dear god. Really incredible work there Microsoft. Latest update causes BSOD when you try to print.

    https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/03/10/windows-10-kb5000802-march-update-is-crashing-pcs-with-bsod/

    This is pretty much entirely enterprise printers (Kyocera, Ricoh, Zebra), and it's the big reason Enterprise editions of Windows allow updates to be halted. Still shitty of Microsoft, but not likely to effect end users very often.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    People still print?

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I know people say that for laughs, but yeah, tons of people absolutely print. Especially people working from home. I print a couple times a month (the menu for my kid's school to post on her whiteboard, and a thing I have to deal with for work).

    But they're not using those enterprise printers.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    BahamutZERO
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I know people say that for laughs, but yeah, tons of people absolutely print. Especially people working from home. I print a couple times a month (the menu for my kid's school to post on her whiteboard, and a thing I have to deal with for work).

    But they're not using those enterprise printers.

    I know, I kid. I work for a hospital and way too many people print way too much.

  • useruser Registered User regular
    Yeah... and people think I'm crazy for deferring the Windows Updates as long as possible. Anyways I went with Linux for my Homelab and I was pleasantly surprised that Windows RDP works with it.

  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Yeah we have a bunch of clients that all use enterprise printers and they've started getting these bluescreens when printing. Law firms, paralegals, title companies. Plenty of people print on these things every day. Easy fix but, damn.

  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    I need to back up a Win10 NTFS non-boot drive that has about 1.8TB of data. I am a Mac nerd by trade, and on macOS I'd use a utility to clone the drive to a .dmg image, which would not only capture it exactly as is, it'd also generate a checksum that would ensure future copies remained valid.

    Is there some Windows equivalent of imaging a drive like that? Ideally, I'd like the whole volume captured as-is to one file, with checksumming to insure that the copy is correct.

Sign In or Register to comment.