As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I didn't bother to upgrade to Windows 10 during the free promotion last year. However, since AOE:DE is Windows 10 exclusive .. I'm wiling to upgrade for it.

Is there still a legitimate method to upgrade without purchasing? Currently using Windows 8.1

Prisca on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I've never liked or trusted the windows search function, but I'm always genuinely surprised and a bit frustrated when, well, this happens:

https://imgur.com/bArwMbq

is it trying to parse the 2017-6 as a range, maybe? I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't pull up a file that clearly exists. And I suppose it doesn't matter, but I confess to a bit of curiosity.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Windows search is pretty shit. Even when it can find something, it makes you filter by a specific type before it will. Maybe it's performance reasons, but if the file's open as you're searching you'd think it check active memory first!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I went to shutdown my PC and Windows reminded me that I had unsaved changes in an open .txt file I was working on in Notepad and wanted to know if I wanted to save the changes before shutting down or not.

I don't know how long that particular feature has been a part of the OS, but high five to whatever engineer made it happen because they saved me from losing a list that took around an hour to make.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I went to shutdown my PC and Windows reminded me that I had unsaved changes in an open .txt file I was working on in Notepad and wanted to know if I wanted to save the changes before shutting down or not.

I don't know how long that particular feature has been a part of the OS, but high five to whatever engineer made it happen because they saved me from losing a list that took around an hour to make.

I think it goes back to Windows XP, but I don't remember for sure.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Tamin wrote: »
    I've never liked or trusted the windows search function, but I'm always genuinely surprised and a bit frustrated when, well, this happens:

is it trying to parse the 2017-6 as a range, maybe? I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't pull up a file that clearly exists. And I suppose it doesn't matter, but I confess to a bit of curiosity.

should be noted that windows search is actually a language.

The search that you're doing is for your filename excluding the character "6".

edit: I have no idea how to escape characters in Windows search. you'd have to google that or something. sorry.

edit2: I think you can toggle between the natural language and normal search too? IDK. Never really thought about windows search tbh.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Quotation marks around the query should work.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    This is the point in the conversation where I plug Everything. It's the one thing I miss from Windows.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

should be noted that windows search is actually a language.

The search that you're doing is for your filename excluding the character "6".

edit: I have no idea how to escape characters in Windows search. you'd have to google that or something. sorry.

edit2: I think you can toggle between the natural language and normal search too? IDK. Never really thought about windows search tbh.

While I appreciate the thoughts, I was more just griping.

I'll have to look into this some more, later. My immediate tests don't seem to support your statements, but I could be misunderstanding.

Thank you!

And thanks Akimbo, Everything looks excellent

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Either I'm dumb or Windows has buried yet another feature. The lock screen password for my laptop is different from the password for my account/MS account. When I try to use the "change password" feature in account settings, it tries to get me to change my MS account. All I want to do is change the lock screen password and all the vids/guides I can find tell you to use the "MS account" password change settings.

So what am I missing? There is not a setting in "Lock Screen Settings," either, like you would expect. I'm going to keep poking through settings but I want to check if any of you have worked through this already.

Is it related to setting up a "local" account?

• Options
    Different subject: I want to load Win 10 onto the 13" MBP that we are letting our daughter use (she's 8). I have two options of doing this, so give me input:

1) Install W10 on the spare 40GB Intel SSD I have floating around. Swap drives. Update/install drivers.

2) Use Boot Camp to dual boot W10 and just change the startup options to go directly into W10. A physical hard drive swap would not be involved.

RE: hardware -- drive swaps are a non-issue for this computer because it's an old enough model that the bottom panel is screwed on instead of glued (it's around a 2012/2013 model). Also I already removed the cover to swap in a battery earlier this year, so that it actually holds a charge.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I think Win 10 wants you to use your MS account or a local account, yes. I may be wrong, though. Not a fan of lock screens.

I'd swap drives just to avoid possible hassles.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Either I'm dumb or Windows has buried yet another feature. The lock screen password for my laptop is different from the password for my account/MS account. When I try to use the "change password" feature in account settings, it tries to get me to change my MS account. All I want to do is change the lock screen password and all the vids/guides I can find tell you to use the "MS account" password change settings.

So what am I missing? There is not a setting in "Lock Screen Settings," either, like you would expect. I'm going to keep poking through settings but I want to check if any of you have worked through this already.

Is it related to setting up a "local" account?

yea, if you chose to sign into windows 10 with a local account instead of a MS account, than the passwords for the computer login and your MS account can be different.

Another thing is if you set up a PIN on the lock screen, instead of a password. (i.e. on one of my windows computers I have a 4 digit pin instead of having to type in my MS account password). if that's the setting we're talking about than that's under Settings-->accounts-->sign in options. Probably where you've been changing your MS account password. Underneath that is PIN login. If that's set up you change it there.

If it is a local account password we're talking about, there's one sure fire way to be able to change that password. I don't personally use a local account on my Win10 machines, so I don't know if there's a "cleaner" way to do it, but this should work. right click the start button, and go to computer management. Then go to local users and groups, then users. the user account should be there an you can right click it to change password.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Different subject: I want to load Win 10 onto the 13" MBP that we are letting our daughter use (she's 8). I have two options of doing this, so give me input:

1) Install W10 on the spare 40GB Intel SSD I have floating around. Swap drives. Update/install drivers.

2) Use Boot Camp to dual boot W10 and just change the startup options to go directly into W10. A physical hard drive swap would not be involved.

RE: hardware -- drive swaps are a non-issue for this computer because it's an old enough model that the bottom panel is screwed on instead of glued (it's around a 2012/2013 model). Also I already removed the cover to swap in a battery earlier this year, so that it actually holds a charge.

40GB is almost too small for Windows 10. The OS barely fits on 32GB drives. I know your daughter is only 8 but It probably won't take very long before the drive fills up because reasons and then you're going to have to spend time managing that.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Plus good luck with Windows updates when there's no drive space available.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    There's probably some modern application that a 40 GB SSD would actually be useful for that isn't "Turning it into a fast passport drive."

I can't think of it though.

• Options
    Linux drive for a web browsing only machine?

• Options
    Yeah, good point. I was hoping to give that old drive some new life. I'll see if I can poke around for a solid SSD deal in the meantime.

Thanks for the info on both items.

• Options
    If it's a fast SSD and you have sata ports, you can always use it to install steam games you're currently playing.

• Options
    I'd honestly just toss that SSD into a USB 3.0 enclosure and use it as a pseudo giant flash drive.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    If it's a fast SSD and you have sata ports, you can always use it to install steam games you're currently playing.

You can almost install one large AAA game on it (the kind that would most benefit from fast loading times).

Or a bunch of smaller Steam games that would benefit not as much (or none at all as the case might be) from loading times. There's a sweet spot in between there (which will probably mean 1 or 2 games).

Four or more years ago, as gaming PCs more more and more towards SSDs, it would've been hard to find a use for that (someone on this forum very accurately called drives of that sizes, which NewEgg and the like were basically selling in mass to the sort of consumer who desperately wanted some kind of solid state drive, "gumball machine prizes") within the Windows/Steam gaming ecosystem. For high-end development game sizes are expanding faster than the price of real-estate is declining, which wouldn't matter if those weren't often the games with the longest load times (you can still find modern games that installing on an SSD is a waste of time).

I'd say 40 GB passport drive. Honestly, even for that role it's not going to be great, given how big it's going to be, how much the enclosure will cost, compared to a small flash drive that has twice the storage space and be 1/16th the size. I've got a 3 year old from Western Digital that's twice the size (and was way cheaper).

Linux, I would wager, would absolutely have a lot more uses for that space--a lot of which aren't game related though. And that requires you use Linux, which not everyone does.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Linux drive for a web browsing only machine?

It’d make a great ChromeOS drive.

• Options
    So, it looks like the Fall Creators update (1709) is finalized. Build Number 16299.15. It got pushed out to the release preview insider ring yesterday, which means that's what they intend to release to the world.

Release date is officially October 17th.

I'm running it on my main PC and... it's fine? Honestly can't really tell much of a difference from my laptop that's not an insider machine. Maybe when 1709 pushes to my laptop and it jumps straight from 1703 I'll see a bigger change. Actually i think that laptop is on release preview so I should fire it up tonight and update it.

Also, as an aside, If for some reason you're still running 1511, it has now exited support, meaning no more updates.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Microsoft was pretty transparent about 1709 being a follow on to the summer update and is more internal than visual. It adds a few niceties though, like GPU utilization being shown in Task Manager now.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Microsoft was pretty transparent about 1709 being a follow on to the summer update and is more internal than visual. It adds a few niceties though, like GPU utilization being shown in Task Manager now.

This actually isn't true at all. They announced a bunch of new features for it at Build in April, and almost everything except for OneDrive files on demand got cut because they weren't done. And one of the other marquee features, the people bar/hub thingy, was actually supposed to be in the 1703 update an *that* got cut, so it's here now.

• Options
    Best news: syskey is finally dead.

• Options
    Got a jump on the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (considering I'm not in the Insiders Preview for PC)--generally happy with it so far. Had to reinstall Pin More, but that's probably Pin More's fault.

I've noticed something: for a long time before the update (and perhaps after) I noticed that the live tile for the Store App breaks (it deactivates). You can now go into the store and flip the switch to show information on the tile (under settings), and then it works immediately, but for me it "stops working" again after a few hours.

For someone who considers the live tile to be ad space (even though it shows free apps too), obviously this is a non issue. But I actually like it, since it's a nice way to bring apps to my attention. But having to turn it back on every few hours sucks. I wish there was a run command or powershell commander I could set to run every few hours that would toggle it back on again, rather than having to do it manually. Anyone have any idea if there is such a command for something in the Store App settings?

(Mostly I just really like live tiles in general.)

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Best news: syskey is finally dead.

This is awesome news. The only people using it are dinosaurs and “it support” phone scammers.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I foolishly deleted the Windows update files thinking everything was fine, but then I started having constant slow program and file access issues. So either all of my drives, SSD and HDDs, are failing, or the update borked something somewhere and it's going to take a system reset at best to fix the problem.

Less painful to reset than previous versions of windows, but I do need to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I do.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    I'm paranoid enough that I took a complete image of my boot drive prior to the update. On top of Windows storing the old version/Restore Point ability.

But I also had an SSD metaphorically crap out in the middle of system imaging, so I'm generally pretty wary of everything.

Something else I noticed that everyone else might not realize: so the Fall Creators Update considerably changes how OneDrive used to work, giving you the ability to store files permanently online without an offline "master copy". If you enable that, it will turn off shell icon overlays (which you see in Explorer) and turn on the status column (which has 3 unique status icons).

If you turn it off--and revert back to the old way (as I did for my computer that was the "master copy" for my OneDrive library--it will turn off the status column and turn back on shell icon overlays.

That actually makes good sense, but isn't stated anywhere, so I wasted an hour or two fiddling around with my registry settings trying to fix Shell Icon Overlays (Dropbox used to love breaking them before I completely stopped using it).

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm paranoid enough that I took a complete image of my boot drive prior to the update. On top of Windows storing the old version/Restore Point ability.

But I also had an SSD metaphorically crap out in the middle of system imaging, so I'm generally pretty wary of everything.

Something else I noticed that everyone else might not realize: so the Fall Creators Update considerably changes how OneDrive used to work, giving you the ability to store files permanently online without an offline "master copy". If you enable that, it will turn off shell icon overlays (which you see in Explorer) and turn on the status column (which has 3 unique status icons).

If you turn it off--and revert back to the old way (as I did for my computer that was the "master copy" for my OneDrive library--it will turn off the status column and turn back on shell icon overlays.

That actually makes good sense, but isn't stated anywhere, so I wasted an hour or two fiddling around with my registry settings trying to fix Shell Icon Overlays (Dropbox used to love breaking them before I completely stopped using it).

it's called onedrive files on demand. And there's a bit of a Story here that's firmly in the "because Microsoft"

This is the official replacement for the OneDrive placeholders feature that was in windows 8.x. I love that this is back. It allows you to see what is in your onedrive without actually having to have it all be sync'd to your computer. And when you clicked to open a file, it would download it on demand and open it However, in the 8.x implementation there was an issue where there wasn't a way for software to be automatically "aware" that those files were not stored locally. i.e. in photoshop, if you tried to use the photoshop UI to open up a photo that was in onedrive, and not stored locally, it would fail. So Microsoft ripped it out of 10 for the initial release, and the backlash was so significant that they said they'd try to figure out a way to bring it back. The new version, OneDrive Files on Demand, fixes those issues (along with several other things that were a problem with the original placeholders setup). It's been working in the insider builds for months.

However, this is where the "because microsoft" thing comes in..... the version of onedrive that ships with the 1709 doesn't support Files on Demand, even though it's been active in the insider builds for month. This means that right after upgrading, you don't get presented this new feature. At some point a day or two after you install 1709 the OneDrive subsystem will update to the new version automatically. When it does, it's supposed to notify you that its updated and run you through the new features...... except that it doesn't always do that.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

it's called onedrive files on demand. And there's a bit of a Story here that's firmly in the "because Microsoft"

This is the official replacement for the OneDrive placeholders feature that was in windows 8.x. I love that this is back. It allows you to see what is in your onedrive without actually having to have it all be sync'd to your computer. And when you clicked to open a file, it would download it on demand and open it However, in the 8.x implementation there was an issue where there wasn't a way for software to be automatically "aware" that those files were not stored locally. i.e. in photoshop, if you tried to use the photoshop UI to open up a photo that was in onedrive, and not stored locally, it would fail. So Microsoft ripped it out of 10 for the initial release, and the backlash was so significant that they said they'd try to figure out a way to bring it back. The new version, OneDrive Files on Demand, fixes those issues (along with several other things that were a problem with the original placeholders setup). It's been working in the insider builds for months.

However, this is where the "because microsoft" thing comes in..... the version of onedrive that ships with the 1709 doesn't support Files on Demand, even though it's been active in the insider builds for month. This means that right after upgrading, you don't get presented this new feature. At some point a day or two after you install 1709 the OneDrive subsystem will update to the new version automatically. When it does, it's supposed to notify you that its updated and run you through the new features...... except that it doesn't always do that.

I remember the transition from the 8.1 system, but I didn't know about the "Delayed activation without telling you." I have 40 GB on OneDrive, though I only use 2.5 of it--so after some consideration, I think I want to have a complete offline original for reasons of editing speed/unnecessary precaution.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is MS ever going to fix the settings/control panel split

Seems a little more important ot be than fucking 3D paint

• Options
    Is MS ever going to fix the settings/control panel split

Seems a little more important ot be than fucking 3D paint

it's something that's improving with every release. The Control Panel, by nature, was pretty ingrained into Windows, so I think they're being super careful when they pull things out of it for fear of unintended consequences.

What I really wish they'd do is put everything into settings, but if a specific function isn't yet ported over, clicking the link/option takes you to the correct control panel page.

• Options
    Also, finding things in Settings can be a bit of a pain. A lot of that is undoubtedly because I'm used to control panel, but it doesn't feel as intuitive.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    LD50 wrote: »

You can almost install one large AAA game on it (the kind that would most benefit from fast loading times).

Or a bunch of smaller Steam games that would benefit not as much (or none at all as the case might be) from loading times. There's a sweet spot in between there (which will probably mean 1 or 2 games).

Four or more years ago, as gaming PCs more more and more towards SSDs, it would've been hard to find a use for that (someone on this forum very accurately called drives of that sizes, which NewEgg and the like were basically selling in mass to the sort of consumer who desperately wanted some kind of solid state drive, "gumball machine prizes") within the Windows/Steam gaming ecosystem. For high-end development game sizes are expanding faster than the price of real-estate is declining, which wouldn't matter if those weren't often the games with the longest load times (you can still find modern games that installing on an SSD is a waste of time).

I'd say 40 GB passport drive. Honestly, even for that role it's not going to be great, given how big it's going to be, how much the enclosure will cost, compared to a small flash drive that has twice the storage space and be 1/16th the size. I've got a 3 year old from Western Digital that's twice the size (and was way cheaper).

Linux, I would wager, would absolutely have a lot more uses for that space--a lot of which aren't game related though. And that requires you use Linux, which not everyone does.

I believe the entire Lubuntu OS is ~3gigs (in a highly usable state, you can knock it down to ~1gb if you're just doing CLI), which is the smallest full use distro I've used. Ubuntu proper is 5gb-6gb now a days.

I have an ACER laptop with a 32gb drive on the board, it can hold the OS and all of the programs I use daily with ~5gb leftover (I think I set up a 2gb swap on format). I soldered a SATA header onto the board to plug in a 120gb SSD for Steam though.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    This is a complete aside, but amusing. I have an old HP Stream 7 tablet I use as a streaming device for a couple services I have that require flash on the web. One of the things that a Windows 10 tablet is actually good for. It's a pretty crappy device, 1.33 GHz processor, 1GB ram, 32GB eMMC, but it does the job for a stream of a single thing, pretty much all I use it for. It was still on 1607, I figured with the low specs it'd never get updated automatically, and I had never bothered to try to manually update it.

Literally today, it got pushed a Win10 update..... to 1703.

Never change, Microsoft.

• Options
    That, and the Surface devices, which all work...pretty great with Windows 10. Then again, the Surface Pro 1 - 3 all made really good use of Windows 8 as well.

They're kind of tablets, kind of not. My mother bought a (smaller) Surface 3, which she likes, but refuses to get a keyboard for, possibly because she's insane.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Also, finding things in Settings can be a bit of a pain. A lot of that is undoubtedly because I'm used to control panel, but it doesn't feel as intuitive.

It's sort of reproducing the category mode of the control panel, which I tend to immediately switch out of the moment that I first notice it.