As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    With the Fall Creator's Update, has anyone run into weirdness that suddenly game performance gets REALLY bad after a while? I'm not even sure how I fix it, and even if I did, it's annoying on its own.

It seems like I go from 55 to 60 FPS in most of my games to half that, and just restarting my PC (which really shouldn't be necessary after just a few hours) doesn't actually fix the problem. The last time I ended up completely reinstalling my Nvidia drivers to a much older version, thinking it was a driver issue.

I wonder if it has to do with the new "fast resume" function that's automatically enabled, whatever they call it--restart your PC and you'll have all your last windows open and waiting for you (and there's no way to disable it). Convenient, but it feels like that basically ensures whatever slowdown that has effected Windows survives too.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    With the Fall Creator's Update, has anyone run into weirdness that suddenly game performance gets REALLY bad after a while? I'm not even sure how I fix it, and even if I did, it's annoying on its own.

It seems like I go from 55 to 60 FPS in most of my games to half that, and just restarting my PC (which really shouldn't be necessary after just a few hours) doesn't actually fix the problem. The last time I ended up completely reinstalling my Nvidia drivers to a much older version, thinking it was a driver issue.

I wonder if it has to do with the new "fast resume" function that's automatically enabled, whatever they call it--restart your PC and you'll have all your last windows open and waiting for you (and there's no way to disable it). Convenient, but it feels like that basically ensures whatever slowdown that has effected Windows survives too.

Fast startup is an iteration on the hybrid sleep mode that’s been around since Windows 8. I would think it’d only be relevant to performance when shutting down or booting up.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Fast startup is an iteration on the hybrid sleep mode that’s been around since Windows 8. I would think it’d only be relevant to performance when shutting down or booting up.

I mean the new functionality that automatically resumes programs that were open when you shut down Windows 10. It's something separate, though I don't know what, if anything, it's called.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So, because I wanted to play some games in my new found free time this fall and winter, I had to get a copy of Windows 10 to play my Steam catalog fully.

I had to wander around for 30 minutes in Best Buy before an 18yr old kid found me, and pointed me to the little rack of windows copies.

I am somehow very amused at how long this take to install. I used Win8 for a little while, but really only to game. I'm going to give Win10 a shot as my workstation, since I mostly do webdev now, and that can be done from any OS.

Edit: Holy cow! Windows just eats space. I'm gonna have to get another drive!

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So, because I wanted to play some games in my new found free time this fall and winter, I had to get a copy of Windows 10 to play my Steam catalog fully.

I had to wander around for 30 minutes in Best Buy before an 18yr old kid found me, and pointed me to the little rack of windows copies.

I am somehow very amused at how long this take to install. I used Win8 for a little while, but really only to game. I'm going to give Win10 a shot as my workstation, since I mostly do webdev now, and that can be done from any OS.

How big is your windows install? If you installed on top of an older version of windows, your old install is probably still kicking around. It will be in a folder called Windows.old in the root of your drive. You can pull old documents and such out of it if you want to, and you can safely remove it to free up space. You may also want to run the disk cleanup utility after you've updated fully and get rid of any excess update files kicking around.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    LD50 wrote: »

How big is your windows install? If you installed on top of an older version of windows, your old install is probably still kicking around. It will be in a folder called Windows.old in the root of your drive. You can pull old documents and such out of it if you want to, and you can safely remove it to free up space. You may also want to run the disk cleanup utility after you've updated fully and get rid of any excess update files kicking around.

Did all that, it was a totally fresh install. I've done my due diligence in cleaning everything up, and excluding the things I've installed, it's ~17.3gb. At totally bare, after the first update (and cleaned!), I had the Windows folder at ~14.2gb. That's what I'd call, a fat ass OS.

I will say, it's very nice just having everything work. As much as I love linux, the second you throw something slightly out of the ordinary at it, you're tinkering.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So, about the size of Windows. It's 2017. The days of Windows XP and 600MB windows installs are long gone. Heck, even a fully patched Windows 7 install is 25+ GB now. Windows is a complex monster.

Also, as a point of reference: MacOS is about 16GB, so about the same as Windows. Heck, android and iOS, mobile platforms, are in the areas of 8GB now.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So, about the size of Windows. It's 2017. The days of Windows XP and 600MB windows installs are long gone. Heck, even a fully patched Windows 7 install is 25+ GB now. Windows is a complex monster.

Also, as a point of reference: MacOS is about 16GB, so about the same as Windows. Heck, android and iOS, mobile platforms, are in the areas of 8GB now.

And yet companies have the balls to market windows 10 tablets with 32GB of storage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

And yet companies have the balls to market windows 10 tablets with 32GB of storage.

Not just tablets, I've seen LAPTOPS with 32GB SSDs.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I mean, lots of OS's aren't that big. Most of them (all of them) offer the same daily functionality that Windows does once you subtract gaming, Mono is a great development tool, there's linux/unix versions of almost all essential software, and so on and so on.

Once you subtract gaming, the differences become very slight. I mean, yeah, Adobe isn't outside of Windows, but there are options. Inkscape is a very good tool, but takes a while to learn, and GIMP is a passable raster editor (there's a couple other graphics programs, but I've never needed to try them). I use Audacity to edit my audio for terrestrial radio broadcast.

And they do it all in a fraction of the space.

Maybe there could be a "slim" option, where they pair this down to 8gb or something, strip out the silly GUI and "QoL" stuff some people don't need or want, and let me just check a box at install to use that option. For advanced users, we can make good decisions about drivers and software installs. If we bugger it, that's on us and we'll format accordingly.

I'd just like the option. It's not a deal breaker or anything, and I'm not "mad" at Windows. I'm just chuckling a bit over it.

Edit: Also, it is 2017, maybe we should be focusing on how to make software run efficiently, instead of just writing off storage space as a given.

Edit2: Truly, I came to this thread to maybe re-learn the tricks of Windows and discuss it with people who've been actively using it for the last three years or more. Not to argue about whether an OS is "too big" or not. My point was made out of amusement, not frustration. You can tell because I didn't use any angry words.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The Win10 Fall Creator's Update is messing up my Tobii eye tracking; insofar as now it appears to either be permanently switched on, or I can force stop the service itself in Windows and then the computer behaves as if I've physically disconnected the device (which, incidentally, I can't, as it's built in to my laptop, an Alienware 17 R4). Until I restart the service and then we're back to square one.

Previously it stayed off until I started up a game that could use it (e.g. F1 2017, Rise of the Tomb Raider), whereupon it came on, and then would switch off when I exited the game, which was pretty much ideal; I only really used it for the F1 2017 HUD anyway.

And, after further investigation, neither of those games will work without it on. If I switch on the service, RotTR works. But F1 2017 now gives me audio but no video, whether it's on or off. There's nothing on the F1 2017 Steam forum about it, nor the Codemasters F1 games forum, that I can see. So that might be purely update related rather than the Tobii service (unless a recent Nvidia driver update caused it).

I'm thinking about rolling Windows back for now, unless you guys have any more suggestions. (There's no new Tobii updates yet, btw.)

EDIT: D'oh, verifying F1 and RotTR files in Steam got them working again, so not sure what set them off... although the overarching issue with Tobii of course remains.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I mean, lots of OS's aren't that big. Most of them (all of them) offer the same daily functionality that Windows does once you subtract gaming, Mono is a great development tool, there's linux/unix versions of almost all essential software, and so on and so on.

Once you subtract gaming, the differences become very slight. I mean, yeah, Adobe isn't outside of Windows, but there are options. Inkscape is a very good tool, but takes a while to learn, and GIMP is a passable raster editor (there's a couple other graphics programs, but I've never needed to try them). I use Audacity to edit my audio for terrestrial radio broadcast.

And they do it all in a fraction of the space.

Maybe there could be a "slim" option, where they pair this down to 8gb or something, strip out the silly GUI and "QoL" stuff some people don't need or want, and let me just check a box at install to use that option. For advanced users, we can make good decisions about drivers and software installs. If we bugger it, that's on us and we'll format accordingly.

I'd just like the option. It's not a deal breaker or anything, and I'm not "mad" at Windows. I'm just chuckling a bit over it.

Edit: Also, it is 2017, maybe we should be focusing on how to make software run efficiently, instead of just writing off storage space as a given.

Edit2: Truly, I came to this thread to maybe re-learn the tricks of Windows and discuss it with people who've been actively using it for the last three years or more. Not to argue about whether an OS is "too big" or not. My point was made out of amusement, not frustration. You can tell because I didn't use any angry words.

so, I do mean this constructively, and not in a "Bad" way, but you did mention that it was nice to use an OS that just worked, and something that didnt' break/have issues with the smallest mount of tinkering like what often happens in *nix. I'd say that the size of windows is probably the reason why. There's a lot of code, but it ensures that everything just works, and generally if you want to do things another way than standard, there's almost always a way, and that's partly *because* of the codebase and the 20+ years of work on the base of the OS. It's not always perfect. I use it every day, I'm a sysadmin as a day job, and Windows drives me absolutely bananas almost every day. But I also truly believe that it's the best desktop OS. I use OS X regularly, and have a laptop with Ubuntu on it, just so I stay current on that side too. Windows is big, but that's *why* it's so good.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

Yea, I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro at work that I use for insider builds, and literally every new build I have to make sure I clear out the windows.old folder from the build update becuase there's not enough space on it to have Windows, the previous Windows install, and install a new build.

Most of those 32GB tablets/laptops are in the super low end though, where every cent matters and the sheer demand for flash keeping the price up has meant those things don't get enough storage. I personally wouldn't buy them, nor would I recommend people buy them.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Yea, I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro at work that I use for insider builds, and literally every new build I have to make sure I clear out the windows.old folder from the build update becuase there's not enough space on it to have Windows, the previous Windows install, and install a new build.

Most of those 32GB tablets/laptops are in the super low end though, where every cent matters and the sheer demand for flash keeping the price up has meant those things don't get enough storage. I personally wouldn't buy them, nor would I recommend people buy them.

The big problem I have with them is you can't install updates after a bit, so they have a major security issue right out of the gate. I don't care about every cent mattering at that point. Bump it from 32 to 64 (or anywhere in between) and raise the price accordingly. This should really be a mandate from Microsoft, as far as I'm concerned.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

The big problem I have with them is you can't install updates after a bit, so they have a major security issue right out of the gate. I don't care about every cent mattering at that point. Bump it from 32 to 64 (or anywhere in between) and raise the price accordingly. This should really be a mandate from Microsoft, as far as I'm concerned.

It's technically possible to install large updates on those things by plugging in a sufficiently large USB stick for it to use as extra working space. It's non-intuitive and awful.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

It's technically possible to install large updates on those things by plugging in a sufficiently large USB stick for it to use as extra working space. It's non-intuitive and awful.

that's with feature updates (i.e. 1703-->1709) but not regular windows updates. Also, starting with 1709 Microsoft (finally, it's 2017) is doing delta updates, which means the update package from 1703 to 1709 was about 25% smaller than the update from 1607 to 1703 was.

ironically, a system upgraded from 1703 to 1709 is actually a slightly smaller footprint than a fully patched 1703 is because the things fixed in 1703 are fully baked into the OS. I'm not talking huge amounts of space, but it's there, and it is kind of funny.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    With recent update my Internet Connection Sharing has stopped working. I use it to get my 360 to connect through my PC and it (the 360) simply can't see the 'network' since 1709. Any ideas what is going on? I've even set the ICS service to Automatic (Delayed Start) and the only improvement is that COM Surrogate no longer stops responding.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Did 1709 revert changes to connection sharing? i.e. is something turned on/off in the network connection section of Settings? Because this is what sounds like is happening.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    No idea. I've already tried various things and at best the system doesn't lock up when trying to turn it on or off. And even when I get it to turn on, the 360 just can't see the 'network'. I'm going to try and revert tonight because I neeeeed my time/date stamps!

It kind of broke right before when I'd run whatever update that came out in October (not 1709) but all I had to do was stop and start it again.

I really don't like what MS did with the update system for W10.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Does anyone know why 1709 still hasn't been offered to me through Windows Update? I'm on 1703, and I know how to force the update with the update assistant, but life and stuff made me decide to just not mess with it and just install it when it shows up on WU. Things have calmed down finally and this morning I remembered that I'm still on 1703 and still no offer. My settings show that I'm on Current Branch and feature update deferrment is set to 0. Pause updates is not turned on. The last update installed was the last Flash Player for IE update on the 2nd. So I am still getting updates, just not the feature update for some reason. Figured it would be completely rolled out by now.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Eh, I'm still on 1607 here. It can be sloooooow.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    This is both an easy answer and not one you're going to enjoy hearing.

Microsoft does not push out Feature updates to every windows PC at once. This is by design. what Microsoft does is that they push based on configurations and white and black lists. So they can certify that "Dell XPS 13 model number xxxxx" works with it, so one day they'll whitelist that machine configuration to get 1709. On custom machines it gets more complicated as each component has to be verified and certified individually.

The most common reason to *not* get an update is a specific driver or piece of software on your exact PC is marked as being incompatible, or at least "could cause problems" with a feature update. This could be something as simple as the driver for your webcam has not been certified to work with the latest version, so you won't be offered it. Over time, as Microsoft gets enough data points that yes, this actually does work, the'll whitelist that driver, and if that was the only blocker for your specific configuration, you'll then have a feature update offered to you.

I literally have a tablet that just updated from 1607 to 1703 3 weeks ago. Still waiting to see when/if it ever gets 1709.

tldr: if you're not getting a feature update it is because there is something on your machine that is currently labelled as "possibly not compatible" with that feature update.

• Options
    At this point I'd rather not have been allowed.

• Options
    Any way to see what device is preventing 1709 from being offered? I fired off that Upgrade Assistant. It did a basic CPU/Memory/Storage check which all passed so it's ready to download 1709 for me if I so choose.

I cancelled out. I'm just curious now.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I get around that wait by opting in to the super-slow RC ring on Insider. I seem to get stuff the day before release, more-or-less.

• Options
    It’s also possible to miss Windows Updates if your C:\ drive doesn’t have the ~10 GB free or so that it needs to do the update. I missed the first Creators update for months because I didn’t care that there was only 4gb free on my system drive, and the occasional warnings about it never mentioned that it was blocking an update.

• Options
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Any way to see what device is preventing 1709 from being offered? I fired off that Upgrade Assistant. It did a basic CPU/Memory/Storage check which all passed so it's ready to download 1709 for me if I so choose.

Not really no.

If you run the upgrade manually it's *likely* that everything will just be fine. But after the debacle of the early rollout of 1607, They have been more cautious/strict with the rollout. It's now "we know 100% that this configuration will work" and not "this should probably work because there's no reason it won't"

• Options
    I reverted to 1703 and the 360 still won't see the 'network'.

On the plus side, turning ICS on or off doesn't hang the system anymore. So 1709 definitely fucked something up. The only things left to check are the cable I'm using between the console and PC and the console itself. And I doubt it's the cable since the network adapter settings knows the difference between when it's powered on or not. And if it's the console, then that's about the shittiest timing ever. Definitely not happy about it since I just reupped my LIVE subscription. Guess I'll wait and see if 17XX 'fixes' anything.

• Options

On the plus side, turning ICS on or off doesn't hang the system anymore. So 1709 definitely fucked something up. The only things left to check are the cable I'm using between the console and PC and the console itself. And I doubt it's the cable since the network adapter settings knows the difference between when it's powered on or not. And if it's the console, then that's about the shittiest timing ever. Definitely not happy about it since I just reupped my LIVE subscription. Guess I'll wait and see if 17XX 'fixes' anything.

I haven’t turned on my 360 in forever, but I was using Windows 10 ICS to get it online. I can plug it in this weekend and see if I’m having similar issues.

• Options
    VoodooV wrote: »

Not really no.

If you run the upgrade manually it's *likely* that everything will just be fine. But after the debacle of the early rollout of 1607, They have been more cautious/strict with the rollout. It's now "we know 100% that this configuration will work" and not "this should probably work because there's no reason it won't"

Thanks. yeah I'm in no hurry so I'm fine to wait for a while, but if it still hasn't shown up in a couple months I might eventually force it...or just whenever the mood strikes me to risk dealing with any issues that might arise.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

On the upside, you can get a XBO for $200 between now and the end of the month. *cringing smiley face*

• Options
    If King of Fighters XIII would come to backwards compatibility, I might not turn on my Xbox 360 ever again (excluding the times I actually unplug it to bring to some event as a portal device).

I meant to post about this a while ago, but a feature of the Fall Creators Update that went largely unnoticed is that now, by default, Windows 10 appears to regularly delete the icon preview cache on its own. There are probably performance reasons for this, but if you're one of those people who hate seeing Explorer regenerate all the icon caches every time you go to an image folder, you can disable it. Granted, once an icon cache gets big enough you begin to see weird but harmless glitches (certain icons being too small, etc.), but it's preferable.

I'm surprised there isn't some command you can run to just make Windows 10 sit down and generate preview icons for every relevant file on a drive or even the whole PC.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

On the upside, you can get a XBO for $200 between now and the end of the month. *cringing smiley face*

Well, that's alright, then!

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

Well, that's alright, then!

Sarcasm aside (if I was telling you that, I'd definitely sound sarcastic), we're at the point were a very large part of the Xbox 360 library (more than 400 titles) work well on entry-level Xbox One (with some games enjoying improvement), much less the Xbox One X. If your main games are among that list, it might be worth considering that as an option.

On the hand, $200 is $200. I'm close to buying a PS4 exclusively for Super Robot Wars V imported from Hong Kong, but it's not easy to justify either in the area of $200 (right now, a refurbished original model PS4 costs $220, and is technically more capable than its slim replacement).

• Options
    It's not that I'm not wanting a X1 right now, it's that I already have a 360 and an assload of games to play. It's not really the worst advice, but even so, I definitely wouldn't want to spend $200 and still not get the damned thing on XBL.

• Options
    I say this much right now, I'm really considering just reinstalling this bullshit to get to a legitimate pre-1709 state.

Which probably wouldn't matter since running any updates would probably force 1709 back onto me. But, perhaps doing it that way won't have any previous setting to bork in the first place. This is all pretty pathetic.

• Options
    horribly frustrating, but oddly amusing for me. The old Venue 8 Pro I run insider fast on for testing. I'm trying to update it to the latest insider build, and the wifi basically drops every time the download initiates. So I can cold boot it, go to cmd, and ping google and everything resolves, and reponse time is less than 50ms.

I keep the ping going, go to windows update, which triggers the build download to start, 80% of my pings drop, the ones that are successful are in the 2000-2500ms response time.

Not something with my internet connection, as it tests fine on other devices, and my desktop computer, which is also on insider fast, and wifi, updated to this build without issue. Beta software!

• Options
    Bit the bullet and reinstalled from scratch to 1511. Turned on ICS and sure enough, the 360 logs on to XBL without issue. Next will be to try and get to 1703 but no further. Perhaps at some point seeing if installing straight to 1709 doesn't work.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Change is bad (normally).

This is just more proof. Happy I'm still on 1607.

• Options
    Bit the bullet and reinstalled from scratch to 1511. Turned on ICS and sure enough, the 360 logs on to XBL without issue. Next will be to try and get to 1703 but no further. Perhaps at some point seeing if installing straight to 1709 doesn't work.

I was about to say, "Well, at least you know the culprit." But then I recalled that this could either be something functionally disabled in the Fall Creators Update, or something installed incorrectly (though the second is less likely?).

At least you won't have to spend $200.