As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I feel like if Microsoft is going to keep these intrusive restarts/updates, they may as well lean all the way in and incorporate Clippy.

"HEY! IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE TRYING TO PLAY A GAME!"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hey! It looks like you're trying to enjoy your experience! I will reboot the computer now and you will find that impossible!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    If you're one of the like 5 people that use Game Mode, that apparently keeps the update prompt from coming up.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    If you're one of the like 5 people that use Game Mode, that apparently keeps the update prompt from coming up.

Game Mode is like Mac Gaming: the five people who actually do game on Mac on purpose will make damn sure you know they do.

I meant to post this recently: in Microsoft's ongoing war against the menace that is the Thumbnail Cache, the recent updates might have triggered a repeat of the process that any restarts will wipe your cache (forcing you to regenerate any thumbnail previews). Annoying, though not catastrophic. If you hate that like me, you may want to check Regedit.exe again, and look for the StateFlags key along with the Autorun key. I'd post the link for the precise instructions I used that fixed the issue, but I'm at work presently.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I keep a link to this because MS is really pretty stupid about this shit.

• Options
    On my Surface Pro that key is set to 3. Which is odd.

To briefly play devil's advocate, since I'm usually the one to bring it up in the first place, I can kind of think of one justification for thumbnail auto-clearing. My thumbnail cache is already pushing 2 gigabytes, which, on an SSD boot drive, could be problematic for some people. And I've called up 5% (probably less) of my image files. Granted, I have thousands of event photographs on my storage drive alone, so I'm an extreme case.

• Options
    Perhaps. But they can also make it a user option in the control panel. Each update resets it with a pop-up notifying the user.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They could just remove the registry entry. Updates wouldn't set it back to the default if they did that.

• Options
    There's a myriad of things they could do but don't. Fucking ICS still doesn't work right.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Apparently the 1809 update is having a pretty serious impact for some users, in that it is nuking their user data folders.
    The Window 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) is now available for download, but along with the new features and improvements, it appears that some users are not having a smooth upgrade experience.

Shortly after the new version became available as a manual download (using the Media Creation Tool, Update Assistant, and Windows Update) several users started reporting that the upgrade process is wiping out their documents, pictures, and other personal files along with previously installed programs.

Sometimes, when you perform an upgrade to a new version of Windows 10, the setup may move the user files to the previous installation backup located inside the "Windows.old" folder. However, according to those users experiencing sudden data loss, they looked everywhere, and their personal files are nowhere to be found.

It may be worth delaying the update until this gets sorted, or at the very least ensuring you have a good backup in place before performing it.

On that topic: Does anyone have any advice for how to prevent this update from auto-applying on Windows 10 Pro?

• Options
    I believe you just set up that you're on a metered wi-fi. There is a way to do it for standard wired connections, too.

It will still push some 'critical' updates, but not the whole update package.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Looks like the update has been pulled for now. I couldn't get it to show up when I checked for updates just then.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    A big Windows update has a major problem? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

• Options
    Quelle surprise!

• Options
    As expected, PC Master Race is having a field day. Also this:
    pv217apcpd5s.png

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So trying to play some play anywhere titles on my Surface Pro and both games aren't acknowledging my keyboard.

One does all the way up to signing into xbox live as I can skip the splashes and stuff... and then I can do nothing at the main menu, the other never gets that far. What gives?

edit: one started working after updates and launching it on my console, the other, despite having a PC version (on steam in addition to the win10 store one), doesn't support keyboard, it's buried in the notes.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Anybody know about a forced update within the last 24 or so hours?

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Anybody know about a forced update within the last 24 or so hours?

Pretty much my whole sales floor was wanting to restart for an update as I went through closing tonight, which is unusual. Usually it's 3/4 machines at a time over the course of a week or two.

• Options
    It's weird since it's a bunch of security updates for MS stuff (IE, Edge, Media Player, that kind of thing).

Perhaps it's a pre-fix for the 1809 update.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sounds like 1809 is ready again, now with less files deleted. And Microsoft is going to try to help with data recovery in some way.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I totally forgot to update the group policy for the new windows install on my machine that runs my minecraft server, so yeah, I can confirm that there was a restart :rotate:

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Sounds like 1809 is ready again, now with less files deleted. And Microsoft is going to try to help with data recovery in some way.

"Let's enable shadowcopy by going here and"

• Options
    Yeah, I should probably tweak my settings for a bit, to try to keep 1809 from installing right away.

I also received an incremental update. I want to say it was either this past Sunday or Monday.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    honestly, the second time through 1809 is probably going to be fine. It's just that there is no way in hell it should have gotten through with that bug. I'd probably still hold off a week or so just to be sure, but it'll probably be fine now.

Microsoft did semi-detail exactly what the bug was, and it's so dumb that it was missed.

Basically, if you have folder redirection for the documents/pictures/videos/etc folder on, that's where it starts. The folder redirection is where you point the system to have "My Documents" "My Pictures" etc at folders other than the default, which is normally be c:\users\[username]\documents. When you do a windows version upgrade and you have folder redirection on, it is supposed to check to see if the default folders are empty. If they are, it just doesn't migrate them over when the upgrade is done, essentially purging them. But since they're empty, it shouldn't matter. If they aren't empty and there's data in them, it is supposed to keep the data in the system upgrade and put the files back.

the bug in the 1809 upgrade was not doing the check to see if the folders was empty, and just purging them, even if data was still in the folders. Not a great thing to make it through.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Imagine being the engineer that pushed that.

Engineer: "Alright! 1809 good to go!"

Customer Service: "Hey.. We're getting a lot of reports that you um.. Just deleted all of everyone's everything?"

E: "No.. That wouldn't happen. There isn't even a mechanism for that. The only part of the process that might ... do .. that .... Um.. Oh. Yep. Totally deleting everything."

• Options
    edited October 2018
    It's maddening because Microsoft arbitrarily released it the date of the Surface announcements just to say they released it the day of the Surface announcements.

Every other Windows 10 update has had a roughly 2 week "Release Candidate" where it gets pushed to the entire insider program, fast ring, slow ring, and the release preview ring. They clearly state that this is the version they want to release to the public, and let it sit for a couple weeks on people's machines. It's actually how they caught a couple potential issues with the 1803 update, which is why it came out on April 30th instead of the first week of April like originally planned.

They didn't do that at all with the 1809 release. the final build went out to fast ring, with a "this doesn't mean we're done" caveat, it did roll out to slow ring a couple days before public release, and never made it to the "release preview" ring.

They let marketing dictate the release, and that is not ok.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I sit on the RC ring just so I don't have to wait for updates. I thought it was weird that they totally skipped it.

• Options
    so for those not keeping score: Today is November 5th. Windows 10 version 1809, which was completed in September, and called the October update, has still not been re-released to the general public.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    It's still amazing to me that somehow Server 2019 also got caught up in this mess. It's still not even available on MSDN as far as I can tell.

• Options
    Sort of related: I found my Surface Pro 2017 had a bad "spot" in the backlight panel. Just started over the last week.

Drove 90 minutes to the nearest Microsoft Store, preparing to bow and scrape (and wincing at the idea of a repair fee). They checked the S/N, and told me they'd swap it out that day (they didn't even ask me for a proof of purchase, which is kind of hilarious--what if I'd stolen it?).

Worth the 90 minute drive, left very happy. I would've been happier if they had those metal Xbox pins I've wanted to buy one of for a while, but you can't win them all.

Also, that update needs the hurry the fuck up, I want my new camera integration in W.M.R. already!

• Options
    Anybody else with AVG unable to update the virus definitions?

• Options
    Use Revo to rip it out and reinstall it.

• Options
    I already tried to re-install and it fails to connect during the process. I am also unable to download a new installer directly from AVG.

I don't want to uninstall and then not be able to install it leaving me without AV. I switched to AVG because Avast was hogging system resources. Until two days ago, AVG worked just fine.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You can't download directly from AVG? As in through your browser? That's...not right.

Give Avira a try maybe, but that not being able to download issue is weird and slightly concerning.

• Options
    I keep getting a 'something went wrong' message in Firefox. When I tried to reinstall, it apparently downloaded the five or so megs it needed and then just didn't give a shit about the rest and failed out.

• Options
    Try a different browser?

• Options
    Managed to finally get the installer to work, but it was tremendously slow.

I may look into Avira since AVG was bought by Avast and I'd quit Avast because it got too bloated. As it is, AVG constantly bugs me to upgrade or run a process that only works for people who've upgraded and they changed their GUI to remind you that upgrading is awesome.

Their android app is also particularly shitty in that regard.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Avira gives you a pop up to upgrade, but only once a day at most.

• Options
    If you don't feel comfortable with Defender and want something extra, maybe buy a copy of Bit Defender? It's well rated.