As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man, seeing that UPF reminds me that I really don't want to build another PC. Ok scratch that. Install a new video card? Fine. A new hard drive? Sure. A new processor? Noooo thanks.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Building my new PC in September I somehow had or somehow managed to bend pin on my CPU socket.
    This happened when I was building my SO's PC early this year. Don't worry, it wasn't your fault (unless you tried really hard somehow), with how those things are designed nowadays it's more or less impossible for you to do it yourself, much more likely it was a factory defect.
    We likewise just returned the motherboard and after they saw what the problem was they simply exchanged it, no questions asked.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Man, seeing that UPF reminds me that I really don't want to build another PC. Ok scratch that. Install a new video card? Fine. A new hard drive? Sure. A new processor? Noooo thanks.

CPU is easy, it's the coolers that get a bit complicated but nothing too bad if you read the instructions. If you're not overclocking you could just get a stock cooler and that's literally just clicking 4 things into place, no backplates or anything else.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The problem with the cooler is that Jeff couldn't find the manual and assumed it didn't come with one.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Installing hardware is one of the few things where I fully endorse YouTube instructional videos. "Oh, this is weird and not immediately intuitive, let's watch someone do it physically. Okay, got it."

[edit] Watching that UPF and man, Dan is in shape to just play DDR straight for so long.

Glal on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Glal wrote: »
    Building my new PC in September I somehow had or somehow managed to bend pin on my CPU socket.
    This happened when I was building my SO's PC early this year. Don't worry, it wasn't your fault (unless you tried really hard somehow), with how those things are designed nowadays it's more or less impossible for you to do it yourself, much more likely it was a factory defect.
    We likewise just returned the motherboard and after they saw what the problem was they simply exchanged it, no questions asked.

There is a chance I somehow bent the pin but as careful as I was I kind of doubt it. Shit happens I guess.

EVGA, who I called first to try and work through with them why the PC would't post, were awesome. I was willing to pay them a small fee to have them fix the pin, but they were also totally ok with me RMA'ing through Amazon so I'd get a replacement faster. The rep told me whatever I want to do is ok because it'll end up back with them either way. I paid far too much for my motherboard but the level of customer service I received from EVGA was worth the cost.

Amazon was also helpful even though it took multiple phone calls, multiple changes to what kind of return I was doing, and me spending an additional $50 to get a new motherboard from a third party Amazon partner reseller. I still need to leave some less than positive feedback to the reseller for buying Amazon's stock and raising the price on the motherboard $50. Thanks to them, Amazon just got the motherboard back in stock, and multiple resellers have undercut the seller I bought it from (I was possibly his only sale). Now they're stuck selling the remaining ones, about 15-17 of them at a loss.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I think setting up my water-cooling system was probably 70% of the build time when I put this rig together back in Feb. The problem I had was due how my mobo was laid out, the hoses were just a smidge too long and I couldn't actually mount the radiator at the rear case slot. Ended up mounting it on the front of the case, and it was totally worth it due to how quiet it is.

Got even quieter when I swapped the old video card out for a 1070.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My favorite was when CPU fans had the brilliant idea of requiring you to stab a screwdriver down at your motherboard in order to attach/detach the anchor thingies. If you slipped out you had the wonderful chance of skimming across the motherboard and completely killing it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    My favorite was when CPU fans had the brilliant idea of requiring you to stab a screwdriver down at your motherboard in order to attach/detach the anchor thingies. If you slipped out you had the wonderful chance of skimming across the motherboard and completely killing it.

What? That's perfectly sound engineering.

screwd320.jpg

No chance of you slipping on that retention clip and fucking up a couple of DIMMS at all.

Rest in pieces Socket A you goddamn thing you.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm going to be building a new PC in December or January and just hearing these stories about mishaps makes me cringe a little. I've built something like 6 PCs since 2003, but almost every time I've done it I had to relearn stuff. It's not difficult for the most part, but I've also shied away from stuff that might be more difficult. I've never overclocked my processors and I've always used the stock cooler that came with them. I've never even used thermal paste! Just the the thermal pad stuff already affixed to the heatsink.

My father-in-law, who knows way more about PCs than I do, apparently told my wife that I should talk to him before I buy my parts. I have a feeling he's going to try and convince me to go the watercooling route. He's also been trying to sell me on doing something with virtual machines, getting multiboot systems going and using Mac OS. I don't really want to do any of those things. He likes to talk about how great his PCs are for gaming, but I honestly don't think he plays anything beyond the first few minutes.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That M2 ssd is wild. I totally had no idea those things existed until a few days ago.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'm going to be building a new PC in December or January and just hearing these stories about mishaps makes me cringe a little. I've built something like 6 PCs since 2003, but almost every time I've done it I had to relearn stuff. It's not difficult for the most part, but I've also shied away from stuff that might be more difficult. I've never overclocked my processors and I've always used the stock cooler that came with them. I've never even used thermal paste! Just the the thermal pad stuff already affixed to the heatsink.

My father-in-law, who knows way more about PCs than I do, apparently told my wife that I should talk to him before I buy my parts. I have a feeling he's going to try and convince me to go the watercooling route. He's also been trying to sell me on doing something with virtual machines, getting multiboot systems going and using Mac OS. I don't really want to do any of those things. He likes to talk about how great his PCs are for gaming, but I honestly don't think he plays anything beyond the first few minutes.

Yea nah, that sounds way too complicated.

Get the latest greatest i5 processor with stock cooler, compatible mobo, Nvidia 1070 and 16gb of ram with a copy of win10. You'll destroy any current game at 1080p and most games at 1440p.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    m.2 is really neat. I thought about getting one when I built my PC but I decided instead to get a 1TB SSD for less money than the 512 m.2. I don't regret it, especially since the performance gains from m.2 aren't super great, since at some point you're waiting on the rest of the system. And it's really nice just being able to toss whatever I want on SSD without worrying about it.

they boot fast as hell though, that is nuts.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I decided for skip a NVMe M.2 drive because for my uses I'd never see the performance gains versus my 3 month old 850 EVO. Would it be faster? Yeah maybe but not $350 dollars faster when loading games, watching videos, listening to music, or surfing the internet which is all I use my PC for. From the PC being off to looking at my desktop takes about 20 seconds.

I think once they reach the $200 range for a 500gb and $300 for 1TB then I'll consider buying one.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Re: Dan's DDR shenanigans. Yup! He may be en route to Diabetes but I'm pretty sure I can't play DDR for that long. If only he didn't have such a shitty diet...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well remember, he used to be a runner (in an attempt to offset his diet) and he goes to the gym.

So he has some stamina, at least.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Which DDR did Dan play?

• Options
    Japanese versions of 5th and either 3rd or 2nd Remix.

Whichever one doesn't have Butterfly on it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think he played 2nd which actually does have Butterfly, and he just didn't find it

• Options
    I decided for skip a NVMe M.2 drive because for my uses I'd never see the performance gains versus my 3 month old 850 EVO. Would it be faster? Yeah maybe but not $350 dollars faster when loading games, watching videos, listening to music, or surfing the internet which is all I use my PC for. From the PC being off to looking at my desktop takes about 20 seconds.

I think once they reach the $200 range for a 500gb and $300 for 1TB then I'll consider buying one.

Intel 1TB M2 drive for $300 on sale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167385

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    that's a sata drive and not a nvme drive tho, none of the speed increase for switching to m.2

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I think when Brad says "people are saying," what he means is "I looked at Reddit for like 10 mins before this podcast."

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    I think when Brad says "people are saying," what he means is "I looked at Reddit for like 10 mins before this podcast."

Yeah, Brad's "research" tends to be a gut feeling complimented by thirty seconds of browsing the front page of NeoGAF, followed by declarative statements.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    that's a sata drive and not a nvme drive tho, none of the speed increase for switching to m.2

Ahh gotcha. Yea can't sort the NVME separately. I looked at a few and hot damn, those are some fast speeds. Seems like it would be useful if you were loading huge files, or a lot of small files like across a server or something. I'll stick to the standard 500ish speeds.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Just recently rebuilt my PC with my best friend who is a PC tech head. I sourced the parts on a budget and in a evening rebuilt it. Be utterly stuck if he had not helped so got him snacks and a copy of Doom as a thank you.

As for Mario Party 7, that was a painful 4ish hours. That canal track for the level drove me up the wall!

• Options
    I really need an extra hard drive. They usually go on sale around this time, yeah? Black Friday, Cyber Monday, holidays, etc.?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I really need an extra hard drive. They usually go on sale around this time, yeah? Black Friday, Cyber Monday, holidays, etc.?

I would say yes to the above though if it helps I would check Amazon as I sourced about half the parts on my latest build from there and picked up a Decent SSD just over £100.

Does anyone know when Jeff and Jason are going to do another ranking of fighters?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh my god I am dying during this "bigger, stop" segment of MPP

Jason is so great in the booth

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    As a complete PC building amateur watching those guys struggle with that cooler was maddening. While sorting those brackets for the liquid cooler is a little complicated if you just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS it is super simple. Considering how "in the know" Brad claims to be with that stuff I was pretty shocked by how much they were struggling.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Ironically, these guys often talk about how easy it is to put together your own PC, and then every time they try it on a stream, they have massive issues that make me uneasy about trying to do it. I'm not saying it isn't easy, but they sure do bung it up on the regular.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Yeah, you'd think that at least part of the appeal of doing the build on stream would be to actually leverage the chat a bit. Instead they were being stubborn and not taking any advice. When they were building on the mobo bag for example and chat told them only the inside is static proof. Jeff went on to say he's built multiple computers that way. Ok, fine. But it is literally doing you no good and is only making your life harder.

Go for it though. Granted, Rorie was doing a shit job of distilling what the chat was saying.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I think they did try to get chat's opinion, but as PC building goes, everything is colored by personal opinion. They were getting multiple, often conflicting opinions on how to do things. Maybe I'm just miss remembering, but I recall basically every variation of how to mount the radiator and fans coming from chat.

That being said, opening packages before hand to show off the parts probably didn't help much either. Maybe they wouldn't have missed every single instruction manual on the way Waste-of-Timesville.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    I don't think anyone who is saying "Why didn't they just listen to chat?" has ever been in chat during a live stream. You can't parse any of it, esp if you're building an expensive computer while doing it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone who is saying "Why didn't they just listen to chat?" has ever been in chat during a live stream. You can't parse any of it, esp if you're building an expensive computer while doing it.

I don't even know why big sites even bother with chat. It's impossible to read.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Always listen to chat: Never listen to chat.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

I was in there and you're not wrong. That said, most everybody in chat was saying the same thing about which bracket to use (it's as simple as knowing what CPU you're putting in). Plus Will Smith was in there actively trying to help - they should've called him!

As for where to place the radiator, yeah that was a gong show. It's completely up to the builder but of course chat was making it sound like if you put it in a less than ideal space you were going to break your pc and then die from Tuberculosis.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Rorie seems really bad at relaying info about anything accurately. He always adds his own assumptions and suppositions and presents them as fact. When he talks about WoW I cringe because despite seeming to play it a lot he often talks about things that are flat out untrue. His computer build assistance was frustrating in a similar way.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Rorie just doesn't work on camera or on the podcast.

He seems like a decent dude, but he just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the GB guys when it comes to being in the spotlight for multiple hours.

He's like Bizarro Dan; they both have wrong information a lot of the time, but Dan at least acknowledges he doesn't know shit outside of his own little world, tries to do better, and is still entertaining while doing so. My parents don't care about GB, but they both laughed hysterically when I played the Egg Whites bit to them, and I even lent my copy of Anxiety As An Ally to my mom so she could get some insight into my own dealings with anxiety and see a bit more of this silly gaming hobby of mine.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    I think Rorie is fine when he's talent. I like how since he was there since the old days, he is able to make Jeff laugh about stupid shit they both know about.

He is indispensable behind the scenes.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I have built PCs before, and this showed that if I ever give up laptops I'm going to just buy parts and have a local shop assemble it.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.