As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Second and Final DLC OUT NOW!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2 is good and well-made

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    If I had to pick my favorite, maybe Dark Souls 1. I haven't played it in a few years (the PC port is really bad), but it felt like the most cohesive world of the three. Dark Souls 2 was the weirdest in this regard. The continuity connecting areas made zero sense. Still really fun though.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'd like a re release on Dark Souls on PS4. I can barely remember it outside of being quite impressed at how the world all slotted together

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    AFAIK everything wrong with DS1 on PC is fixed by DSFix?

At least, that's the way I played it and nothing stood out as bad (except the first time I played it, when I tried to use the keyboard).

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    AFAIK everything wrong with DS1 on PC is fixed by DSFix?

At least, that's the way I played it and nothing stood out as bad (except the first time I played it, when I tried to use the keyboard).
    Most of it. You still need an additional program to make connecting with other people even remotely possible.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    FWIW, I played it on PC last year without any mods and it ran fine (even had invasions happen too). GTX 970 card was probably overkill for the game though so I imagine that's why.

I did try to get DSFix to run, but the game wouldn't start with it on for whatever reason.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It's sort of odd how the extra pursuers stop showing up after a point in scholar of the first sin. Is there a lore reason? It feels like they just didn't get around to adding spawns beyond the first few maps

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It's sort of odd how the extra pursuers stop showing up after a point in scholar of the first sin. Is there a lore reason? It feels like they just didn't get around to adding spawns beyond the first few maps

I believe that they actually intended the pursuer to appear that often originally and then had to scale it back. Maybe they felt that after the dozen times you end up fighting him that was enough? By that point you have pretty much fought him in every conceivable type of battleground.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    guys I need your help.
    This game is currently on sale and I don't know if it's worth it or not and whether or not I need the DLC.

I enjoy games such as DMC/GoW on their harder difficulties, advise me!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I mean, the double Pursuer spawn is in Castle Drangleic. That's only on NG+ though.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    guys I need your help.
    This game is currently on sale and I don't know if it's worth it or not and whether or not I need the DLC.

Did you play the previous two? And did you like them?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    guys I need your help.

Did you play the previous two? And did you like them?

I have never touched a dark souls game.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dark Souls DLC ranges from pretty good to must have. So if you're jumping into the series' deep end, get it all.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Then I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with 3! For one, like half of Dark Souls 3 is references to Dark Souls 1.

As for whether you'd like it, well, Dark Souls has extremely little to do with GoW or DMC. DMC is a game based on combos and precise inputs and keeping your combat rhythm going, where Dark Souls generally goes for a slower tack, with positioning and punishing being much more important. Dark Souls rewards observing and caution, and punishes wading in like you're Rambo. If that sounds like a thing you'd enjoy, try it out.

It's also nowhere near as hard as the top difficulties of DMC. I find it more satisfying personally though.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Then I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with 3! For one, like half of Dark Souls 3 is references to Dark Souls 1.

As for whether you'd like it, well, Dark Souls has extremely little to do with GoW or DMC. DMC is a game based on combos and precise inputs and keeping your combat rhythm going, where Dark Souls generally goes for a slower tack, with positioning and punishing being much more important. Dark Souls rewards observing and caution, and punishes wading in like you're Rambo. If that sounds like a thing you'd enjoy, try it out.

It's also nowhere near as hard as the top difficulties of DMC. I find it more satisfying personally though.

The flip side is I played Dark Souls 3 without having played 1 or 2 and had a blast. The game does a decent enough job of explaining what you are doing without needing much digging, though a lot of side nods will be lost.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Noticed that steam has a DS3 sale going on, here's something i think is odd:

steam currently has an "Add all DLC to cart" option for DS3 which puts DLC #1, DLC #2, and the season pass in the cart, despite the fact that there is no more DLC and therefore the season pass is a $25 charge for nothingness?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »

steam currently has an "Add all DLC to cart" option for DS3 which puts DLC #1, DLC #2, and the season pass in the cart, despite the fact that there is no more DLC and therefore the season pass is a $25 charge for nothingness?
    Just buy the season pass instead. It's 24.99 while the DLCs seperate add to 29.98

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I played DS3 before I played any other Soulsborne game and loved it, I'd recommend it with no reservations.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Being the worst Dark Souls game is still a pretty high position in the overall video games hierarchy.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Being the worst Dark Souls game is still a pretty high position in the overall video games hierarchy.

When did somebody bring up DS2?

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

When did somebody bring up DS2?

Top of the page

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I really wish they'd do a remaster of Demon Souls. I haven't played that since 2009 and I think it would have a much larger audience this time round. I know it's not going to happen but a man can dream.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I dunno. I have a feeling a lot of people wouldn't be able to get into it due to how much jankier it is than even DS1

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

You got my hopes up, I thought the DLC was finally on sale.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I've been playing DS3 thanks to a recent sale and read through this and a previous thread, shying away from spoilers. I know I unlocked the first DLC (and then immediately ran away when I realized what it was since I'm a lowbie) but where's the second?

Progress has been good, someone jolly co-op'd me through
    Pontiff
    but I had to solo down
    Aldrich
    which was very satisying to pull off. I've been using a fire longsword the entire game so far and nothing has shown up that makes me want to switch with a skill build. Anything I might want to keep an eye out for? I beat DS1 using a straight sword and the zweihander but here I've seen no reason to ditch my shield, except on a very few fights. I glanced at a "map" to see what areas I might have missed and oh jeez I have missed a lot.

Loving the lore stuff in DS3 so far but I need to sit down with a bunch of Vaati vidya or something when I finish the game.
    Aldrich is wearing the corpse of the secret boss from DS1 and man that's cool

Seen tons of complaints about the PvP but I've actually kinda enjoyed it so far? I haven't been invaded much in DS1 or DS2 when I went through those and the few times here have been pretty interesting. I've also WON most of them, shockingly. Tried to sunbro for people a few times but wasn't ever summoned. Went through one of the covenant pvp areas (even had a message warning of invaders on approach) and got invaded once, but only once. Are people not playing DS3 much anymore?

Also it's a very very pretty game.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I've been playing DS3 thanks to a recent sale and read through this and a previous thread, shying away from spoilers. I know I unlocked the first DLC (and then immediately ran away when I realized what it was since I'm a lowbie) but where's the second?

You have to beat the first dlc or reach the end of the main game to access it.

Aistan on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Seen tons of complaints about the PvP but I've actually kinda enjoyed it so far? I haven't been invaded much in DS1 or DS2 when I went through those and the few times here have been pretty interesting. I've also WON most of them, shockingly. Tried to sunbro for people a few times but wasn't ever summoned. Went through one of the covenant pvp areas (even had a message warning of invaders on approach) and got invaded once, but only once. Are people not playing DS3 much anymore?

It depends heavily on your level and your weapon upgrade level. If you're severely under- (or over-)leveled or your highest upgraded weapon is under a certain level, then you're not going to see many invasions.

Also make sure you're not running a password on accident, as that locks you out of being summoned unless someone else has the password.

DS3 is still pretty active on PC and even more so on PS4, but it's kinda dead on Xbone.

As for complaints about the PvP, most complaints boil down to roll spam and hosts calling endless summons to fight the invader. Roll spam is a problem (though it can be mitigated if you know what you're doing), but I've grown to enjoy the challenge of having to face down multiple opponents when I invade. Like Saint_Riot says, DS3 is the only game in the entire franchise where he feels nervous going into an invasion, instead of in any other given title where even a slightly PvP-oriented build and a smattering of experience means you're likely going to absolutely steamroll most randos you come across.

Like, I've been going through DS2 again recently, and most invaders seem to be so used to just fighting fodder newbies who don't know much about mechanics using their absurd gimmick builds that when they face someone with a thousand+ hours in the series, they get wrecked.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKLihlSpaU
    The cop applauding was fun.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Suddenly crashing the second character models load on character creation or load screens.

Just installed the new AMD drivers so I guess I get to play 'reinstall, rollback, or unrelated' for a while.

edit: Not sure what it was, exactly. Reinstall and rollback didn't help. It wasn't from changing browsers to Firefox. So I went and set it to Windows 8+Admin compatibility randomly and it launches and works fine.

Wonder if it was a Steam issue, since it was firing up with the Big Picture overlays and now it launches with normal Steam stuff.

Kamar on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Bought this on the Xbox and started to play, I think I spend most of my time quoting Tom Hardy from Mad Max - "That's bait."

Pretty rusty, but I got to the second boss, the big guy with the mace and the frostbite damage. Took him to 10% going in blind, I guess I can be happy with that. Lured some dude with the uchigitana into falling to his death, which was delightful.

I think my favourite part so far was finding a crystal lizard, which I don't remember seeing since the days of Demons' Souls. Not sure if I'm just going to play blind or read up on builds and stats.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Bought this on the Xbox and started to play, I think I spend most of my time quoting Tom Hardy from Mad Max - "That's bait."

Pretty rusty, but I got to the second boss, the big guy with the mace and the frostbite damage. Took him to 10% going in blind, I guess I can be happy with that. Lured some dude with the uchigitana into falling to his death, which was delightful.

I think my favourite part so far was finding a crystal lizard, which I don't remember seeing since the days of Demons' Souls. Not sure if I'm just going to play blind or read up on builds and stats.

The lizards are in all three games actually. Always worth killing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Not the big ones though, that are actual enemies to fight. Those are unique to DaS3.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not the big ones though, that are actual enemies to fight. Those are unique to DaS3.

They're kinda/sorta the titanite demon equivalent though

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

They're kinda/sorta the titanite demon equivalent though

I suppose you can draw parallel there, sure.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Dark Souls 2 is, and will forever remain, my favorite Dark Souls game. While I think Dark Souls 1 is really amazing, and really tight pre-Lord Vessel, I think it falls off the fucking reservation post Lord Vessel. I think the last half of Dark Souls is the worst section of Soulsborning in any of the games. Everything after Arno Londo is just...bleh. The bosses aren't fun, the areas aren't fun, even the mooks are kind of annoying and not fun.

Though, as someone said earlier, being the least enjoyable part of a Soulsborne game is still really high praise and a high bar because the games, as a group, are made so incredibly well.

Dark Souls 3 is in the middle for me. I love it, I really do, but I have no desire to play it over and over the way I do DaS2.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

Dark Souls 2 is, and will forever remain, my favorite Dark Souls game. While I think Dark Souls 1 is really amazing, and really tight pre-Lord Vessel, I think it falls off the fucking reservation post Lord Vessel. I think the last half of Dark Souls is the worst section of Soulsborning in any of the games. Everything after Arno Londo is just...bleh. The bosses aren't fun, the areas aren't fun, even the mooks are kind of annoying and not fun.

Though, as someone said earlier, being the least enjoyable part of a Soulsborne game is still really high praise and a high bar because the games, as a group, are made so incredibly well.

Dark Souls 3 is in the middle for me. I love it, I really do, but I have no desire to play it over and over the way I do DaS2.

I'm the opposite. The hitboxes on 1 and 3 are fantastic. On 2, they're barely passable. Still a fun game, but heavily flawed in comparison.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    I guess I've never really thought about the hitboxes in a Dark Souls game. I also don't PvP, so maybe that's why?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Ha, I don't remember seeing them at all in the past ones. Guess I haven't replayed those in a while.

• Options
    I hated DS2 my first time through.

It's probably my favorite now, and it's definitely the one I've played the most.

But hating it the first time through wasn't because I just didn't get it or anything. There's some bullshit in that game.