As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Republican Primary Continues to Happen

19495969798100»

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    As a giant goddamned surprise to absofuckinlutely nobody on the planet, Trump campaign chair: We’ll pick a white man for VP. Anything else would be “pandering.”

edit: Apparently this was originally reported on HuffPo yesterday, so possibly old news by now.

...Well, he's not wrong about the pandering part.

My money remains on Anne Coulter.

Not. Cool.

I read it as a "Trump Lies" post, didn't occur to me until this moment that might have been a joke in poor taste. If so, I agree, not cool, but I guess I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt?

Considering the history of transphobic attacks leveled at Coulter online, I find it harder to do so.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also, in "Jesus Christ, why would you blurt out the truth like that" news...

These fucking people.

Because they suffer nothing for it? Especially with a 4-4 SCOTUS, they can flat out admit "We don't want democrats voting" and nothing can be done.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    kaid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump has a case of just saying random things with no intention on following through with any of them. It is one of the things that makes him most scary as a candidate nobody can tell what insane thing he just comes out with he is kidding about and which ones he means and it changes moment by moment. That is no way to run the country with the largest military in the world.

I read an interesting idea the other day about Trump being slander proof. Ya see, comments are evaluated for slander in the context they're made and as if you were somebody familiar with the source. (Super important for parody.) Donald lies all the fucking time. In that context and being familiar with that, can he even legally slander somebody?

The lesson is lie early, lie often, lie obviously.

Like, as in he'd be hard to sue for slander? Hardly, when his reputation is LYING and to defend against slander he would have to assert that the statement is truthful. Slander is false statements about another person that are published to others and cause actual harm to the person's reputation. He's probably doing that every single day right now.

I'd argue the opposite - it's hard for HIM to sue someone else for slander because his reputation is shit, so how can he show harm?

So It Goes on
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

These fucking people.

Because they suffer nothing for it? Especially with a 4-4 SCOTUS, they can flat out admit "We don't want democrats voting" and nothing can be done.

Though he helped gut VRA, i'd have a time believing Kennedy would go for naked partisanship of quite that level.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Trump has a case of just saying random things with no intention on following through with any of them. It is one of the things that makes him most scary as a candidate nobody can tell what insane thing he just comes out with he is kidding about and which ones he means and it changes moment by moment. That is no way to run the country with the largest military in the world.

I read an interesting idea the other day about Trump being slander proof. Ya see, comments are evaluated for slander in the context they're made and as if you were somebody familiar with the source. (Super important for parody.) Donald lies all the fucking time. In that context and being familiar with that, can he even legally slander somebody?

Like, as in he'd be hard to sue for slander? Hardly, when his reputation is LYING and to defend against slander he would have to assert that the statement is truthful. Slander is false statements about another person that are published to others and cause actual harm to their reputation. He's probably doing that every single day right now.

I'd argue the opposite - it's hard for HIM to sue someone else for slander because his reputation is shit, so how can he show harm?

Truth is an absolute defense against slander, but to win a slander case you have to prove more than just that the person was lying and did harm. Especially in the case of a public figure, the standard they would have to prove is "actual malice" which is one of those legal terms that sounds a lot easier to prove than it actually is.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    It has to be pandering because they obviously don't believe a woman or non white man could do the job as well as a white guy.

Only way to interpret that.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

Like, as in he'd be hard to sue for slander? Hardly, when his reputation is LYING and to defend against slander he would have to assert that the statement is truthful. Slander is false statements about another person that are published to others and cause actual harm to their reputation. He's probably doing that every single day right now.

Truth is an absolute defense against slander, but to win a slander case you have to prove more than just that the person was lying and did harm. Especially in the case of a public figure, the standard they would have to prove is "actual malice" which is one of those legal terms that sounds a lot easier to prove than it actually is.

I just think his reputation (and proven record) of lying about literally anything and everything is not going to make him slander proof. He can still legally slander someone else, for sure.

I don't think this is lying so much as dissent in the ranks, though - especially if Manafort was the original source.

edited May 2016

I don't think this is lying so much as dissent in the ranks, though - especially if Manafort was the original source.

I am guessing Trump is lying when he says that Manafort was misquoted. That seems to be Trump's go to lie for when an underling says something Trump wants to contradict.

Edit:

How would it not be pandering if they seem to be looking for a woman or minority VP specifically instead of taking them into consideration like other potential VPs?

Edit: And the WWE event/debate might be back on!

Couscous on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I think the argument goes that much like the Onion a reader aware of the context of Trump would be aware that the statements are hyperbole/rhetorical flourishes/false.

Third to the last paragraph here specifically where he talks about "The Batshit Crazy" rule:
    https://popehat.com/2016/04/19/a-brief-review-of-cheryl-jacobus-defamation-suit-against-donald-trump-and-corey-lewandowski/

I'm not seriously asserting this makes him okay or legally sound or anything but more as an amusing concept. If all your statements are false it's hard to assert that the force of them is such it can do any damage to a person's reputation.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

I am guessing Trump is lying when he says that Manafort was misquoted. That seems to be Trump's go to lie for when an underling says something Trump wants to contradict.

Edit:

How would it not be pandering if they seem to be looking for a woman or minority VP specifically instead of taking them into consideration like other potential VPs?

Edit: And the WWE event/debate might be back on!

Someone needs to dig up that "BY GAWD, HE'S GOT A CHAIR" image.

Whoever is supposed to get that charity money should get it upfront if its anything like the veterans groups for the last non debate with Trump.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Whoever is supposed to get that charity money should get it upfront if its anything like the veterans groups for the last non debate with Trump.

Anyone dealing with Trump should get the money up front.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Cash only. Trump's checks bounce harder than fact-checking questions ricochet off his $7000 suit, COME ON

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

These fucking people.

It's off topic, so I'll just say fuck this shit and leave it at that.

On topic: Trump press conference just now: "absolutely we will build the keystone pipeline, but America will get some of the profits as a part of the deal. That's just part of how we'll make America rich again."

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It seems pretty obvious that Trump does not want the Native American vote.

He keeps leaning into the Pocahontas bit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »

He is in North Dakota. North Dakota is 5.4% Native American compared to 1.2% nationally. He really can't help himself when it comes to being a bully.

edited May 2016
    Trump condemns wind turbines for killing eagles. Here are the actual facts on that: http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/wind-turbine-kill-birds.htm

tl;dr: they kill pretty few birds.

Couscous on

He also slagged on the NM Governor for daring to miss his event. Man is just an asshole who can't stand anyone not bowing to him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Trump condemns wind turbines for killing eagles. Here are the actual facts on that: http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/wind-turbine-kill-birds.htm

Everyone stand back, I got this!

don-quixote-windmill.jpg

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

These fucking people.

...I can't help myself, I guess.

The state is using the 3 reddest counties in wisconsin, which are 95%+ white, to defend their policies against claims of disproportional impact along racial lines. They also claimed that because the counties get all their local news from Milwaukee (They ring around Milwaukee, white flight at its best) based tv channels, it would confuse their voters (reality: make them angry that their representatives are actively screwing them over and not the blacks) if Milwaukee county was open on weekends with multiple locations to vote early and their counties didn't.

If the courts ultimately buys this defense I think I will officially be done with this state.

Veevee on

It's actually worse than you described it:

He actually thinks that being told he's offensive is validation.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    As a giant goddamned surprise to absofuckinlutely nobody on the planet, Trump campaign chair: We’ll pick a white man for VP. Anything else would be “pandering.”

edit: Apparently this was originally reported on HuffPo yesterday, so possibly old news by now.

...Well, he's not wrong about the pandering part.

My money remains on Anne Coulter.

Not. Cool.

I read it as a "Trump Lies" post, didn't occur to me until this moment that might have been a joke in poor taste. If so, I agree, not cool, but I guess I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt?

Considering the history of transphobic attacks leveled at Coulter online, I find it harder to do so.

:|

I apologize; it was not intended as transphobic. I have said for a long time that I thought Trump would nominate Anne Coulter, based on her support for him. That isn't a joke or a jab.

I don't think his campaign is being honest about the nomination vetting process.

With Love and Courage
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

It's actually worse than you described it:

He actually thinks that being told he's offensive is validation.

At this point, why wouldn't he?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hold off on making a new thread, for a minute.

528500159_EHxUb-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.