As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    haha I was Ork'ing it up a lot at the end of the beta for that exact reason. I love the new WAAGH! towers.

Those towers are hilarious

Reminds me of Fury Road

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah, as someone who played mostly Ork I found the atmosphere to be great. Voice acting is exactly what I wanted, and sync kills were easily forgotten about with Orks screaming while blaring metal from their towers. The animations for it are pretty amazing too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    I've been reading and listening to criticisms of DOW3, and been really fascinated by them.

We might need a new generation of kids before we get a RTS renaissance. As it is, people our age can't seem to pick up a new RTS game without tons of baggage from all the other games we've played during our lifetime.

Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 had cover. Cover was fun. So, this game ought to have cover.
    Those games had retreating. Retreating was useful when my units got in trouble. It's unpleasant to not have that option in this game, when I was used to it from the others. So, this game ought to have retreating.
    And so on and so forth.

And at the same time, I'm hearing criticisms that the game isn't doing enough that's different. It's just features from other stale genres blended into a new form. (Aside: Isn't that how most new things get made? Ingredients that you've seen before tend to taste different when combined in a way that you haven't seen before.)

I feel like many of my friends aren't meeting the game where it is. They aren't letting themselves enjoy it for what it is. They have the game in their head that they wish they were playing, and compare the actual game to that imaginary thing.

Which is a shame because I think I'd really like to get into team games for this one.

I don't know that it's a case of people just being old. Or maybe it is, because we remember that DOW used to be different than generic RTSs. Now it doesn't feel like it is?

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah, as someone who played mostly Ork I found the atmosphere to be great. Voice acting is exactly what I wanted, and sync kills were easily forgotten about with Orks screaming while blaring metal from their towers. The animations for it are pretty amazing too.

"Orks orks orks orks"

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    So... Midnight release?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Evigilant wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »

"Orks orks orks orks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxcq4I0kAo

Waaaahoooo!

Orks is 'bes.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    I've been reading and listening to criticisms of DOW3, and been really fascinated by them.

We might need a new generation of kids before we get a RTS renaissance. As it is, people our age can't seem to pick up a new RTS game without tons of baggage from all the other games we've played during our lifetime.

Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 had cover. Cover was fun. So, this game ought to have cover.
    Those games had retreating. Retreating was useful when my units got in trouble. It's unpleasant to not have that option in this game, when I was used to it from the others. So, this game ought to have retreating.
    And so on and so forth.

And at the same time, I'm hearing criticisms that the game isn't doing enough that's different. It's just features from other stale genres blended into a new form. (Aside: Isn't that how most new things get made? Ingredients that you've seen before tend to taste different when combined in a way that you haven't seen before.)

I feel like many of my friends aren't meeting the game where it is. They aren't letting themselves enjoy it for what it is. They have the game in their head that they wish they were playing, and compare the actual game to that imaginary thing.

Which is a shame because I think I'd really like to get into team games for this one.

I don't know that it's a case of people just being old. Or maybe it is, because we remember that DOW used to be different than generic RTSs. Now it doesn't feel like it is?

DoW at its base wasn't that different as a dude who played insane amounts of RTSes from SC to C&C to even the weird outliers like Heroes of M&M Lords thing.

The base game was build a base, get units, get a bigger base, build units, fight.

The biggest changes were the victory point game style for MP. And it was just a solid game. Even some of the stuff like the Soulstorm style conquest map was in games like Rise of Nations and such too.

It was a good RTS with some unique designs and some neat factions that were not carbon copies of each other and were okay balanced. But I think it is more fondly remembered because of the IP and what they did with it and how they built a decent RTS out of it than it being a really different RTS.

DoW2 was the most unique of the series. And probably now my most played.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I feel like DoW 1 was pretty different mechanically, but the size of maps etc. and general structure made it feel very similar to other games at the time. Squads, capturing points that provided steady income (rather than harvesting), retreat, sync kills, hero units, ultimate units.

CoH is where the real breakaway begins, with territorial control, a really big emphasis on unit chatter, and honestly, just, the game engine with its incredible explosions, vehicle debris, vehicle part destruction, and doctrines. I think it was really the first RTS that completely blew me away since Total Annihilation.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    I have made peace with my reservations and have been having some serious Ork withdrawals since the beta ended. The base building and map control reminds me a lot of RA3 (one of my favorites) and the army stuff feels a lot like WC3 (also one of my favorites). I am more then OK with this.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I feel like DoW 1 was pretty different mechanically, but the size of maps etc. and general structure made it feel very similar to other games at the time. Squads, capturing points that provided steady income (rather than harvesting), retreat, sync kills, hero units, ultimate units.

CoH is where the real breakaway begins, with territorial control, a really big emphasis on unit chatter, and honestly, just, the game engine with its incredible explosions, vehicle debris, vehicle part destruction, and doctrines. I think it was really the first RTS that completely blew me away since Total Annihilation.

Steady income was from TA which is years before DoW1 and ended up in a mix of different RTS games through the years. Squads were common for infantry in a lot of games before DoW the reinforcement mechanic though was different and how they built up was also different.

Hero units and ultimates were War3 which was years before also again TA had ultimate units more like DoW1.

It was a mish mash but it worked really well with the setting and was polished. And the fact DoW1 wasn't a quick cash in on the IP also helped a lot.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I think it was really the first RTS that completely blew me away since Total Annihilation.

Now I feel like playing SupCom while waiting for DoW3. (PA didn't quite scratch that itch)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    https://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-story-of-dawn-of-war-3-a-new-dawn/2300-6438401/

ack, this video hurts my heart. talks about Morningstar and Atlas, our original cracks at DoW3 in the THQ days and how their collapse affected them....

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    (morningstar getting cancelled was a huge career setback for me)

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Interesting stuff in that vid, can't imagine it was easy to go through.

What was the unit in the atlas(?) prototype though? The ork with some form of claw and backpack? Doesn't look like a warboss so I'm assuming something different?

• Options
    @Matrias can you beg for a colorblind friendly option to teamcolors/hp bars? I really want to play this game and not feel like someone staring at one of those magic 3d pictures who can't actually see it.

• Options
    altid wrote: »

What was the unit in the atlas(?) prototype though? The ork with some form of claw and backpack? Doesn't look like a warboss so I'm assuming something different?

mad dok grotsnik. atlus was going to lean heavy on cannon characters (something we walked back on for DOWIII)

• Options
    @Matrias can you beg for a colorblind friendly option to teamcolors/hp bars? I really want to play this game and not feel like someone staring at one of those magic 3d pictures who can't actually see it.

@dispatch.o what do you mean? do you mean the selection silhouette? and the hp bars on the unit decorators? so the blue stuff causing trouble? is that correct?

i'll bring it up in with our UI guys, but could be a long bit before it can be addressed.

if it makes your life easier you can actually turn those elements off (no decorators or silhouettes).

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Matrias wrote: »

@dispatch.o what do you mean? do you mean the selection silhouette? and the hp bars on the unit decorators? so the blue stuff causing trouble? is that correct?

i'll bring it up in with our UI guys, but could be a long bit before it can be addressed.

if it makes your life easier you can actually turn those elements off (no decorators or silhouettes).

An option to just change the unit select silhouette color would probably go a long way.

Red and Green look almost identical to me depending on the shade. Which means that Blue and Purple are hard to distinguish as well. It's actually the most common form of colorblindness and you probably have people in your office with the same issue. 1 in 12 men have some form of color deficiency and red-green is the most common.

Truth be told, I will probably still buy it and just find a very obnoxious color to paint my army and then get used to it. I wasn't any good at it, I have my issues with not being able to play against AI in the beta to learn the hotkeys and unit types etc. Oddly though, games I'm the worst at make me want to play them the most.

Edit: I'll probably try and disable that stuff come retail and see if it helps.

My universal request in videogames is allow teamcolors, crosshairs and mouse-cursors to have color options.

Edit2:
    Handy Article with pictures comparing normal vision to color deficient vision.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

mad dok grotsnik. atlus was going to lean heavy on cannon characters (something we walked back on for DOWIII)

Characters with cannons or canon characters like Yarick and the like?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

aren't those one and the same in this setting

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Characters who are also miniatures.

Matrias on
  • Options

Grots and Ratlings?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZVg2gFSDg

same video as before, but in youtube

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I decided to pre-order, and I'm happy to see that the release date has crept up so quickly. If anyone wants to multiplayer in the next few days add me on Steam, it's definitely better playing with not pubbies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

Drovek wrote: »

Grots and Ratlings?

They should make some felinid miniatures.

Don't those count as abhumans somehow?

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    hmmm 10am unlock? That seems weird. Got up a bit early today to play a bit before work. I guess not.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Yeah. I was seriously considering staying home today to check this out.
    I guess I'll have to be satisfied with preloading the game last night.

Definitely want to play a single player mission or 5 before going online and getting owned.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    If your region says the game should be unlocked and Steam isn't allowing you to play, close and restart steam. That's what I had to do.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    I am waiting to hear what folks say about the single player before buying it. I did enjoy the multiplayer and actually wanted to play more after the beta ended.

I do wish they did a last stand mode, fuck I loved that in DoW2.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Well I'm enjoying getting back up to just below average at the game instead of completely mediocre by playing against AI a bit. Bonus is you earn your elite exp and skulls as long as AI is above normal difficulty.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Is the campaign taking the DoW2 approach of having squads that get loot and abilities over time? I'm not really an RTS guy but I super liked the DoW2 campaign.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I doubt it; there does not seem to be UI in place to support equipment.

EDIT: n.m they have the whole death watch / tactical squad upgrade system

Kruite on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    How is the online matchmaking? Interface, ease of use, friends list?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    progression is around awarding new elite (hero) units instead of gear for units.

• Options
    progression is around awarding new elite (hero) units instead of gear for units.

How long is the expected time to unlock everything non-cosmetic?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    You get Elite XP from doing the campaign, which is really nice.

Played the first three missions, getting a real DoW 1 vibe from them (a continuing and pleasant theme). I wonder if there'll be anything as meat grindy as the Eldar Stronghold from Dark Crusade.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Are there any elite units that weren't in open beta?

• Options
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Are there any elite units that weren't in open beta?

Yes. Lots.

Does anyone have a list of hotkeys/shortcuts?

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    To name a few,

Venerable Dreadnaught, Striking Scorpions, Regular Terminators (Ranged weapons), and the Space Marine Chaplain (Brother DIOMEDES OMG)

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Can't wait for work to be over so I can play thiiiiissss.

Regarding the campaign, do you choose which race to start as? My understanding is that there are separate campaigns for each race... I was thinking about starting with Eldar, since I never got to play with them in open beta weekend and need to learn what they do for multi...