As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Aw, sounds like there won't be a territorial-style campaign this time

Kinda bummed about that, that was one of the coolest parts of the Dawn of War games after a while

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Oi you gits , say it with me WAAAARGGGGGGGHHHH!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Kinda bummed about that, that was one of the coolest parts of the Dawn of War games after a while

Boo. But then in the original that came later with the expansions. I'd be fine with it coming in later. It was definitely the highlight of Dark Crusade, RISKing it up and taking territory for bonuses and what not.

Did you put an 'R' in there? You poser. Posork.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Im not sure how I feel about the announcement. I was kind of disappointed with dow2's race selection and multiplayer being pretty average. The campaign always bugged and crashed to the point I just never got past a couple missions. Similarly CoH2 wasnt as good as 1.

I think that unless they put in the tau, im probably going to skip it. Unless of course it gets glowing reviews from everywhere, Im not going to hold my breath.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Boo. But then in the original that came later with the expansions. I'd be fine with it coming in later. It was definitely the highlight of Dark Crusade, RISKing it up and taking territory for bonuses and what not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxcq4I0kAo

Orks ain't ment foar pronouncey... Pronou... WAAAAAGH!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Orks is best and have the best decision tree.

1270257777359.png

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Actually just got into 40 k when I bought the dawn of war franchise pack when it went on sale. So yeah not too knowledgeable other then I think orcs are by far the coolest and most interesting faction. Mekboys in particular seem really cool. Got to fix my pc so I can play the rest of the factions.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2016
    Basil wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxcq4I0kAo

Orks ain't ment foar pronouncey... Pronou... WAAAAAGH!

s583hlthmuur.png

Pip pip WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, and all that.

e:
    I wish I didn't hate painting miniatures, because I kind of want to mod a squad of orks with tophats and monocles now.

Morkath on
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The most important thing is that two minute Adrenal Gland Tyranid Warriors make a return at some point. Then all will be right with the world.

Astns on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    Astns wrote: »
    The most important thing is that two minute Adrenal Gland Tyranid Warriors make a return at some point. Then all will be right with the world.

>(

• Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    Astns wrote: »

>(

Embrace it...

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    That trailer is about the perfect levels of grim dark for the 40k universe. Love it.

Give me some Tau or Dark Eldar and I am in.

• Options
    MajorElintMajorElint Registered User regular

Warhammer: Total War is out later this month, but I have really been hoping they would give 40K the total war treatment.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Between DoW3, WH: Total War, Battlefleet Gothic, and Eternal Crusade... not to mention Vermintide earlier this year.

This is a great time to be a Warhammer fan.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    That trailer is about the perfect levels of grim dark for the 40k universe. Love it.

Give me some Tau or Dark Eldar and I am in.

I love how the Eldar wraithbone armor and gear looks like actual bone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    So stoked. Have some Chaos voice clips.

https://youtu.be/9-gSJW3sHXE?t=4m52s

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    For the Emperor, you filthy xenos.

Looking forward to more details in the coming months.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed DoW 2.

I just liked DoW 1 way more. I like base building, and watching piles of corpses form on my ridiculous defenses and then murder the crap out of the remaining enemies.

I am mostly a single player type, with online co op vs the AI.

Also there are some healthy hints that Necrons will be a fourth faction, either unplayable, ala Winter Assault, or hidden for hype machine reasons ala Tyranids for DoW 2 release.

We've never seen a 40k game with current-lore necrons, where apparently each necron now has a personality???

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed DoW 2.

I just liked DoW 1 way more. I like base building, and watching piles of corpses form on my ridiculous defenses and then murder the crap out of the remaining enemies.

I am mostly a single player type, with online co op vs the AI.

Also there are some healthy hints that Necrons will be a fourth faction, either unplayable, ala Winter Assault, or hidden for hype machine reasons ala Tyranids for DoW 2 release.

We've never seen a 40k game with current-lore necrons, where apparently each necron now has a personality???
    Are they still Egyptian themed

(Thousand Sons awaiting cease and desist order)

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    So stoked. Have some Chaos voice clips.

https://youtu.be/9-gSJW3sHXE?t=4m52s

This needs a heresy trigger warning.

Beloved Emperor, forgive me for clicking, I did not know.

• Options
    False Emperor. Corpse Emperor. Powered by the sacrifices to keep functional. The true dark gods will win in the end.

Khorne does not care where the blood is from as long as it flows.

So sad no Chaos. They are still my favorite. I will comfort myself with Orks I guess.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Kind of disappointed that they still want to do a 40k rts. Like starcraft already has its grip on the sci fi genre for rts. With blizzard seemingly completely unwilling to do wc4, a fantasy warhammer rts would be so much more welcome. And there would still be wwwaaaaggghhh! But less dakka and more choppa.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Kind of disappointed that they still want to do a 40k rts. Like starcraft already has its grip on the sci fi genre for rts. With blizzard seemingly completely unwilling to do wc4, a fantasy warhammer rts would be so much more welcome. And there would still be wwwaaaaggghhh! But less dakka and more choppa.

Heretic.

• Options

I shall point you to the very lovely Total War thread for your fantasy Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh needs.

DoW fits in a different niche than Starcraft in gameplay.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

the word you are looking for is digganob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y29aGTbg62A
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    False Emperor. Corpse Emperor. Powered by the sacrifices to keep functional. The true dark gods will win in the end.

Khorne does not care where the blood is from as long as it flows.

So sad no Chaos. They are still my favorite. I will comfort myself with Orks I guess.

pff... chaos... ran by an apoplectic paraplegic, a mollusk that can't follow through on a plan, a snot ball, and a hardcore S&M enthusiast that operates without a safe word.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options

Luckily I have the game for you, and it's out in about 2 weeks. Total War: Warhammer.

Also, Starcraft 2 is practically the only current RTS, DoW 3 is more than welcome especially with all the fans who've wanted it these last 7 years.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »

Luckily I have the game for you, and it's out in about 2 weeks. Total War: Warhammer.

Also, Starcraft 2 is practically the only current RTS, DoW 3 is more than welcome especially with all the fans who've wanted it these last 7 years.

More to the point, whilst Starcraft and DoW may technically be sci-fi RTS's, their approaches are EXTREMELY different. And it's the reason that I got sucked hard into DoW, but bounced off of Starcraft 2 no matter how much I tried to get into it

The gameplay design of SC2 was always heavily influenced by the e-sports scene, but this constantly lead them to make unintuitive design decisions to increase the micromanagement during the course of a game (what SC fans though typically refer to as "Macro"), all in service of trying to create a high 'skill ceiling'. Design decisions weren't made primarily to make things easier for a player to fulfil specific gameplay goals, and sometimes they were literally designed in order to increase the number of factors that the player has to keep track of and manage. So in DoW you can queue up units before you have the resources, because that's more convenient. Resources are statically 'owned' in the field instead of making you build an endless supply of worker drones to mine them, because that's more immediate and fun.

As an overall aspect of design, I don't feel as if I'm buried under a hailstorm of clicks that I just cannot keep up with, many of which could have been re-designed to be either more convenient or simply automated. I don't know, maybe things changed for the better in Legacy of the Void, but by that stage they had lost me.

In multiplayer, all is not subservient to an idea of absolute balance. And some people have constantly held this as a failing of the DoW series, but I've actually come to view it as a strength. They're allowed to do cool and crazy things. Hero units can be overpowered, and that's OK, because much like in a MOBA, everyone's got their overpowered abilities, and it's a question instead of working around them and using your overpowered abilities to the best. You're allowed to have things like Sync-kills, which aren't maximally efficient (you'd never see something like them in SC2), but look cool and give the game a tremendous character boost. You can have 6 or 7 separate races that it will be impossible to completely balance for, and that's fine, as long as things are roughly OK and every race is fun and unique to play. You can have a squad mechanic where the same amount of damage taken could mean every unit loses an equal amount of health, or a few take heavy damage, and this isn't strictly predictable or wholly in your control, and that's fine because it's still more convenient and fun. You can give units hundreds of voice lines above and beyond what's needed for base level player awareness, because it aids the atmosphere.

There will be like, a thousand patches for this game coming out, but if it's like the previous titles, I'll still be having more fun actually playing it.

And then there's the writing. Honestly, I don't understand how with all their resources, Blizzard still have such terrible writing compared to other companies. As trite, bombastic and outright ridiculous as the entire 40K setting is, somehow Relic managed to write the universe and the characters in such a way that I found myself interested in the events happening to them and how things would proceed. In Starcraft 2 I was disappointed with the writing and storytelling. By Heart of the Swarm it had just become irritating to downright nonsensical. I never played Legacy of the Void, and I honestly doubt I'll ever bother.

I could go on about all this. But in general, the DoW series is (to me at least), more messy, and a lot more fun. Largely because the two series have almost completely different objectives as games.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I'll agree with the bit about adding character. Space Marines mean business when they are shooting down a bunch of eldar and in a boisterous shout, "SHOW ME WHAT COUNTS AS FURY AMONG YOUR MISGOTTEN KIND!"

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yeah, Starcraft's writing from 2 on has not been great. Compare that with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBpk8N5Av5k

I still can't bear to get that ending, so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.
    fun fact: that was dictated by voice actor availability.

would do that over if i could.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping the DoW3 engine is going to be improved over 2's.

As much as I loved DoW2 and family, the game engine itself was poorly optimized in the best of cases.

I distinctly remember a rather fun build I could do with the orks in last stand where you could go high energy regen meteor spam and you would eventually lag all three players out of the game because the engine couldn't handle the terrain effects. Loved it.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.
    fun fact: that was dictated by voice actor availability.

would do that over if i could.

Less talk, more Last Stand 2.

• Options

I still can't bear to get that ending, so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.

Yeah, the writing in the DoW games has always been damn good. 40k is kind of a goldmine for sci-fi military stories, which is why there's so many novels set in the universe.

Blizzard writing is insultingly bad. Starcraft 2 is dumb as hell even for children, but as a grown man I have a very hard time playing their campaigns out of the constant feeling like they're talking down to me. I just can't stand that shit.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Between DoW3, WH: Total War, Battlefleet Gothic, and Eternal Crusade... not to mention Vermintide earlier this year.

This is a great time to be a Warhammer fan.

Don't forget: http://www.spacehulk-deathwing.com/

Dissociater on
  • Options

I know total war is coming out but hate total war games. I like dow's squad system, id just prefer a fantasy setting and the fantasy races. Total war doesnt really feel like an rts, but I really like the dow and coh gameplay. I just want there to be one like it with magic instead of lasers.

Also dow can be kind of depressing when you mostly fight immortal space marines who dont give a shit if you surround them and have grenades raining on them. Kind of kills the multiplayer experience.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Reinstalled Soulstorm... ehhh it hasn't aged as well as I would have liked. Was there ever playable Tyranids?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Reinstalled Soulstorm... ehhh it hasn't aged as well as I would have liked. Was there ever playable Tyranids?

Only in mods

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

No, the original DoW engine had a poor skeletal animation system and couldn't handle enemies that needed multiple limbs easily. This was why (apparently) Tyranids never made it into the game until DoW2, which had a much better animation system for enemies with multiple limbs.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

One of my favourite bits from DoW 2:

It's completely supplementary, but it does a good job of fleshing out the characters and the setting, and somehow humanising characters you wouldn't ordinarily expect to.

And from Retribution. Despite the fact that all the races had the same campaign structure, one thing that impressed me was how they gave each one their own individual storyline unique to them (basically videos 14, 15 and 17 here), and even tying back to earlier games.

On a related note, this chain is why I'm suspicious that Necrons may be on the cards for DoW3, if not on launch, then in future expansions.

subedii on
  • Options

Yeah, the writing in the DoW games has always been damn good. 40k is kind of a goldmine for sci-fi military stories, which is why there's so many novels set in the universe.

Blizzard writing is insultingly bad. Starcraft 2 is dumb as hell even for children, but as a grown man I have a very hard time playing their campaigns out of the constant feeling like they're talking down to me. I just can't stand that shit.

Last blizzard game I enjoyed the story of was the frozen throne . Pretty much everybody that made the companies games good has been gone for years.