As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Matrias wrote: »
    so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.
    fun fact: that was dictated by voice actor availability.

would do that over if i could.

You were a cast member Matrias? 8-)

manwiththemachinegun on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    First impressions?

Visual style could be promising. I definitely agree with what's being said about DoW2 pitched fights being difficult to "read" so changing things up is good if it helps that. Also, I like painting my armies in skirmish mode so not having dirt rubbed all over everything will be nice (hope we can get some cool special finishes like DoW2's abyss colors and various metallics though).

Not super-excited about base building being back, but I need to know more about how they're implementing it. If it's something more interesting than the typical old-school RTS dichotomy of either pathing disruption placement-shenanigans or random assortments of clutter then it could be neat as long as it doesn't get too micro-intensive. But if it's just going to be the same old shit then to hell with it and gimme something based off DoW2's fixed structures with researchable upgrades, and just a little of the turret-placement/generator camp type stuff.

Larger sense of scale? Sounds cool. I'm guessing this means less micro at the squad/individual vehicle level? The PC Gamer article linked on page one's explanation about Elite units definitely sounds like they're taking the place of DoW2's heroes and will get the lion's-share of micro gameplay. Not sure how I feel about that. I liked a lot of the bigger-ideas of DoW2's play, but felt like the unit-to-unit hard counter/soft counter stuff like Scout Marines using short-thrown grenades and/or carefully-timed special shotgun abilities to counter everyone else's early-tier power weapon melee options (to pick one thing off the top of my head) is a little more in-depth than I want in a game where I'm managing more than 2 or 3 units. I liked the basic ideas of organic cover, ambient structures you can hole up in, setting up heavy weapons with specific arcs, units leveling up as an incentive to fall back & reinforce rather than using meatgrinder tactics, etc. Basically my dream game would only walk it back a step or two from DoW2 levels of micro. Will we see position-restricted reinforcement ala 2, or freestyle click-mashing like 1, or will they get rid of squads and truly go traditional RTS? I wonder how they'll make transports worthwhile this time around? Maybe actually give us big-ass maps that take too long for most foot sloggers? Or maybe just not have them at all?

Simplified cover? That was one of the things I actually liked about DoW2 a lot, but if it's in service of the design focus for scale and cleaner visuals then I guess it's for the best. It'll also mean less pathing issues and control problems where the AI puts all your guys on the wrong side, etc. That was another aspect of 2's micro that I could do without; wrestling with the AI to make sure things were being done correctly.

At any rate, I loved DoW 1 & 2, so I have a lot of faith that it'll be fun whatever way they take it.

Edit: After reading the second PC Gamer article about the campaign; sounds interesting, I'll miss the DoW2 squad RPG stuff, but having an actual "story mode" RTS campaign again will be nice. Maybe we can see Dark Crusade/Soulstorm territory campaigns and DoW2's style as alternate game modes in expansion content? I'm not a fan of forced character/faction rotation (ever since Sonic Adventure 2), but I understand why they want to do it from a narrative standpoint. But the example of having to wait to play the faction you like seems targeted at Starcraft which is like... Yeah, so? You could also just give each faction a full stand-alone campaign and let players play them in whatever order they want (or just never play ones they don't want to). I liked the equipment system in DoW2 but it doesn't sound like it would really work with their design intentions for elite units, and if it has to die to avoid the random drop/loot farming aspects of DoW2 then good riddance.

Also, the Imperial Knight's name given in the article sounds feminine. Is that for the machine, or the pilot? Because if it's the latter, awesome!

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »
    Yeah, Starcraft's writing from 2 on has not been great. Compare that with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBpk8N5Av5k

I still can't bear to get that ending, so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.

Yeah, the writing in the DoW games has always been damn good. 40k is kind of a goldmine for sci-fi military stories, which is why there's so many novels set in the universe.

Blizzard writing is insultingly bad. Starcraft 2 is dumb as hell even for children, but as a grown man I have a very hard time playing their campaigns out of the constant feeling like they're talking down to me. I just can't stand that shit.

Last blizzard game I enjoyed the story of was the frozen throne . Pretty much everybody that made the companies games good has been gone for years.

Same. There was some kind of an ideology shift right after Frozen Throne, as if they actively decided they were giving their audience too much credit or thought by dumbing things down even more they'd get a bigger audience. When you watch all of the Diablo 2 cinematics together as one movie and do the same for Diablo 3, it's kind of staggering how much they've changed.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    So I'll start by saying I haven't played in awhile, so things may have changed. If they add a Last Stand 2 to this, I hope they add a bunch more loot options! I was really surprised by the lack of different gear options in that mode. Heck, make the waves drop different loot for different classes so that you can slowly build up your gear collection. It just felt like such a missed opportunity to me, and I really liked last stand too.

Strongly disagree; I liked the gear system in TLS just fine. As someone who regularly liked to switch up characters I think it'd be overwhelming if they each had enough different bits of gear to support what you're saying. That or a lot of it would end up being straight upgrades over other stuff, and part of the joy of TLS is your level with a given character really doesn't matter once you've unlocked their first (relic, ultimate, whatever it's called) and have a full set. Just that you know how to use whatever bits you have access to. I mean, some of the characters have lots of different viable builds by switching up this bit or that one. Sure some are better than others, but team comp and strategy can have a big impact on what works and how well also.

What characters were you playing that you felt like there wasn't a variety of gear options?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I still can't bear to get that ending, so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.

Yeah, the writing in the DoW games has always been damn good. 40k is kind of a goldmine for sci-fi military stories, which is why there's so many novels set in the universe.

Blizzard writing is insultingly bad. Starcraft 2 is dumb as hell even for children, but as a grown man I have a very hard time playing their campaigns out of the constant feeling like they're talking down to me. I just can't stand that shit.

Last blizzard game I enjoyed the story of was the frozen throne . Pretty much everybody that made the companies games good has been gone for years.

Same. There was some kind of an ideology shift right after Frozen Throne, as if they actively decided they were giving their audience too much credit or thought by dumbing things down even more they'd get a bigger audience. When you watch all of the Diablo 2 cinematics together as one movie and do the same for Diablo 3, it's kind of staggering how much they've changed.

Gotta concede though, for all of Diablo 3s faults in storytelling (which are numerous) at least Diablo has DEM HIPS.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I loved the base building from DOW1, it's what I missed most about DOW2.

I loved how each race had a different animation for building their structures, and how a drop ship or pod would drop off soldiers. But despite DOW1 being a base building RTS, I didn't really feel like the units were very disposable as they are in other RTS (except the imperial guard, but that's working as intended), so it struck a perfect balance to what I was looking for. I loved DOW2 but DOW1 is my high water mark for RTS games.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Gotta concede though, for all of Diablo 3s faults in storytelling (which are numerous) at least Diablo has DEM HIPS.

I loved Diablo 2 cutscenes so many memorable moments seeing the original hero trying to resist and fail diablos possession and poor poor Marcus narrating .

Or Tyrael being this mysterious, godlike being... and then he became human. You know, which wasn't lame or anything.

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So I'll start by saying I haven't played in awhile, so things may have changed. If they add a Last Stand 2 to this, I hope they add a bunch more loot options! I was really surprised by the lack of different gear options in that mode. Heck, make the waves drop different loot for different classes so that you can slowly build up your gear collection. It just felt like such a missed opportunity to me, and I really liked last stand too.

Strongly disagree; I liked the gear system in TLS just fine. As someone who regularly liked to switch up characters I think it'd be overwhelming if they each had enough different bits of gear to support what you're saying. That or a lot of it would end up being straight upgrades over other stuff, and part of the joy of TLS is your level with a given character really doesn't matter once you've unlocked their first (relic, ultimate, whatever it's called) and have a full set. Just that you know how to use whatever bits you have access to. I mean, some of the characters have lots of different viable builds by switching up this bit or that one. Sure some are better than others, but team comp and strategy can have a big impact on what works and how well also.

What characters were you playing that you felt like there wasn't a variety of gear options?

Well again, it's been a long time since I played. Mostly I played Orc dakka but other than a few options to swap abilities, there wasn't much variety in the gear. its been long enough that almost anything more specific I say will be misremembered. I just remember wanting more options because I wanted more faction specific options. If I recall there was 1 or 2 melee options? Heck, just skin more options so I can kit out my hero like I think he should look. I want a giant buzzsaw, not a plain dagger. Silly stuff like that so I can own my hero.

steam_sig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    What TLS2 needs is cosmetic collectibles. Hats for all!

I'd never stop playing...

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Well again, it's been a long time since I played. Mostly I played Orc dakka but other than a few options to swap abilities, there wasn't much variety in the gear. its been long enough that almost anything more specific I say will be misremembered. I just remember wanting more options because I wanted more faction specific options. If I recall there was 1 or 2 melee options? Heck, just skin more options so I can kit out my hero like I think he should look. I want a giant buzzsaw, not a plain dagger. Silly stuff like that so I can own my hero.

TLS gives you at least a couple of viable ways to play each character. part of the fun is coming up with viable builds. sorc for example:

*teleporting doombolter w/ reactive strike minions

*self-healing sword build with doomblast spam

or lord general:

*sniper/ valkyrie

*turret/ flamer squad

or my personal favourite:

*take aim shotgun deathsquad

granted some are better than others but no-one is stuck in a box.

regarding the main game i basically never play RTS', they're more multi-tasking than i can cope with, which puts me firmly in the DoW2 small squad/ no bases camp.

manji on
    None of what I mentioned revolved around viable builds. It was all cosmetic. I want MY hero.

steam_sig.png
  • morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I loved the base building from DOW1, it's what I missed most about DOW2.

I loved how each race had a different animation for building their structures, and how a drop ship or pod would drop off soldiers. But despite DOW1 being a base building RTS, I didn't really feel like the units were very disposable as they are in other RTS (except the imperial guard, but that's working as intended), so it struck a perfect balance to what I was looking for. I loved DOW2 but DOW1 is my high water mark for RTS games.

Yeah, I tried DoW2, and hated it. If I don't want to build bases I'll play HotS, DotA, or LoL. This is an RTS, give me my buildings back. Balancing resources and tactics was always an important and fun element. I understand being sick of the kind of micromanagement you get in something like Starcraft, but that's what I thought was so beautiful about Relic's squad system and numbers limits. Made upgrades vs. troops more valuable tradeoffs, kept things from getting too cluttered, and made control vastly simpler.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I actually still have never beaten the normal TLS. But I did beat Anvil of Khorne this week. Weird.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I actually still have never beaten the normal TLS. But I did beat Anvil of Khorne this week. Weird.

anvil goes in hard and never lets up, but so long as you can cope, you can win.

colosseum on the other hand takes ages to get going, but then has a massive block in the doppelgangers on 16. groups that don't communicate go down fast, but certain cheese builds (self ressing sorcs etc) also come back to bite you on the ass here. then you've gotta do it all again on 20 with a load of sub bosses thrown on top.

None of what I mentioned revolved around viable builds. It was all cosmetic. I want MY hero.

you know you can use the army painter for LS? my lord general is rocking tanith colours and a custom insignia and my marine has luna wolves colours and badge.

otherwise your appearance is limited by your gear, yes. don't get me wrong, i'm with you on reskins, but you can get a fair bit of variety in there.

manji wrote: »

you know you can use the army painter for LS? my lord general is rocking tanith colours and a custom insignia and my marine has luna wolves colours and badge.

otherwise your appearance is limited by your gear, yes. don't get me wrong, i'm with you on reskins, but you can get a fair bit of variety in there.

Yea, it was just more gear variety I wanted. I get there's going to be similar stats but I just looked across the swath of weapons the units in the games and books had and TLS had a puny amount. Even after it became quite popular.

steam_sig.png
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

writer. edit: for Retribution.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular

I realise you can't actually give details on anything, but are you involved with DoW3?

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I dunno man

The shit they're doing with Overwatch right now seems preeeeetty cool

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited May 2016

Well, pretty much all the new characters were great, so y'all can pat yourselves on the back for that.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited May 2016
    subedii wrote: »

I realise you can't actually give details on anything, but are you involved with DoW3?

yep. similar role.

edit:

Well, pretty much all the new characters were great, so y'all can pat yourselves on the back for that.
    aw thanks, but writing for that one was a team effort.

Matrias on
    True, it is hard to portray accurately the emotional depths and sensitivity of a Plague Marine.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular

yep. similar role.

edit:

I have but one question.

Is this game going to have enough dakka?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

yep. similar role.

edit:

I have but one question.

Is this game going to have enough dakka?

Enough dakka is an okymoron.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!

yep. similar role.

edit:

A lot of the credit has to go to the VA's for their work as well, they really pull those roles through, from the knowingly condescending Eldar, all the way to the most ludicrous Orky roles. The lines just wouldn't work without the delivery. Everyone really throws themselves into their roles, and the result is epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6cSEI1FLk

Are the writers generally in the room when the VA's are recording their lines?

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Relic has basically set the bar for all 40k voice work as far as I'm concerned. That also flows over into fantasy. If the total war orks don't feel as orky as relic's orks I'll be disappointed.

edited May 2016
    altid wrote: »
    Relic has basically set the bar for all 40k voice work as far as I'm concerned. That also flows over into fantasy. If the total war orks don't feel as orky as relic's orks I'll be disappointed.

Which just made me all the more disappointed with Space Marine. Mark Strong just... phoned it in. Didn't sound the least bit into it or even aware of how these characters sound. Someone should have just played him some clips of Gabriel Angelos in full on ZEAL AND FURY mode, and said "You hear that? THAT is the voice of 40K. Take it from there".

subedii on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

yep. similar role.

edit:

You can pat them on the back too!

edited May 2016
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I played many hours of TLS, especially because I couldn't get my character data to transport from my GFWL profile to my Steam one for Retribution (so I had to level up and unlock everything all over again :x ), but I've only beaten Colosseum legitimately once (I've also beaten it once using the bug that used to exist where you ride the lower-left corner gate columns up, then walk off-the-terrain, climb up the southern building then stand in midair & shoot). I've beaten Anvil a handful of times. Manji's got it right, if you can handle Anvil's early-middle waves you can probably handle the whole thing, but Bloody Colosseum's wave 16 doppelgangers and wave 20's all-bosses-revived (including doppelgangers) plus Chaos Lord in terminator armor with Bloodletters make it way more difficult. I think my Anvil clears were with Tau Commander, Imperial Guard Lord General, and Tyranid Hive Tyrant (but don't remember their builds), and I think my Colosseum win was with the Space Marine Force Commander because I seem to recall using mobility to circle-kite the arena and sacrificing a minion to buy time to rez teammates periodically.

Edit: however, teleporting shoota or rokkits mekboy and knife/heavy armor/battery/boss pole mekboy-wot-juices-up-farseers were my favorite builds to play.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

yep. similar role.

edit:

Well I like yer hat just the same.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2016

TLS gives you at least a couple of viable ways to play each character. part of the fun is coming up with viable builds. sorc for example:

or lord general:

*sniper/ valkyrie

*turret/ flamer squad

regarding the main game i basically never play RTS', they're more multi-tasking than i can cope with, which puts me firmly in the DoW2 small squad/ no bases camp.

There were a lot of options in LS, but a lot of them weren't actually viable for actually completing the level from monster health/damage, or because of bugs due to it kind of being hacked in (Plasma Cannon having to fire in ground target mode or it never going off due to the target dying before it fires).

Like all of the melee stuff on the Lord General was a giant trap to catch noobs in. The turret stuff really only worked with pre-mades, to take advantage of the fact you would be staying in one spot, otherwise the chaotic nature of later levels would make them pretty useless.

Morkath on
    edited May 2016
    Are the writers generally in the room when the VA's are recording their lines?
    usually one audio type guy and a story type guy is present.

Matrias on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    This is a rare oppurtunity.

Do you know why they went with the campaign structure of Retribution rather than do Dark Crusade 2.0?

edited May 2016
    Morkath wrote: »

or lord general:

*sniper/ valkyrie

*turret/ flamer squad

There were a lot of options in LS, but a lot of them weren't actually viable for actually completing the level from monster health/damage, or because of bugs due to it kind of being hacked in (Plasma Cannon having to fire in ground target mode or it never going off due to the target dying before it fires).

Like all of the melee stuff on the Lord General was a giant trap to catch noobs in. The turret stuff really only worked with pre-mades, to take advantage of the fact you would be staying in one spot, otherwise the chaotic nature of later levels would make them pretty useless.

I actually found it pretty easy to talk with randos and coordinate a strategy between/during runs. While I don't think it'd ever work for Wave 20 in Bloody Colosseum, I had a lot of fun with SM Force Commander using Plasma Cannon, Unshakeable armor, Fear of Xenos, and Dreadnought. Fear and Dread keep enemies away, Unshakeable means your shots don't get interrupted, and if you can get a handle on who your teammates are going to go after it works pretty well. Although where that really shines is when you have someone run Farseer with the group teleport so you almost never need to set-up/tear-down.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited May 2016
    Kadoken wrote: »
    This is a rare opportunity.

Do you know why they went with the campaign structure of Retribution rather than do Dark Crusade 2.0?
    sorry, have to decline on the questions. this isn't an ask me anything.

edit: not exactly a rare sighting of me either, seeing as I've been kicking around these boards since 2003 .

Matrias on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I can but hope that this will have as much Steve Blum as DoW2.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    The scenery chewing voice acting is always a treat.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Morkath wrote: »

or lord general:

*sniper/ valkyrie

*turret/ flamer squad

i completed anvil the other day with 3 necrons, 2 of them under 10 which is ridiculously OP.

given the sheer number of hours i've put into LS i've tried a whole stack of options. even the less than optimal stuff i sort of enjoy from a RP/ headcanon perspective. stuff like trying to make a hellblade sorc work somehow i take as challenge.

marine feels the most pigeon holed. i'm not fond of non-melee builds, though i've seen someone make plasma cannon work with orbital strike.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I've put a combined total of 450+ hours on the DoW+DoW2 games on Steam alone, and that's not counting the ridiculous amount of playtime I put into the original before it was on Steam. I am real pumped for this, no matter what percent of which game it will be, because I loved both iterations for different reasons.

Are you the magic man?