As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stomach issues

13»

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll keep it out of the appeal. My basis is I acted in good faith and would never purposely do something to harm a client or the company. If I did wrong it's only because the literature I was given did not indicate a conflict of interest pertaining to this particular bit of information.

I'm not sure what to do about the HIPAA bit. Like, I can prove it wasn't a HIPAA violation via the law itself but I'm not sure how I can work that in. I doubt they'd take an argument of HIPAA said it was OK so it's OK! I definitely will refute it if the company pushes it as a deciding reason, though.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, in right to work states potential employees have the right to work at a company regardless of their union status. But it's a little more complicated than that because of other union-related legislation.

EDIT: Never mind, misunderstood.

Right to work is the positive way of saying you can work without being forced to fund Union dues in your employ (which sounds great to an uninformed voter block but essentially screws over labor). In Florida (and many other states) "At Will" termination is directly tied to the legislation for both, making them synonymous.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's the other way around, in right to work states potential employees have the right to work at a company regardless of their union status. But it's a little more complicated than that because of other union-related legislation.

EDIT: Never mind, misunderstood.

Right to work is the positive way of saying you can work without being forced to fund Union dues in your employ (which sounds great to an uninformed voter block but essentially screws over labor). In Florida (and many other states) "At Will" termination is directly tied to the legislation for both, making them synonymous.

I don't feel they're really synonymous. At will is a broad umbrella that ties into a large number of exceptions for when an employers don't have the right to fire you, encompassing a swathe of federal anti-discrimination laws, whistleblowing, wrongful termination and right-to-work union laws. Right to work is a much narrower set of laws under that umbrella that only has to do with unions, and it doesn't seem like it's applicable to the OP since I don't think he said he's in a union (and he would probably have gone to them first instead of a message board, if he was).

In some states, theoretically, right to work also provides protections to people who do opt to join a union -- the wording is that your union status has no bearing either way on your right to work -- but I don't know how that works in practice, or whether it applies to Florida or wherever.

• Options
    Got a new symptom. I've noticed my tongue feels stingy and food seems to be sticking a bit on my tongue. It's not super bad or anything but I assume maybe it's some sort of acid reflux during sleep?

I'll get it checked out when my insurance kicks in next Wednesday. Was just curious if the symptom sounded familiar to anyone. If it's acid I'll just take an acid reducer when I go to bed.

On the plus side I might be able to get Medicaid to cover my ER visit since I had no job or insurance in May and I've been approved for Medicaid in the past.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Sounds like anxiety-induced dry mouth to me. I got a similar symptom when I was very, very stressed out and having anxiety issues. You could also be getting a bit dehydrated since you haven't been eating/ drinking as much as normal.

It's hard advice to actually follow, but try and do something that takes your mind off of things for a while. Get the stuff that you absolutely have to do done in a few hours (call unemployment for the appeal, get ready for interviews, whatever) and then put it aside for the rest of the day. Ruminating over the same issues after you've done all you can is something I also struggle with, but it doesn't help.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Sounds like anxiety-induced dry mouth to me. I got a similar symptom when I was very, very stressed out and having anxiety issues. You could also be getting a bit dehydrated since you haven't been eating/ drinking as much as normal.

It's hard advice to actually follow, but try and do something that takes your mind off of things for a while. Get the stuff that you absolutely have to do done in a few hours (call unemployment for the appeal, get ready for interviews, whatever) and then put it aside for the rest of the day. Ruminating over the same issues after you've done all you can is something I also struggle with, but it doesn't help.

Good point. Also, while not trying to self diagnose here I noticed that I have a lot (as in, basically all) the signs of a stomach ulcer. Will need to keep that in mind when I see the doctor next. Unless that would have shown on the x-rays the ER did in which case nevermind!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So I ended up going to the ER after I started having substantial GI pain and puking up liquids. Unfortunately, several tests later they said my vitals were all normal. So outside a possible virus, this is psychosomatic and I have no idea what to do about that. I'm not consciously stressing about anything so I'm pretty lost.

Lemme tell you, I went to the ER about 4 times over 2 years when i was having Gallstone attacks, had 2 MRI's, 3 Ultrasounds, and they kept telling me that i definately was not having Gallstone attacks and couldnt figure out what the cause was. The only thing that finally tipped it off was me pissing Billyrubin in the ER urine sample and that probably only happened because i had a stone so large it was pressing into my liver. So basically, I have very little faith in ER doctors unless im bleeding profusely and need it to stop.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Good point. Also, while not trying to self diagnose here I noticed that I have a lot (as in, basically all) the signs of a stomach ulcer. Will need to keep that in mind when I see the doctor next. Unless that would have shown on the x-rays the ER did in which case nevermind!

Nope. They normally diagnose an ulcer by symptoms and whether they go away after a while on prilosec or another acid inhibitor. Unless there's blood in your stool or something that makes it necessary to do a scope. Without contrast solution or trapped air or anything, not many GI problems show up in imaging.

So maybe an EGD is in your future. If you can't get relief after seeing a GP they may send you to a GI clinic/gastroenterology practice.

IANAD but I do work in surgical services and have had to go down a very similar road. The best advice I have for navigating healthcare to get what you need.

Be patient
    Be persistent
    Be polite

I know you're in pain, but the amount of paperwork and steps that doctors have to go through take time if you want insurance to pay for it. Best of luck.