As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The USA Presidential Election Thread: Bad Hair Day

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I know it's the biggest political non-starter ever, but I would totally be fine with banning all guns ever until the end of days.

eeeeh, bare minimum it's still a good idea to enable and allow proper hunting

It's called a bow and arrow or a spear.

You know, proper hunting.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'd be okay if hand guns were abolished and we were left with hunting rifles & shotguns.

And firearms fucking terrify me.

Gun laws should be written like drunken games of Goldeneye from back in the day.

"For the next 3 years, our country will be Slappers and Proxies only"

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Just do what Australia did and ban all guns unless you can show an actual need for them, and then you get something that is functional for that purpose. Legislate education with an emphasis on gun safety and require proper storage or the permit is revoked or suspended.

Also allow people to keep guns at shooting ranges (with proper permitting and oversight) so that hobbyists can still do their thing.

Then snook the white liganta and immediately polish the dramentic shtakk because you're fucking dreaming if you think any of that will fly in 'Murrica.

and even if you did pass that legislation to ban private gun ownership, you'd still have to find some way to deal with the ~200 million guns that are already out there

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Just do what Australia did and ban all guns unless you can show an actual need for them, and then you get something that is functional for that purpose. Legislate education with an emphasis on gun safety and require proper storage or the permit is revoked or suspended.

Also allow people to keep guns at shooting ranges (with proper permitting and oversight) so that hobbyists can still do their thing.

Then snook the white liganta and immediately polish the dramentic shtakk because you're fucking dreaming if you think any of that will fly in 'Murrica.

and even if you did pass that legislation to ban private gun ownership, you'd still have to find some way to deal with the ~200 million guns that are already out there

But it'd be a start.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

no-questions-asked buybacks would be the main way

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    As someone who spent this morning drinking my morning coffee sitting next to some guy in a camo wife beater with a .45 strapped to his hip and feeling really awkward, I'd take the baby steps that let me avoid that.

I don't even particularly dislike guns. Range shooting is cool enough. Damn does everyone I see with a gun on have to be wearing camo or a cowboy hat though.

steam_sig.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I know it's the biggest political non-starter ever, but I would totally be fine with banning all guns ever until the end of days.

these methods are often substantially more inhumane to the animal

liEt3nH.png

I mean so is murdering it senselessly only to wastefully butcher it in an amateur fashion before making some awful culinary atrocity out of what little there deem worth using.

Either way it's dead.

steam_sig.png

I mean so is murdering it senselessly only to wastefully butcher it in an amateur fashion before making some awful culinary atrocity out of what little there deem worth using.

Either way it's dead.

It's a good thing that's not what I suggested, then.

liEt3nH.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Again, exactly what Australia did. And it worked extremely well.

But in America we had 20 children aged between six and seven years old shot to death, with an additional six adults also murdered, and the country collectively shrugged and circled the wagons to protect our right to own fuck-off weaponry that doesn't make anybody safer and is mostly useful for killing other people.

We truly are special yellow snowflakes here.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    As someone who spent this morning drinking my morning coffee sitting next to some guy in a camo wife beater with a .45 strapped to his hip and feeling really awkward, I'd take the baby steps that let me avoid that.

I don't even particularly dislike guns. Range shooting is cool enough. Damn does everyone I see with a gun on have to be wearing camo or a cowboy hat though.

Yeah, because those people are wearing all three of those things as part of an image. The rest are either concealed carrying or just not drawing attention to their gun because it's not a fashion statement or status symbol to them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there are four Ls in a row in that alleged word

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

You chase a herd of prey animals off a cliff or you don't eat meat goddamnit

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    there are four Ls in a row in that alllleged word

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Either way it's dead.

Worrying about humane hunting is just silly. You're killing it either way. I guess if it makes you feel better personally that's cool and all but I can promise you the animal is feeling pretty equal to the matter either way. Because it's dead.

Also rarely do people make a clean kill even with guns. You're pretty much going out there to torture something to death unless it gets really lucky.

They are delicious either way but I think people pretty up the hobby of hunting way too much.

steam_sig.png

Either way it's dead.

Worrying about humane hunting is just silly. You're killing it either way. I guess if it makes you feel better personally that's cool and all but I can promise you the animal is feeling pretty equal to the matter either way. Because it's dead.

Also rarely do people make a clean kill even with guns. You're pretty much going out there to torture something to death unless it gets really lucky.

They are delicious either way but I think people pretty up the hobby of hunting way too much.

Uh, dude, there is a huge gulf between humane and inhumane killing. There's a reason why murder charges have different levels to them, even though the victims are dead in the end either way and that's because causing intentional suffering to another living being is incredibly fucked up. There's a little matter called empathy and since most animals have enough cognizance to feel and understand pain, it absolutely applies to them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it actually does indeed make a difference in how much pain the animal feels before it dies

PNk1Ml4.png

Either way it's dead.

You seem to have a bone to pick with something I was never addressing, especially since I personally don't even care if someone actually uses the meat of the animal.

liEt3nH.png
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

But in America we had 20 children aged between six and seven years old shot to death, with an additional six adults also murdered, and the country collectively shrugged and circled the wagons to protect our right to own fuck-off weaponry that doesn't make anybody safer and is mostly useful for killing other people.

Sadly, family heirlooms and collectibles get conflated with a lot of the tactical firearms that are part of mass shootings and I'd wager that's a reason a lot of gun owners get antsy about any kind of limitation on the 2nd amendment. It's an emotional response that could be completely avoided if it were conveyed that antiques, hunting rifles, shotguns, revolvers and the like (weapons that are slow to fire and reload) were separated from legislation that required a restriction on the sale of firearms that have a distinct militaristic purpose (weapons that fire rapidly, have large magazines and are quick to reload).

But, that's not sensational enough and it doesn't make exciting press copy about the matter. It's easy to agitate people when it's an all-or-nothing binary about gun ownership; sensible legislation for registry, sale and ownership isn't sexy enough nor polarizing enough to make the news. Firearms manufacturers have incredible lobbying power and the loss of a single sale of a single semi-automatic pistol isn't so much about the PROTECTION OF JESUS-FREEDOM-EAGLE than it is about protecting the bottom line.

Personally, I'd just like to see the laws that are already on the books get enforced in the proper manner and gun shows are a viable start since all kinds of shady shit goes on there.

Either way it's dead.

Speaking as an animal I would vastly prefer my death be as close to instantaneous as physics allows, please do not bother to ask my remains for their opinion, you are correct in that my dead body will be neutral on the subject

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

there are people who use hunting as a way to make their dicks look big but also it is a legitimate form of obtaining meat and controlling wildlife populations

PNk1Ml4.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    guns are good for hunting

also good for finding a defunct washing machine, packing it full of explosives, and trying to blow it up by shooting at it from a safe distance

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'd be okay if hand guns were abolished and we were left with hunting rifles & shotguns.

Oh yeah, definitely, more realistically this is my stance as well.

But if somebody wished away all firearms I would have a positive reaction. At least until whatever the horrible consequences are show up.

Jasconius wrote: »

also good for finding a defunct washing machine, packing it full of explosives, and trying to blow it up by shooting at it from a safe distance

Right up until you're getting washer-shrapnel yanked out of your thigh and end up with a large tab at the emergency room.

Right up until you're getting washer-shrapnel yanked out of your thigh and end up with a large tab at the emergency room.

that basically cant happen

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Is any legislation going to matter in 20 years when you can 3d print guns?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    yes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

The last thing we need is a bunch of Stand users running around

That's not safe for anyone.

Oh yeah, definitely, more realistically this is my stance as well.

But if somebody wished away all firearms I would have a positive reaction. At least until whatever the horrible consequences are show up.

Horrible Consequences:

1. Zombies - not gonna happen unless one of the 400 or so species of cordyceps mutates to control humans, so you're in the clear ... for now
    2. Extra-terrestrial invaders - any race savvy enough to navigate the annihilating forces of space will be either extremely blase about homo sapiens or generally peaceful, total non-issue
    3. North Korea - ain't invading anything anytime soon, we're good there as well
    4. Everyone invades America at once - the only possible outcome of a second term for President Donald Trump, less likely than cordyceps mutation, much more likely everyone has already moved to Canada, so you'll need guns, but only ones big enough to kill a charging moosebear, the deadliest of Canada's wildlife

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

Sadly, family heirlooms and collectibles get conflated with a lot of the tactical firearms that are part of mass shootings and I'd wager that's a reason a lot of gun owners get antsy about any kind of limitation on the 2nd amendment. It's an emotional response that could be completely avoided if it were conveyed that antiques, hunting rifles, shotguns, revolvers and the like (weapons that are slow to fire and reload) were separated from legislation that required a restriction on the sale of firearms that have a distinct militaristic purpose (weapons that fire rapidly, have large magazines and are quick to reload).

But, that's not sensational enough and it doesn't make exciting press copy about the matter. It's easy to agitate people when it's an all-or-nothing binary about gun ownership; sensible legislation for registry, sale and ownership isn't sexy enough nor polarizing enough to make the news. Firearms manufacturers have incredible lobbying power and the loss of a single sale of a single semi-automatic pistol isn't so much about the PROTECTION OF JESUS-FREEDOM-EAGLE than it is about protecting the bottom line.

Personally, I'd just like to see the laws that are already on the books get enforced in the proper manner and gun shows are a viable start since all kinds of shady shit goes on there.

I'm not unsympathetic to the emotional argument that firearm heirlooms are important to people, but the trouble with that is you need to draw very bright lines delineating what is okay in those situations. Otherwise everybody is suddenly going to have a very emotional story to tell about their pistols so that they get to hold onto them. You would probably need to implement some kind of law that says they can be stored in a box at a gun range or something like that, under lock and key, and with proper licensing for ownership, which is pretty much the same situation for hobbyists.

And I know, for people who have memories of loved ones attached to their guns, that really sucks, but I am far more sympathetic to honoring the memories of families of people who are killed by guns.

If I had a very specific genie and I could make a wish that could only take guns out of the entire general population, but was unable to make an exception for heirlooms, I would still make that wish every time.

joshofalltrades on

'Safe distance' is a relative term; my cousin was EOD overseas and even the smallest explosive can fling some metal a fuck-off distance. Besides, if you're packing a washer full of explosives to blow it up for funsies, I have serious doubts about you should even operate a motorized vehicle.

If you like to pack appliances with explosives and shoot them with guns I reccomend wearing a helmet, like all the time, even in the shower or when you're asleep

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    what is EOD?!

Explosive Ordinance Disposal

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bomb disposal iirc?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

'Safe distance' is a relative term; my cousin was EOD overseas and even the smallest explosive can fling some metal a fuck-off distance. Besides, if you're packing a washer full of explosives to blow it up for funsies, I have serious doubts about you should even operate a motorized vehicle.

But then I couldn't shoot at it from my car

what if you ramped over the washing machine filled with explosives and then shot directly below you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    One time I wrote a story for the paper, based on a police report I saw, about a guy who shot at someone's pet deer with a crossbow from their truck while stopped at a red light.

That was a weird town.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if you ramped over the washing machine filled with explosives and then shot directly below you

we dont have that kind of technology

This discussion has been closed.