As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Thread: Shaymin you if you don't get your Shaymin through Mystery Gift this month!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    how does that work with eevee anyway

do you just get a random eeveelution or

according to my coworker, yes

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Does leveling up pokemon help me level up? Or nah?

leveling up, no, but evolving your pokes does give you a nice juicy exp bump

Well, to continue my line of question as the game teaches you essentially nothing, how do you evolve a pokemon? I mean, in the games you level them up to evolve them.

Open a pokemon's page by clicking it in the Pokemon menu, you'll have two options available. "Power Up" or "Evolve". Power Up costs stardust and candies, evolving only costs candies. You get candies by hatching that pokemon from an egg, capturing others of that pokemon, or trading others of that pokemon.
    All candies are specific to that evolutionary path, so Pidgey candies work for Pidgeotto and Pidgeot.

Oh geezus I need a lot of candies for some of these guys. Won't be doing any evolutions any time soon I guess.

One of the good things is that for each pokemon you catch you get 3 candies for that pokemon. For each one you transfer, you get one. So you have a lot of incentive to catch lots of them. Magikarp may be the hardest single evolution and takes 400 candies to turn into Gyarados.

Transfering pokemon is at the bottom of each Pokemon's individual screen, and you'll need to scroll down to find it. Hitting transfer sends them to professor handsome-parallel-Rick, which removes them from your inventory and gives you a candy. You will not be able to get them back which is a good reason why there's a pop up to make sure.

Something else you might watch is the CP level of the pokemon. In the pokemon menu, and the page for each one individually, it lists "CP: [Amount]" which is their combat power. This is used to give you a good idea of the Pokemon's ability in fighting at Gyms. You generally want to have a higher CP than your opponent.
    The CP is raised through Power Up and Evolving the pokemon. Evolving does more to boost your CP than powering up, and it doesn't change the cost of Powering Up. You wont be able to fight or train at a gym until level 5, so don't worry about it too much.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I saw a rumor saying it is tied to the special attack the eevee has. I forget how it lines up, though.

LTM on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    9QnaRlt.jpg
    Who's this assho-
    It's ya boi
    Oh. Lookin' good man.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    cameron does not approve

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    So the servers are borked or what? I got this yesterday and have found nothing beyond my initial Pokemon. It isn't tracking how far I've been walking either.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    9QnaRlt.jpg
    Who's this assho-
    It's ya boi
    Oh. Lookin' good man.

fuck i've once again been owned

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Mike Blais, 11, hunts for Pokemon in the tall grass.

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    9QnaRlt.jpg

It's ya boi
    tumblr_mm3m2tO73Y1rmjdo4o1_1280.gif

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Does evolving a pokemon into its second form (Pidgeotto into a Pidgeot, for example) give significantly more XP than evolving a base form into its first form?

Obviously I'd want to do it at least once to get the 'dex entry, but after that is it more efficient for me to use all that pidgey candy to evolve multiple pidgeys into pidgeottos instead of a much smaller number evolving twice?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Does evolving a pokemon into its second form (Pidgeotto into a Pidgeot, for example) give significantly more XP than evolving a base form into its first form?

Obviously I'd want to do it at least once to get the 'dex entry, but after that is it more efficient for me to use all that pidgey candy to evolve multiple pidgeys into pidgeottos instead of a much smaller number evolving twice?

Evolving is a flat exp gain regardless of which pokemon you're evolving into.
    That being said, there is a bonus for a "new" evolution. So it's still fairly worthwhile to do it at least once. After that, yeah, just spam your pidgeys to pidgeottos.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    you better believe I scanned that copy for instinct propaganda

big ups to the editor who kept mike blais' yellow journalism out of the press

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mike Blais, 11, hunts for Pokemon in the tall grass.

I SHAVED FOR THIS PICTURE YOU FUCK

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

same exp, always 500 for evolving, although you'll get EXP the first time you fill the dex

if you wanna be efficient just level up pidgeys until you get to 10 and then worry about getting a pidgeot
    you better believe I scanned that copy for instinct propaganda

big ups to the editor who kept mike blais' yellow journalism out of the press

it's fucked up that he didn't use the picture showing my chest where I tatooed zapdos with the caption "I sing the body electric"

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Jesus, yellow team nerds would have lana del ray tats. Ugh

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So if anyone else is in Austin, auditorium shores is charmander country.

I only need like 22.5 more to get a Charizard!

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    They're about to talk about Pokemon GO on Norway's largest summer talk show and it's going to be so embarrassing

The game isn't even out here yet

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    it's worth noting that I caught a Venonat in that picture

you guys get that tidbit before I do my AMA

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    If you wanna level fast it's all about 2k eggs, pidgey, caterpie and weedle, evolve them as soon as you hit 12 candies for the 500 exp (ideally with a lucky egg active).

If you wanna prioritise maxing your dex you wanna save up 61/124 candies for the 3 stage evolutions and choose your highest cp poke for uplift.

25k exp for lv19 so I think I'll swing back to filling my dex.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Found a gym I didn't know about within walking distance of my work! It's a bit far (1.1 km according to my egg) but if I bring sneakers to work and maybe a water bottle it won't be a problem. I was sooooo close to taking it down - but if my son comes to pick me up from work today I'm sure we can do it. It's a bit off the beaten path so hopefully we can hold it a day.

I came back from my walk and my whole team wanted an explanation of the app because it had been so big in the news.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Productive lunch outing. Hatched a Caterpie, caught another and some Weedles to get first Metapod/Kakuna, got a Krabby, and hit up some poke-spots (though I'm outpacing how many balls I'm bringing in. Down to about 20)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    They're about to talk about Pokemon GO on Norway's largest summer talk show and it's going to be so embarrassing

The game isn't even out here yet

Host keeps calling it Pokeyman Go

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    there was a period here in the mid 90s where there was a mini craze with these little collectable rubber figures called monster in my pocket

all based on horror/mythology

konami even made a game about it

i understand it was why game freak were forced to name it pokémon instead of pocket monsters in the west

294b8430b7620481feb3a3221df834a3.jpg

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Google permissions are now set appropriately

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    During lunch I cracked open Lucky Egg and had an evolve session. Got a 1000+ CP Flareon and lots of new pokes like Magneton, Electrode, and a ton of Dugtrio, Raticates, and Pigeottos and leveled up from 14 to 15 in 30 minutes.

I had a very productive lunch!

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    there was a period here in the mid 90s where there was a mini craze with these little collectable rubber figures called monster in my pocket

i understand it was why game freak were forced to name it pokémon instead of pocket monsters in the west

I was fucking OBSESSED with these, and the video game.

I was so great at the video game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    i had spring heeled jack and dracula

it was always difficult to find them in stores because they were so popular

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Mythical\folklore monsters were exactly in my wheelhouse and I loved those things.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    So this happened in florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eLY8NUAFL8

• Options
    13606731_1305424122819891_8317532500607385931_n.jpg?oh=6f0046779ce5883d3f7771ec08a3610f&oe=57E9AC87

m e m e s

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

i loved these things, wish I'd hung on to a couple. first toy I remember going nuts for that i wasn't already deeply invested in on account of cartoons (here I speak of the teenage mutant hero turtles)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    New bear mon is great. He's Lenny!

The ghost fairy is interesting need to see it in game though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Google permissions are now set appropriately
    From their site
    We recently discovered that the Pokémon GO account creation process on iOS erroneously requests full access permission for the user’s Google account. However, Pokémon GO only accesses basic Google profile information (specifically, your User ID and email address) and no other Google account information is or has been accessed or collected. Once we became aware of this error, we began working on a client-side fix to request permission for only basic Google profile information, in line with the data that we actually access. Google has verified that no other information has been received or accessed by Pokémon GO or Niantic. Google will soon reduce Pokémon GO’s permission to only the basic profile data that Pokémon GO needs, and users do not need to take any actions themselves.

For more information, please review Niantic’s Privacy Policy here: https://www.nianticlabs.com/privacy/pokemongo/en

• Options
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Ok I hit my step goal for today(15k steps, currently at 6.68 miles) and the heat index is up to 100, time to call it quits.

Down to 13.5 charmanders to go.

• Options
    toybKPV.png

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Horrible pikachu doppelgänger is far and away my favorite gen 7 Pokemon so far

• Options
    dex entry for the swole pink bear reads 'because it can easily break anything in half, raising one puts your life in constant danger'

This discussion has been closed.