As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stellaris Thread

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm using Warp Drives, but it seems like sometimes you have to go the long way around star systems. My home planet is seemingly the closest star to our south-west neighbour, but trying to travel there and colonise it involves taking a 10 system hop around an unfriendly alien race.

I'm also not sure how to expand my borders - are there any ways outside of frontier stations? Am I paying a permanent -1 influence penalty to make a station that lets me access some moderately resource rich system?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Colonizing planets should probably be the main way you expand your borders

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm bad at managing the currencies

I have maxed out on Energy over and over because I can't find anything to use it on

and I don't know how you increase your intake of influence, it comes in sooooooo slowly

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    You can gain influence by declaring rivalries and upgrading your planetary capitals

Making a ton of frontier stations seems like a bit of a trap - your colonies will extend your borders as they grow in population size, and you can considerably speed up colony development by resettling pops

Newly colonized planets extend border initially by 3 and expand linearly until 12(unit[?]) when the colony is established. This is further expanded by 15%[?] for each population beyond 1.

Platy on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I am best friends with space turtles north of me.

We're both capitalists, they're ruthless and I'm basically the Ayn Randians

it's a beautiful marriage of turtle and fox

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    State of my galaxy so far:
    z0sps6t.jpg

I'm pretty glad i'm not on that inner arm. Beldross is at war with Provalguvor and Themmel, who have an alliance. Bilnoc is just kind of there, but that yellow system on their side of the hyperlane that connects my arm and theirs is Arrakis so... i'm gonna kind of need to get that eventually due to my whole desert thing going on.

Najlax were the first people I met, and immediately had a -140 with them because hey they are evangelizing zealots and i'm a materialist. Having an embassy plus losing the new contact penalty got that up to -20 though, so at least there's not as big a risk of them stomping over and causing shit.

My main worry is actually:
    7CNGdAC.jpg

Oh hello there Militant Isolationist Fallen Empire almost literally on my doorstep. Even with that distance between their systems and mine that gives a -33 border friction modifier with them. I wasn't exactly planning on settling in that little area directly to their SE but it's still a worry I really would prefer not having.

Having almost that entire arm to myself gives me a lot of time to just turtle in and see how things shake out. Like I said earlier there's a couple more desert planets in my immediate vicinity I can settle on, plus a few more arid and tropical ones that I have the technology to terraform into deserts. I just need to see how much that'd cost.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Species lifespan increases are also influence savers, since you're replacing your leaders less often

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    You can apparently also gain influence in other ways like establishing protectorates over species to whom you have granted FTL technology

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I'm using Warp Drives, but it seems like sometimes you have to go the long way around star systems. My home planet is seemingly the closest star to our south-west neighbour, but trying to travel there and colonise it involves taking a 10 system hop around an unfriendly alien race.

I'm also not sure how to expand my borders - are there any ways outside of frontier stations? Am I paying a permanent -1 influence penalty to make a station that lets me access some moderately resource rich system?

For some reason I thought you had to have a planet in your territory before you could colonize. That is not the case. It just can't be in anyone else's territory.

So I think the frontier stations are for temporary border expansion mostly. I guess if you had a real nice set of space mining opportunities you could use one. Or to to box out someone else from an area.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    RubberAC wrote: »
    playing as the friendliest peaceful mushroom men and nothing has been difficult so far except gaining influence. I'm at a point where i don't have enough to replace my rapidly dying-of-old-age dudes and im making... +1 influence? the only ways i can see to get it are -fully upgrading- a main building, which i don't even have the possibility of yet, or starting rivalries that i do not want to do.

There's technologies that can help, but you kind of have to luck into those

But I also found that the moment I sectored off like three planets, my influence went up by two points a month. Not entirely sure why! But if you're expanding still, might want to think about adding more sectors

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I was getting +1 influence for a really long time until the game suddenly decided to drop all of the influence boosting techs all at once and now I'm at +6

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Men1sNs.jpg

oh

oh ok

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I found Sol as my space turtles, they were in the middle of the medieval era, so I am teching them up to be space buddies.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Wait

did you find that at the beginning of that game

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Men1sNs.jpg

oh

oh ok

Pip

You have to find them and turn them on

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Wait

did you find that at the beginning of that game

yes

yes I did

• Options
    I started a new game because I did not realize how important influence is my first go round

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So theoretically, if I happen to find a really great planet that already has a pre-FTL civilization on it

If the rest of the intergalactic community hadn't discovered them yet, would they notice if I say... killed them all and took their planet?

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So theoretically, if I happen to find a really great planet that already has a pre-FTL civilization on it

If the rest of the intergalactic community hadn't discovered them yet, would they notice if I say... killed them all and took their planet?

Alexander, rumors only grow

and we both know

what we know

• Options
    edited May 2016
    If your policies allow for purging, you can just purge them

They might have a habitat preference or traits which make them useful though, you can example employ a strong race as shock troops

They also tend to spawn with very specialized traits the player can't select for their own race, for example I found a race of "proles"

[edit]
    There's a class of Fallen Empire which might take offense if you purge or enslave indigenous populations

Platy on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My policies DO allow for purging, in fact

Which other species don't like, but they only don't like it a little bit

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Y'all got some tiny galaxy shots

9lTNGbZ.jpg

• Options
    I encountered not one, but two other races who look exactly like my worms

It's like an Arthropoid version of Star Trek

• Options
    I found Sol as my space turtles, they were in the middle of the medieval era, so I am teching them up to be space buddies.

Update: They are Xenophobic Militant Pacifists, fuck these guys.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wait how can you be a militant pacifist

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

img]

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    This game is super dope

Can't wait for the $300 in DLC and all the mods

Like the day 1 warhammer mod

• Options
    Just give me more portraits and racial traits

Also more traits for leaders?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    This game is super dope

You're in luck!

Stellaris already has a Warhammer 40K mod
    There are a few immutable laws that govern the universe, and one of them is "If it's moddable, someone will put Star Wars and 40K into it."

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

You get real mad at anyone that isn't a pacifist I guess.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Just give me more portraits and racial traits

Also more traits for leaders?
    Traits are deliberately very easy to mod, there will be a countless number of additions pretty soon.

• Options
    I encountered not one, but two other races who look exactly like my worms

It's like an Arthropoid version of Star Trek

Which also means they're very bangable

Well, maybe not the pre-sentient ones

• Options
    is it possible to pass around custom races like sharing name pools in xcom

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I dont see why not!

Ima do a quick restart with slighty different better hippy birds in a spiral galaxy. Ring isnt as fun to look at and there are no planeta to colonize and I wasted a bunch of influence

This ones the keeper

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    This game is super dope

You're in luck!

Stellaris already has a Warhammer 40K mod
    There are a few immutable laws that govern the universe, and one of them is "If it's moddable, someone will put Star Wars and 40K into it."

The Emperor Provides

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So how hard is this game to get into?

I can generally handle decently dense games, but every other paradox game I've tried (crusader kings, europa and hearts of iron) I've bounced clean off of so far.

I usually handle turn based games just fine, but something about paradox games being real time just crushes me, things just start slipping through my fingers and everything unravels. (Before anyone says "you can pause so it's totally turn based" sorry, but for how my brain works they are entirely different things and I have great success with one and abject failure with the other so far.)

But this seems like, maybe the most approachable paradox game yet?

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Fantasy example;

Wakanda, highly militarized society, but doesn't get involved in any combat unless you attack them directly.

• Options
    ok fine but I mean in the context of this video game where those are mutually exclusive ethos

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh, then Ethic's divergence might be able to do it. You can't pick it from the start, but I think you can get contradictory ethos in game.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Morkath wrote: »

Fantasy example;

Wakanda, highly militarized society, but doesn't get involved in any combat unless you attack them directly.

This is actually the kind of thing i'm working towards being in my game, since I never really do wars of aggression in strategy games. Who knows, maybe i'll have cause to change it up at some point depending on how big of dickbags my neighbors end up being.

My militarism's +50% to cost of creating alliances probably means i'm never going to formally be buddies with anyone even if they like me.

Aistan on