Options

Stellaris Thread

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there is not a lot going on in my galaxy right now. mostly because I wiped everyone out. I did have a new faction arise when a former empire rebelled against me but I put them down in brutal fashion.

gvHQRzi.jpg

spent a good 10 years consolidating all my territory and building everything up, I conquered 3 empires nearby. making them vassals and integrating them takes probably 25 years total, but it gives you their entire fleet and everything so there's merit in it.

no one is safe, when I meet developing cultures my immediate thought is "free colony!". die fungoids

1vcWX7U.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    The X-Com project is cancelled.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    we are the penguins and our numbers are many

wondering what it takes to put down these remnant empires though. I'm starting to field battleships with particle lances and they are still overwhelming strength

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Arrrgh is there any dang way to tell how far a Frontier Outpost will expand your borders?

Because goddammit I tried to get 3 planets, only got 1. Dammit.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Frontier outposts seem mostly kind of worse in every way than just colonizing a nearby planet, unless there's absolutely nothing nearby to colonize.

I kind of fucked my first game by building too many outposts.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Frontier outposts seem mostly kind of worse in every way than just colonizing a nearby planet, unless there's absolutely nothing nearby to colonize.

I kind of fucked my first game by building too many outposts.

What sucks is when you have an outpost right on your border with another empire and no colonized world nearby

No way to take it away without ceding territory so you just have to eat the influence cost!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I bought this game

Any tips for a newb? I'm a Civ vet but I suck at EU and CK so

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I bought this game

do you at least have a passing familiarity with how other paradox games work?

my best tip is to go watch somebody like arumba or ddrjake on youtube/twitch and see what they do
    they tend to be pretty good about explaining their reasoning and what it is exactly that they are doing

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I bought this game

my best tip is to go watch somebody like arumba or ddrjake on youtube/twitch and see what they do
    they tend to be pretty good about explaining their reasoning and what it is exactly that they are doing

My familiarity is passing in the sense that gas is passing

aaaaayyyy I'm saying I'm terrible

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    this game is approximately one million times easier to learn than euiv

there is even a little robot who walks you through your opening turns!

some systems will be a little opaque at first but i don't think there's anything you couldn't figure out just by playing the game

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I bought this game

They don't tell you about planetary edicts and those seem pretty useful but cost a ton of influence

Influence accumulates real slowly sort of regardless of what you do especially early on so don't go willy nilly with it

Don't start any fights you can't win and be aware that other people don't necessarily operate on the same technological branch as you do

It's pretty easy to understand, all told!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    1I0FVNQ.jpg

heres the new game

look at the land grab for the glorious Foundation of Goku in the form of a outpost I actually have to much influence now that I understand what it does! but also spiral galaxies cramp everyone in and all these aliens are jerks about letting my civilians through

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The most important thing I learned the hard way is that the different weapon types and ship sizes counter each other, so don't let the computer design your ships (annoyingly it will load you up all on the one weapon and defense type you have the most researched Paradox pls) and don't be like yes I finally unlocked battleships, time to blot out the sun with my mountains of steel (you will torn to shreds by corvettes you can't hit).

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The most important thing I learned the hard way is that the different weapon types and ship sizes counter each other, so don't let the computer design your ships (annoyingly it will load you up all on the one weapon and defense type you have the most researched Paradox pls) and don't be like yes I finally unlocked battleships, time to blot out the sun with my mountains of steel (you will torn to shreds by corvettes you can't hit).

Yeah, I'm currently in the process of decommissioning my entire fleet to be replaced by something that can still hit corvettes. It's taking forever, but I'll finally be able to get revenge on those stupid slugs and retake Earth.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I just had one of the funniest fucking little quest chains.

A planet I colonized had some strange flora that released chemicals. Said chemicals made the inhabitants really happy. I let them use it, cause why not, +10 Happiness is cool with me.

Then they got lazy, so I sent in some administrative workers to clean up the colonizers' acts and get shit running again.

As time went on the inhabitants began to get very distant from the capital, and I let them do what they wanted instead of sending in administrative workers again.

Then they formed a faction that was very anti-capital.

But, instead of rebelling, the inhabitants formed a doomsday cult around the flora that got them high.

In response I sent a science ship to see what the fuck was up with that place.

Turned out that plant's chemicals changed and began to affect the inhabitants to the point that it was pushing the inhabitants to basically kill themselves.

We couldn't determine whether it was a defensive measure on the part of the plant, as the Conglomerate of Adanir decided to evacuate the inhabitants, wipe out the flora, and then resettle the inhabitants back. Which worked splendidly with no problems.

Just, what even.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Quick question are there mind worms

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    There is totally brain fungus at least.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    My galaxy got invaded by some extra-galactic eye-creatures. Thank christ they're on the complete other side of it from my empire.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I just had one of the funniest fucking little quest chains.

A planet I colonized had some strange flora that released chemicals. Said chemicals made the inhabitants really happy. I let them use it, cause why not, +10 Happiness is cool with me.

Then they got lazy, so I sent in some administrative workers to clean up the colonizers' acts and get shit running again.

As time went on the inhabitants began to get very distant from the capital, and I let them do what they wanted instead of sending in administrative workers again.

Then they formed a faction that was very anti-capital.

But, instead of rebelling, the inhabitants formed a doomsday cult around the flora that got them high.

In response I sent a science ship to see what the fuck was up with that place.

Turned out that plant's chemicals changed and began to affect the inhabitants to the point that it was pushing the inhabitants to basically kill themselves.

We couldn't determine whether it was a defensive measure on the part of the plant, as the Conglomerate of Adanir decided to evacuate the inhabitants, wipe out the flora, and then resettle the inhabitants back. Which worked splendidly with no problems.

Just, what even.

did not expect this game to recreate the plot of the happening

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    My galaxy got invaded by some extra-galactic eye-creatures. Thank christ they're on the complete other side of it from my empire.
    The AI is bugged and won't attack them, so, uh, good luck.

• Options
    hot tip: if you are not using your ships, put them into orbit around a shipyard, it reduces the maintenance cost

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I am

really bad at this, I think. I am terrible at multi-tasking in things like this

• Options
    I am

really bad at this, I think. I am terrible at multi-tasking in things like this
    The game also doesn't make many of the things you need to multitask easy or convenient. It could be worse (as previous Paradox games have shown), but I hope the first major patch also brings some substantial UI improvement.

• Options
    Is there a better way to access my spaceports than clicking into systems until I find one with a port?

• Options
    Is there a better way to access my spaceports than clicking into systems until I find one with a port?

huh?

your sidebar has them

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    God the map in this game when there's a lot of territory uncovered looks so cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

huh?

your sidebar has them

My sidebar has my core planets and my fleets, but not any ports.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm not playing so I'm just trying to interpret screenshots; what do the colorful, cloudy areas on the map represent? The ones that seem to intersect empire territories.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So, attacking gas grazers might have been unwise

Because now they're permanently hostile to me and while they're not particularly dangerous, they will just show up to harass some mining satellites every so often and it's annoying to have to send some corvettes over to go atomize them

That said, they do drop debris that gives you some research stuff, so eh

Also, my empire is tiny and so is my view of the system because I'm currently trapped between two empires who refuse to trade star charts for literally anything, oh well

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm not playing so I'm just trying to interpret screenshots; what do the colorful, cloudy areas on the map represent? The ones that seem to intersect empire territories.

I think currently visible space that's unclaimed by any empire? I don't have it either, just a guess.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Welp, my exploring is done for the time being. Down in the SW is another militant isolationist fallen empire that takes up all of that arm so I can't explore any further down there, and everything on the inner part of the galaxy is just a big mishmash of empires fighting over everything. I got super lucky with my starting location, I have basically this entire arm to myself.
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Those are parts of the territories that you have seen or have the star charts for. If you haven't been there you just get a greyish blob that shows how much area the empire has, but no detail about any of the planets.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to be fungus people

which is hilarious, because I'm repulsed by most fungus IRL

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I bought this game

My familiarity is passing in the sense that gas is passing

aaaaayyyy I'm saying I'm terrible

Instead of arumba watch quill18 because arumba is kind of frustratingly slow on the uptake.

Quill is so hardcore he made a spreadsheet to track if his research over time is grading properly with his population count.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    My space foxes are doing pretty good, they're pretty much the big bads of the galaxy now.

Sol is on the frontier of my empire... when I found it there were only irradiated craters and giant cockroaches :(

On the upside, those cockroaches are now my psionic shock-troops so it all works out in the end

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

huh?

your sidebar has them

My sidebar has my core planets and my fleets, but not any ports.

Click on a planet in the sidebar and then the spaceport tab at the bottom of the screen.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    All I want is a list of currently habitable planets in the systems I control.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to check other empires war polices?

Its the difference preventing me from getting a alliance

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I don't think you can see it directly, but it's effected by their ethics and government type.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    All I want is a list of currently habitable planets in the systems I control.

In the galaxy map view there's a checkbox down in the lower right part of the screen that turns on detail mode, which will put up all the icons for planets and resources all the time instead of having you need to select each system to see that.